PDA

View Full Version : who thinks the offspring shud go back to they way they played smash

ThEkIdSaReNtAlRiGhT300
08-13-2005, 11:58 AM
who thinks the offspring shuld go back to the way they were in the smash album when it was a little harder

respond please

Ronin
08-13-2005, 12:02 PM
would that make them more "hardcore" to you?

maybe you should learn to appreciate their innovation and different styles of music. thats what a truly good band can do. crap bands only stick with one thing, good bands can do everything.

ThEkIdSaReNtAlRiGhT300
08-13-2005, 12:05 PM
no it wouldnt be hardcore but it wuld be a harder than they are now i think i liked their smash album the best

wishomie
08-13-2005, 12:10 PM
I like there new stuff better.

Thucydides
08-13-2005, 12:54 PM
can't they be a bit more like the self-titled album? Now that I would like.

coke_a_holic
08-13-2005, 01:00 PM
The self-titled was their best cd in my opinion. I loved the intro to I'll be Waiting, nice bluesy riff. And the whole cd just had this creepy vibe to it. It r0xxz0rz.

Thucydides
08-13-2005, 01:02 PM
THANK YOU! Nobody else seems to realize this.

It is definitely their best cd - so bloody cool! I rather like elders and out on patrol though.

killer_queen
08-13-2005, 01:07 PM
The self-titled was their best cd in my opinion. I loved the intro to I'll be Waiting, nice bluesy riff. And the whole cd just had this creepy vibe to it. It r0xxz0rz.
Yeeees, I'll be waiting's intro is great. But I prefer Ignition.

CSX
08-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I've supported everything they've done and I agree that it's good for a band to try different styles.

But I have to vote yes, they've proven that they can do different things, it'd be great to see them take a few steps back for no.8

Apathy
08-13-2005, 03:20 PM

maybe you should learn to appreciate their innovation and different styles of music. thats what a truly good band can do. crap bands only stick with one thing, good bands can do everything.

They've already proved they can do everything. Personally, I'd love another album like smash, but If every album were like smash? Badness. You need a little bit of everything. Punk, the edgy Punk Rock from Smash, even the poppy later albums.

Sure, Good Bands can do everything, but don't you think that they'd be a great band if they could prove they can still return to their roots?

So far, they've stuck in the same pop/punk genre for the last three albums. So Either they try something completely new, or return to their roots.

Amazed
08-13-2005, 03:21 PM
who thinks the offspring shuld go back to the way they were in the smash album when it was a little harder

respond please

I don't think their music has changed much. They're still making great music. I hate threads like this. IMO, you are an idiot. Shut the fuck up!

Aimeht
08-13-2005, 03:21 PM
I think they should.

lost_nvrfound
08-13-2005, 03:35 PM
what's really cool about their newer stuff is that they are showing that punk rock doesn't just have to be one way... that it can have many tiers... which really opens up the future to a new generation of real punk rock (not like that 'GC punk' crap that lots of bands are producing)... so maybe there will be a revival of true punk rock...

their old stuff is really awesome too... its the kind of music that you can't help but to turn it up as loud as you can and jump around like a fuckin maniac... its harder with their newer stuf cause its a little more laid back... the old stuff is just so powerful and really gets the imagination going... i listen to their old stuff more than the new stuff for this purpose... mostly smash or S/T

'Can't Repeat' shows them sorta moving back towards what their old stuff is... it is more laid back, yes, but headed in the right direction...

what would make the best new album, would be to find a happy medium... you know, do some very classic punk type songs like they did in the early days, do some of their new evolutionized punk type songs, and then do some that are kinda in the middle, like 'Can't Repeat'... thats the direction i think they should head... especially since they've got atom and josh freese(sp) doin their new stuff and both of them are such powerful drummers...

so i didn't vote...

all in all... i think they should just be left alone to do whatever they feel like doing 'cause it'll be great no matter what they do... punk has been so influential on people... it deserves to evolve...

Amazed
08-13-2005, 03:41 PM
all in all... i think they should just be left alone to do whatever they feel like doing 'cause it'll be great no matter what they do... punk has been so influential on people... it deserves to evolve...

I agree with you.

lost_nvrfound
08-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I agree with you.
yay! .

Amazed
08-13-2005, 04:44 PM
yay! .

sarcastic?

lost_nvrfound
08-13-2005, 05:31 PM
sarcastic?
not in the least...

Offspring-Fanatic
08-13-2005, 06:09 PM
i love smash and all, but i love all the other albums too. i mean, if it were smash over and over and over again...that would get REALLY boring. part of being in a band is creating new stuff, not the same thing over and over again.

bd007h
08-13-2005, 06:14 PM
I agree with that yeah, but I prefer their older style better. Smash, and Ignition are 2 of their best albums, along with Ixnay.

Homer
08-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah.. uh... didn't they say just before Splinter that they'd try and go back to sounding like Smash with the album Splinter? Yes? Ok.

Anyways, they've already said that they'd like to go back sounding like Ignition, which is my favorite album.

ThEkIdSaReNtAlRiGhT300
08-13-2005, 10:42 PM
all the stuff ive heard from them is good dont get me wrong i love their music they are by far my favorite band i just like the way their earlier albums were

aeh20s
08-13-2005, 11:50 PM
i'm always amazed at how people can't accept the evolving nature of musicians and music. its just like Dexter says in Can't Repeat: "The past is gone and we can never get it back." bands evolve, the music changes but the heart stays the same (usually). believe it or not they make music to please themselves, and hopefully to please the fans. if you can't make the music that makes you happy then there is no reason to still be in the game. every band/artist that has survived for a decade or more have changed in very distinct ways. it is unescapable. so shed a tear for the past if you must, but get over it and look forward to new things. or just stick to your music archives and never buy a new CD because you'll just be dissapointed that it isn't the music of the old.

Amazed
08-14-2005, 04:50 AM
i'm always amazed at how people can't accept the evolving nature of musicians and music. its just like Dexter says in Can't Repeat: "The past is gone and we can never get it back." bands evolve, the music changes but the heart stays the same (usually). believe it or not they make music to please themselves, and hopefully to please the fans. if you can't make the music that makes you happy then there is no reason to still be in the game. every band/artist that has survived for a decade or more have changed in very distinct ways. it is unescapable. so shed a tear for the past if you must, but get over it and look forward to new things. or just stick to your music archives and never buy a new CD because you'll just be dissapointed that it isn't the music of the old.

true... (message too short)

dalaksta
08-14-2005, 10:56 AM
they played really well in Smash but they play really good now I don't know.

pretty fly 88
08-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Smash was a great album, but I think the Offspring are fine now. I think Ixnay and Americana are better CDs, and Gone Away and Pretty Fly are better than anything on Smash. They are still coming out with great songs like
Original Prankster, Defy You, Hit That, and Can't Repeat

TRUSTpunk
08-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Alright thats it!

Im tired of this stupid topic. Shut The Fuck Up!

You know its bad as it is that TRUST*Co broke up , they where one of my
favorite bands and I liked them just as much as THE OFFSPRING , learn to
appreciate their music now instead of acting like a stupid idiot.

Offspring-Fanatic
08-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Yeah.. uh... didn't they say just before Splinter that they'd try and go back to sounding like Smash with the album Splinter? Yes? Ok.

well a couple are smash-esque...

i find The Noose, Lightning Rod, Never Gonna Find Me are a bit harder than the rest of the song...maybe not close to smash, but getting there

hostage
08-15-2005, 09:04 PM
self esteem-bad habit-gotta get away-ect.
That's their most valueble work they rock when they play those songs.
They play them more than the other songs.my personal favorite is self-esteem because they just sound so much better than now with songs like
hit that-the noose-ect.These songs just don't rock out and make you want to go insane.So my point is that these new songs are too non-rock out material.

ThEkIdSaReNtAlRiGhT300
08-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Alright thats it!

Im tired of this stupid topic. Shut The Fuck Up!

You know its bad as it is that TRUST*Co broke up , they where one of my
favorite bands and I liked them just as much as THE OFFSPRING , learn to
appreciate their music now instead of acting like a stupid idiot.

ok no im not gonna shut the fuck up u stupid prick is it a crime to think that i like the way their smash album was? i didnt think so

willferno
08-15-2005, 09:17 PM

I agree with you but still... offspring said that they were going to do their heaviest album when they did "conspiracy of one"... I don't know for you... but for me it was not heavy at all (it was a good album but in my opinion it was their worst)... for Splinter they said they were going to get back to their ignition style and I think that they tried something that sound a bit of it...splinter was a great album much better than co1... it was kind of co1 mixed up with ixnay... but when I think about their greatest albums in my opinion it's Ignition, Smash and Americana... what makes those albums great for me isn't if it's heavy or not because ignition and americana are completely different... it's the fact that those albums had something like a theme or a topic all the songs were made to fit with the others... it's not like when you're lessoning to lightning rod and than comes spare me the details (2 good songs but not made to fit in the same album) I don't care if they're going to make an album that sounds like smash or americana... I want an album with unity that sounds great and that's what makes an album so good.

aeh20s
08-15-2005, 11:11 PM
i understand what you're saying. no, i don't think CO1 was their heaviest album. truthfully i don't think any of their albums are all that heavy. and i'm not saying that it isn't their mistake for trying to hype new albums and say that they sound like the older ones. but if so many fans wouldn't say that they wish for the older days then the band might not be so self-conscious about it. and i agree with you about the albums having themes, but in the same turn i feel that their entire catalogue of music has this wide arc of recurring themes. i almost feel like Dexter is writing the same songs over and over again with different lyrics and different tunes. that doesn't stop me from liking the songs though. and i welcome the fact that they go out on a limb and try something different. Pay the Man is one of my favorite songs of all time, and it sounds nothing like any other Offspring song. i like the synth in Hit That because its something different for them, i like Original Prankster because it was a different type of thing for them. its like at the end of the Disclaimer from Ixnay: If you don't like it, just don't listen to it.

Shutthefuckup
08-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Ixnay on the Hombre is my favorite album.

platinumpt
08-16-2005, 03:09 AM
Oh please give me a break... and please, could you try a little harder with your writing? It's hard to understand what you're trying to say...

On topic: I think that question doesn't have any credibility at all. The Offspring created their own style, and remained with it all over the years... so I don't see what's the difference... maybe there's more goofy songs now, but that's all... besides, Splinter has a few songs that could easily be on Smash, like Long Way Home, or Never Gonna Find Me. Stop crying, goddammit, and if you're unhappy, just throw away your albums, and go listen to gaysband and britney fuckingspears.

its one fine day
08-16-2005, 09:20 AM
my favourite album is smash

Sinister
08-16-2005, 09:23 AM
its like at the end of the Disclaimer from Ixnay: If you don't like it, just don't listen to it.

it actually says, "and if it offends you, just don't listen to it."

aeh20s
08-16-2005, 01:51 PM
it actually says, "and if it offends you, just don't listen to it."

damn. i haven't listened to it in a while. well, i stand by my point.

Kwright
08-16-2005, 02:51 PM
This would seriously bother me. As good as Smash was, to have them turn into a Pennywise would be a complete waste. I like the diversity of all the albums. Each one has a different mood to it. Smash was one of their harder albums, but if you look at Ignition, it was definately a bit mellower than Smash, meaning they didn't progressively become softer.

Splinter was definately a lot harder than their last couple of releases. Even in Hit That, the guitar is just pounding in the chorus. Then you have songs like The Noose, Long Way Home, Race Against Myself, Can't Get My Head Around You, Never Gonna Find Me, Lightning Rod, Da Hui. That makes up over half the album. Just forget The Worst Hangover, though. They never could get the Ska thing right after What in the World.

In conclusion, I don't think there's a real reason to revert. Their albums have shown diversity and have never trended towards a certain sound.

I look forward to what they will come up with next.

ThEkIdSaReNtAlRiGhT300
08-16-2005, 03:21 PM
i never said that i dont like their new music and i agree w/ whoever said they crreated their own type of music cuz they dont really sound like ne other band and on splinter i think its a great album i liked every song on the album if ne one thought i was critisizing the offspring im sorry but ur wrong cuz i wasnt

.:SMASH:.
08-20-2005, 04:48 AM

Now that was well said, couldnt put it better myself. No need to thank me for that either. :)

dalaksta
08-20-2005, 05:01 AM
They played well back then but they werent great they are better now than they were

Amazed
08-21-2005, 04:53 AM
*bump bump*

Sk8nstu_01
08-21-2005, 05:26 AM
there songs are better now that they have changed! :)

Mentally_Challenged
08-21-2005, 08:11 AM
I love the S/T, Ignition and Smash albums, but I don't think it would be right if they went back to totally playing how they used to. Maybe just a few songs.

ichoose90
08-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah, just let them do what they want. You never know, they could be happier playing what they play now than they did back then. Gotta think of the artist.

Flen
08-21-2005, 03:41 PM
I like all of their stuff and I must confess I like the new songs better, it just has something different that I like. But it would be cool if they can do two or three songs on a next album like the old style.

ruroken
08-21-2005, 04:50 PM

respond please
I wish people like you would shut the fuck up.