PDA

View Full Version : TSOL Money Situation

soundsofliberty
08-13-2005, 03:59 PM
After checking out the TSOL website for the first time in ages I noticed this rather sad story on the homepage:

In November of 2002 there was a shooting on stage at the House of Blues in Hollywood Ca while TSOL was playing on stage. TSOL was pulled into the mess because they were the band playing on stage at the time. Now, over two years later, while the two guys who were shot walked away with 2 million each, TSOL is stuck with a 14,000.00 attorney bill and they need some help. They cannot tour until this is paid.
People who donate and send their address to Jack will also receive a copy of TSOL live at the HOB. If you have already donated, just write to Jack and he can sort it out to get your free CD to you.

Its not my imagination that TSOL are on Nitro records and The Offspring (who are my favourite band before anybody jives) are indebted to them a great deal. Should Dexter and co not help them out rather than them having to ask for donations off fans? Just a thought would like to hear other peoples opinions on this too.

Apathy
08-13-2005, 04:05 PM
After checking out the TSOL website for the first time in ages I noticed this rather sad story on the homepage:

In November of 2002 there was a shooting on stage at the House of Blues in Hollywood Ca while TSOL was playing on stage. TSOL was pulled into the mess because they were the band playing on stage at the time. Now, over two years later, while the two guys who were shot walked away with 2 million each, TSOL is stuck with a 14,000.00 attorney bill and they need some help. They cannot tour until this is paid.
People who donate and send their address to Jack will also receive a copy of TSOL live at the HOB. If you have already donated, just write to Jack and he can sort it out to get your free CD to you.

Its not my imagination that TSOL are on Nitro records and The Offspring (who are my favourite band before anybody jives) are indebted to them a great deal. Should Dexter and co not help them out rather than them having to ask for donations off fans? Just a thought would like to hear other peoples opinions on this too.

That is a sad story, but some things don't make sense....First Off, Fourteen Thousand? Seems Like The Best thing to Do is put out another album to make more money than donations could ever take in. Also, 2002? You're telling me they couldn't make 14,000 in three years? Honestly, most normal jobs make way more than that every year. I'll bet they have it paid off by now.

Little_Miss_1565
08-13-2005, 09:34 PM
It also reminds me of the deal w/CBGB's being in danger...so many bands started out there and got huge, Elvis Costello alone surely could have paid CB's back rent, but no one did/has.

It depends on the terms of their contract w/Nitro. In short, there are surely other factors at play here, because what you've suggested is far too simple not to have been thought of already.

Venom Symbiote
08-13-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm sure Dexter would spend 14k a year on Twinkies.

He should front some moolah for them.

Kitten
08-14-2005, 09:25 AM
That is a sad story, but some things don't make sense....First Off, Fourteen Thousand? Seems Like The Best thing to Do is put out another album to make more money than donations could ever take in. Also, 2002? You're telling me they couldn't make 14,000 in three years? Honestly, most normal jobs make way more than that every year. I'll bet they have it paid off by now.

It's actually been tied up in court for quite some time, and it sort of got resolved with the HOB settling it out of court right before the case was due to be closed. Thus, they didn't have to pay for the band's court fees.
They have'nt paid it off yet, seeing as how they are not the Offspring, and surprise surprise, not all bands make a shitload of money.
They have been doing shows in the California area, and while they are close to paying it off, a couple of the shows have been cancelled, so they didn't get paid there.

Apathy
08-14-2005, 09:28 AM
It's actually been tied up in court for quite some time, and it sort of got resolved with the HOB settling it out of court right before the case was due to be closed. Thus, they didn't have to pay for the band's court fees.
They have'nt paid it off yet, seeing as how they are not the Offspring, and surprise surprise, not all bands make a shitload of money.
They have been doing shows in the California area, and while they are close to paying it off, a couple of the shows have been cancelled, so they didn't get paid there.

Any normal job can get you 14,000 in a year, If they released an album they would easily make the money. As long as a band has a record label they'll make 14,000 at least

Little_Miss_1565
08-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Any normal job can get you 14,000 in a year, If they released an album they would easily make the money. As long as a band has a record label they'll make 14,000 at least

Yeah, in a year, and it sounds like they need the money NOW. Also, $14,000 a year is pretty much bare minimum for one person to support him/herself in California, so forget about having that 14 grand in savings and able to go to a lawyer. As far as the album goes, That's if they have enough songs to go to album right now, and if that album cost no money to record, produce, mix, print, and distribute. Most bands who have record labels make far less than $14,000 per album. Not saying that this is the case with TSOL, but I wanted to quash the generalization here.

Kitten
08-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Nitro actually pulled an upcoming album.

Apathy
08-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah, in a year, and it sounds like they need the money NOW. Also, $14,000 a year is pretty much bare minimum for one person to support him/herself in California, so forget about having that 14 grand in savings and able to go to a lawyer. As far as the album goes, That's if they have enough songs to go to album right now, and if that album cost no money to record, produce, mix, print, and distribute. Most bands who have record labels make far less than $14,000 per album. Not saying that this is the case with TSOL, but I wanted to quash the generalization here.

They had three years already. if they would have gotten a job, any job above minimum wage practically, they could have paid off all debts two years ago. So they wouldn't need the money NOW.

Kitten
08-15-2005, 01:41 PM
They had three years already. if they would have gotten a job, any job above minimum wage practically, they could have paid off all debts two years ago. So they wouldn't need the money NOW.

Not many band members have phd's. And also, they didn't know how much it would cost, or that it would cost them anything at all. If the hob hadn't dicked them over by settling out of court, their lawyers costs would have been covered in the final settlement in court.

dexterisMYman
08-15-2005, 01:56 PM
dude so time for benifit shows for TSOL.

Kitten
08-15-2005, 02:04 PM
I agree with you.