PDA

View Full Version : anyone knows the meaning?

Total_immortal
08-20-2005, 07:38 AM
hey, anyone knows the meaning of "ixnay"??.... just curios... but i don't know wich language is it.... :confused:

Mentally_Challenged
08-20-2005, 07:39 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Ixnay

I'm still not really sure though...

wishomie
08-20-2005, 07:58 AM
ixnay is trying to be funny
ixnay is more likely to get covered in jello
ixnay is pretty good for what it is
ixnay is like a reunion
ixnay is rather a minor country
ixnay is slang for no
ixnay is pig latin for nix
ixnay is just as good
ixnay is a more refined record
ixnay is the offspring's follow
ixnay is
ixnay is pig latin
ixnay is slang and means to get rid of
ixnay is an exciting chapbook and magazine series based in philadelphia and edited by the poets jenn and chris mccreary
ixnay is immediately interrupted as "the launch" by boston begins over the pa system
ixnay is male too
ixnay is the best offspring album
ixnay is voiced over a crowd shout to hype slamboree
ixnay is as fleet
ixnay is my favourite

OffspringerD@n
08-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Ixnay on the Hombre means something like "punishment for the man" or some thing like that

Ixnay=Punishment(not sure though)
Hombre=Man

thatīs pretty much it

Conspiracy of One
08-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Ixnay=No?
Hombre=Man

wishomie
08-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Ixnay=No?
Hombre=Man
then the cd would be called "no on the man". that doesn't make sense

Conspiracy of One
08-20-2005, 10:16 AM
then the cd would be called "no on the man". that doesn't make sense
I'm no spanish expert. I hate the language.

Cejus
08-20-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm spaniard and I've always wondered what the hell 'Ixnay' means LOL

But now that I've read that it means something like 'No', it's much more clearer! It's like the negation of men. Like if you were saying NO to mankind; so it's like hating mankind. That's how I see it :rolleyes:

Conspiracy of One
08-20-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm spaniard and I've always wondered what the hell 'Ixnay' means LOL

But now that I've read that it means something like 'No', it's much more clearer! It's like the negation of men. Like if you were saying NO to mankind; so it's like hating mankind. That's how I see it :rolleyes:
Awesome, that makes sense then.

Total_immortal
08-20-2005, 10:31 AM
i do speak spanish but "ixnay" is no spanish word... i think it's latin... or maybe some aborigine language....

ZSTEIN
08-20-2005, 11:31 AM
its like a verb that means no so i think its like implying, and since hombre means man i think ixnay on the hombre means "Say no on to the man" or just
"Say no to the Man"

Hypodermic_89
08-20-2005, 11:37 AM
It could mean anything but The Offspring says they mean "fuck the man"

peko
08-20-2005, 11:41 AM
^ Really? Where'd you hear that?

Hypodermic_89
08-20-2005, 11:42 AM
^ Really? Where'd you hear that?

I've read it on several websites and I think I also heard Dex or Noods say it :confused: sorry for not being able to give you more info :(

offspring_freak_3
08-20-2005, 11:51 AM
i read in someplace that ixnay on the hombre means kill the man

Little_Miss_1565
08-20-2005, 12:05 PM
In Latin, "nix" means no.

To form words in Pig Latin, you put the first letters up to the first vowel of the word at the end of the word, with the suffix "-ay." For instance, "wrong" would be "ongwray," "douchebag" would be "ouchebagday," etc. Unless the word begins with a vowel, in which case you just put an "a" at the end of it---"arse" becomes "arsea," etc.

"Nix" becomes "Ixnay" in Pig Latin, a sort of geeky twist on the whole Pig Latin/Latin thing. In the context used by the Offspring, "ixnay on the hombre" (rhyming slang between Pig Latin and Spanish), it does indeed mean "down with the man" or "fuck authority."

G0tta_get_away
08-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Hombre is a dude
and ixnay means no/stop

sourskittle
08-20-2005, 07:45 PM
ixnay= no, hombre= man, man= government? so therefore no to the government FUCK THE SYSTEM

I agree with hypodermic

Total_immortal
08-20-2005, 07:49 PM
i think "fuck the man" is the right meaning.... i don't know why but it sounds like that to me... ixnay sounds like some kind of punishment :S

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Ixnay= Fuck
Hombre= Man.

As in the goverment 'man'.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
08-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Get Rid Of The Man. My spanish teacher told me :D

Telekinesis
08-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Has no one ever heard of Pig Latin? It's when you take the first letter of a word and put it at the end, folled by 'ay', like Little Miss Whatever said, eg. my user name would be, Elekinesistay. Nix means get rid of or cut out or something, like, nix the jacket it's really daggy. Some examples of Pig Latin in use are in movies, eg. in The Hot Chick the group of girls say "Itchbay Alert" meaning Bitch Alert. Also in Monsters Inc. Mike and Scully have a whole conversation in Pig Latin. Cheers!

Killboy
08-20-2005, 08:36 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Ixnay

I'm still not really sure though...

According to that URL, Ixnay On The Hombre would be something like "stop the man"

Offsprang
08-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Ixnay is not spanish, it is pig latin, and it means nix.
Nix means get rid of/ forget about, that sort of thing.
So... Ixnay on the Hombre would technically mean "get rid of on the man" or "forget about on the man," but the general jist of it is just:

DOWN WITH THE MAN!

That is what I believe, at least.

:p

Little_Miss_1565
08-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Out of curiosity, does no one read the replies that have already been posted before replying?

enchiladitos
08-20-2005, 10:06 PM
ixnay is pig latin and means no or stop i think

Marit
08-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Out of curiosity, does no one read the replies that have already been posted before replying?

I think enchiladitos's post just answered your question...

Sam
08-21-2005, 04:42 PM
i do speak spanish but "ixnay" is no spanish word... i think it's latin... or maybe some aborigine language....

I speak spanish too
and yeah I don't know what exactly "IXNAY" means

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-21-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm no expert, but I thought Ixnay meant "stop".

platinumpt
08-21-2005, 06:12 PM
In Latin, "nix" means no.

To form words in Pig Latin, you put the first letters up to the first vowel of the word at the end of the word, with the suffix "-ay." For instance, "wrong" would be "ongwray," "douchebag" would be "ouchebagday," etc. Unless the word begins with a vowel, in which case you just put an "a" at the end of it---"arse" becomes "arsea," etc.

"Nix" becomes "Ixnay" in Pig Latin, a sort of geeky twist on the whole Pig Latin/Latin thing. In the context used by the Offspring, "ixnay on the hombre" (rhyming slang between Pig Latin and Spanish), it does indeed mean "down with the man" or "fuck authority."
This is the person who's right. The rest is bullshit. I've heard that in an interview to Noodles and Dexter... I don't remember the name of the CD, it was like an half an hour interview... but I perfectly remember the "down with the man" expression. You're like a living encyclopedia Little Miss :rolleyes:

EDIT: And yes, I read the previous posts before replying (at least most of them, if the thread isn't too long)

paulrose
08-23-2005, 05:13 PM
right time to solve all this, "Ixnay" means "F**k" or "Get Rid Of" i heard dexter say about it on a interview cd i've got.

Conspiracy of One
08-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Well there ya go then ^

platinumpt
08-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Well there ya go then ^
Maybe it's the same CD I've heard... but I clearly remember the interviewer talking about "DOWN WITH THE MAN"

ichoose90
08-23-2005, 07:00 PM
^ Kind of like he said it. It's like 'Fuck the man.' Something like that.

ixnay = 'no!'
hombre = person

Dead Cheerleader
08-23-2005, 07:03 PM
nix means snow in Latin so no.

but..

nix n. - nothing; not so, no; to forbid, refuse, or veto

[German dialectal, from Middle High German nihtes, genitive of niht, from Old High German niwiht*: ni, not, no; see ne in Indo-European Roots + wiht, thing; see wekti- in Indo-European Roots.]

You gotta love dictionaries.