PDA

View Full Version : Tom Waits: Dead At 55

offspringis the best band
08-21-2005, 08:14 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/78/Tom-waits.jpg/225px-Tom-waits.jpg

Aimeht
08-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Never heard of him.

nieh
08-21-2005, 08:16 AM
According to where?

08-21-2005, 08:18 AM
According to nowhere. I just want to keep this thread around long enough for LM1565 to skidmark her underwear in horror.

:D

08-21-2005, 08:18 AM
And also;

Never heard of him.

HEATHEN.

nieh
08-21-2005, 08:20 AM
I've never been a huge fan of Tom Waits. Most of his music is just weird for the sake of weird (I like weird with a purpose, but not that) though he does occasionally come up with something pretty good.

Marit
08-21-2005, 08:23 AM
You shouldn't make jokes about things like this you stupid fuck!! It's not funny!
Fuck you, you asshole!!:mad:

08-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Weird for the sake of weird?
No. Perhaps abstract for the sake of art.
Or innovative for the sake of originality.
But not WEIRD. What's weird about a song like "Hold On"? Or "Tango 'Til They're Sore"? Or his early seventies stuff?

08-21-2005, 08:24 AM
You shouldn't make jokes about things like this you stupid fuck!! It's not funny!
Fuck you, you asshole!!:mad:

Haha. I got you.

Marit
08-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Haha. I got you.

Joking about somebody's death isn't funny.
I hope you die, and rot in the hell I don't believe in!

08-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Joking about somebody's death isn't funny.

Lol. Yes it is.
"I hope you die and rot in the hell I don't believe in"... Dude, I am so gonna use that next time I'm in a flame war. It sounds so hardcore !!!

Now cheer up. Joking about someone's death isn't funny, but wishing it upon someone certainly is, right? :)

nieh
08-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Telephone Call from Istanbul is mostly weird for the sake of weird. Step Right Up and Rain Dogs are both a bit odd but catchy so it's acceptable (though I'd never listen to Step Right Up regularly).

His more normal stuff like Little Drop of Poison is pretty cool and Watch Her Disappear is nice and dark, but a lot of the time the hooks aren't that strong. I don't actively dislike the guy, it's not like his music makes me cringe or anything, I don't skip over his songs when they come up on my playlist, I just don't find most of his stuff is really effective.

08-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Telephone Call from Istanbul is mostly weird for the sake of weird. Step Right Up and Rain Dogs are both a bit odd but catchy so it's acceptable (though I'd never listen to Step Right Up regularly).

His more normal stuff like Little Drop of Poison is pretty cool and Watch Her Disappear is nice and dark, but a lot of the time the hooks aren't that strong. I don't actively dislike the guy, it's not like his music makes me cringe or anything, I don't skip over his songs when they come up on my playlist, I just don't find most of his stuff is really effective.

Are you fucking kidding me? Telephone Call from Istanbul is GENIUS. The instrumentation, the way his voice sounds, the lyrics combine to make one of his most memorable songs from that mid 80's period. You're telling me it's not catchy? Fuck, I remember back when I first heard it I couldn't get the "never trust a man in a blue trenchcoat, never drive a car when you're dead" out of my head.

Sure, he's not the most NORMAL of songwriters (although he has written some of the most heartwrenchingly gorgeous folk songs ever), but don't be put off by some weird instrumentation. The songs are finely crafted pop gems. Most of the "weirdness" of his music comes from his choice of percussion and his vocals, that's it. Weird for the sake of weird? Jesus, say that about JANDEK or his million-and-a-half clones. But not about master Waits.

the_GoDdEsS
08-21-2005, 08:50 AM

Hahaha. What the fuck? Can you get more idiotic? Please do, it's entertaining.

08-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Bumpity bumpbump.

She's gonna hate me.

Preocupado
08-21-2005, 10:36 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/78/Tom-waits.jpg/225px-Tom-waits.jpg

That's my goal for style at the age of 70.

Little_Miss_1565
08-21-2005, 10:43 AM
According to nowhere. I just want to keep this thread around long enough for LM1565 to skidmark her underwear in horror.

:D

You lousy son of a bitch...I totally choked on my lunch when I saw this subject line. I'mma getcha.