PDA

View Full Version : how did you start to know the band?

acgc2002
11-19-2004, 10:52 AM
I wonder how you all started to know the band...
was it by means of a radio station, a Tv show, a friend that showed you a cd, internet???
Mine was with MTV.

Toxic Speed Bump
11-19-2004, 10:59 AM
I remember when I first heard the offspring. We were decorating a room and it came on the radio and I was moshing to it... haha i was young.

Subsidal
11-19-2004, 11:01 AM
I first heard/saw 'em on MTV. I was sapping and saw Dexter in a short shot. I switched back on the channel and thought that guy is hot. So I started listening to them

Anya82
11-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Three letters:

M-T-V

Inuyasha
11-19-2004, 11:55 AM
the fist time i saw them was on MTV when pretty fly came out

Lithuanian Offspring
11-19-2004, 11:58 AM
As much as I hate the industrialization of music it is the reason I found the offspring. If it wasn't for MTV and Pretty Fly for a White Guy my would friend would have never bought a pirated version of CO1 for my birthday. It had like 13 bonus tracks and I just fell in love. My first crush! :D

Strider
11-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Video games. I heard All I Want on Crazy Taxi for DreamCast. :D

Tony
11-19-2004, 12:10 PM
A friend made me a tape from his smash album nine or ten years ago... Thanks to him i'm really a big fan of The Offspring.. Thank you Nicolas :D

Lady Tygress
11-19-2004, 12:25 PM
When I was in sixth grade my jazz class did "Pretty Fly(For A White Guy)" for our end-of-year recital, and that's how it all began.

4eh
11-19-2004, 01:01 PM
i was living in Germany in 1994, cause my father was military man and russian army was in Germany. I was near 7 or 8 years old. I've heard "smash" and so... i've been loving The Offspring for near 10 years

Floyd the Barber
11-19-2004, 01:04 PM
In early 2000 I got the video game Crazy Taxi, which had All I Want and Way Down The Line on it, as well as a snippet of Change the World. I loved the songs, but didn't buy an Offspring CD till last Christmas when I got Ixnay on the Hombre. Since then I've bought four more of their albums.

GBH2
11-19-2004, 01:08 PM
i heard it from when my cousin bought co1 after hearing original prankster from the movie "the animal"

Special Delivery BR.
11-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Ohh.. my friend had aN Offspring cd....
I heard it for the first time when i was 9 i guess, in the 3rd grade (now im in 8th)...... It was AMERICANA... and one or 2 years later i bought the "Co1" :D

NIX-on-the-MAN
11-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, I first saw the Pretty Fly video, I thought I was good.

Then I saw the the Get a Job video, thought it was better.

But what sealed the deal was when I played Crazy Taxi and heared All I Want and I had to go and find the CD responsable for that song.

BaneOfEvil3
11-19-2004, 01:47 PM
There were a couple of things...

Okay, first, I had Crazy Taxi. Soundtrack was pretty good (I was like 10). And my Aunt was watching my sister play it, and she said "That sounds like The Offspring..." And I said "It is!", because I had read the back of the case, which said that it had songs by Bad Religion and The Offspring. And she looked at me funny...And for some reason, her reaction just stayed in my mind...

So, recently, I was watching some channel (Not MTV), and the video for 'Hit That' came on. And I was like "This is pretty catchy..." and I noticed at the bottom, it said "The Offspring". And I was like "Hey...It's that band from Crazy Taxi!"

Then I downloaded Hit That...And liked it A LOT...And then I went into a Border's and my mom gave me 20 bucks, and I was like "Uhh...what could I get?" So, then I remembered The Offspring, and I saw "Splinter", and it was the last copy.

I bought it.

Then later, I did some research, and found out that their older stuff was a lot better than their new stuff. So, I bought Smash and Ixnay online.

Smash came in the mail first, and I loved it. I had heard 'Self Esteem', and so I was used to the different style.

And now, I love The Offspring.

Well...that was more than a couple of things....

I wonder if anyone actually read all that....

Tired_Of_You
11-19-2004, 01:57 PM
It was in 1998, my cousin used to like rock music and he had just bought Americana, he made me listen to it and I loved it. I bought it the same week and since this time The Offspring is my favorite band.
I'm sure I heard Come Out And Play and Self Esteem on the radio before that, because when I bought Smash, I already knew those 2 songs.

Titus
11-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Sry, my english isn t good, so i won t talk a lot

I was sleeping in sofa, and i heard a music and i wake up
But they didn t say the name, and i started listen to radio every day.
Other day they said Offsping - pretty fly

Whoaaaaaa

H_Sea
11-20-2004, 04:20 PM
i think i heard it on the radio im not quite sure but i remember lining up in the playground ready to go into school and being told off for singing pretty fly, i was about 4.

then i saw hit that on the tv and i was like, hey, i know that band...

i went to a car boot on an offchance and there was 'americana' on a stall, i brought it for Ģ3 and loved it so much i got co1 and splinter and then...well, you know the rest...

Amelia
11-22-2004, 01:16 AM
my brother got me into them in 1992 and I have been a fan ever since. I hold a special place in my heart for these guys. They are amazing awesome people and I am glad that I got into them when I did!

lousyskater
11-22-2004, 01:28 AM
didn't somebody already make this thread?

anyways i heard all i want on the radio one day back in '97 and i thought the band kicked ass. i heard I Choose later that day and Meaning of Life the next day on the radio i was motivated enough to go out and pick up the album and from that day on i was hooked.
________
Infants paxil (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Obie2trice
11-22-2004, 02:06 AM
In 1998 radio and tv were playing Pretty Fly non-stop. After that I`ve bought Americana and started collecting all their cd`s, buying t-shirts etc. It`s the typical Offspring sound which beats every other punk band

Oversimplified
11-22-2004, 02:51 AM
My best friend's 'cool' older brother had Smash, and I'd heard it at their house a few times when I was about 12-ish. How could you not be hooked after hearing that album?

Awedar
11-22-2004, 03:00 AM
I was like 12 (7 years ago now...) and they played self esteem on a school party... Everyone hated it and I started jumping up and down

(didn't know shit about music then hehe )

JediJoel
11-22-2004, 04:57 AM
my dad has smash, so thats were i first herd it

all i want
11-22-2004, 05:09 AM
first ever song i heard was pretty fly on (unfortunately) mtv when i was 9 n have been hooked since.......i went to see em at the carling apollo last march ibest gig ever IMO

Delilah
11-22-2004, 09:35 AM
First I saw Pretty Fly on Tv. I wanted to know more their songs so my friend gave me Americana CD for my birthday. It was a special edition which contained also 10 songs they made before Americana. It was the first time I heard Gone Away and since then I've loved them :)

Satankaban
11-22-2004, 12:57 PM
When I heard them for the first time, I was 9 or 10 years old. I think I was 10. I was watching the czech hitparade called "Medúza" in television. There was "All I want". I liked it and like it. Then I heard "Pretty fly" and other singles from Americana and I then I received "Americana". Itīs a long story.

pigeon
11-22-2004, 01:09 PM
my brother has bought Smash and and...etc

BuddyHolly
11-22-2004, 01:51 PM
We went on holiday to australia to visit my aunt in the summer of 1999 and my causin had Americana. Until then i only heard Pretty Fly a couple of times and i didn't like it. But my causin told me to listen the whole album so i did. I skipped the first couple of songs until The Kids Aren't Allright. Damn i loved that song right away (i never knew before that there was really great music with guitars in it, but the power of that song blew me away). When we got back home my mom bought me Americana and after listening to that album nonstop for like 3 months i decided to buy another Offspring album and that was their selftitled album. And after buying that album i got really really into Offspring (and punkrock in general).

Da Hui Fatum
11-22-2004, 02:09 PM
i remember when i was a little girl, i was kinda of rejected...(well i'm still rejected, whatever...).... all this people were listen to the offspring...and i thought it was really cool...

offspringjon
11-22-2004, 02:40 PM
On a school trip one of my friends had Conspiracy Of One. Before that I had heard Pretty Fly and Original Prankster and didn't think much of those songs. But after listening to the whole album of Conspiracy on repeat for 5 hours it kinda stuck in my brain.

After buying Ixnay and getting Americana for my birthday from my best mate I really started getting into them. Since then, I have become obessed with them and they are obviously my favourite band.

They are the reason i picked up the guitar as well :D anyways that's my story. Sorry for boring you.

yusuke-lupin
11-22-2004, 06:19 PM
i think i 1st heard the the song get a job it was really pop back when i was in like grad 4 cuz it said bitch :eek: lol or something but i 1st strted likeing the offspring
when the music vid for Original Prankster lol :D

joe howell
11-22-2004, 11:57 PM
i first heared all i want on the radio in 97 i think, so i bought ixnay, and since become obbsessed, but it's only recently, when i got a job, did i have enough money to buy proper copys of all the other albums.

Impure
11-23-2004, 06:51 AM
I've heard Offspring over 6 years ago on the radio.
It was playing Pretty fly. Few days later i bought Americana and i felt in love :)

shitwalker
11-23-2004, 07:10 AM
I've seen 'Pretty Fly' video on MTV 2,5 years ago. Then i knew that guy that i liked listens to Offspring. He gave me many their songs. I heard "Get a job" on the radio and liked that song but i didn't know that it was Offspring!So the first albut i heard was 'Smash'.This is my favourite album after 'Splinter'. :cool:

Bazza
11-23-2004, 07:48 AM
about 5/6 years ago a mate of mine leant me his older brothers s/t album (it was the first time i'd even heard of the offspring), i thought it was really cool, then heard pretty fly on radio, slowly but surely i bought all the albums.

original_prankster
11-23-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm 14 now and I was 10 when Original Prankster came out, and that's when I really started to like them.

yummy yummy punkrockgirl
11-23-2004, 12:32 PM
first heard them on the radio when smash came out, i think that was in the mid-90s

offspring kid
02-28-2005, 10:41 AM
well i kind of saw it in news paper there was this cool skull(offspring logo) and by its side was written the offspring i searched it on the web n downloaded the first song L.A.P.D and there you GO BOOM in youre HEAD the power cords n bass n all just ROCKED mE n since then i am a hardcore fan of the offspring

Zero
02-28-2005, 10:43 AM
i was 6 years old about the time right before smash came out and my friends older brother had both albums and he gave em to us cause he didnt really like that kind of music, ive been listening since

original_psycho
02-28-2005, 10:48 AM
It was when I saw the Pretty Fly For A White Guy video. I think I was about 8-9.

Satankaban
02-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I remember I was watching czech hitparade called "Medúza". There was "All I want". I was really excited about that song and band!!!

stathis21
02-28-2005, 01:50 PM
by listening to americana!!!

Iddy
02-28-2005, 02:06 PM
TKAA live.... i thought it kicked ass

Troiden
02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
"Original Prankster" was first Offspring video which I seen on MTV channel, and just after this clip I decided to buy an album.

Black_Ball
02-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Ever since I heard my name on a song of theirs, I am a great fan of the Offspring.

I don't know
02-28-2005, 04:11 PM
it was on mtv, when I watched self esteem's video

Titus
02-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I was sleeping in sofa, and i heard a music and i wake up
But they didn t say the name, and i started listen to radio every day.
Other day they said Offsping - pretty fly

offy
03-01-2005, 01:59 PM
My music teacher was a feak of classical music. In the 5th form (some years ago *lol*), only few months after the release of Americana, we were to present "good song / bad song", i.e. someone had to take a CD with "good" music and someone with "bad" music to school. The silliest student presented some Bach shit (if you ask me she only wanted to impress our teacher -.-) as good music. My neighbor put out Americana and gave it to me. My teacher saw it and said that he had seen about that album on TV and we were not to listen to that shit music because it could make us agressive.
On that very afternoon I happened to tell my brother about it (he now is a fan of Queen *puke*), he only laughed and put "Pretty Fly" on his stereo.
I loved this song from the beginning. Then I borrowed Americana from that neighbor...first, I didn't like the other songs, but I just had to listen it a few time to get into this "strange drums" (punk rock was completely new to me at that time!).
Then my friend bought Smash. After that I got Conspiracy Of One on my birthday which was only few days after its release! The rest of their albums followed in the next year.

Any further questions? :cool:

dexterisMYman
03-01-2005, 02:02 PM
i live in Orange County so yeah i've know about them 4 awhile. +my parents raised me on punk as well.

Skate Rat 19
03-01-2005, 05:48 PM
I've always known the offspring. I've heard their music since i was born, it wasn't till recently i found out that I grew up to this band, I am very spacey.

Camilamazed
03-01-2005, 08:42 PM
It was back in 1993.I was feeding my baby dog in the morning.Then She didn't want anything but play.I spent some time with her and turned the radio.Then Come out and play started on the radio.It was "love at first listened" hahahahahahha :D

Mr. Noodles
03-01-2005, 09:45 PM
I've always known the offspring. I've heard their music since i was born, it wasn't till recently i found out that I grew up to this band, I am very spacey.
Your life is just like mine!
I'm serious!
Last year I found out that I was always listening to The Offspring!

Hypodermic_89
03-03-2005, 05:45 AM
I got my first Offspring album in 1999 from my cousin. Funny story really. She was moving in together with her boyfriend and they both had the Smash album. They thought that they donīt need two, so she asked me if I liked The Offspring. I said yeah, because you canīt say no to a free CD! :) but the funny thing was that I had never heard about The Offspring then. Now I have all seven albums and both DVDs :) If I wouldīve said no to her, I wouldnīt be here writing this message! :D

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
03-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I can still remember, I was with my friend and he had self esteem playing on his radio, I liked it right away. that was a long time ago, about 10 years ago I think. So I bought the album and now I've got all the albums.Like it alot, yeah you can say I grew up with this music :D Later

bad gal
03-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Well, there's a boy in my class that plays drums in a punk rock band and he told me about it, but i had never heard the name cos it wasn't the kind of music i listened to. But the fact is that that boy and i started doing things and i really got to like him, and well, the story is very long and painful, but i started to listen to the offspring just because i was curious and because i wanted to get closer to him and i like it. And well, that's it. :D

dgnanashi
03-04-2005, 08:50 AM
I started by randomly turning on the tv to MTV2 and it played Hit That. That video was kick ass.

saska de o...
03-04-2005, 08:58 AM
radio eska :D:D:D

American Idiot
03-04-2005, 11:22 AM
A friend showed me the song "Self Esteem". I was so fascinated, I even bought the album right away....

Jimbob2005
03-04-2005, 01:12 PM
my m8 lent me americana - after a few listens i loved the album, and then i started getting all their others

Aimeht
03-04-2005, 02:37 PM
I saw one of their videos on tv, don't remember what channel it was thought. (It was NOT shitty mtv!)

foxy
03-05-2005, 03:08 AM
when i was six my cosin was on my dads pc on kazaa and download kids aint alright (probably there best song) :)

Hypodermic_89
03-12-2005, 12:59 PM
I got the Smash CD from my cousin in 1999.. :)

NMHFBD
03-12-2005, 01:31 PM
i saw there video Pretty fly(YES IT WAS SHITTY MTV) and i liked it,i thought wow great song i should get the album and i got in next week...Ah that was a goood time!

Venezuelan_Nightmare
03-12-2005, 02:49 PM
im late... but better late that never xD...
well, i was know about offspring in 1997 when a friend bring to me a Broke Discman and i was trying to repair all was done but just one thing left probe the discman... damm it i need a cd, need cd, need cd... oh! there you are take this shit (all i want demo) if you want after probe the discman try to shit over it...mmm i put the disc on the discman and.... damm it what a fucking kick ass song, mmm iīd never shit on it i will keep it 2 months later... i need a disc about this band really need a disc, i will go to the shoping, there you are!! (Ixnay On The Hombre) with all i want yeah! i will buy it xD is mine... after that all disc that offspring have been release i buy it xD.

super nerd
03-12-2005, 03:00 PM
dont remember all the details but it was when my brother sarted playing origional prankster when it first came out

blackballs
03-12-2005, 04:31 PM
I got to know the band from playing the game crazy taxi on dreamcast, i picked up ixnay on the hombre the next week and the rest is history

Omni
03-13-2005, 03:29 PM
I was in my brother's car, several months ago, and Original Prankster came on the radio. I had heard it like 2 times before on the same station, and he changed the channel. I told him to turn he back because I liked that song. He said something like "Ah, it's OK. Not the best Offspring song." A little while later my computer broke down, and he put installed another harddrive he had. He had a bunch of MP3 files on it, and 2 were Self-Esteem and Hit That. Since then I've liked them ever since.

Tomo
04-04-2005, 10:09 AM
For first time in my life I heared The Offspring, when "Pretty Fly" came out. I liked it, but just a bit - it wasn't my style. Few days later I saw old "Gone Away" video. That was much better! Great music, noir atmosphere and stuff. And the day when "The Kids Aren't Alright" was released, was forever written in my life history. It was the day when I asked my friend to let me listen to his "Americana" CD. That day I became Offspring fan. And when I got "Ixnay on the Hombre"? Man, since than I'm totally dependent on Offspring!

AlphaDrake
04-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Both my brother and my sister bought "Americana", loved them ever since

DirtyMagic_FIN
04-04-2005, 12:05 PM
One of my friend had Ixnay on the Hombre, and we listened Intermission :D Oh we had fun.. We were about 9 years old. And then came Americana and it blew totally my mind out :cool:

Frypanattacker
04-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I borrowed Smash (and Green Day's Dookie) from a friend in the fifth grade. Been a hardcore Offspring fan ever since.

OffspringMan00
04-09-2005, 12:39 AM
i saw the why dont you get a job video n was hooked tht was like 7 years ago

Homer
04-09-2005, 12:42 AM
I got into them from Pretty Fly and WDYGAJ. Now I hate those songs! :D

sebaspunk
04-09-2005, 01:21 AM
one day i was listening to the radio and they played come out and play
this is the best fuckin song i've ever heard
after that in '95 i started to buy all their cds before and after smash

notoriousdoc
04-09-2005, 03:50 AM
when i found americana in a pile of cds my dad was selling (he does stalls) when i was 8 :)

lint
04-09-2005, 09:39 AM
My uncle let me listen to Keep 'em Separated when i was 6. I've loved them ever since.

Josh Freese
04-10-2005, 08:25 AM
I heard Self esteem from radio when i was 7

Alexia_DemonGurl
04-10-2005, 09:22 AM
I was 7 when Come Out and Play would come on the radio. My mom really liked it. It takes a really good band to be remembered by someone with as bad of memory as me. ^ ^

Dr.Faustus
04-10-2005, 11:23 AM
I got into The Offspring via Crazy Taxi 1 & 2.

Telekinesis
04-10-2005, 07:19 PM
The first song I heard was either Original Prankster or Pretty Fly. I also remember being at my friend Jessica's house and this New Zealand dude (Donald) who was friends with her friend (Zea,It's easier for me to give thier names) said "Do you know who The Offspring are?" I said no coz then I didn't know and I also remember him saying "They swear" that was when I first heard of them and not thier songs.Then last year I was at another friends house (Sabrina, I hate Jessica now) and she had Americana. She played Pretty Fly and I said "OMG I remember this song from Years ago!" or something like that.That is my story I can't remember the exact first time I heard of them though probably Pretty Fly. :)

0r4ng3
04-10-2005, 09:11 PM
two words:

CRAZY TAXI 2

...thats three words...oops

i also heard the kids aren't alright on my friends cpu. thats actually when i started to like them, and TKAA is my favorite Offspring song
________
FREE STREAM TUBE (http://www.fucktube.com/)