PDA

View Full Version : Enduring Love (I saw a terrible Indy film and I'm angry)

wheelchairman
08-21-2005, 03:25 PM
This film is about two fucking hours long. Two hours. It would've been alright as a half hour drama.

Let me break it down for you. This film is a "psychological drama" (only retards watch psychological dramas, turns out my friends are retards.) So from the get-go you could see it would be mental torture to watch.

It takes place in a field outside of Oxford (yes, it's in England, strike 2) where a the main character watches a man die falling off of a hot air balloon. This accident would never have happened if he wasn't trying to save the retarded grandson of a man who was stupid enough to put his child in that hot air balloon without telling the kid a little basics, and without like being with him or having someone in it with him. Fucking retarded old people.

So the guy dies. And the main character (Joe) goes to the scene of the accident with a man who was there. The man (Jed), falls in love with Joe and is a psychopath as we later find out.

The film goes on, Jed follows Joe everywhere, and it's generally typical. It ruins Joe's relationship with his love, and drives him nuts, blah blah blah it ends with Joe killing Jed after Jed stabs the love.

Now, let's get down to the deeply pretentious analysis of the film. On the top, and most superficial level, this film is a suspence/romantic piece of crap. I hated all the characters, all of them. I hated Joe when he told the widow that it was his fault her husband died (a purely selfish act on his part, and utterly pointless.) I hated Joe when he didn't use legal means to keep Jed away from him. I know England is barbaric, but he could like....get him arrested? Restraining orders? Any means necessary to keep someone who is obviously psychotic, away from him. It's obvious throughout the entire film that Jed is in love with him. It's obvious from when he first mentions the word love in the bookstore. It's crap, this whole film is crap.

The second level, the psychological level of the film, deals with several factors. The way people act after trauma, the way trauma can affect someone's lovelife. And the way a psychopath considers the world and love around him. This is all done to death in the "psychological drama" section. In fact, I don't know a psychological drama where this *doesn't* happen in some variation. THANK YOU FOR WASTING 2 HOURS YOU HACK DIRECTOR. There is no new ground broken here.

The 3rd and final level, the philosophical level. Deals with the concept of Love as an idealistic and materialistic point of view. The main character, Joe, believes love is just a development of biology. However, at several points throughout the film this is tested and he is proven wrong at some of these points. Like when he holds his baby niece, when his love-interest almost dies. When she breaks up with him, etc. etc. etc. I hate this crap. This is fucking lame. The argument about whether love is a bunch of oozes in the brain and is a product of biology, or whether it's a higher feeling of whatever, is fucking pointless. I hate everyone who argues this point. On one side, the idiots who talk about love being the product of biology. Are the 14 year old anarchist retards who just got broken up with by someone they considered their "true love." They are bitter, and just annoy me. On the other hand, there are the people who consider love to be the end all and highest form of human development.

Both sides argue their points with their own interests at hand, it usually depends a lot on whether or not they actually are in love. This bothers me deeply. People should fucking realize it doesn't matter. It doesn't fucking matter. You don't need to validate your goddamn emotions to justify your actions towards the guy/girl you devoted your life to. So quit it. Why do you do that? What business is it of theirs for your own actions? Can you possibly be that insecure that your feelings are jeopardized by the materialistic rantings of a bunch of grade school anarchists who are bitter? And you grade school anarchists, fucking grow up, you are not breaking new ground, you are just a hopeless virgin justifying your own celibacy.

This film is deeply rooted in symbolism. Symbolism is always a symbol of pretentious art school student trying to be deep. The balloon flying away. The balloon like objects. The "letting go" connection to someone dying, and the potential causes, on and on and on. It's pretentious. I hate it. Symbolism is fucking cowardly, the act of an insecure director/author not wanting to state his true feelings for fear of rejection.

And then the worst part of all. The fact that some people liked this film. These types of people are pretentious asses. We have a lot of them in Denmark. People who feel good about themselves because they "understand" indy media. Because they think the symbolism and philosophical debate is so fascinating and relevant. Fucking hell, you people deserve to be shot and fed to the fish. Anyone impressed by this film is a fucking idiot. Hands down this is true. This is a B film to end all B films. And I own Gigli, so that's saying something.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-21-2005, 03:26 PM
The film was based on a novel by Ian McEwan, and the film is nowhere near as good as the book. The film takes the book, kicks the fuck out of it and presents it as a shabby pile of nothing that's not loyal to the book at all.

Read the book. Trust me.

Conspiracy of One
08-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I stopped reading after I spotted "Psycological Drama"

wheelchairman
08-21-2005, 03:28 PM
The film was based on a novel by Ian McEwan, and the film is nowhere near as good as the book. The film takes the book, kicks the fuck out of it and presents it as a shabby pile of nothing that's not loyal to the book at all.

Read the book. Trust me.
I'll just get flashbacks to the film. I haven't been this nihilistic and destructive...since ever. No reading the book would be bad.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-21-2005, 03:29 PM
It's a real shame you saw the movie before reading the book. It truly is.

wheelchairman
08-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Well my anger is mostly directed at the Director. I can see general potential. I am just full of contempt. Did you see the film?

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I did. And having read the book I was appalled at the travesty of it all. I left the cinema in pretty much the same frame of mind as you are now, though for different reasons.

wheelchairman
08-21-2005, 11:52 PM
*bump* to warn the people!

Tizzalicious
08-21-2005, 11:53 PM
I see the real problem you had with this film. The accents.

No, but really. Sucks you had to watch a movie you hated. I once watched one my mom recommended on TV, she said it would be..."thrilling". It was extremely boring, but I believed her, so I watched until it'd be "thrilling." Then suddenly it said "The end."

Izie
08-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Haha, when I decide the movie sucks I just stop watching :p

Pisses the shit out of Ken, because we usually watch movies before going to sleep, and then I just take my glasses off and go sleep and he's all "Wah wah you're not watching"

I'm so Ivil. But I simply refuse to watch something that bores me. Period.

Poor Per though *pats*

Tizzalicious
08-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Haha, when I decide the movie sucks I just stop watching :p

Pisses the shit out of Ken, because we usually watch movies before going to sleep, and then I just take my glasses off and go sleep and he's all "Wah wah you're not watching"

I'm so Ivil. But I simply refuse to watch something that bores me. Period.

Poor Per though *pats*

I usually do too, but my mom said it would get really good later on. So I just waited for the good bit.

Izie
08-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Haha, I think that happened to me once or twice... I don't trust people when it comes to movies anymore.

Tizzalicious
08-22-2005, 12:38 AM
I won't either. I was bored out of my mind.

Izie
08-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Eh, most movies seem to bore me these days. Most TV shows too. I've become such a snob (haha, like I wasn't one before) when it comes to entertainment.

Tizzalicious
08-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Oh same here. I hardly watch any TV. I buy DVD's though. A loooooooot.

Jesus
08-22-2005, 02:58 AM
But why do you waste 20 minutes typing a post about how you wasted 2 hours watching a lame movie? Some art student should make a movie about that!

JoY
08-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Per - I'll just trust you on your judgement & not watch the movie.

Izie - I never stop watching a movie, even if it bores me. I always wait for a climax, or something that could make it exciting. plus, no matter how boring it is, I'm always curious about the ending.

Izie
08-22-2005, 04:02 AM
Izie - I never stop watching a movie, even if it bores me. I always wait for a climax, or something that could make it exciting. plus, no matter how boring it is, I'm always curious about the ending.

Eh, I just get bored easily. This also the reason I only go to the cinema if I'm SURE I'll like the movie. Which is... Not a lot.

I can't leave books that I start, but movies, hell yes. I usually just get someone to tell me what happens in the end ;)

Tizzalicious
08-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Per - I'll just trust you on your judgement & not watch the movie.

Aaah, yes, I always wanna know the end too. But if it's really boring I usually stop watching anyway.

Jesus
08-22-2005, 05:30 AM
I can't leave books that I start, but movies, hell yes. I usually just get someone to tell me what happens in the end ;)

Yeah I so love doing that =p

Izie
08-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Yeah I so love doing that =p

Oh quit whining :p

Vera
08-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Hahahah, this topic should be titled "Enduring 'Enduring Love'."

*cracks self up*

Anyway, won't see it. I probably wouldn't be too interested in a film like that anyway.