PDA

View Full Version : filibusters

Endymion
08-22-2005, 12:17 AM
prompted by a recent issue from nationstates, i got to thinking about them... then reading up a bit. i think what the US currently has--a two-thirds vote of all voting members to end debates--is pretty good. you don't get a few lone assholes killing a bill, but you can keep up debate as long as a good number of voting members support it.

Sin Studly
08-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Who needs voting anyway?

http://www.bonesandblades.co.uk/catalog/images/H-G1036.jpg

That is what I call a ballot.

wheelchairman
08-22-2005, 09:52 AM
I support filibusters like that.

I also support voting schematics that give regions in a union, that have a slightly smaller population, more representative power per person than larger states. Increases democracy, etc. etc.

Mota Boy
08-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Are you referring to the electoral college? 'Cause I think the EC should be dismantled.

I am, however, in favor of filibusters. Japan has a version of the filibuster called the ox walk, where Japanese politicians walk incredibly slowly to the ballot box to cast their votes. That's gotta make for some thrilling politics.

wheelchairman
08-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Mota, no not the Electoral College. This would be a reference to the House of Representatives structure. The number of representatives are chosen based on population size yes? Well I would make the algorithm that decides how many representatives per state, grant them proportionately more representatives.

Mota Boy
08-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Doesn't the Senate already fulfill that roll? Wyoming (along with a handful of other states) has such a small population that they're only allocated one congressman in the House, but they have the same number of representatives in the Senate as California, which I think has forty-something members in the House.

Endymion
08-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Doesn't the Senate already fulfill that roll? Wyoming (along with a handful of other states) has such a small population that they're only allocated one congressman in the House, but they have the same number of representatives in the Senate as California, which I think has forty-something members in the House.
fifty-something now, i believe.

wheelchairman
08-28-2005, 03:03 AM
Mota Boy- right you are. However this is not how it works in Denmark.