PDA

View Full Version : What was your first job, and at what age?

Omni
08-22-2005, 04:35 PM
This is a small survey for my own benefit. I have been wanting to get a job, but at my age (17) all I can really do (unless you're fortunate enough to have a family member own a business) is flip burgers or bag groceries. I was thinking a stockboy in a grocery store or something. What have you guys done, and what do you recommend?

Sinister
08-22-2005, 04:38 PM
responsible for the library on a camp. $95 a week + 3 meals a day & fringe benefits like playing Burnout3 on my workmate's Xbox late at night :D

this summer, age 16

Man Parts
08-22-2005, 04:41 PM
i bag groceries im 15 and a half, i dont recommend it...

Thucydides
08-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I wanted a job at local library but there was no vacancies.

I was a waitress (15) but it only lasted a few weeks. I have an interview for Gamestation on wednesday though (I'm 17) :D

Sin Studly
08-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Department store bitch, can't remember how old. 18 I think.

edit ; no wait, I did door-to-door canvassing before that.

JohnnyNemesis
08-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Most people I know started working way earlier. Like bagging groceries at 13 before being added to the payroll once they get their working papers at 15. Hm.

Anyway, I had a bunch of those kinds of jobs, but my first job that could be called something close to a "real" job was as a cashier at a supermarket when I was 18. Easily one of the worst jobs imaginable. Everyone treats you like shit, it's boring, the pay is horrific, and people are complete IDIOTS. (No! You better DOUBLE BAG that loaf of bread, I don't want it falling out on the way home!)

Omni
08-22-2005, 04:50 PM
A lot of the people I know have had a job for a couple of years, some living on their own (I would never move out until after High School, that way when I do get a job I can have some money saved). I want to start making a little money, I'm just not for sure how to go about finding a job. But thanks for the input, everyone.

JoY
08-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I worked at a mall when I was seventeen. I was fired within three months.

I was a violin-teacher at the age of.. 18, I think. I fired myself, because even though it paid real well, it just wasn't my thing. I hate telling people what to do & how to do it. especially when they're stubborn little annoying four year olds, who never wanted to play the violin in the first place.

sXe_AlternativeLife
08-22-2005, 05:16 PM
16, a christian radio station. wasn't all that great but I learnt alot about the stuff of production. I quit like last friday. was only getting paid 5.15 and could only work 2 hours and a half everyday because of the budget.
So now I'm trying to apply for sam goody or casa mexico

The Darkside Has Cookies
08-22-2005, 05:28 PM
It depends what type of "job" you mean. I had my first blow job at 14 and Im 16 now and currently work at a car wash making $8.00 an hour cause I do all the crazy shit like detail and cleaning out the whole car. I get tips too.

Sin Studly
08-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Easily one of the worst jobs imaginable.

Oh please. Try door-to-door charity canvasser... in a slum neighbourhood.

The Darkside Has Cookies
08-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Oh please. Try door-to-door charity canvasser... in a slum neighbourhood.

I swear you could make playing with puppies into the puppies have diseases and they are going to die. everything is so negative in your life man. Smoke some weed right now.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-22-2005, 05:36 PM
...Hmmm...Mowing the lawn, 12.

JoY
08-22-2005, 05:38 PM
I swear you could make playing with puppies into the puppies have diseases and they are going to die. everything is so negative in your life man. Smoke some weed right now.
dude.. the job he mentioned.. actually IS fucking horrible.

you smoke some weed. you could use some of that ol' druggy 'creativity'.

The Darkside Has Cookies
08-22-2005, 05:41 PM
You are saying seeing the look on peoples faces when you give them stuff is isnt cool? I agree.

JoY
08-22-2005, 05:44 PM
you REALLY don't get life, do you?

The Darkside Has Cookies
08-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Life for me:

Wake up
Take a shower
Go to school
Hangout with chicks
Drive home
BBS
Rock out
Eat
Go party
Come home
Get yelled at
BBS
Pass out

and repeat.

Aimeht
08-22-2005, 06:00 PM
I got my first job right after I finished school (19), I worked as a student assistent, helping children (ages 5-8) in school.

Weirddimensions
08-22-2005, 08:39 PM
I bagged groceries at a supermarket when I was 16. It was fine at first, it felt real nice to get paid, but after 6 months I'd started to go a little insane from going through the exact same fucking routine everyday, with the exact same music playing in the background, and all the while having to pretend I was happy about it.
That was the worst part too, all that service with a smile bullshit that they expected from us. Some days I ended up smiling at every person who came within 10 feet of me, and feeling hella fake about it and hating myself. The rest of the days I decided to be real about it, but then that automatically made me the worst bagger in the store and that sucked too. I've got quite a bit more to say about it, but I can pretty much sum it all up by saying, don't be a bagger. Even at 17 without having worked before, you can find a better part-time job than bagging groceries. I wish I would've just tried.

Apathy
08-22-2005, 08:52 PM
This is a small survey for my own benefit. I have been wanting to get a job, but at my age (17) all I can really do (unless you're fortunate enough to have a family member own a business) is flip burgers or bag groceries. I was thinking a stockboy in a grocery store or something. What have you guys done, and what do you recommend?

I'm getting a job at cousin's in a couple months. Can't Say I'll Enjoy it, but I do Want the money.

Turbonegro
08-22-2005, 09:02 PM
My first job was this summer. I was facing shelves at a grocery store. It has to be one of the most boring jobs ever. The pay blows, the hours blow, the work blows, the janitor can't speak english, and the people I worked with were overall tards. I had to work from 10 pm till 2 am (which is illegal by the way, minors aren't supposed to be out that late), and make sure the shelves were perfect. I barely got any money from it, so I quit. Yay for quitting.

Betty
08-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Delivered newspapers from maybe... age... 11 - 15 ish... did some random babysitting jobs... then I think I started when I first turned 16... cashiering at a grocery store. It was alright. Since I was awesome I was promoted to doing office/floor supervision work (same pay). Doing that was actually pretty fun and more mentally challenging, but whenever I had to work at a cash register for my whole shift, I definitely wanted to shoot myself.

As a guy, I think stocking shelves at a grocery store would be pretty decent work... the boys where I worked stayed for years and seemed to enjoy it enough. I'd imagine bagging or (ugh!) cart pushing would be much, much worse.

Camilamazed
08-22-2005, 09:27 PM
I started working at age 18 in a place (Whatever it is in English) people buy cosmetics. I didn't like my first job ...... =o/

Preocupado
08-22-2005, 11:33 PM
My first job was at the age of 14 at my father's business, answering the phone and saying: "Yes, it's here... Ok, hold on a minute please, i'll call my da.. i mean, mr. Venturin."

The first real job was three years ago (19), filling paper work for a health care station, but i was a real fuck up and would make the most retarded mistakes like writting the wrong things in the wrong fields, so i quit in shame before giving them the chance of firing me.

Now i work with babies and it's very gay.

Tizzalicious
08-23-2005, 01:53 AM
I delivered magazines when I was 15 I think.

And when I was 16 I worked as a cashier (???) in a supermarket.

RXP
08-23-2005, 02:11 AM
First job was 18 in a Factory. It was gay.

Fat Boy Samsam
08-23-2005, 02:50 AM
I worked in Mcdonalds for a few months when I was 17. Couldn't stand it for much more than that!

Endymion
08-23-2005, 03:01 AM
i was 20. research into maglev train feasibility for the port of long beach and modeling of various elements of the project.

rodney mullen
08-23-2005, 04:26 AM
mine was a weeding job in my front yard. i was about 11.

Tijs
08-23-2005, 05:05 AM
My first job was at 14 I think, or maybe 15. I worked in a supermarket. But Not for long, now I've been working in a restaurant for almost 2 years now.

Diamond Dee
08-23-2005, 07:13 AM
My first job was at a deli when I was 17. It was a pointless job. I'm not sure where you live but I would recommend trying to get some kind of city job as a part-time clerk or something along those lines.

Flexing Wings
08-23-2005, 07:17 AM
19, killed my girlfriend's over-protective father.

killer_queen
08-23-2005, 07:21 AM
I worked at a mall when I was seventeen. I was fired within three months.

I was a violin-teacher at the age of.. 18, I think. I fired myself, because even though it paid real well, it just wasn't my thing. I hate telling people what to do & how to do it. especially when they're stubborn little annoying four year olds, who never wanted to play the violin in the first place.
Oh really? I was thinking teaching piano to little kids when I go to university. Is it that hard? Because I hate kids, I can't stand them more than two hours.

0r4ng3
08-23-2005, 07:22 AM
19, killed my girlfriend's over-protective father.You were paid for that?

TheHulaChick
08-23-2005, 07:54 AM
My first job was teaching kids circus skills, I've forgotten exactly when I started tho, I think I was about 18.

ThrashedThrasher
08-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Where I'm working now...

Local video store...My friend Sad Panda's dad owns it....I work the second shift. I started at 14, I'm almost 15. We just started to get the papers and crap to start selling CDs and other band merchandise othe than the tee shirts we already sell (which rack in the most money anyways).

Izie
08-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Psh, I had a sort of a job answering phones for my dad at his company. Quite retarded. And I didn't do it very long.

I'm actually gonna go for a proper job in october or something along the lines. Wish me good luck with that one, hah :/

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Come on, no one had a job of mowing the lawn?! Every kid has that job. I used to.

darko
08-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Supermarket, filling shelves, think i was 17

JoY
08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
the problem with these topics is.. no one really gives a shit what your first job was & how old you were.

Weirddimensions
08-23-2005, 03:31 PM
I care.....

JoY
08-23-2005, 03:39 PM
no, you don't. if you'd actually care that I babysitted two kids when I was sixteen, folded my dad's patientbills at fourteen, brought around the newspaper three times when I was fifteen, gave violinlessons at eighteen & worked at a mall when I was seventeen, there's SERIOUSLY something wrong with you.

leavesonline
08-23-2005, 03:43 PM
At 17 I skippered a 900 ton boat, that was my first job that lasted longer than a week...

Omni
08-23-2005, 04:55 PM
the problem with these topics is.. no one really gives a shit what your first job was & how old you were.

I, the topic creator, do care, or I wouldn't have made the topic. I wasn't really interested in what the first job was so much as recommendations, but hearing people's first experiences helps me in finding my own job. From what I hear from this topic, being a grocery bagger sucks, cashier has mixed reviews, and a stockboy is alright.

JoY
08-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I'd hate all three. working in a restaurant, now there's something I'd like to do.

Omni
08-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Stockboy is sounding pretty good right about now. I think I could definitely handle it.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Stockboy is sounding pretty good right about now. I think I could definitely handle it.

Yeah, stockboy is ok .

Omni
08-23-2005, 05:01 PM
What else does a stockboy do? Does he sweep when it needs to be done, or unload any trucks full of supplies or anything?

Weirddimensions
08-24-2005, 02:22 AM
no, you don't. if you'd actually care that I babysitted two kids when I was sixteen, folded my dad's patientbills at fourteen, brought around the newspaper three times when I was fifteen, gave violinlessons at eighteen & worked at a mall when I was seventeen, there's SERIOUSLY something wrong with you.

Ok, well maybe there is something wrong with me then...

But you have a choco penis in your avatar so you don't judge me. YOU GOT THAT??? :eek:

Idiot
08-24-2005, 04:09 AM

At 17, for the last few months, I've worked at my local county council, doing some admin work - easy as shit, good money. Left that now though to go to college.

However, my very first job was a paper boy when I was 13, I stopped when I got to 14. It was tedious.