PDA

View Full Version : So I went to Gigantour last night..

sKratch
08-24-2005, 10:43 AM
...at the Jones Beach ampitheater. Fucking awesome. I got to see Symphony X live for the first time, and they're hilarious. It never clicked in my head that they're so tongue-in-cheeck about what they do. Fear Factory wasn't really my cup of tea, but they put on a good show. And then there was Dream Theater. Holy shit. They played such a fucking crazy set. They opened with The Glass Prison. Unless I'm mistaken, hearing The Glass Prison live is quite a treat because it's one of the only solos Petrucci can't nail live every time. To my ear, he played it flawlessly. Here's Dream Theater's set, but I'm only sure that the first and last song are in the right order:

The Glass Prison (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance)
Panic Attack (Octavarium)
The Mirror (Awake)
Just Let Me Breathe (Falling into Infinity)
Home (Scenes from a Memory)
Never Enough (Octavarium)
A Fortune in Lies (When Dream and Day Unite, holy shit wasn't expecting that)
Crazy Drum Shit
As I Am (Train of Thought)
Pull Me Under / Metropolis P. 1 (Images and Words)

Megadeath closed the show, but Dream Theater really made the night for me. I've never really listened to Megadeath, but that didn't stop me from enjoying their set. They had some pretty neat pyro and Mustaine busted out a dual neck guitar for two songs. It was pretty much straight music, with Mustaine rarely stopping to say anything. He actually mentioned he would try to just keep playing because there were so many songs they wanted to play in so little time.

My main disappointment with the night was that the sound on the main stage was weird... there was something amiss. When Dream Theater started playing, it sounded like a huge jumble of noise and I'm not sure if it ever got better or if my ears just got accustomed and made the best of it. I've been at much smaller venues with much better sound. And as usual, the bass players got shafted and were really low on the EQ. That always seems to happen.

ps - this probably belongs somewhere else, and most of you probably don't listen to this kind of music, but oh well.

Idiot
08-24-2005, 10:48 AM
It sounds pretty awesome. Did you get any photos?

sKratch
08-24-2005, 11:02 AM
ahhahahha mushrooms and marshmellows there both the same like gold fish on the great wall of china with muffins on your feet
You didn't mention pooping out of an unconventional orofice this time.

And Idiot, I only had my phone, which takes pretty shitty pictures. Now that you mention it, I took one shot of Symphony X.

http://www.skratch-zero.com/crap/symphonyx.jpg
It was on the second stage, which was significantly smaller.

Jebus
08-24-2005, 01:05 PM
You lucky son of a bith. Symphony X, Dream Theater, and Megadeth are some of my favorite bands. I can't wait untill the live Gigantour DVD comes out.

got to see Symphony X live for the first time, and they're hilarious.
I think I heard something about Michael Romeo finally losing some weight. Is it true?

it's one of the only solos Petrucci can't nail live every time.
Lies! Petrucci is perfect! :mad: :mad:

sKratch
08-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I've never really seen Romeo before, but he wasn't huge like Jaba the Hut. I'm guessing he lost a little weight.
And Petrucci was playing insane guitar shit like it was as easy as whiping his ass. Mmmm that was the second time I got to see him.

Jebus
08-24-2005, 06:10 PM
And Petrucci was playing insane guitar shit like it was as easy as whiping his ass.
Heh, petrucci is actually a robot programed to shred at humanly impossible hyper speeds.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/YoUNooBiE/petrucciantor.jpg

Camilamazed
08-24-2005, 08:11 PM
^^

Dream Theater and Megadeth are playing here in December =D

sKratch
08-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Heh, petrucci is actually a robot programed to shred at humanly impossible hyper speeds.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/YoUNooBiE/petrucciantor.jpg
Actually, my friends and I are convinced Myung is a robot. Based on his stage presence, we doubt that he's human. I mean, all he does is stand there and lift his head once in a while. Instead of having a techie, he just has a dude with an oil can.

Idiot
08-25-2005, 11:34 AM
That's a theory I will certainly back up.

Jebus
08-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Well, Petrucci doesn't seem to have much stage presence either. I haven't seen them live but from their dvds, Petrucci rarely move. He just stands there most of the time and moves around every once in a while. In rare occasions, he head bangs a couple of times and then continues to stand. Either way, I couldn't care less about stage presence.

Idiot
08-25-2005, 01:12 PM
It's the music, and the performance that counts.

A bit of stage presence is welcomed every now and then though I think.

sKratch
08-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah Petrucci has his leg up on a monitor most of the time, with the weight of his guitar on his knee. Then again, he's usually playing some ridiculous shit. At this show, he had some interaction with Myung that I don't think I've ever seen before. One part was really neat where the bass and guitar were playing basically the same thing and they stood right next to each other fretting at the same time, if that makes sense.
Also, Myung likes switching fretting and picking hands once in a while. And in general, I found him to be more animated at this show than when I saw them previously. Portnoy seems to be the liveliest of them all during a show. Rudess is pretty confined to his keyboard most of the time.

Jebus
08-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Yeah Petrucci has his leg up on a monitor most of the time, with the weight of his guitar on his knee. Then again, he's usually playing some ridiculous shit.
That's pretty much what he did in the Live in Budokan dvd but seeing him play is entertaining enough. There's no need for him to be jumping and headbanging around.

At this show, he had some interaction with Myung that I don't think I've ever seen before. One part was really neat where the bass and guitar were playing basically the same thing and they stood right next to each other fretting at the same time, if that makes sense.
Yeah, it's pretty cool when they do that. Myung, Petrucci, and Rudess all play the exact same same solo during Change of Seasons. I'm surprised that Myung could even keep up.

Also, Myung likes switching fretting and picking hands once in a while.
You're saying that Myung was playing both left and right handed? I didn't realise he was ambidextrous. The only other person I've seen who could do that is this guitarist named Micheal Angelo.

BTW, have you heard Petrucci's solo work?