PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip?

the_GoDdEsS
08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Seriously, what an annoying thing! It's so rude when waiters actually expect you to tip and then glare at you if you don't. Why the hell should I pay more than what I'm supposed to?

Do you tip? Is it customary where you live?

I generally don't. Only when I really enjoyed the service. And even in general people here don't really tip. No one expects you to and it's just considered a 'nice' gesture if you do it. I find it awesome how apparently in certain Asian countries it is an insult if you tip the waiter.

Izie
08-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Hmmz, depends where I go.

Here (Belgrade), I tip most of the time, because I hang in really nice places with really nice waiters (I obviously don't tip if I hate them. I've even been mean enough to ask for someone else to serve me one time :o. Yeah, I suck that way). But yeah, most of the places I go to here, I do tip.

I think it's the same around here for everyone - it depends on the place you go to. Random bad pubs - nuh huh. Nice fancy places - oh yeah.

I think we do tip a bit in Belgium. But that's also because I've usually been to nice places.

I also tip the pizza/chinese/whatever delivery guy, if he's fast enough :p

I've never been glared at though. That IS just rude.

Weirddimensions
08-24-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm on harvey keitel's side on this. It's a major part of their income and they have a lousy job. Plus, for a bit of money I get a clearer conscience, I think it's worth it.

coke_a_holic
08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Seeing as how I'm only 14 and don't really eat at nice restaurants unless I'm with my family, I don't usually feel obligated to tip the poor foreigner giving me my greasy french fries. Although, my dad (who's a Jew) doesn't tip in full unless the service is really really great, yet my mom (who's catholic) always tips 15% no matter what. Hmmmmm....

Mota Boy
08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
I almost always tip. Here waiters/waitresses literally work for tips - restaurants only pay them a couple bucks an hour and expect them to make the rest up in tips, so it's a general rule to tip about fifteen percent. If I like the service I'll usually tip more and if I don't like I'll usually tip less but I almost never don't tip at all. Only if the service is exceptionally bad, then I'll leave a tip of only a few cents, as I figure that's more insulting than not tipping at all. Or sometimes I'll write "Here's a tip - learn how to do your job", but only if the waiter's a dick.

sKratch
08-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Whoah whoah whoah, wtf? I don't know how it is over there, but here most waiting staff make below minimum wage because they maka a lot on tips. It's pretty much a faux pas to not tip your waiter about 15% unless the service was bad. You should at least leave 10%, and more if the waiter/waitress is nice and did a good job. That's really the only way they make money.

Rancid_Guyxxx
08-24-2005, 11:16 AM
The local pub/restaurant down the street is where everyone goes where I live. If you don't tip the waiters/waitresses, it's not really a bad thing, but I almost always leave a tip usually around 15% of the meal. Unless the service is bad (which has never happened to me) I wouldn't tip.

killer_queen
08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
I hate those kind of waiters. I mean I'm just sixteen, I'm not earning my own money. How can they expect me to tip? Not just the waiters, the guys who show you your seats on cinema (I don't know how do you call them). They always say "ooh, my tip please?". This is just too rude. I find it meaningless to tip unless you're going to a fancy restaurant.

Preocupado
08-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I'd like to see McDonalds ask for tips.

Wouldn't that be fun?

The_Hombre
It is not really customary to tip in the UK unless it is a proper restaurant-ey type place. I'm reminded of the tipping conversation in Res Dogs. I only really tip if the person waiting on me has gone that extra mile, or even just done their job well.

The other day I went to Pizza hut with my mate, and it was lousy service. The staff were just hanging around, talking to each other, ignoring all the customers.

Why should I pay extra for that kind of service? I'm on minimum wage too, you know.

the_GoDdEsS
Whoah whoah whoah, wtf? I don't know how it is over there, but here most waiting staff make below minimum wage because they maka a lot on tips. It's pretty much a faux pas to not tip your waiter about 15% unless the service was bad. You should at least leave 10%, and more if the waiter/waitress is nice and did a good job. That's really the only way they make money.

Yeah, I've heard about that. But in Europe apparently the waiters get some kinda service charge so customers don't really have to tip.

The_Hombre
08-24-2005, 11:28 AM
How can they expect me to tip? Not just the waiters, the guys who show you your seats on cinema

Where are you from, the 1950s?

killer_queen
08-24-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm just saying, expecting tip from someone who doesn't earn her own money is stupid. Because it's obvious that I'm not going to give money to someone who's 2 years older than me.

Sin Studly
08-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm on harvey keitel's side on this. It's a major part of their income and they have a lousy job. Plus, for a bit of money I get a clearer conscience, I think it's worth it.

Change your avatar, please. Mutant-face.

The_Hombre
08-24-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm just saying, expecting tip from someone who doesn't earn her own money is stupid. Because it's obvious that I'm not going to give money to someone who's 2 years older than me.

That ain't really the way it works... there are a lot of people out there in the service industry who are older than you.

the_GoDdEsS
08-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Oh fuck. Weird, seriously. Don't do that to us, man.

The_Hombre
08-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Oh fuck. Weird, seriously. Don't do that to us, man.

?

What am I doing wrong? I assumed you meant me.

Sin Studly
08-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Stop assuming, idiot. She means weirddimensions. OBviously.

The_Hombre
08-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Hmm. Sorry.

Weirddimensions
08-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Change your avatar, please. Mutant-face.

Ok, but only because it's been making the girls go ew.

Rag Doll
08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah, and I'm a good tipper. I used to be a waitress in an italian restuarant/pizza place/bar.....and you make like no money except in tips. It sucks =\. And it's terrible to not get tips...you only make like $2-3 an hour...like half of minimum wage =\. I guess it's different here than other countries though.

RXP
08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
I never used to tip but my ex was a waitress and she worked her ass off for minimum wage and tips was the only way she'd get anywhere decent money. So now I do.

If you don't tip and you're not poor you're just cheap. No nothing wrong with being cheap.

coke_a_holic
08-24-2005, 12:00 PM
servicial
Oh yeah, that's a word.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Yes, i tip. To impress the ladiessss.

Thucydides
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
No, why? Because I'm a cheap ass.

Preocupado
08-24-2005, 12:08 PM
In a brazilian food restaurant in NY the waiter came to me and said: "The tips are not included in the bill"

I bet he said that because brazilians have this stereotype of being sleazy with money.

If that's not the matter, then why didn't he call me Sir?

~*hit_that*~
08-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Seriously, what an annoying thing! It's so rude when waiters actually expect you to tip and then glare at you if you don't. Why the hell should I pay more than what I'm supposed to?

I generally don't. Only when I really enjoyed the service. And even in general people here don't really tip. No one expects you to and it's just considered a 'nice' gesture if you do it. I find it awesome how apparently in certain Asian countries it is an insult if you tip the waiter.

If everything about the time I spend in a place is good, I generally leave a tip. However, if I don't like them or their service was shit or whatever, then I don't bother. It's not deemed compulsory or whatever to do so here in England. It is a nice gesture though :)

Weirddimensions
08-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Put this in your avatar Weird... ...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/Mix/crying_baby2.jpg

I will never use that.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
I will never use that.

Hahhahahah, your avatar is FAR worse.

Preocupado
08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
It's an useless gesture. It should be implied at the bill and that's it. Specially if the restaurant serves people from different nationalities like the ones in NY.

Thucydides
08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
It's not deemed compulsory or whatever to do so here in England. It is a nice gesture though :)

Depends where you go really - probably nowhere in Birmingham ;) But if you go anywhere even remotely 'posh' I think they pretty much expect it.

Weirddimensions
08-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Nimrod In Town']Hahhahahah, your avatar is FAR worse.

My avatar's seducing you and that makes you nervous. And that's my quote biatch.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-24-2005, 12:20 PM
My avatar's seducing you and that makes you nervous. And that's my quote biatch.

My gosh...Chinese, or Jap people SUCK.

jackass
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
I tip if their nice. Haha! The best waitress ever was the one who behaved like she was high! She kept asking my friends and I for hi-fives and telling us that she loved us. Then when my one friend went back to the same place the same girl kept coming up to my friends brother and telling him he was special. She watched him while he was outside smoking holding up signs saying such things. Haha, I loved her.

RXP
08-24-2005, 12:29 PM
The thing with the 'service' charge on the bill is that the company keeps half in some cases even more. That's what it was like for my ex. The firm kept the service charge and they get a tiny bit of it!

Weirddimensions
08-24-2005, 12:31 PM
In American movies his name's Chow Yun Fat, you can spell it however you want though I guess since it'll always be wrong.

Nimrod In Town']My gosh...Chinese, or Jap people SUCK.

What are you saying about yourself then if you don't have enough personality to come up with your own sig and have to quote a Chinese guy instead? Don't hate.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
What are you saying about yourself then if you don't have enough personality to come up with your own sig and have to quote a Chinese guy instead? Don't hate.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Weirddimensions
08-24-2005, 12:42 PM
The quote in your sig is mine. I'm Chinese. Don't make fun of the people you rely on to look interesting. And don't be racist, you'll feel better about yourself.

Weirddimensions
08-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Yea, YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT??? :eek:

JoY
08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I usually tip a little bit, if only for the gesture. when they look at me with this offended face, I just say "hey, I'm a student" & walk off. if the service was awesome, I give bigger tips.

Weirddimensions
08-24-2005, 12:53 PM
No, there's no asian girl here for you to talk to. And those two innocent sounding questions you just asked come off about 9x more slimey now that I know you've been trying satisfy a fetish this whole time. You can zip up your fly now perv.

Idiot
08-24-2005, 12:55 PM
I generally don't. Only when I really enjoyed the service.

Thats the same for me.

Sinister
08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
No, there's no asian girl here for you to talk to. And those two innocent sounding questions you just asked come off about 9x more slimey now that I know you've been trying satisfy a fetish this whole time. You can zip up your fly now perv.

great comeback dude.

nieh
08-24-2005, 03:01 PM

In America, minimum wage is currently set to $5.15. Waiters are the only job (that I know of?) that have a lower minimum wage of something about $2.50. They get by on tips, not their hourly wage. Because they get such a lower wage it's become pretty much obligated that you leave a tip (some places will even factor a tip into the bill if there's a certain amount of people dining). That's probably not the case in other countries, but I we're just special like that.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-24-2005, 03:09 PM
The quote in your sig is mine. I'm Chinese. Don't make fun of the people you rely on to look interesting. And don't be racist, you'll feel better about yourself.

What are you talking about ?!?!?!? I know it's yours! I QUOTED YOU!! EVERYONE DOES THAT, FAGGOT!

Homer
08-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Like many people have said already, most of the waiters/waitresses here rely on tips to actually get a decent pay. So yeah, you basically have to tip them unless the service was really crappy. If it's crappy I just leave about a buck.

Betty
08-24-2005, 09:00 PM
I think in the US/Canada the bigger question is do you tip at bars? Sure, if I order a pitcher, I will generally add a couple of bucks... but do you tip if your order a drink? To answer my own question, I'll usually give a quarter per $4 drink or whatever. But if drinks are really expensive (e.g. an even $5 for a beer... who's going to tip on an even $5... make it $4.50 or something for the change) or the service is very bad, I might not. But I don't think you should be expected to at bars so much as restaurants, like with getting nasty glares and the like.

Sin Studly
08-24-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm Chinese.

Hide your dogs, hide your cats.

Endymion
08-24-2005, 09:37 PM
same as the other north americans.

i'll typically leave between ten and twenty percent, whatever makes my bill come out to an even amount, if the service was adequate. if it sucked, fivish percent, *really* bad, no tip for you buddy. i've tipped as high as thirty percent for very good service in a nice place.

my friend jacob is a cheap fucking jew and won't tip above one dollar. luckily, he's also a lazy bastard, never has cash on him, and typically will go to the bathroom after eating. as such, he commonly gives me or someone else at the table his credit card to have us pay for him and we'll leave a normal sized tip despite his warning of "don't leave more than a dollar, she only gave me four refills on my drink!"

Sin Studly
08-24-2005, 09:38 PM
I would never, ever leave a tip, no matter what fucking country I was in.

Sunny
08-24-2005, 11:10 PM

agreed. hmm.

i also tip hairdressers, people who do my nails/etc, and cab drivers. 10%-15% unless the service was unusually enjoyable, in which case i tip more.

Mota Boy
08-24-2005, 11:23 PM
I think in the US/Canada the bigger question is do you tip at bars? Sure, if I order a pitcher, I will generally add a couple of bucks... but do you tip if your order a drink? To answer my own question, I'll usually give a quarter per $4 drink or whatever. But if drinks are really expensive (e.g. an even $5 for a beer... who's going to tip on an even $5... make it $4.50 or something for the change) or the service is very bad, I might not. But I don't think you should be expected to at bars so much as restaurants, like with getting nasty glares and the like.
Tonight I had a $7.50 tab and tipped $2.50 'cause I love that pub (The Sherlock Holmes, run by an old English couple and the husband used to play bass for Roy Orbison), plus they kept it open an hour later while my friends and I had a few beers, giving my friend who turned 21 a free Guiness. I also got a free Beam last night after the bartender was so drunk he fucked up an order. I'll tip sometimes, especially if the bartender is nice/attractive and I plan on returning often. It's good to be known as a good tipper. One time in D.C., a friend of mine got thrown out of a bar after he didn't tip the bartender.

And I'll sometimes tip barbers, cabbies, doormen, prostitutes and members of the clergy.

Not Ozymandias
08-24-2005, 11:28 PM
I usually overtip unless the person is a cunt. It makes the world a better place. I should mention that I never pick up the check so it's basically irrelevant, but I just thought you all ought to know what a swell guy I am.

RXP
08-25-2005, 01:00 AM
I never tip in bars, it just doesn't feel like a *service* when they just get you your drink. I dunno.

Weirddimensions
08-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Nimrod In Town']What are you talking about ?!?!?!? I know it's yours! I QUOTED YOU!! EVERYONE DOES THAT, FAGGOT!

Well look at it this way, I would never quote a guy who I thought was an unoriginal loser that spends all his time on this message board trying to be funny and sucking at it. And when I say that I'm also saying I'd never quote you. I'd never want to be associated with a guy a like you at all. Now you're laughing and saying Chinese people suck, and all the while you're relying on a Chinese guy to help make your posts look even a little interesting. How big of a joke are you? It might be just a sig, but if I ever had to place a quote from you at the end of every post I make, I'd leave. Are you still confused? I'll draw you a picture if you need it. I'm here to help.

Hide your dogs, hide your cats.

http://www.geocities.com/jigsawjameson/StevenBaby3.JPG

Hide your cats.

Diamond Dee
08-25-2005, 07:45 AM
I usually tip between 15 to 20% unless I get absolutely shitty service at a restaurant. I'm still trying to figure out how much a standard tip is for a haircut, valet, bell clerk, etc. I have no clue. :(

As for the people that said that they get paid below minimum wage isn't that against the law? That's why a minimum wage is set by the state.

Rag Doll
08-25-2005, 07:52 AM
I know when I was a waitress, we got paid under the table. I dunno about other places. But no waiter/waitress is going to make decent money. I've never heard anyone make more than $4 an hour. And even that was a lot.

Vera
08-25-2005, 07:59 AM
*insert half-assed Reservoir Dogs joke here*

Diamond Dee
08-25-2005, 08:23 AM
I know when I was a waitress, we got paid under the table. I dunno about other places. But no waiter/waitress is going to make decent money. I've never heard anyone make more than $4 an hour. And even that was a lot.
If you get paid under the table then the owner can pull shit like that so you don't get paid what you're supposed to. Business owners screw employees that way and also the employee screw themselves, which is unfortunate.

Rag Doll
08-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Ah, yeah, I know...I can't say I cared all that much though, since I just wanted a little extra spending money.

That's not how all waitstaff is paid though. Even those that work for large national chains make well under minimum wage....and I doubt they're getting paid under the table. They figure you make more than minimum when you factor in tips...but that isnt always the case.

Camilamazed
08-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Tipping is not a common thing around here..... But +10% of the total bill is charged for the services ,Which I utterly believe to be a wrong thing because you must not pay for something you didn't enjoy. Luckly we can decide if we pay this 10% or not.

I generally tip when the services please me though ^^

Mota Boy
08-25-2005, 08:48 AM
As for the people that said that they get paid below minimum wage isn't that against the law? That's why a minimum wage is set by the state.
Yeah, but restaurants have a lower minimum wage, the assumption being that they'll make up the difference in tips.

And I usually tip the valet/bell boy a dollar.

Sin Studly
08-25-2005, 10:55 AM
http://www.geocities.com/jigsawjameson/StevenBaby3.JPG

Hide your cats.

Lolz, u 8 my seaman!

Weirddimensions
08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
you didn't think it was funny did you?

HornyPope
08-25-2005, 11:32 AM
I hate tipping in bars. All they do is get you a beer from the fridge or pour you something on tap. It's not even table service, some times. Yet you're compelled to leave 'em something else you're left with a shitty, slow service for the rest of the night. Assholes.

Sin Studly
08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
you didn't think it was funny did you?

Fraid not, the only shop of myself (out of the 30 or 40 people have made on this site) that I found amusing was the BBS Dictators one.

Alec
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM
one time my dad tiped a waiter $40.00! she was really nice

RXP
08-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Did she hae DDs?

Diamond Dee
08-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Yeah, but restaurants have a lower minimum wage, the assumption being that they'll make up the difference in tips.

And I usually tip the valet/bell boy a dollar.
I must be living in a closet because I've never heard of anyone here getting paid below the state set minimum wage. Several people I know have worked in a restaurant or currently work at one and always get minimum wage plus tips. I also do a lot of research regarding labor laws for my job and I've never seen that. Maybe California is different. :confused:

I usually tip around $2.00 for valet and for similar services.

JohnnyNemesis
08-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Tipping is essential, for reasons stated too many times here. I didn't realize that waiters/waitresses got extra dough over in most European countries though.

Over here, if the service is exceptional, I'll just leave a very generous tip. I don't even know the percentage. Average service gets 10-15%. Bad service gets nothing, unless the waiter/waitress was obviously new and nervous. Then I'll leave a decent tip anyway, because I feel they should get one anyway.

My buddy Victor worked as a waiter at this incredibly expensive restaurant in Manhattan. Lotsa celebrities, CEOs, and random bigshots had parties and dinners over there. One time he got a $4,700 tip from a group of about 6 or 7 ridiculously wealthy people. They all got together and left a $4,700 tip. He paid rent for half-a-year on ONE tip. That's insane.

Betty
08-26-2005, 08:27 PM
First thought: Tipping a valet has NEVER been an issue for me... that sounds way too classy.

Second thought: Okay, I can only feel SO bad for the poor waiters/waitresses who get below minimum wage. I totally wanted a wait/bartending job part time cause in a lot of places you make a killing on tips, or at least you make a decent wage overall. At the classier places, people come home with a couple hundred dollars after ONE shift.

RXP
08-27-2005, 01:33 AM
Yeah those people don't need to be tipped. Some people that shoudl be:

I wanted to tip this girl in a supermarket once. Firstly cause she's probably the hottest girl I've ever seen and she was obviously a student. And secondly and most importantly we were rookies at shopping for ourselves.

So we had a bunch of cherries and other expensive fruit. She could have just put the barcode thru and charged 5 for like 1lb of cherries but no no she was sweet and told us are you sure you want these? But my 2 friends were there and plus no one tips supermarket staff and cuase of the way she looked it would have been like I was being a loser trying to get laid.

But it shows how good service makes a good impression. Actually next time someone at the supermarket makes an effort, smiles, helps pack etc. I will tip if no one's around.

Tizzalicious
08-27-2005, 01:35 AM
I tip in restaurants, but not in bars...unless I've been sitting there all night//afternoon and I got served.