PDA

View Full Version : Minus the Bear are fucking awesome

nieh
08-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Minus the Bear play mostly indie-rock mixed with a bit of metal and dance-rock. They like giving their albums/songs weird names that don't really have anything to do with the song. I've come to the conclusion today that every single one of their songs makes at least one reference to girls or alcohol, but not in the "she dumped me so I'm getting trashed to forget" sort of way, more in the "we went to the beach and drank beer and made love until we passed out and woke up and did it again the next day and it was the best time of my life" sort of way. Their first album had lots of neat guitar noodling that sounds really pretty. Their second album has less noodling and a bit more metal in the mix (though there's still lots of prettiness). I <3 them very much and you all should too.

Thanks for the Killer Game of Crisco Twister (http://www.savefile.com/files/1366310) From their first full length album

Drilling (http://www.savefile.com/files/5794935) from their second full length album (out yesterday)

Fine, +2 pts (http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=254MB3NYBLFIJ0BGMB73MU2X2B) from their third EP.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-24-2005, 06:14 PM
The first two links don't work. I'm downloading the third now, I'll tell you what I think.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-24-2005, 06:20 PM
It was really, really excellent. Highly recommended to everyone and I'll be downloading some more.

In my minds eye the lead singer looked like sKratch. wtf.

nieh
08-24-2005, 06:24 PM
What the fuck? I just re-uploaded the first two songs and they said the new links were invalid?

I'm glad you liked them and I will try to get those fixed again real quick.

peko
08-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Ooh, I like, I like. Thanks for the recommendation. :D

bloodsugar
08-25-2005, 11:57 AM
i like them a lot, i have the album!

nieh
08-25-2005, 05:43 PM
The links have been fixed!

bloodsugar, which album do you have? They have 2 full lengths and 3 EPs.

nieh
08-26-2005, 04:27 PM
I feel this band is worth at least one bump, especially considering the only reason it got pushed to the second page is because of Alec's flooding.

kickass0987654321
08-26-2005, 04:29 PM
I feel this band is worth at least one bump, especially considering the only reason it got pushed to the second page is because of Alec's flooding.
He starts way too many damn threads. I don't feel like listening to music. Sorry.

nieh
09-04-2005, 04:14 PM
These guys are better than almost everyone. And the links are still active! But probably only for another day or so.

Evil-Dead
09-10-2005, 06:37 PM
I prefer the "she dumped me so I'm getting trashed to forget" way though, like Alkaline Trio

nieh
09-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Wow, someone other than myself bumped this. To celebrate, here's probably my favorite song off their new album:

Minus the Bear - Hooray (http://www.savefile.com/files/4410936)

Lars
09-11-2005, 12:24 AM
They're playing the Underworld here on November 2nd but tickets aren't listed anywhere yet.

HeadAroundU
09-11-2005, 01:51 PM
talented,gifted but not my taste!sorry :)

nieh
09-11-2005, 07:14 PM
They're playing the Underworld here on November 2nd but tickets aren't listed anywhere yet.

I have no idea where "here" is.

Endymion
09-11-2005, 07:27 PM
amazon's recommended them to me because i listen to an albatross and ex models... but not really my style.

nieh
09-11-2005, 07:55 PM
amazon's recommended them to me because i listen to an albatross and ex models... but not really my style.

I've never heard either of those bands, but I know you're into hardcore. They probably recommended them to you as their guitarist used to be in Botch.

Endymion
09-11-2005, 08:00 PM
i don't really listen to regular hardcore... usually faster stuff closer to mathcore or grindcore. an albatross are kinda sorta hardcoreish, like if you crossed the locust with a circus. ex models, however, are a new york noise rock band... but not so much on the noise. it's like if you mix and matched parts of 80s new wave. fun shit. you might like? (http://www.csulb.edu/~plecnik/music/Ex%20Models%20-%20Zoo%20Love.mp3)

nieh
09-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Botch = mathcore, somewhere along the lines of Convege meets Dillinger Escape Plan. I like DEP (I have their first album) but not the other two based on the couple tracks I've heard by them.

That Ex Models song sounds a bit like the noisier stuff off The Blood Brothers' "Crimes" album, but they didn't really go anywhere with it.

Evil-Dead
09-12-2005, 08:01 AM
good song though :)

Lars
09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I have no idea where "here" is.
Nope, but a simple look at the date on their tour dates would supply you with the answer. London.

nieh
07-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Minus the Bear - Throwin' Shapes (http://www.stereogum.com/mp3/Minus%20The%20Bear%20-%20Throwin'%20Shapes.mp3)
Minus the Bear - Dr. L'ling (http://www.aolcdn.com/_media/ch_music/minus-the-bear_dr_l_ling.mp3)
They have a new album out in August apparently.

Venom Symbiote
07-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Are these the guys with the awesome song titled? "Lemurs, Man, Lemurs", and "Monkey Knife Fight" and all? "I'm Totally Not Down With Rob's Alien"?

Lollercoaster. I've never really been impressed with the music itself (it's not bad, just not my kind of thing, the whole...indie...rock...blah), but their song titles are fucking astounding.

endlesst0m
07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I recommend this band as well. Especially to people who like to smoke pot and then listen to music.

Tired_Of_You
07-16-2007, 06:23 PM
I like them and it's because of you. I think I first listened to them on your mix tape.

bd007h
07-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Planet Of Ice comes out in August, but it leaked already. I downloaded it today.

nieh
07-17-2007, 07:09 AM
I recommend this band as well. Especially to people who like to smoke pot and then listen to music.
I was listening to one of the songs at work and the person next to me said "I LOVE that kind of music, it's great to smoke weed to". I don't see why you need to smoke to enjoy it.

I like them and it's because of you. I think I first listened to them on your mix tape.
Hooray!

Rag Doll
07-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Hooray!

yet another good minus the bear song.

i need to download this stuff.

nieh
07-17-2007, 09:43 AM
The first one definitely sounds a bit single-ish to me, but it's still good.

H1T_That
07-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Are these the guys with the awesome song titled? "Lemurs, Man, Lemurs", and "Monkey Knife Fight" and all? "I'm Totally Not Down With Rob's Alien"?

Lollercoaster. I've never really been impressed with the music itself (it's not bad, just not my kind of thing, the whole...indie...rock...blah), but their song titles are fucking astounding.

I generally agree. I can listen to the MTB CD i have now and again(read hardly ever), but they're not a band i'm crazy over.

The song names are awesome.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Just listened. Dr. L'ling, in addition to having an awesome title, is really weird and fun and I like it. Still doesn't beat the original "Drilling" though. But then again, what does? The jury's still out on the other song. I think I like the song but it's a bit overproduced.

I also listened to the 30-second samples of all the tracks on Planet of Ice at cduniverse, and I really, really like the sound of "White Mystery." I'm looking forward to this album.

0r4ng3
07-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Just listened. Dr. L'ling, in addition to having an awesome title, is really weird and fun and I like it. Still doesn't beat the original "Drilling" though.
Y'know, I never made that connection with the song titles before.

Revolver-2005?
07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
I really like Minus the Bear but I'm not feeling any of the new songs, they don't interest me much.

nieh
07-23-2007, 06:04 PM
I think I like the song but it's a bit overproduced.

I generally agree. I just pre-ordered the album a few minutes ago so I'll be getting it plus BUTTONS! So far, based on the full songs and the samples on cduniverse, this doesn't seem to have any of the problems that bothered me about their last one, but at the same time, Throwin' Shapes and a couple of the songs sound like they're a bit too produced and some of them seem like they come dangerously close to blending in with the whole 'typical' indie-rock sound.

Rag Doll
07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
i'm glad i'm not the only one excited about the pre-order buttons. weeoo.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-31-2007, 12:42 AM
More and more and more and more, I am madly in love with "Dr. L'ling." Minus the Bear's one of those bands that usually stays kind of "close to home," so it's a tremendous delight to hear a song that's just absolutely fuckin' weird. It's definitely one of the least-boring songs I've ever heard.

On a negative note, it looks as if I'll have to drive all the way to Charlotte if I want to catch them on their tour, during what will undoubtedly be a ridiculously busy time of year for me.:mad:

nieh
07-31-2007, 04:58 AM
I think they deliberately tried something a little different with the lyrics on that one too. It's nice to see them trying something new, but some of the lines seem a bit lame to me. Otherwise I like the song a lot.

edit: according to this (http://www.adequacy.net/review.php?reviewID=8006), some of the songs even get political this time around.

Revolver-2005?
08-01-2007, 01:01 PM
I just got the CD (Downloaded it off of a bit torrent), and it's actually an excellent album. They didn't stray to far from their formula, but the album remains interesting still. It's very good, especially the first song "Burying Luck".

I've uploaded "Burying Luck" for anyone interested.

http://www.savefile.com/files/935934

Rag Doll
08-10-2007, 11:11 AM
got the cd in the mail today. havent listened to it yet. however, i'm a little saddened by the buttons... =\

nieh
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
What's wrong with the buttons? I'm actually expecting it to be there when I get back home today.

Rag Doll
08-10-2007, 11:55 AM
i was expecting like...logo buttons. you know? or even some suicide squeeze buttons. but...mehhhh.

nieh
08-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Why is it not here yet!? *whines*
I don't have any idea what it could possibly be if not a logo button or suicide squeeze button...what's on them? It's not like pictures of the back of their heads or something, is it?

Rag Doll
08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
It's not like pictures of the back of their heads or something, is it?

were you in my mail?

nieh
08-11-2007, 12:39 PM
no...*shifty eyes*
They have lots of pictures of the backs of their heads on their website though.

nieh
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Ok, why the hell was Electric Rainbow left off the album? I <3 it. Also, I love how hints of Mars Volta influence have been popping up on their last two albums.

Rag Doll
08-18-2007, 12:05 PM
i have finally listened to it.

faves are *Dr. L'Ling*, *When We Escape*, and *Double Vision Quest*. haven't had a chance to listen to the bonus cd yet.

so fucking excited to see them in october.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Saaaaaammmmmm!!! Saaaaaaammmmmmm!!! Are you going to the show in Sayreville by any chance? I may be going to that one. I've been looking for an excuse to go visit a friend in Edison and I think I've found it since that show coincides with my school's fall break.

Rag Doll
08-18-2007, 01:17 PM
owwww. i was going to go to that one! but it's a sunday and my boyfriend has class monday morning and i'm already making him miss his monday classes for a smashing pumpkins show.

come to the one in nyc. it's the night before. i'm going to it.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-19-2007, 08:04 PM
That may end up being a good excuse to hang out in NYC for awhile. I'll weigh the options. The Sayreville one is probably more convenient.

Also, their video for "Knights" is on their myspace now. Normally I hate music videos in which some annoying mirror effect or other camera gimmick is going on the entire time (Blink-182's "Always" comes to mind. Fucking unwatchable). But this one is better done than most, owing mostly to breaks in the formula. Like one time the drummer walks across the middle line and at the end there's this REEEALLY trippy scene in which Jake is normal in the left image but his eyes are inverted on the right image. It's a really good song too.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-20-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm with Sam. "When We Escape" and "Dr. L'Ling" are both phenomenal. This is a satisfying album. They've progressed nicely. I wish it were a bit longer though. Maybe the bonus CD will make it seem a bit more complete.

nieh
09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
So, I may end up going to either the Sayreville or NYC show. The one in Philly is on a Monday and I'm working the late shift that week so I won't be able to make it there before the opening act starts (I've actually gotten to the point where I'm more psyched about seeing Subtle than I am about seeing Minus the Bear so I'd be kind of pissed if I missed them). The thing is, my friend is coming up from Florida for that weekend so I'm not sure which day I'll end up being able to head up there.

WebDudette
09-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Subtle are opening huh? The few Subtle songs I have heard are pretty amazing.

nieh
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, they're supposed to be really good live too.

"Their live shows are particularly noted for their theatricality, incorporating hand-painted backdrops, set props, "costumes", and theatrical monologues that go alongside the musical performances."

nieh
10-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Seeing them tonight. And apparently Statehood (who have the drummer and bass player from the Dismemberment Plan) are opening for them tomorrow in Richmond VA. I kinda wish they were touring together instead of just playing the one show together.