PDA

View Full Version : Where dose the money go?

Chanz
08-25-2005, 07:03 PM
I was reading somewhere that BHP (a mining company that sells our countries resources) made a PROFIT of $44 BILLION... ok I was like geez. Then I sat down and I thought why the Fuk do we have to pay taxes if they gave every single person in Australia wich is roughly 22 million people a million dollars they would still have so much fukin money left over. Now I would like to know where the hell all this god dam money goes and why people have to go through life shitting off to pat taxes when there are companies that could pay countries debts and taxes and so on. What you people think?

Sinister
08-25-2005, 07:07 PM
I think the company presidents (starting with Bill Gates) are selfish, greedy, and don't give a damn about other people's troubles. And I don't see why they bother making ridiculously high profits when they're gonna die anyway and most of their cash will not serve them.

Chanz
08-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Dont you think its suspisious?

Sinister
08-25-2005, 07:13 PM
no, just damn selfish. what do you mean by "suspisious" [sic.] ?

Chanz
08-25-2005, 07:21 PM
If governements were able to pay off countries debts then why dont they do it unless there is a bigger thing that's going on... (sorry i believe in the conspiracy theory)

T-6005
08-26-2005, 10:08 AM
I believe that companies want to invest in more and better equipment, to be able to produce more as the needs of the beneficiary of their services requires, and to basically improve the position of the company, first and foremost.

"Profit" doesn't mean that they throw all of that money somewhere and watch it, you know.

HornyPope
08-26-2005, 12:52 PM
First- the profit of that BHP company is 6.3 billion USD. (SOURCE) (http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1265&storyid=3648742)

Second- the profit isn't collected by one man. It's split between shareholders, who range from wealthy business to middle-class families with few thousands in mutual funds.

Third- Government collects taxes because the programers it watches over require a huge budget. Much more than the aforementioned 6.3 billion. Think about health care (the money to run hospitals and to provide medication), schools, national defense, infrustructure etc...

RXP
08-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Well explained HP.

Sin Studly
08-27-2005, 02:40 AM
I refuse to accept HP's explanation because I'm convinced that BHP are dickhead shitfaces for not giving me a million dollars for nothing in return.

Yeah, so anyways moron-who-started-this-poorly-thought-out-semi-anarchist-rant, if everybody in Australia were suddenly given a million dollars, who'd do all the shitkicking work? Who'd build the houses and look after the sick, and protect the neighbourhoods? Nobody, that's who. So 1 million dollars would very soon be worth almost nothing, and the entire country would plunge into a depression.

But hey, that's a small price to pay for h4rdc0r3 anarky, isn't it?

RXP
08-27-2005, 03:39 AM
Well the fact of the matter is in real monetary terms if everyone got a million it woudln't be worth but something like 100. The economy levels itself out.

Sin Studly
08-27-2005, 04:07 AM
Exactly. Didn't the US paradrop 'care packages' of conterfeited Reichmarks into German territories during WW2 to destroy their economy?

RXP
08-27-2005, 04:29 AM
I have no idea. But the logic is simple. The monies trade is another market just like the labour market or the main consumer market. If supply increases of a product it's price falls.

The million pounds, however, in the hippy view as you term it could be used to develop economies in poorer countries. This would not be inflationary and would help out the entire world in the long run including a richer west.

but oh well.

Sin Studly
08-27-2005, 05:09 AM
The bottom line is, money has to be worthless enough to force people to work or nothing will ever get done. If everyone has a million dollars, a million dollars has to decrease in value to the point where people are forced to work. This is like, the simplest most basic shit ever, and it's fucking depressing that some idiots still haven't figure it out.

T-6005
08-27-2005, 05:34 AM
Exactly. Didn't the US paradrop 'care packages' of conterfeited Reichmarks into German territories during WW2 to destroy their economy?

Wouldn't you need an unbelievable amount of paper money to cause inflation to any serious degree?

Sin Studly
08-27-2005, 05:41 AM
Not really, just imagine what daily air drops of hundreds of thousands of thousand dollar bills would do to America.

T-6005
08-27-2005, 06:22 AM
Quite honestly, I'm not sure it would do that much. The US's money supply is divided into a lot more than simply paper money - I can't remember how little of it it is, but it's not that big. You could fuck up a few regions, I suppose, with enough, but I think it would really take an impossible amount to change the entire economy.

Something about the money supply in my economics class - I can't remember now.

Sin Studly
08-27-2005, 06:28 AM
I dunno the logistics of it, but I do know counterfeiting money is considered treason or terrorism or something like that in the US because of the potential to fuck the economy.

Jesus
08-28-2005, 06:30 AM
I was reading somewhere that BHP (a mining company that sells our countries resources) made a PROFIT of $44 BILLION... ok I was like geez. Then I sat down and I thought why the Fuk do we have to pay taxes if they gave every single person in Australia wich is roughly 22 million people a million dollars they would still have so much fukin money left over.

Most of the Anglo-Saxon world uses the term billion to refer to a 1000 million instead of a million*million like the rest of the world. Thus $44 billion equals only $2000 a person (if you're with 22 million).

RXP
08-28-2005, 06:59 AM
I thought it was 100 million = billion and in europe 1,000 million = billion.

Billion in maths is 9 zeros.

The Talking Pie
08-28-2005, 07:41 AM
I think the company presidents (starting with Bill Gates) are selfish, greedy, and don't give a damn about other people's troubles.
Please, Bill Gates does more for charity and other people's troubles than all the inhabitants of a small (or even large) country put together do over the course of their lifetime.

RXP
08-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Bill Gates' 'charity' figures are misleading. To qualify for a charity under law you have to satisfy some criteria, it's not hard to. It's not like he's giving all his money to oxfam or whatever. he might give a lot but if I give 10 a month to a charity I bet I'm giving more of my total income to charity than gates.

The Talking Pie
08-28-2005, 08:44 AM
To be classed as a registered charity non-profit organisation you have to use ten percent of your revenue for charitable causes (or something to that effect), I believe. The Gates charity foundation does significantly more than that. Look it up, it won't be hard to find.

RXP
08-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Alot of it is to do with tax reasons. I'm not denying he gives alot but not as much as the 5 billion a year makes it sound.

Jesus
08-28-2005, 10:50 AM
I thought it was 100 million = billion and in europe 1,000 million = billion.

Billion in maths is 9 zeros.

The American (and now also English) billion is 10^9 , thus a 1000 million.
The European (or non-English) billion is 10^12, thus a million*million.
For 10^9 , the term "milliard" (with local derivations ofcourse) is used in most non-English countries.

RXP
08-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I see. That's stupid. Trillian is a million million.

Jesus
08-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I see. That's stupid. Trillian is a million million.
haha, only in the English speaking world (and a few other countries). The UK only uses it since the 1970's. And it's trillion btw ; ).

The long scale method which the rest of the world uses makes more sense though (prefixes bi, tri, etc referring to the powers of a million):
million=million
billion=million*million
trillion=million*million*million
quadrillion=million*million*million*million
etc.

Sin Studly
09-02-2005, 04:58 AM
BHP should still give me a million dollars.