PDA

View Full Version : The Last Temptation of Christ

Sin Studly
08-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Anyone seen it? If not, you're missing out. I'm not going to waste my time stating my impressions of the film if nobody else has seen it or is willing to discuss, but I will say that Willem Dafoe as Jesus, Harvey Keitel as Judas and David Bowie (DAVID FUCKING BOWIE) as Pontius made for some of the coolest shit ever.

Punky Dudess
08-29-2005, 11:31 AM
i've heard about this film. i couldn't believe they'd cast David Bowie in a film like that.
do you recommend it?

Sin Studly
08-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I greatly recommend it, it's a masterpiece.

SkyRocker
08-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Based on what ? Mel Gibson style ?

Sin Studly
08-29-2005, 11:45 AM
The Passion was a disgrace, it wasn't worth watching.

The Last Temptation is insanely good. It portrays Christ as both human, and inhuman, and it focuses on his struggle between the temptation to live out his life as a normal man, work, marry, have children, grow old, etc. and the sacrificial destiny that God has planned for him. It shows him fighting against God, trying to force God to hate him by helping to crucify other Jews, then accepting his role in life and becoming a prophet, then during his execution it shows what might happen if he were freed from the cross, and lived out the rest of his life as a normal man. Then he has to choose between that, or dying on the cross. It also explores the notion of Judas making the greater sacrifice, actually going to Hell for all eternity for the benefit of mankind instead of just suffering for a couple of days.

A lot of churches banned it because in their eyes, being a Christian means you're not actually allowed to think for yourself. The movie isn't blasphemous at all, and doesn't claim to be working from the scriptures, it simply portrays Jesus as a deeper, flesh-and-blood character. And it's not a preachfest either, I'm agnostic and I loved it.

It's definately worth watching.

SkyRocker
08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
OK, so it's not another movie trying to say "this movie is real".
Could be interesting, i'll try to see it.
Worthless question but how is bowie in it ? I cannot imagine him as an actor.

Punky Dudess
08-29-2005, 11:55 AM
usually masterpieces are determined by the director. any idea's who did this one?

Sin Studly
08-29-2005, 11:55 AM
He's an excellent actor in it, best portrayal of Pontius Pilate ever. And the sexiest.

Sin Studly
08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
usually masterpieces are determined by the director. any idea's who did this one?

Martin Scorcese.

SkyRocker
08-29-2005, 11:57 AM
He's an excellent actor in it, best portrayal of Pontius Pilate ever. And the sexiest.
My guess is your subjective, a fan ?

the_GoDdEsS
08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
OK, so it's not another movie trying to say "this movie is real".
Could be interesting, i'll try to see it.
Worthless question but how is bowie in it ? I cannot imagine him as an actor.

David is the epitome of sex appeal and seeing him as an actor makes each cell of my body go insaaane. I gotta see this.

SkyRocker
08-29-2005, 12:03 PM
That's what I wanted to say, you don't see pilate but bowie. Too big aura.

Sin Studly
08-29-2005, 12:05 PM
It doesn't matter, he's only in the movie for about two minutes anyway, and he's very subdued and calm in it. He's still Bowie, but he is Pilate too.

SkyRocker
08-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Two minutes ?
ah ah, what a shame, is he in the ending credits ?
His name is in capital letters on the poster ?

Sin Studly
08-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Not at all, it's a very small role and he's not really credited in it at all in the advertising I've seen. He just talks with Jesus for a while, and sadly informs him that "You know what has to happen now. There's a space set aside for you, up on Golgotha... about three thousand skulls there now. I really wish you people would go up there and count them sometime, you might learn something...... No, probably not."

And that's it.

wheelchairman
08-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Actually the theory that what Judas did, not only being necessary, but being right, has been throwed around church discussions since the beginning. The Catholics just don't like it too much.

Little_Miss_1565
08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
David Bowie is a fucking amazing actor. And dead sexy. Fact.

ninthlayer
08-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Actually the theory that what Judas did, not only being necessary, but being right, has been throwed around church discussions since the beginning. The Catholics just don't like it too much.
Catholics are teh gays.

Sin Studly
08-30-2005, 09:22 AM

I know. The entire "alternate life" of Christ in the movie reads like a Gnostic scripture, but at the end it turns out Satan lured him off the cross and when he's 75 years old and dying Judas bitchslaps him for betraying God. It rocks.

SicN Twisted
08-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Willem Dafoe, who's really cool automatically in any role he plays, did a great fucking job playing Jesus Christ. I loved the movie. How many actors in the world can say they've played Jesus?

Sin Studly
08-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Willem Dafoe, who's really cool automatically in any role he plays, did a great fucking job playing Jesus Christ. I loved the movie. How many actors in the world can say they've played Jesus?

Throughout history? Only millions.

~*hit_that*~
08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
The Passion was a disgrace, it wasn't worth watching.

The Last Temptation is insanely good. It portrays Christ as both human, and inhuman, and it focuses on his struggle between the temptation to live out his life as a normal man, work, marry, have children, grow old, etc. and the sacrificial destiny that God has planned for him. It shows him fighting against God, trying to force God to hate him by helping to crucify other Jews, then accepting his role in life and becoming a prophet, then during his execution it shows what might happen if he were freed from the cross, and lived out the rest of his life as a normal man. Then he has to choose between that, or dying on the cross. It also explores the notion of Judas making the greater sacrifice, actually going to Hell for all eternity for the benefit of mankind instead of just suffering for a couple of days.

A lot of churches banned it because in their eyes, being a Christian means you're not actually allowed to think for yourself. The movie isn't blasphemous at all, and doesn't claim to be working from the scriptures, it simply portrays Jesus as a deeper, flesh-and-blood character. And it's not a preachfest either, I'm agnostic and I loved it.

It's definately worth watching.
I'm not religious, and don't believe in Jesus and co, do you still reccommend it? :p

Sin Studly
08-30-2005, 03:59 PM
No. Not because you're not religious, I'm not religious and I loved it. I don't reccomend it to you because I don't think you're intelligent enough to enjoy it.

~*hit_that*~
08-30-2005, 04:00 PM
No. Not because you're not religious, I'm not religious and I loved it. I don't reccomend it to you because I don't think you're intelligent enough to enjoy it.

Thanks, :)

I'm not really all that much of a movie-goer anyways :p

coke_a_holic
08-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks, :)

I'm not really all that much of a movie-goer anyways :p
*whooshing noise*...Kinda.

~*hit_that*~
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
*whooshing noise*...Kinda.

what?

10 letters :p