PDA

View Full Version : Ska

Pages : [1] 2

Apathy
08-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Anyone else Like Ska?

I'm recently loving everything in the genre.

Operation Ivy, Big D and The Kids Table, Suicide Machines, Sublime, Old Goldfinger, Old No Doubt, Catch 22... They all kick ass.

edit: don't worry, my taste has gotten better since this post.

Aimeht
08-31-2005, 03:21 AM
Yes, I do! I listen to Reel Big Fish and The Liptones. I love the sound of ska music, it makes me happy. I wanna bounce all around.

Chris
08-31-2005, 08:06 AM
all I can say is that you need to check out some of the bands on the UK scene - they really do know how to mix things up and push the genre forwards

Apathy
08-31-2005, 08:17 AM
all I can say is that you need to check out some of the bands on the UK scene - they really do know how to mix things up and push the genre forwards

Can I get any names? I don't think I know any UK Ska Bands.

Eddie
08-31-2005, 08:26 AM
I'm not a big fan of Ska music but there's 3 bands I like.
Reel Big Fish
The Skatalites
The Toasters

Chris
08-31-2005, 08:51 AM

sure thing, any of the following will do you fine; Howards Alias, No Comply, Capdown, Sonic Boom Six, Tauntra, Ye Wiles, The Scrub, Sadies Doll, Duff Muffin, King Prawn, The Filaments

that should be more than enough, take your pick as all those bands really know how to blend genres together and are talented to boot - they've all got websites or myspace pages if you have trouble downloading any from p2p (although I recommend soulseek personally)

Flexing Wings
08-31-2005, 08:56 AM
Funky SkaMunky!

Love Capdown, Dead 60's, Less Than Jake, Reel Bi9 Fish... and naturally the 9reat Madness...

Socially Rejected
08-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Less than jake must be the best band in that genre - every song is fucking great.

BuddyHolly
08-31-2005, 01:55 PM
yeah i love ska. especially... SEARCHBUTTON!!!

Cejus
08-31-2005, 03:10 PM
I like "Ska-P", a spanish group. I've never listened to any other ska group :o

nieh
08-31-2005, 04:43 PM

Capdown are pretty awesome and I think they're from the UK.

Reel Big Fish is fun and Catch 22 have some cool songs, though they're a bit inconsistent as a whole.

Apathy
08-31-2005, 06:35 PM
yeah i love ska. especially... SEARCHBUTTON!!!

I did. I found one or two threads, and Decided they were too old to revive.

Besides, It's not like this thread shows up every week like some do.

Anyway, Every ska fan should check this out, This Is A list of Some successful ska bands: http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185472

And This, Is a Guide to all things ska. How It began, Everything:

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71269

Thucydides
08-31-2005, 07:33 PM
What about The Specials? They practically invented the genre! Cool band - check out Ghost Town by them (written about Coventry).

nieh
08-31-2005, 07:42 PM
the Specials were second wave from the late 70s/early 80s. The first wave came in the 60s, so they had nothing to do with inventing anything. Little Bitch is a cool song though that sounds like Rancid 15 years early.

Chris
08-31-2005, 08:10 PM
I kinda avoid the trad wave as it just doesn't do it for me - two tone and beyond

and thats a good link Apathy, some ace bands mentioned there although didn't really wanna mention all the smaller bands as it would be hard for you to find anything to listen to - infact I think I know the person who recommended most of the UK bands...

Rancid_Guyxxx
08-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Five Iron Frenzy, The Insyderz, Sublime, The Gadgits, Mouthwash, David Hillyard Rocksteady, Mighty Mighty Bostones, Mad Caddies, Catch 22, Leftover Crack, Choking Victim, Operation Ivy, Mustard Plug, Planet Smashers, King Django, Pepper, Suicide Machines, Less Than Jake.

All great bands.

coke_a_holic
08-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Ska r0xx0rz.

I love: Operation Ivy, Big D and the Kids Table, Sublime, The Specials, Capdown, Suicide Machines, Reel Big Fish, Less than Jake, the few ska tunes Rancid plays, Pepper, Catch 22, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, older No Doubt, and the Dead 60's.

Striker
09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Ska-p dude...

English-Idiot
09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Big fan of Reel Big Fish here, gonna see em in a couple of weeks.
I also love Less Than Jake and Catch 22 are pretty good too :)

GreenTerror
09-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Ska's dead, bitches. :D

Apathy
09-02-2005, 08:45 PM
If you're serious, I'll respond with, No, Not Really.

Suicide Machines, And Big D and The Kids Table Both Released an album in 2005, and they're both Ska/punk.

It's Not Dead.

offspringueuse
09-03-2005, 02:56 AM
you forget ska-p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

The Darkside Has Cookies
09-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Sublime,Motion city soundtrack,and Less Than Jake. Bout it.

Chris
09-19-2005, 10:13 AM
any ska or reggae fan should sign up at the forums of www.skaforum.com - got a brill community there, mainly uk based at the moment, and growing as well. there's a site on the way as well, along with a zine that im writing for - enjoy

Punky Dudess
09-19-2005, 11:22 AM
The ska band in the sixth form at school are amazing. i believe their official name is 'socks' and they're getting a record deal soon

SkyRocker
09-19-2005, 11:36 AM
The ska band in the sixth form at school are amazing. i believe their official name is 'socks' and they're getting a record deal soon
"We're in boots" ?

Punky Dudess
09-19-2005, 11:41 AM
i don't know what you mean by that.........

SkyRocker
09-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Next record ?

Punky Dudess
09-19-2005, 11:49 AM
haha, possibly! thats a great idea. their first single is called 'spinny alley'. i think its an actual place in gloucester

notoriousdoc
09-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Madness anyone?

http://www.sweconpos.com/posters/madness.jpg

Aimeht
09-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh! Göta Lejon, that's in Stockholm.

Apathy
06-13-2006, 06:47 PM
August 8th is a beautiful day.

I dug this up because I'm going to see Streetlight Manifesto, Transition, Whole Wheat Bread, MxPx, and Reel Big Fish on August 8th.

Out of those, I really have only listened to Streetlight Manifesto, but they're good enough to be twenty bands.

Streetlight hasn't acknowledged the tour dates yet, but the other bands have.

http://www.myspace.com/mxpx
http://www.reelbigfish.com

Anyone else going to try and go?

opivy21
06-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm not really a fan of 3rd wave, but Catch 22 has some catchy tunes.

As far as my favorite ska bands go, I would say Operation Ivy, the Specials, and Madness.

Apathy
06-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm not really a fan of 3rd wave, but Catch 22 has some catchy tunes.

As far as my favorite ska bands go, I would say Operation Ivy, the Specials, and Madness.

Ahh, but which Catch 22?

If you mean their first album, well, that basically is Streetlight Manifesto.
As long as I dug this back up, I want to throw out a big wtf to Darkside has cookies who thinks Motion City Soundtrack is ska.

jacknife737
06-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Whole Wheat Bread,

They're a great band, nothing too special but fun and catchy.

DeAtHsTaR
06-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I dug this up because I'm going to see Streetlight Manifesto, Transition, Whole Wheat Bread, MxPx, and Reel Big Fish on August 8th.
I would give so much to see Streetlight and Reel Big Fish.

coke_a_holic
06-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Anyone else going to try and go?I'm going on July 10th!

Apathy
06-14-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm going on July 10th!

High Five!

They're a great band, nothing too special but fun and catchy.

I've heard they were amazing, but I never got the time to check them out. Do you know their best album to start with?

I would give so much to see Streetlight and Reel Big Fish.
They aren't going to Oregon, huh? You could try one of the California or Nevada dates.

nieh
06-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Wow. Thanks for bumping this. I'll have to see if my friend wants to go.

DeAtHsTaR
06-14-2006, 08:27 AM
They aren't going to Oregon, huh? You could try one of the California or Nevada dates.

Nah, they're all in the Southern parts of those states. I have no idea why they don't come to Portland.

Radi0_havana52
06-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Crack City Rockers

Apathy
06-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Nah, they're all in the Southern parts of those states. I have no idea why they don't come to Portland.

How about Seattle?

Anyway...there seems to be an absence of ska on warped. There's Less Thank Jake, and well, that's it. Even Big D didn't go on this year, and they tour non-stop.

DeAtHsTaR
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Anyway...there seems to be an absence of ska on warped. There's Less Thank Jake, and well, that's it. Even Big D didn't go on this year, and they tour non-stop.
I know, it's probably my favorite type of music and it seems like nobody listens to it anymore.

Never Gonna Find Me
06-14-2006, 09:17 AM
I know, it's probably my favorite type of music and it seems like nobody listens to it anymore.I do. Basically all I listen to at the moment is ska.

jacknife737
06-14-2006, 09:18 AM
I've heard they were amazing, but I never got the time to check them out. Do you know their best album to start with?

Well here is their myspcae page, it has like 5 or so songs on it

http://www.myspace.com/wholewheatbread

I'd say Old Man Samson is the standout.

Apathy
06-14-2006, 09:19 AM
It's nice, But... where's the ska?

jacknife737
06-14-2006, 09:20 AM
I know, it's probably my favorite type of music and it seems like nobody listens to it anymore.

I don't know about that, yeah there is a clear absence of ska in mainstream (mtv) music, but tons of my friends are really starting to explore all the great third wave bands. Hell Big D, is one of the biggest bands around where i live.

Apathy
06-14-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't know about that, yeah there is a clear absence of ska in mainstream (mtv) music, but tons of my friends are really starting to explore all the great third wave bands. Hell Big D, is one of the biggest bands around where i live.

Ha, I got all my friends into ska.
Pretty much everyone around me either likes emo or ska now. Nowadays, Big D is more like a Pop-Punk band with horns, but it's still fun, and they throw in the occasional ska tune. You Lost, You're Crazy is a great example.

ignition991
06-14-2006, 11:58 PM
I barely knew what ska ment till recently when I went to a "Battle of the bands" featuring ska bands and i found that I like ska, it's very upbeat and catchy. My favorite ska band would have to be Sublime.

coke_a_holic
06-15-2006, 12:22 AM
My favorite ska band would have to be Sublime.
I'm so sorry.

original_prankster
06-15-2006, 12:44 AM
I like:

Old Goldfinger
Big D & The Kids Table
Sublime
Reel Big Fish
The Aquabats
Operation Ivy
Suicide Machines
Old Less Than Jake

I haven't heard many ska bands... I am open to suggestions, of course.

leibstandarte109
06-15-2006, 02:35 AM
Ska's okay. There's only so much you can listen to without getting bored off your ass. It's strictly chilling music, something I don't do much.

DeAtHsTaR
06-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Ska's okay. There's only so much you can listen to without getting bored off your ass. It's strictly chilling music, something I don't do much.
Have you heard Streetlight Manifesto? That is high-energy ska.

Apathy
06-15-2006, 09:08 AM

Jeez, you must be talking about first or second wave now. Third wave is usually bouncy and fun. If anything, people would be annoyed by how happy and fast it sounds.

I would try Streetlight Manifesto. There are a few Slow Streetlight Songs, but many, many faster ones.

Or if you're just bored in general, I would try Big D and the Kids Table since there more just a rock band with some Horns.

I would also Try Streetlight manifesto. Here's a copy of the excellent list I found.

[Spunge] - A band from the United Kingdom. Generic but fun. Kicking Pigeons in the Park and Lyrical Content got me onto this band. The rest of their songs aren't bad but don't hit as hard as those two do. You can listen to clips on their website… just remember they’re just clips…

3DayBenda - Another local band, one of Valley’s favorites, they blend ska, rock, emo, and a metal, and it comes up trumps! They've got better since I first saw them, and make you want to dance. Listen to some songs on purevolume or myspace

Against All Authority - Skacore band from Florida. If you like Choking Victim you will like this band (and vice versa) but personally I think this band is much better. The music can be hit or miss, and the vocals aren’t to easy on the ears but they’re worth listening to for the lyrics. Skate or Die isn’t really their best song, but it really shows off what make the skacore genre different from skapunk. When the ska part comes in there is a slowing of the beat which is what makes a breakdown a breakdown. Their myspace and purevolume.

APB - Based in Leeds and around since 1998, these guys make sweet ska/dub. Lots of horns, you get the impression that the music is really important. Recently had quite a large line-up change, and "re-formed" though they never split. From their label website: “APB’s sound is an eclectic mix of 2 tone ska, reggae & dub flavourings underpinned by strongly anti-establishment lyrics & incredible bubbling reggae keyboards.”

Area 7 - A band from Australia. I found out about them because they did some horn work for The Living End. Like [Sponge], a lot of their stuff can be a bit generic. But they are good and I imagine fun to see. Nothing wrong with their music, just nothing that really stands out, but worth checking out if you really like all things ska. They don’t seem to have anything available for download or streaming, but you can go to their website

Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Or ASOB. Amazing Live band. They recently released a new album that had been in the works since 2003. Their music has always been great, but their singer has only recently become understandable. The music and lyrics are frenetic and aggressive and almost surprisingly good. Their website is down, but their myspace has a few songs.

Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution/Streetlight Manifesto/early Catch 22 - I'm lumping these bands together because the driving force behind all three bands is the same. Thomas. The Singer/Guitarist/Songwriter. The lyrics are just amazing. No one does breakneck lyrics like him. Then there’s the music which is usually just as fast. He gets the best musicians to play with him and it shows. Anyone would like these bands, not just people who like ska. Also, he has an extreme diy mentality. The reason Streetlight doesn't tour as much as most people would like is that they won't play venues that aren't all ages.

Big D and the Kids Table - From Boston. Good all around band. Lyrics a bit immature at points but still very good. The singer has a unique but strong voice. They are fun as hell live and Good Luck is a "must own" album for the skapunk genre.

Blame It On Edd - One of the best pop-punk/punkska bands (without horns) that I've seen successfully play ska. They've played with big bands to come through, including Rx Bandits. They have a myspace and make some very good music.

The Blue Meanies - A sick sick band. Unfortunatly... They aren’t really together anymore. Kiss Your Ass Goodbye is a fucking crazy album. Imagine polka and ska and techno synth speed horns. Confused? Get it and find out. Their other albums aren't (in my opinion) nearly as good as KYAG, but full throttle is often listed as their groundbreaking work. So if you like the KYAG, get Full Throttle and decide for yourself.

Capdown - Another UK band that makes sick music. One of the resons I don't really listen to them is that in most of their songs I can't understand the lyrics at all. They’re a skacore band with some ridiculous sax playing that reminds me of guitar solos. Songs are on their purevolume or myspace

Catch 22 (post Keasby Nights) - Just because Thomas Left, doesn’t mean you should ignore Catch 22. They are still a very talented band; unfortunately their lyrics took a pretty serious hit. In Alone in a Crowd they tried to sound like they did when Thomas was around and kind of succeeded. It’s still a pretty good album because the singer that replaced Thomas was a good singer and a good lyricist. In Dinosaur Sounds they stopped trying to sound like old Catch 22 and have another new singer. The new music is good in its own right so long as you don't compare it to old Catch 22. You can listen to Wine Stained Lips on purevolume

Catch-It Kebabs - Now legendary renowned local heroes of the Ilkley/Leeds area, Kebabs are a 10-piece with the recent addition of Beefy. They play jazz/ska/punk but don't pigeonhole them! Their combination of excellence and loveliness means they make friends and tour almost constantly, even though they're still in college/uni. Amazing. See their purevolume or their myspace

Choking Victem – I don’t really like this band, but so many people like them that I have to give them a mention. The recording quality is, for the most part, poor, the vocals bad and music only decent… for the most part. The major exception is Crack Rock Steady, which may be one of the best songs every written. Some of the other songs are still god awful, but there is stuff worth listening to too. 500 channels isn’t bad, and it’s on purevolume

Chris Murray - The closest thing I have to an Idol. He used to front a band called King Apparatus but they broke up and he went solo. He records all of his music by himself and owns (or runs [or works at]) a club in California and performs there quite often. His voice is great and he has guest vocaled for some amazing bands. I'll leave you with this website… just click on the listen link. You can also look at his myspace but the Chris Murray purevolume page is some guy from Dublin, not the one I know and love

Common Rider - What Operation Ivy should have become. This is the Singer from Op Ivy's newer band. Unfortunately they broke up a while ago. But the music is still amazing. What you loved about Operation Ivy is here (brilliant lyrics and good basslines and great ska influenced music). The band is full of good musicians. They aren’t amazing but they’re good. The guitar work is simple but catchy, the bass lines are good but not overdone and the lyrics are what you would expect from an Operation Ivy songwriter.

Dance Hall Crashers – A group lead by 2 female singers and good musicians. The girls can really sing but the music gets a bit repetitive. Since there really aren't many other female fronted ska bands that is generally ok. Their old stuff is closer to two tone, and their newer stuff is a lot poppier. They don’t really tour anymore, but they do have a myspace.

Daycare Swindlers – A punk band that has some really good skapunk songs. They’re broken up now but they were supposed to be a very good live act. From their website: “80's influenced melodic hardcore punk rock with some ska-influenced songs.” They have some mp3s on their website.

Distorted Penguins - Ska/Alternative/Rap – Zappa introduced them to me, but they are kind of local to me (ie within 3 or 4 hours). Their debut cd was good and their new cd is even better. They have a lot of talent and potential. They also have a myspace and a purevolume.

The Filaments - British punk band, mostly play punk, but when they play ska they do it bloody well. There's a new ska track in the works which is amazing, let's hope it's on the next album! They have a myspace but they aren’t together anymore.

Fishbone – They sometimes play ska. Usually they play so many genres that you can’t define what they are. Very talented and diverse. They've drifted from ska since their earlier stuff into more experimental and varied stuff, but its all very good. You can watch a video for their cover of sublime’s date rape on their myspace assuming it works on your computer…

Five Hours - Five Hours are a pop punk band with a ska flavor (no horns), from Louisville, Kentucky. They wrote extremely catchy songs such as "Peanut Butter and Jelly" and "No racist soul". The bass lines will blow you away, and it's just the kind of music that will have you dancing and singing along - if you can keep up. They broke up in either 2001 or 2002, and everyone is still waiting for a reunion show. They have a purevolume and a few songs for download and a Myspace

Five Iron Frenzy - Whats that? A listenable Christian band? Yeah, there are going to be a total of two on this list (well, technically Chris Murray and the Slackers have songs that mention god but I mean ones that have songs directed at youth group kids). In any case, they’ve broke up a while ago. The guys voice is amazing though. The band is pretty good too. You can listen to a few songs at their myspace.

Apathy
06-15-2006, 09:10 AM
The Forces of Evil - the singer from Reel Big Fish's side project. They are really good pop ska band. Poppy yes, but the songs are more like early Reel Big Fish, only the singer's voice has gotten astronomically better. These guys are probably fun as balls live. They have a bunch of free songs on their site.

Game Show Host - They call themselves ska-dub-reggae-core, and they are pretty much veterans of the local (Portsmouth) scene now. I really really liked them when I saw them, they seem really laid back and the saxophone player used to work at the bar at the venue. I haven't seen them play anywhere for ages, I can only assume they're on some kind of hiatus, hopefully not permanent! Download Segregate, DHF, and A Change Is As Good As A Rest from purevolume.

Harpoon Larsen - Ska-punk stuff, sometimes reminiscent of Big D. I haven't brought a proper copy of their new EP yet, but I'm hoping it's better recording quality than the last. They've only been around a year, but they've been on nearly every ska bill in the area since (a combination of luck and judgement), and also the guitarist seems to be everywhere I go - even when I'm in London or at Reading! They have a purevolume and a myspace. They’re unfortunately breaking up soon.

The Hippos – The Hippos are one of my favorite bands. The Hippos fit the ska sound, sort of, but I wouldn’t call them a ska band. Their first album was ska, then they went all moogy. They made beautiful synthy music and had some great lyrics. You might be able to listen to We’re Here here on Fanscape

The Impossibles – This is skemo, that is, ska and emo. Some of the most creative and imaginative lyrics sung and screamed over great ska and pop-punk riffs. Anthology is one of my favorite albums ever.

Jaya the Cat - I don't really know what it is about them. Their lyrics are really good, but other than that, all the music is pretty simple. It just sounds so good together. They are probably my third favorite band on here. See what I mean by visiting their myspace

The Junglists - Another band that Kith can testify for, they're ska-ish with a violin. They are lovely guys, and are climbing the ladder of scene-ness fast. Either go to their myspace or their purevolume to get a better understanding.

King Apparatus - Chris Murray's old band. I could not find these online so I broke down and bought them without hearing anything by them except a song on an Asian Man VHS tape. Those albums are easily two of my favorite albums. King Apparatus is a top example of the post RBF poppy skapunk sound. At least on the first album. On the second one the influence is more Elvis Costello and does some really interesting things with ska. This song is more of an example of their first album: Michael and Anne

King Prawn - More rap than ska at times, they sound different than most things. But great. They are unfortunatly broken up... too many of the great bands are... but they are still great to listen to. You can sample songs here by clicking on multimedia->sounds

Less than Jake - A starter ska band. A lot of people really like them and claim to love ska. But their ska stuff is really bad. Now that they’ve switched to Pop-punk and their singer has learned how to sing and write good lyrics, they’re actually pretty good. They have a myspace and a purevolume. I will say, The Science of Selling Yourself Short is a pretty good ska song.

Link 80 - Asian Man Records skacore straight out of the famous East Bay. The band is currently on hiatus and has been since 2002, but most fans anxiously await their return. Link 80, although having one name, is basically two bands- Nick Traina Link 80 and Ryan Noble Link 80. Same band, two very different sounds, yet always played that good ol' skacore. Punk vocals and hardcore breakdowns with an occasional ska riff and many catchy horn lines. RIP NICK. Download songs from Asian Man Records or go to their myspace

Mad Caddies - Great band. Trumpeter is probably the best in ska, though the rest of their horns are nothing special. Their musical variety is only matched by Fishbone. Monkeys is a crazy song that captures the trumpeter at his best, but their songs are typically great. They have a few songs on their myspace including Monkeys.

Milk2Sugars - Ska-punk band, you might also recognise the legendary Matty Pee who helped out with TheSka and PunkerMentality (he's pretty smart at internet design things). You can look at their purevolume and find a few songs.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Originators of Skacore. They know how to do ska and put on an amazing show. They are on Hiatus (code for broken up) and were probably the best of the bands that succeeded during the skaboom of the early 90's. They are also probably a starter ska band but don't put them in the same category as LTJ and RBF because they are on a different level. These guys are pretty easy to find music just look in the dollar bin of your local music store for Lets Face It. They do have a myspace now

Mu330 - Chumps on Parade is an amazing album. They do some unique stuff for a ska band. The guys voice is... different. I can't guarantee you will like it because it could just grate on you. The music behind the voice is top notch and they are a blast live. You can find a bunch of songs if you go to their website and click on music.

Mustard Plug - My definition of a Generic Ska band. Their tempo doesn't really change. That doesnt mean that they aren't fun live, because they are, but I don't really listen to them outside of the car ride to one of their shows. If you really like ska you will probably like them, otherwise start somewhere else, like with the Bosstones. As far as I can tell, the only reason they are as big as they are is that they have been around for a long time and never changed their style of playing when a lot of bands went pop punk (see Less than Jake or The Berlin Project). They have a myspace so you can listen to a few songs.

New York Ska Jazz Ensamble - I'm only going to mention these guys because I don't listen to them enough. It should be enough to say that it has members from the Toasters and Skatalites and they rock. I only don't listen to them because at the end of the day they were just a side project and I'll never get to see them live. They have a few song samples on their website.

No Doubt (Pre Trajic Kingdom) - No Doubt, even today, is a really good band. Just no longer a ska band. Losing Eric Stephani to the Simpsons killed the last ska influence in the band. But before that they made amazing Ska/Funk albums. The whole band was very talented. Gwen used to use her voice with emotion and threw it all over the place. Its sad to hear her controls it now. Their first three albums are great.

Operation Ivy - The definitive Skapunk band. The Specials started ska punk but OpIvy defined how we know it today. They spawned Rancid and Common Rider and way too many knock-off bands (or not enough… depending on how you look at it). Incompetent drums, bad guitar, catchy basslines, intelligent social lyrics shouted into a mic are what made Op Ivy so great.

The Pietasters - The Pietasters are great live but I don’t really listen to them. They have a very light punk influence but they’re closer to the Slackers and Chris Murray than any other skapunk band. They’re very talented and have a loyal following. They also have a myspace and a purevolume site.

The Planet Smashers - Another one of those Generic Ska bands. But they are from Canada which is a plus in my book. On one hand, they have Explosive, which is a great song. Then they have the Coolest Guy in the World, which is a terrible song. On their myspace they have 3 pretty good songs

Reel Big Fish – One of those starter ska bands. Their single songs give the impression that they are pretty generic, but that’s not true. They actually release pretty solid albums with pretty good variety. They sometimes play rock, sometimes play ska, and usually try to have depressing fun. For a while they went Jam bandish and that sucked, but they seem to be back. The Fire off of their new album is probably one of the best songs they’ve ever released. You can listen to it on their myspace.

The Rudiments - Another Asian Man Records band, also from the East Bay, that I like to describe as Fishbone meets Operation Ivy. They are pretty crazy in their songs, and have silly/funny lyrics. Most of their ska can be found on the album Circle Our Empire, but you can also hear some great punk on their album Bitch Bitch Bitch. Find songs at Asian Man Records

Skanking Pickle - Fronted by Mike Park, the operator of Asian Man records, which is probably one of the best labels around. Anyway, the band. The band is pretty crazy and off beat. The music is usually pretty good. I don’t like Park’s voice, but a lot of people don’t care. The lyrics are usually pretty silly. They have a myspace with a few songs.

Spitvalves - Band from Florida. I actually bought one of their albums but regretted it. It said on the inside "Thanks for buying our album and not ruining the music industry by pirating" which made me laugh because I never would have bought the album if I hadn't downloaded a bunch of their music beforehand. So, in order to not ruin the music industry by pirating I'm not going to post one of their mp3's. Im sure that the band will thank me. They are a solid skapunk band though. Think the Suicide Machines, only not as good.

The Stray Bullets – One of my favorite bands. They play fast, simple skapunk with breakneck political lyrics. Like Jaya the Cat, there isn’t anything complicated about what they play and yet they are one of my favorite bands. They have a myspace and a purevolume with 2 great songs.

Apathy
06-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Sublime - You know sublime. I don't need to tell you that they were amazing. Now you can see either the bassist or the drummer in the Long Beach Short Bus... but I don't really recomend it.

The Suburban Legends - Choreographed Dance Moves! Anyway, other than that they are a solid band with an amazing live show. If you’re looking for a serious band, look elsewhere. This is a group of very talented musicians making some of the most enjoyable music you’ve ever heard. Listen and understands by going to myspace or purevolume.

Suicide Machines - This is a band that knows how to do live shows and how to play punk and ska. They don’t usually blend them together, but their ska songs are good and the punk songs are great. They’ve been around for a long time and keep getting better. You can see some newer songs on their purevolume or myspace.

The Supertones – Another Christian band. They’re pretty good though. Well, when they’re not praising Jesus they’re pretty good. See, they have worship songs which are long and boring… then they have other songs which are either about reforming the church or not about god at all, and those songs are usually really good. They have a myspace.

The Slackers - Third wave band that sounds like a 1st wave one. They don’t make bad songs. The singer can really sing. They used to have a lot of songs on their website, but now they just have one on their myspace

The Toasters - These guys filled the space between the second and third wave. But very good and important to the ska scene in new york. Moon ska, started by them, hosted most of the big east coast ska bands at one point or another. These guys have toured with pretty much everybody. And they make great music. You can listen to a shitload of their music on their flash website here that I can’t directly link to.

The W’s – More Christian ska. Kind of 3rd wave traditional. These guys are hard to find on the peer to peer channels. I don’t know if I would download them if I didn’t like 3rd wave traditional or Christian ska. If you seen their album for 3 dollars like I did, you should check it out...

Weapons Of Brass Destruction - This band is out of the westcountry, but is now based near me as well. They describe themselves as "Beachball skacore" and they're just ace. They're fun, a little unlucky, and they know how to work hard at making a name for themselves. They'll be getting bigger. You can find songs at their purevolume or myspace

Zero Consent - Another skapunk band, they seem really nice and they gig a lot with bands who come through, and also Harpoon Larsen. I saw them advertise for a trumpet player once on Mx. They have a purevolume and a myspace

Hired Geeks? – A crazy ska band that reminds people of Mu330 only with a better singer. The first song on their myspace isn’t very good but the other two are sick. One of the best new bands I’ve listened to in a long while.

The Scrub – A ska band out of the UK that plays fun music with really cool horn lines and good vocal play. They’ve got a local following which probably shouldn’t be a surprise. They’re confident musicians and know what they’re doing. They have a myspace which I’m sure is a big surprise to nobody

Apathy
06-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Skylar – Skylar is/was a sideproject of the singer of Howard’s Alias. It’s a bit slower than Howard’s Alias, but the voice will be very familiar if you’ve ever heard HA. Where HA moved towards the rock end of things towards the end of their career, Skylar focuses on the ska. The technical ability is still obviously there though… in case you were worried. There’s even a myspace.

$up - $up is a skacore band out of the UK with some very catchy horn lines and a pretty good singer. They’re very hard to find online because of their stupid name but they have a website and you can download some songs off of their label’s website

Aquabats – The Aquabats are a silly silly band. They've recently dropped their horn sections, and their newer stuff is bascially just pop-punk. They’re supposed to have an amazing live show. You can listen to them on their myspace or purevolume. Also, you can find an entire album for free off their website.

Ska P – A Spanish ska band out of… somewhere. They play some of the most entertaining music outside of the Suburban Legends. Sure, I can’t understand most of what they’re saying but the horn lines, the vocal melodies, the backing music is all so good that you can listen to it anyway. Their live album is ridiculous. Listen to some songs on this fan’s myspace

The Rx Bandits – A prog-rock ska band. That doesn’t really make sense until you listen to them. Progress is considered a must own album up there with Big D’s Good Luck and Catch 22’s Keasby Nights. I think I like The Resignation better, but the do move a little further away from Skapunk on that album. They are a very socially conscious band and that’s reflected in the lyrics, which are about media images, drugs, corporations and education inequality. Their singer may be one of the most talented singers in the skapunk genre. They have a bunch of songs on their purevolume and their myspace

Howards Alias – Howard’s Alias is a UK band that is very talented. They play a prog-rock ska along the lines of newer Rx Bandits. The singer’s voice is very unique and I love it, but my roommate doesn’t. Their first two albums are two thoroughly entertaining albums and The Chameleon Script is one of the best debut albums outside of Catch 22.

Sonic Boom Six – A ska-hop band from the UK. I love this band. The lyrics are unabashedly political and at least even with Streetlight Manifesto’s, if not faster. The singers are a girl and a guy and their interplay makes for a completely interesting listening experience. Sounds to Consume is a great album all the way through (though the dub tracks on the Champion Edition aren’t their best work). Listen to some songs on their myspace or purevolume

A Billion Ernies – A hardcore ska band. I guess. Their new album is called Stop Calling Us Ska… so maybe they don’t want to ska. Their singer can’t scream but does anyway. When he isn’t screaming he sounds pretty damn good. The musicians are pretty talented. They have a myspace and a bunch of songs on their purevolume.

A Girl Named Craig – A Girl Named Craig are a very popular band and I don’t quite know why. They sound a bit like early Reel Big Fish but not quite as good. Too much rock, not enough ska. You can listen to some songs on purevolume

Adequate Seven – Not quite a ska band, but they would probably appeal to most ska fans. Big on the Funk big on the Punk and big on the Horns. They are overtly political and know how to make really catchy music. They have a myspace and a purevolume

Bonkaponxz – A German band. Don’t worry though, they sing in English. They’re pretty good. They aren’t the Ska-P of Germany, but they’re more than competent. They have quick, interesting horn lines, a great vocalist, and a heavier sound than most foreign skapunk bands. You can download a few songs off of their website

The Menzingers – A Ska band that is probably kind of local to me. It’s ex members of Bob and the Sagets and some other band. What’s surprising is how good they are. They call themselves indie/reggae/punk on myspace and that’s pretty accurate.

The Cat Empire – An Australian Latin/Hiphop/Reggae band. If that isn’t enough to interest you, I don’t know what would be. They manage to pull it off to. There’s some ska and some jazz in there too. And some Cake influence on the singer. See for yourself on myspace

Catch-It Kebabs – A UK skapunk band with a great horn section and quick lyrics. From their label’s website, “The Catch-It Kebabs’ sound ranges from blazing ska/punk & peppy 2 tone to surging 3rd wave ska & sassy swingcore.” They have a myspace where you can hear that first hand.

Daly's Gone Wrong – A skacore band that sometimes strays into emo. They are a bit too hardcore for me, but they play what they want and they are good at what they do. Their new stuff strays a bit too close to emo and doesn’t see to have much to do with ska anymore. But The Fourth Wave is a pretty good album that has a decent Big D influence. You can listen to some of their songs on their myspace or their purevolume

Dogged Skankers – This band is a French band that I have 6 songs of and love them to death. They make extremely skankable music with a good touch of rock, catchy horn lines and a great singer. You can download one song off of whatever this is. I can’t stop myself from whistling along while they play.

Dregtones – Before there was At the Drive in, there was the Dregtones. They’re an ok ska band though the EP I have is pretty poorly recorded. They had a lot of potential, though I’m guessing that if they had stuck to ska they wouldn’t have made it anywhere.

Duff Muffin – A UK skapunk band with quick licks and quick lyrics. The singer reminds me of Big D and the Kids Table though the rest of the music isn’t that complicated. Simple and solid and probably a lot of fun to see. They have a good ability to switch between quick and slow ska riffs. Listen at their myspace

Pama International – Pama International is a very chill UK ska band. They play a blend of ska, dub and reggae and know what they’re doing. The dub influence is a bit too heavy for me, but they’ll probably appeal to you if you like a bit of dub. You can listen to two full songs and two samples on their myspace.

Rebelation – Another UK ska/dub/reggae band. They are very rooted in first wave ska. If the Skatalites are your thing, this band will probably appeal to you. You can listen to them at their myspace

Monkey Jacket – From their website “Monkey Jacket is a Pop-Punk Screamo band from Denver, Colorado. Their hardcore influences dominate the local scene with pure pizzaz, along with pizzas.” I’ve only actually listened to the stuff on their myspace, and those are very good. They also have a lot of support from 21deadmonkeys which is where I heard of them in the first place. They also have a purevolume

Elvis Jackson – From their website “Elvis Jackson are finest ska punk hard core reggae metal band with great live show and positive attitude.” And that’s actually pretty true. Maybe not the finest, but they sound great on album and probably do a pretty good job live. I think they’re from Slovenia but they sing in English. They’re probably my favorite new band (at least, new to me – they formed in ‘97) and are worth checking out. You can download some songs off of their Website. The first album is just minute long samples, but some of the other albums have full songs for download.

Manic Sewing Circle – A young skapunk band with vocals reminiscent of Big D and the Kids Table. They have a purevolume and a
myspace but purevolume is the only one that has a full song with lyrics. That song is pretty good though.

Flavio y la Mandinga – Flavio. as you might be able to tell, are a Spanish language band that give Ska-P a run for their money as the best Spanish language band. In fact, they give most bands a run for their money. They combine ska and latin music in a way that makes it so you can’t help but get up and move. Go to their website and you can listen to a lot of songs in their flash player. It’s not the easiest way to listen to music, but it’s worth it.

Fuzigish – A South African political ska punk band. They’re a bit heavier on the punk than on the ska, but they do both pretty well. The lyrics are quick and consistent and the basslines are simple but effective. There is a definite sublime influence. Have a listen at their purevolume

Go Jimmy Go – Go Jimmy Go are a traditional ska band with some Hawaiian influence. If you like the Toasters or the Slackers, you’ll like these guys. They have a myspace where you can become their e-friends!

High School Football Heroes – A ska-rock band with energetic vocals and a good backing band. They feel a bit like the Arrogant Sons of Bitches. At times they stray into the punk with horns area, but they’re still worth a listen. They have a purevolume and the told me they want to be friends with you on myspace

Hot Stove Jimmy – From AMG “Hot Stove Jimmy are a power ska band in every sense. They combine fast ska riffs with a punk feeling, rough vocals, a pounding rhythm section, and a very tight and bright horn section.” To add to that, this band is from the same area as the Blue Meanies are obviously influenced by them. Unfortunately they broke up a while ago and I can’t find anything for you to sample for free.

Hub City Stompers – Hub City Stompers are made up of ex-members of Inspecter 7 and Tri State Conspiracy and a few other bands. Their experience shows in their masterful combination of ska, punk and reggae. Listen to a few songs on their myspace.

Apathy
06-15-2006, 09:14 AM
The Super Pineapples – The Super Pineapples are a band out of California with a great sound. They’ve been around since 98ish and it shows. Strong horns, catchy riffs and a talented singer ad up to one band that will not get out of your head. Listen at their myspace or purevolume.

King Django – King Django is a force in the Ska world. He may be the single most influential person aside from the lead singer of the Toasters in the American ska scene. He has produced countless albums, collaborated with too many bands to count, he owns Stubborn Records and has a quite a few releases under his belt. He play’s nearly any kind of ska you’ve heard of and it all sounds pretty good damn good. He has a few of his songs on his myspace. Just listen to Reason and try not to move.

Offbeat in Suburbia – Offbeat in Suburbia are a Jersey Ska band and you know what that means. If you don’t, it basically means that they know what they’re doing. Quick gang vocals, the slightest hint of hardcore thourghouly entertaining horn lines and guitar riffs and the ability to capture an energetic sound make this reletivly new band worth checking out either by purevolume or by myspace.

Pain – Pain is a poppy ska band with amusing lyrics and an amazing horn section. They play some pop punk and some funk and have a sound that I can only describe as fun. One of their songs is midgets with Guns. They're in your mouth and they shoot your teeth causing so much pain and the only way to kill them is with a girls tounge. They have an endorsed myspace and some other myspace.

Satori – Satori is a ska band on Asian Man Records. That’s it’s first plus. It’s made up of members of the RxBandits and features guest spots by Chris Murray and the Exit. It would take a lot to screw that up. A chill blend of soul, ska and reggae that will appeal to you if you like any one of the three. You can listen at their myspace or they stream songs on their website

Solabeat Alliance – Previously known as Spankboy, this band brings together Calypso Ska and Punk Rock. And Energy. Lots of Energy. You can feel it on all throughout the album from the slower Calypso tracks to the harsh punk breaks. You can download two tracks, Heroes and Set it Off, from Moon Ska Europe

ignition991
06-15-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm so sorry.

I don't listen to alot of ska. If you're sorry i listen to Sublime do you have any suggestions?

Apathy
06-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Suggestions?

Well, there are 100+ bands listed about one post up.
However, if you like sublime, I'd try the bassists' and drummers new band. They aren't as good as Sublime. I think they're called Long Beach Dub Allstars.

leibstandarte109
06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Have you heard Streetlight Manifesto? That is high-energy ska.

No I haven't. I'll check it out though. Thanks.

DeAtHsTaR
06-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Props, Apathy!

jacknife737
06-15-2006, 02:04 PM

I would certainly recommend anything by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones

standout records

Question the Answers

Lets Face It

Jacknife To a Swan

Any of those albums is a good start, this band is really easy to get into, and they are probably one of the best third wave bands.

jacknife737
06-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Oh, and really nice list Apathy.

opivy21
06-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah, nice list. You posted some ones that I forgot about. I agree that a lot of people would probably hate Choking Victim, if not for their music, then for their recording quality, but I rather enjoy it. If you can look past the poor sound quality, they have some really catchy stuff and their lyrics have a lot more importance than most ska these days.

Skankin' Pickle is also good. They're another of the few 3rd wave bands I like. If you don't like Park's voice, then listen to the Green Album sometime, because everyone in the band sings at least one song. There's some covers on it and some really catchy originals.

Catch 22 - I think people shouldn't be afraid to explore their stuff after Keasby Nights, but that's basically their best work in my opinion.

Apathy
06-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks, but don't give me all the credit. I just found it. I did rewrite a few I disagreed with though.

I'd have to say that off that list some of the better lesser known bands on that List are Jaya the Cat, and Manic Sewing Circle. Manic Sewing Circle stuff is hard to find unless you buy an album, but there's two songs on their myspace. I think the singer sounds a lot like Big D in some songs.

Jaya the Cat is different... they kinda of switch back and forth from a heavier sound to happy ska. The singer sounds more like a punk or hard rock singer. The songs are similar to Rancid's ska songs... Like Time Bomb. There's two great songs on their myspace.

SkunkIt
06-15-2006, 06:54 PM
I think one band that's really catchy, is the Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. They're fun to listen to.

I recommend you all download some songs by them if you haven't heard them.

original_prankster
06-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks, but don't give me all the credit. I just found it. I did rewrite a few I disagreed with though.

I'd have to say that off that list some of the better lesser known bands on that List are Jaya the Cat, and Manic Sewing Circle. Manic Sewing Circle stuff is hard to find unless you buy an album, but there's two songs on their myspace. I think the singer sounds a lot like Big D in some songs.

Jaya the Cat is different... they kinda of switch back and forth from a heavier sound to happy ska. The singer sounds more like a punk or hard rock singer. The songs are similar to Rancid's ska songs... Like Time Bomb. There's two great songs on their myspace.
I have Manic Sewing Circle on my MySpace friends list thingie. They've been there for a while. I like them.

Apathy
06-16-2006, 03:39 PM
I have Manic Sewing Circle on my MySpace friends list thingie. They've been there for a while. I like them.

I'm seeing them live tomorrow at warped. If they have their cd there, I think i'm going to pick it up, because There's only like two songs on that myspace.

little-miller
06-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Anyone else Like Ska?

I'm recently loving everything in the genre.

Operation Ivy, Big D and The Kids Table, Suicide Machines, Sublime, Old Goldfinger, Old No Doubt, Catch 22... They all kick ass.

good bands, you need to get into the Underground Scene like bands like The Aquabats and bands like them, they are sooo awsome its unbelivable. They are soo funny.

coke_a_holic
06-16-2006, 05:43 PM
lol @ Aquabats being underground

noodlesfan
06-16-2006, 05:51 PM
The Aquabats are the last great american band!

coke_a_holic
06-16-2006, 06:13 PM
I don't listen to alot of ska. If you're sorry i listen to Sublime do you have any suggestions?
I'm not sorry you listen to Sublime, just that you aren't exposed to enough ska to have a better favorite for that genre.

SkunkIt
06-16-2006, 07:49 PM
good bands, you need to get into the Underground Scene like bands like The Aquabats and bands like them, they are sooo awsome its unbelivable. They are soo funny.
Sigged. roflmfao

opivy21
06-16-2006, 08:21 PM
The Aquabats are the last great american band!
I might have to disagree with this statement, provided that you are serious.

noodlesfan
06-16-2006, 08:25 PM
I might have to disagree with this statement, provided that you are serious.
you'd get the joke if you were a fan.

Apathy
06-17-2006, 06:24 AM

You're new so I'll let it slide. That post is a year old. I do like aquabats. They are quite good. My favorite song is probably The Invisible Man.

They are most definately not ska. They probably *were* one of the most popular ska bands along with Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, and others.

They really aren't a ska band anymore, but they still can write a catchy tune.

rockdude
06-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes! catch 22 is awesome!

Check this out!
http://victoryrecords.com/banners/catch22/C22_PR_468x60.gif

Never Gonna Find Me
06-23-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm going through a Mad Caddies stage now.

Also check out Fandangle - www.myspace.com/fandangle

I've seen them live twice and they are damn good.

Apathy
09-24-2006, 04:27 PM
bumpity bumpity because I need some ska action.

Anyway, here's my news report from the genre:

High School Football Heroes Disbanded!
So sad. It seems that they couldn't draw any attention from labels because they were too emo for the rude boys and ska labels but too Ska for the scensters and MTV crowd. Honestly, I think they're quite good. They blend emo and ska quite well, without becoming overly annoying. Listen to 'We Need A Miracle','Long Look at a short lived dream', and 'Surfing Channels and Killing Time'.
http://www.myspace.com/hsfh

Big D and the Kids Table continues to kick ass
Yes, it's true. Boston band has about 40 songs written for their upcoming album which should start recording soon. They're also putting out a split with ska-punk band Brain Failure. They picked the seven heaviest songs out of the 40 they wrote, it will be out in January. (Brain Failure aren't bad themselves, They're from China, which I was a bit surprised about, but check out their myspace.) Big D has also compiled lots and lots of concert footage,videos, and little bitch videos for their new DVD. It is supposedly done, but still the release is unspecified.

Streetlight Manifesto continues to delay new album
Those bitches that we love so very much. Last time I saw Thomas he said it would be out in a few months. That was a few months ago.

coke_a_holic
09-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Big D's cd is out... next year, I think. The DVD should be this year, though, since they said they were trying to get it out so it could be 'the best dvd of 2006.' That was many months ago, though, they may have given up on that idea.

Streetlight Manifesto is the most unreliable band ever. I think the cd's supposed to be out in January/February/March. If ever.

Also: Big D is going on tour soon with the Pietasters and the Toasters. Soon as in, like, next month. I'm excited, though I won't be able to go since they hit up the 9:30 club on Halloween Night (a tuesday) and I'm already flat broke from buying Primus tickets.

Apathy
09-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Wows, you live in Boston?

You must never be short on Big D.

noodlesfan
09-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Highschool Football Heroes wouldn't leave me alone at Warped. They were like "dude, buy our cd, if you buy two, we'll sell them cheaper" and I kept telling him "I don't need to god damn cd's."

coke_a_holic
09-24-2006, 08:01 PM
No, I live in Washington, DC (technically, Maryland, but everywhere within 150 miles of DC is considered DC)... they just happen to be playing here Halloween night for some reason. I was suprised, too, I expected them to be playing their Halloween show then, but it's apparently on the 27th and 28th instead.

Apathy
09-24-2006, 08:57 PM
"Our tenth annual Halloween show is a little over a month away. This year we’ll be playing two nights at Axis in Boston instead of one show at Avalon."

Eh?

Says its in Boston.

Looking at the tour dates now, I do see a date for DC on the 31st, but I think the annual Halloween show is usually in boston.
Either way, Have Fun! I haven't been able to see Big D in a long time.

coke_a_holic
09-24-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm not going, though, as I mentioned, I'm all out of money because of Primus. I saw them recently, in January with LTJ. It had a great setlist (they played 51 Gardner! I was all psyched), but Dave kept messing up lyrics and getting lost in songs and his mic kept cutting out. Oh well, it was better than the time before when I saw them and they got there late, so they didn't have a setlist or lights set up. That was a drag; they had to take requests all night and people only asked for the punkest of their songs.

insaneChucky
09-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Less than jake must be the best band in that genre - every song is fucking great.

Yeah, less than jake phat. :D

RickyCrack
09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Less Than Jake can lick my proverbial nutsack.

Big D has been going way down hill lately. I can't take them seriously when they sing LAX and they're all scened out.

ninthlayer
09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Heeeeeeeepppppppppppppppp
Ska!

Apathy
09-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Big D has been going way down hill lately. I can't take them seriously when they sing LAX and they're all scened out.

:(

While it's true that Shot By Lammi and Good Luck are far better than their more recent, I still love it all.

I didn't think LAX was a serious song... so I don't think you should take them seriously with it. At least, It doesn't SEEM like a serious song.

Anywho - anyone listen to Hepcat like to give me a good starting album?

RickyCrack
09-25-2006, 05:14 PM
They're totally serious about LAX.

1. They sell tshirts about it
2. they never play in L.A.
3. They play it at every show they go to.

Apathy
09-25-2006, 08:36 PM
They're totally serious about LAX.

3. They play it at every show they go to.

They didn't play it when I saw them June 05.

Even so, the album has 20 tracks. Skip Buttons = Good. In all honesty, I think the song is alright, I'd probably like it more if it the swearing wasn't so redundant and gimmicky.

Although the song does sound somewhat like the "OMG uz are posers, tru punx!" kind of thing, which is always bad.

So.... eh. I will admit that it is not their brightest moment, but I am somewhat of a Big D fanboy, so I don't really care.

DeAtHsTaR
09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
I just saw a crack rock steady band called Krush Klamath tonight. HOLY SHIT.

Apathy
09-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Here's a linky so his post isn't useless.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=27676159

DeAtHsTaR
09-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Here's a linky so his post isn't useless.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=27676159
Haha, it's still useless since most of the songs on there don't resemble ska at all... but they had at least 9 songs last night I would describe as crackrocksteady or skacore. However, anyone who clicks on that link, listen to Hey Zeus! It kicks ass but I wish they put up Fuck the Police or I Can't Skate up there. I'll try to upload those songs.

Apathy
09-26-2006, 06:42 PM
they're pretty good, although you were correct in thinking they don't really fit with the thread well.

Regarding the Big D talk, they have a sampler of the new split that they're doing on their myspace. It doesn't sound great, but samplers usually don't.

coke_a_holic
09-26-2006, 07:05 PM
...Yeah, I'm listening to it now and it seems pretty lame. "I don't wanna talk to no screamo kid about how much he digs Sublime!"

..........All the songs sound the same........ =(

Then more "I love Boston" shit. Great, we get it. Do I hear Flashlight pt 2? I like that.

Apathy
09-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Yeah, the first half of the sampler sounds pretty lame, and the second half seems alright.

I dunno, I have a feeling that all of their albums would have sounded bad in a sampler, they're too incomplete and choppy to get a feel for the songs.

Plus they had 40 written, so I'm guessing there will be at least a few that are good. Still it makes me sad because I don't actually have any other Big D songs I don't like. :(

RickyCrack
09-27-2006, 12:54 PM
My girlfriend's on drugs? Have yourself a wicked hardcore x-mas?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-27-2006, 02:15 PM
I just saw a crack rock steady band called Krush Klamath tonight. HOLY SHIT.

Not a bad band. Is that a local band? Because I could have sworn you live in a town called Klamath Falls.

DeAtHsTaR
09-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Not a bad band. Is that a local band? Because I could have sworn you live in a town called Klamath Falls.
Well they're originally from Klamath Falls, (my town) but they've lived in Portland for a year now. It's cool because they represent K-Town, and their lyrics have several references that only a K-Falls local would understand.

coke_a_holic
09-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Ha! I live in Kensington, MD and we call it K-Town, as well.

DeAtHsTaR
09-27-2006, 04:28 PM

And I used to live in Kingman, Arizona, and we called it K-Town.

Apathy
09-27-2006, 08:51 PM
My girlfriend's on drugs? Have yourself a wicked hardcore x-mas?

I like My girlfriend's on drugs, sure it's just pop-punk with horns basically, but It's silly and I love it.

I've never actually heard the hardcore x-mas song. I don't know what album it's on. I've got them all minus Salem Girls which they dont' make anymore, and Porch Life which is just a rap album. And I'm assuming its on neither of those.

coke_a_holic
09-27-2006, 08:56 PM
It's a really fucking bad song. Don't even try to find it, because listening to it will only make your life miserable.

offspringing
09-28-2006, 11:17 AM
have you heard tims new song hold on amazing im not really into ska that much but i love this song if you go on rancis mysapce page

RickyCrack
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Rancid is to ska like O'douls is to beer.

coke_a_holic
09-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Took the words out of my mouth, except I was gonna say:

"Rancid : ska :: your punctuation : correct."

nameless
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
sure thing, any of the following will do you fine; Howards Alias, No Comply, Capdown, Sonic Boom Six, Tauntra, Ye Wiles, The Scrub, Sadies Doll, Duff Muffin, King Prawn, The Filaments

that should be more than enough, take your pick as all those bands really know how to blend genres together and are talented to boot - they've all got websites or myspace pages if you have trouble downloading any from p2p (although I recommend soulseek personally)

king prawn were awsome, it was a shame they split up!

offspringing
09-28-2006, 06:12 PM
i wasnt talking about rancid i was talking about tim he did a solo album

RickyCrack
09-28-2006, 07:47 PM
That hurts your previous statement even more.

Jebus
09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
So I really liked streetlight manifesto. Now someone reccomend me simlar bands.

coke_a_holic
09-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Catch 22 (only stuff from Keasbey Nights), check out BOTAR (I uploaded their cd into the SM thread), and... uh, Reel Big Fish, I guess. Big D and the Kids Table, possibly. Capdown is alright, The Specials are amazing, and the Pietasters are pretty good. This is basically just a list of ska bands that I enjoy and you might also enjoy... possibly. It's really hard to predict how people will feel about different ska bands when they only like one.

Not many ska bands sound like Streetlight (except for Keasbey-era Catch and BOTAR because they have the same singer/songwriter). =\

opivy21
09-28-2006, 09:07 PM
The Specials are great. Also check out Madness. You've most likely heard Our House by them before.

DeAtHsTaR
09-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Check out Upstanding Youth, Buck O Nine, and The Planet Smashers.

RickyCrack
09-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Too Short Notice, One Cool Guy, Slow Gherkin, Taj Mahol Trio, The Toasters, Neville Staples, Voodoo Glowskulls, Slapstick, Arrogant Sons of Bitches, Mu330, Link 80, etc etc.

Apathy
09-29-2006, 05:28 AM
Streetlight sound pretty unique.

Botar and Catch 22 - Keasby Nights sound identical obviously, but after that.
I think you're closest bets out of the ones mentioned are probably One Cool Guy, and Mu330

RickyCrack
09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Absolutely <3 OCG.

Apathy
09-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Absolutely <3 OCG.

I haven't heard much- maybe four songs, but everything was fantastic.

Does anyone have anything by the band Gimp? I'm pretty sure they're not even a ska band, but it's Kalnoky's old band so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Apathy
10-08-2006, 12:47 PM
bump up the ska

Here's a new Big D song to continue my whoring of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAYlvSKzEj4

And here's a few other bands you may not have heard of -

Jaya the Cat - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=6247737
They sound like Rancid's ska songs for the most part.

Manic Sewing Circle - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=4126397
The song Silly Putty is addicting. Ignore the annoying Doowap intro.

Also, if anyone has the song 'Ooh No, Not Me Arteries' by Lightyear, I need it. They took it off their myspace and Now I can't find it because it's not on an album.

darea
10-19-2006, 06:56 AM
other uk ska bands : the specials and madness they are quite old bands but they are quite good and really funny

RickyCrack
10-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Old news .

coke_a_holic
10-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish are touring with the Suburban Legends and Westbound Train this/next month! Yey!

The dates are up on www.streetlightmanifesto.com.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
10-19-2006, 04:38 PM
11/16 off/Omaha, NE
11/17 Urbana, IL Canapoy Club
:(
11/18 Struthers, OH The Cellar
11/19 New Haven, CT Toads Place

Well, they just totally blew right by Detroit. My only other option was Ohio, but I guess that's at the far east of the state. Damn you, Streetlight Manifesto.

Edit: Woah, I just started reading this one webcomic, and it almost completely relates to my situation (except it's autumn and there's no Toledo stop). It sounds like the cartoonist is from Detroit.

http://21deadmonkeys.com/pictures/goingdown.jpg

Revolver-2005?
10-19-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm seeing Streetlight on November 25th, my birthday bitch!

DeAtHsTaR
10-19-2006, 06:10 PM
I wish I could get a ride to Portland... :(

In other news, I'm starting a ska-punk band called The Midnight Pranksters. (Name is retarded I know, not my idea)

darthdudeguy4
10-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish are touring with the Suburban Legends and Westbound Train this/next month! Yey!

I cant wait to see them on Nov 1st :D

jacknife737
10-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey does anyone have a live version of the Specials Too Much Too Young that they could upload?

Apathy
10-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Sadly I do not.

I caught the Streetlight/RBF/Mxpx tour a while back, only stayed to see streetlight though. They're coming to Madison, I'll probably go again.

barangatang
10-20-2006, 07:37 PM

The bay area has a k-town too. Kensington. Don't ever go there, everybody in kensington is horrible.

DeAtHsTaR
11-12-2006, 11:29 AM
ANyone like Buck O Nine??? I just downloaded 28 teeth, this band is great.

Original prankstA
11-12-2006, 12:01 PM
ska's my favorite, Im really into Big D right now, Op Ivy's pretty sweet, Mustard Plug, LTJ, Save Ferris are great, LOVE Catch 22 and the suicide machines, the only band im not so sure about is Reel Big Fish, i try to like them but they just don't catch my interest

Original prankstA
11-12-2006, 12:02 PM
oh yeah there are several local ska bands around town, ill post some links

not really local, but not very big
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=3425239

Monkey Jacket
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=7309239

Forty Lashes
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=24301137

Mr. Sexy and the Super Ska Machine
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=35818965

Checkerboard Jive
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=36677498

Stuck Lucky
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=5469110

Dr Appetite
11-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Ska is great.

Apathy
11-13-2006, 03:29 PM
not really local, but not very big
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=3425239

I really love this band, and they're all very nice. One of the members posts a lot on the Big D message board.

Anyone like Buck O Nine??? I just downloaded 28 teeth, this band is great.
Yes, but unfortunately that is also the only song I can find. Unless you have more, linky linky?

Oh- and I recommend Mu330 to all of you. (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=11056464)
Deeper is my favorite on that link, closely followed by Raw Fish.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Buck'O'Nine are awesome.

"Record Store", "My Town", "Calling In Sick", good shit. Good shit.

Apathy
11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Actually, for recommendations, read my post in the where do i start thread (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=920259&postcount=253)

Yeah. They all have linkies and stuff, but they're mostly bigger bands.

And I know this is a longshot, but if anyone lives in wisconsin, you must come over and be in my crappy ska band. :(

RickyCrack
11-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Oh- and I recommend Mu330 to all of you. (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=11056464)

La la la laaaaaaaaaaa, lalalalalala la la lalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Revolver-2005?
11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18128043

DeAtHsTaR
11-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Actually, for recommendations, read my post in the where do i start thread (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=920259&postcount=253)

Yeah. They all have linkies and stuff, but they're mostly bigger bands.

And I know this is a longshot, but if anyone lives in wisconsin, you must come over and be in my crappy ska band. :(

I have the whole album 28 Teeth, SkApathy. I might get around to putting it in a .rar file and uploading it.

Apathy
11-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Yeah, that'd be cool if you could. If you can't, no biggie though.

La la la laaaaaaaaaaa, lalalalalala la la lalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I can't tell if you approve, disapprove, or are making some joke I don't get.

RickyCrack
11-14-2006, 10:37 AM
I can't tell if you approve, disapprove, or are making some joke I don't get.

It's like Mu330's super hit single #1.

Little_Miss_1565
11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
I just wanted to drop by to say PICKITUP PICKITUP PICKITUP PICKITUPPICKITUPPICKITUP.

That is all.

RickyCrack
11-14-2006, 10:57 AM
More hep, less pickitup

Apathy
11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
bra, stick em.
hep hep, stick em.

It's like Mu330's super hit single #1.

heh, well I fail. I guess that shows that I just recently got into them.

opivy21
11-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Anybody else like Fishbone?

Apathy
11-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm not really a big fan, but they're alright I suppose. They're really diverse though. Songs go back and forth from sound like The Slackers to sounding like...Skindred.

linky linky (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=9262986)

opivy21
11-15-2006, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't really compare them to Skindred. Skindred sort of sucks. Anyways, Skankin' To The Beat is a fantastic song.

http://ia310135.us.archive.org/3/items/fishbone1985-12-27.flac16/fishbone1985-12-27d1t02_64kb.mp3

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3j3hCCoI34Q

Apathy
11-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Well of course Skindred sucks.

But don't tell me you can't hear it in some songs.
Especially...'Let Dem Hos Fight'. Which is a weird enough title.

opivy21
11-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Well if it's anything, it's that Skindred sounds like Fishbone, not the other way around.

Glad we both think Skindred sucks, though. I guess it's basically a fact.

Original prankstA
11-15-2006, 07:45 PM
There was just a ska song on an ice age commercial, and im sure some of you may have noticed, anybody know what im talkin about?

F@ BANKZ
11-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Ska is more my brother's thing than mine, i do however really like Madness, which i guess are a Ska band, kinda

Apathy
11-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Madness is a ska band. There is no kinda.

There was just a ska song on an ice age commercial, and im sure some of you may have noticed, anybody know what im talkin about?

I haven't seen it, although I'm curious to what it was. Does anyone know?
I really hate Ice Age though.

Bazza
11-16-2006, 05:23 PM
OK, I know they're a bit mainstream now, but I went to see Less Than Jake the other night. It was intense, and the bonus was that dropkick murphys were supporting :D

Apathy
11-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I don't like them much anymore, but their live show is still amazingly fun.

At least it was last time I saw them. Did they have the Toilet Paper guns?

Bazza
11-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Nah, but had the little paper things, not too sure what they're called, but there was shit loads of them. I think I probably enjoyed the Dropkicks more, one hell of a mosh. And even better The Living End were a support act as well, best 20 quid I've spent in a while.

ninthlayer
11-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Nah, but had the little paper things, not too sure what they're called, but there was shit loads of them.
Confetti?

I think I probably enjoyed the Dropkicks more, one hell of a mosh.
kekz, only faggots mosh/listen to Dropkick Murphies

And even better The Living End were a support act as well, best 20 quid I've spent in a while.
The Living End also blow.

Bazza
11-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Have you seen any of them live?
There's a lot of music which I think isn't that great, until I see the band live.

And yeah it is confetti, had a bit of a brain fade.

ninthlayer
11-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah, at Warped Tizzour.

Regardless, moshing is always gay.

DeAtHsTaR
11-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah, at Warped Tizzour.

Regardless, moshing is always gay.
Either you've never moshed or you're a fucking pussy. Moshing only gets gay when people start throwing punches.

coke_a_holic
11-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Either you've never moshed or you're a fucking pussy. Moshing only gets gay when people start throwing punches.

It gets gay as soon as it becomes a bunch of 30 year olds running into little kids to "let off steam." It's all fun and games until the huge guys go like "hey, I'm in the mood to be a complete dick!" Faggoted.

SkunkIt
11-17-2006, 04:04 AM

I highly doubt Ninth is a pussy. Highly, highly doubt It.

On another note, Less Than Jake didn't have much Ska to begin with unless you count them as a barely "third wave" band and are not even Ska anymore. If anyone mentions their last album and calls It Ska, I will gaze at their stupidity.

On an unrelated note, I need to stop drinking caffiene after midnight.

DeAtHsTaR
11-17-2006, 07:48 AM
I highly doubt Ninth is a pussy. Highly, highly doubt It.

Don't judge someone upon their internet personality.

RickyCrack
11-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Don't judge someone upon their internet personality.

Then I'll judge him for you. In accordance to pussiness, you're a blubbering pile of yeast infection compared to Ninth.

Apathy
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
People who mosh at ska shows need to be shit on, end of.

On another note, Less Than Jake didn't have much Ska to begin with unless you count them as a barely "third wave" band and are not even Ska anymore. If anyone mentions their last album and calls It Ska, I will gaze at their stupidity.
Yeah, they were basically just pop-punk with horns. It wasn't all terrible though, I liked some of losing streak and hello rockview.

ninthlayer
11-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Because strutting around the room and spin kicking like a faggot is just so cool. And then, you know, flinging yourself/other people into the crowd that doesn't want anything to do with your faggotry is just fucking awesome too. Seriously Dain, I didn't think it was possible to respect you any less but gg buddy, you win at being a faggot.

kekz windmillz, punchin' midgets, pick up da change!

RickyCrack
11-17-2006, 05:23 PM
/dance !

ninthlayer
11-17-2006, 05:24 PM
/dance
/moan
/shake
/sleep

RickyCrack
11-17-2006, 05:25 PM
gloin bur bur burburburburburbur

Llamas
11-17-2006, 05:31 PM

Moshing can be okay sometimes. I find it fun if it's at a small show when you're with a bunch of your friends. It's not fun when: people bring dangerous items into the mosh like a huge wooden pole, you end up with someone else's blood on you, someone falls down and people trample them, etc. I've moshed plenty of times, and only 2 times did I find it fun.

It gets gay as soon as it becomes a bunch of 30 year olds running into little kids to "let off steam." It's all fun and games until the huge guys go like "hey, I'm in the mood to be a complete dick!" Faggoted.

Oh, yes, I forgot about the old/big guys who sweat like mad and smell like shit who can't let go of the fact that they're old and hanging out alone at a show with a bunch of teens.

I've kind of wondered, where does kek come from? I dun get it. :(

DeAtHsTaR
11-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Because strutting around the room and spin kicking like a faggot is just so cool. And then, you know, flinging yourself/other people into the crowd that doesn't want anything to do with your faggotry is just fucking awesome too. Seriously Dain, I didn't think it was possible to respect you any less but gg buddy, you win at being a faggot.

THAT'S NOT MOSHING, YOU FUCKING IDIOT. That's hardcore dancing, or "hXc" dancing, which is what emo fags do. Moshing is characterized by slamming into each other and the like.

THIS is what you're talking about.

http://howto.thetunafish.com/wp-content/pics/sarah/harcore/harcoredancing.JPG

Actual moshing:

http://www.dfngallery.com/images/witz_mosh_pit_200.gif

http://starbulletin.com/specials/poifest/pitb.gif

ninthlayer
11-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Actually, I covered both forms of moshing. So you moshjock like a faggot metalhead, congratulations. I bet your dick is liek soooo huuuuge.

Oh, and nice caps (asshole).

/edit
Your hardcore dancing photo doesn't look anything like what I was talking about, gg.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 05:45 PM
haha... posting pictures of moshing doesn't work... all three pictures look like a bunch of people shoving eachother and acting like morons...

DeAtHsTaR
11-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Actually, I covered both forms of moshing. So you moshjock like a faggot metalhead, congratulations. I bet your dick is liek soooo huuuuge.

Oh, and nice caps (asshole).

/edit
Your hardcore dancing photo doesn't look anything like what I was talking about, gg.
Well, pics don't do the trick. And no, I mosh to punk rock, which is way faster, yet no one ever gets hurt. And don't refer to hXc dancing as moshing, it's not, it's pure faggotry. I don't mosh like a metalhead, I tend to jump over people and try to crowd surf though.

And you're right, this pic is much closer to hXc dancing.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/ELECTRICSTARRR/HXC%20DANCING%20woot/HXCDANCING002.jpg

Edit: No punches or kicks are ever thrown in a real pit. Only pussies do that shit.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Nobody ever gets hurt? Are you moshing with like 5 other people, or are you moshing at nsync concerts? Because otherwise that's just a downright lie. It's impossible to have hundreds of people shoving into eachother without someone's face colliding with someone's elbow, or something falling down, or someone getting kicked damn hard, or someone's head colliding with another person's head, etc. Seriously, don't even try to lie like that.

Apathy
11-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Good Ska bands don't have mosh pits anyway. Don't ruin my topic, only I get to do that.

plzkthxbai.

Edit: actually I don't care. At least this keeps it alive, right?

The only time I've ever enjoyed any type of moshing was circle pits. Those are pretty fun. Everything else seems a little stupid to me, I can't focus on the music if I'm trying to push some huge sweaty guy off of me. And the music is why I went in the first place.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Is a circle pit when a whole ton of people start running around the entire crowd in a huge circle and shoving everyone out of their way? or is it when like 30 people stand in a small circle and a few people are in the middle of the circle being shoved around the circle?

ninthlayer
11-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Well, pics don't do the trick. And no, I mosh to punk rock, which is way faster, yet no one ever gets hurt. And don't refer to hXc dancing as moshing, it's not, it's pure faggotry. I don't mosh like a metalhead, I tend to jump over people and try to crowd surf though.
Punk moshing and metal moshing are the same, fact. The moshjocks at Leftover Crack were exactly the same as the ones at all of the metal concerts I've been to, which were exactly the same as the ones at the rockabilly shows I've been to. The only diversity in moshing is from the hardcore kids, yet they still do some of the push and run bullshit like everyone else that moshs. Stop trying to come off as condescending, you're a tool.

Your last photo isn't even worth responding to properly because you know it's ridiculous (and you're a pathetic faggot that can't even set up strawman offensives/defensives). GG.

or is it when like 30 people stand in a small circle and a few people are in the middle of the circle being shoved around the circle?
Uh, I think that's called a gangbang.

Nobody ever gets hurt? Are you moshing with like 5 other people, or are you moshing at nsync concerts? Because otherwise that's just a downright lie. It's impossible to have hundreds of people shoving into eachother without someone's face colliding with someone's elbow, or something falling down, or someone getting kicked damn hard, or someone's head colliding with another person's head, etc. Seriously, don't even try to lie like that.
You expected Dain to tell the truth? You crazies girl.

DeAtHsTaR
11-17-2006, 06:53 PM

I live in a small town, the moshpits are 40 people large at the highest, but usally around 10. Black eyes occasionally happen, but nothing serious, and it's etiquette to pick someone up if they fall down.

DeAtHsTaR
11-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Is a circle pit when a whole ton of people start running around the entire crowd in a huge circle and shoving everyone out of their way? or is it when like 30 people stand in a small circle and a few people are in the middle of the circle being shoved around the circle?

It's when you all run in a circle. At least that's what it is in K-Town.

DeAtHsTaR
11-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Punk moshing and metal moshing are the same, fact.
Not true, metal moshing is a lot more violent and completely full of punching and kicking people when they're down. At least at the punk shwos I go to, everyone is Unified, we're all the same, and we all love eachother, it's like a brotherhood.

ninthlayer
11-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Metal moshers don't punch/kick people when they're on the ground and you're full of shit.

Brotherhood? You're a fucking queer.

SkunkIt
11-17-2006, 07:20 PM
I live in a small town, the moshpits are 40 people large at the highest, but usally around 10. Black eyes occasionally happen, but nothing serious, and it's etiquette to pick someone up if they fall down.

I've seen a pop-pop punk show have an ambulance come to It. Either way, If you're talking about a Ska show, moshing ruins It.

....At least at the punk shwos I go to, everyone is Unified, we're all the same, and we all love eachother, it's like a brotherhood.

That's the dumbest Thing I've ever heard.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 08:01 PM

It's when you all run in a circle. At least that's what it is in K-Town.

Not true, metal moshing is a lot more violent and completely full of punching and kicking people when they're down. At least at the punk shwos I go to, everyone is Unified, we're all the same, and we all love eachother, it's like a brotherhood.

Good job triple posting!!! Yeah!

First of all, what the FUCK kind of "metal" shows do you go to??? Korn and Slipknot?? Good fucking lord, dude, I've been to plenty of metal shows, and the moshing was exactly the same as at a punk show.

And "unified, we're all the same, we all love eachother, it's like a brotherhood"... please name some bands whose pits are like this. I've been to plenty of punk and metal shows, and the pits were all the same and gay. Also, you first called people pussies for not moshing... but then you get into this "we love eachother, we're unified in a brotherhood" faggotry... what the fuck?

DeAtHsTaR
11-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Metal moshers don't punch/kick people when they're on the ground and you're full of shit.

Brotherhood? You're a fucking queer.
I've seen it happen. And yes, the attitude at shows here is all positive, and people help out one another. And don't you live with RickyCrack? Correct me if I'm wrong. But anyways, that might make you gay.

DeAtHsTaR
11-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Good job triple posting!!! Yeah!

First of all, what the FUCK kind of "metal" shows do you go to??? Korn and Slipknot?? Good fucking lord, dude, I've been to plenty of metal shows, and the moshing was exactly the same as at a punk show.

And "unified, we're all the same, we all love eachother, it's like a brotherhood"... please name some bands whose pits are like this. I've been to plenty of punk and metal shows, and the pits were all the same and gay. Also, you first called people pussies for not moshing... but then you get into this "we love eachother, we're unified in a brotherhood" faggotry... what the fuck?

The metal shows I go to, only because it's the only thing going on that night, are usually shitty death metal/grindcore. It's way more violent than the pits of these two punk bands I saw recently, Valid Effort (http://myspace.com/valideffort) and Krush Klamath (http://myspace.com/27676159). During Krush Klamath's set, there was much pogoing, moshing, even skanking in the ska songs. It was just generally a feel-good show and there was no hate to be found. Btw, listen to The Poor by KK, it rocks.

ninthlayer
11-17-2006, 08:56 PM
I've seen it happen. And yes, the attitude at shows here is all positive, and people help out one another. And don't you live with RickyCrack? Correct me if I'm wrong. But anyways, that might make you gay.
Wait, you've seen kids get kicked on the ground and punched but everyone is positive and helps each other out? I call shenanigans, you're full of shit Dain.

RickyCrack doesn't even live in the same city as me, but gg for the feeble effort at making me look like half the faggot you are.

Also, you first called people pussies for not moshing... but then you get into this "we love eachother, we're unified in a brotherhood" faggotry... what the fuck?
You don't honestly expect ickle huggy Dainikins to be able to keep his story straight, do you?

Kek.

Venom Symbiote
11-17-2006, 09:05 PM
You know what's funny?

Out of all the hundred or so moshpits I've been in during the last 5 or 6 years, the dual Green Day/Simple Plan show was the most violent.

Trust me, "punk" kids (being the 13-15 year old pop-rockers) are the worst moshers.

I've been to Metallica, Megadeth, Arch Enemy, Soulfly, Slipknot, System Of A Down, Dragonforce, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Kreator, Nile, Black Majesty, a bunch of other metal bands, and fuck no, no comparison whatsoever.

Metalheads jump up and down and thrash their hair around.

Punk-kids crowd-surf and practice karate moves in a confined space.

The worst part about the Green Day show was the getting smacked in the face repeatedly by the elbows of goddamn 7th graders, most of them girls. At least at the average metal show on the (less common) occasion you get hit you can fight back. Not so with the radio-station-sponsored mainstream cool-kid rockers who hate Bush and war and yet somehow encourage climbing up on each other's shoulders and kicking people in the back of the head along to "Warning" or some shit.

Rid-fucking-iculous.

Little_Miss_1565
11-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Ah yes, because mosh pits in Podunk Backwater, Oregon are CLEARLY the paradigm of mosh pits everywhere. Bumfuck, Nowhere knows how to party.

Every pit I've been in that's taken place in a city people have heard of has devolved into a stupid as fuck beatdown party.

Edit: Directed at Dain, not Venom.

But speaking of what Venom said, I've found that I usually end up taking care of the 13 year olds who end up in pits. When I saw Green Day, I was giving the little boys and girls the heads up of what the show was about to turn into and what to do. "Keep your hands up, so you can get your balance when you're knocked around, and don't fight it just move with it, and for god's sake don't take it personally if someone knocks into you really hard." I'm a fucking grandma compared to most of the kids at these shows, might as well act the part, hah.

And I got the fuck beat out of me when I saw the Offspring right after I turned 14. Drunk 30-something decided he didn't like me. Dexter also kicked me in the head while stagediving, but that was kind of cool.

Apathy
11-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Haha, awesome.

I've actually gotten punched by Dexter, although accidentally I would hope, in a mosh at a Nofx show.

Llamas
11-18-2006, 02:46 AM
Oh that was you who was standing by dexter at the MKE warped? I was so sad when I read that... I was gonna go to that warped tour, and chances are I would've gone to see nofx... would've been cool to meet dexter.

Worst mosh pits I've been in: offspring, all american rejects, mxpx, dropkick murphys, lagwagon, less than jake, reel big fish (yes, I used to be into some awful shit... haha). least violent pits I've been in: shellac (angry metal), the used (I guess emo metal), candlebox (90s metalrock). The dropkick pit was by far the nastiest. That and lagwagon. Moshing at any of those shows sucked, but the punk/pop punk ones were by far the worst. I got other people's blood on me, people were moshing with very dangerous objects, and people were getting severely hurt and there were ambulances.

What you seem to be talking about is dancing and rocking with like 100 other people at a basement show. That does NOT count as moshing.

DeAtHsTaR
11-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Wait, you've seen kids get kicked on the ground and punched but everyone is positive and helps each other out? I call shenanigans, you're full of shit Dain.

Read you fucking idiot, I said it happens at metal shows, not punk. Do you have a fucking 5th grade education?

DeAtHsTaR
11-18-2006, 02:59 PM
What you seem to be talking about is dancing and rocking with like 100 other people at a basement show. That does NOT count as moshing.

If there's 100 people in a pit, IT IS a mosh. Nevermind that that many people can't fit in a basement, but I digress. Around here the shows are usually at Skateland (Normally gay rolelr skating place/small skatepark) or the Eagle's Lodge. At the last show I went to I did end up getting a black eye when I hit my face on some fat dude's sternum.

coke_a_holic
11-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Was he a WWE star? I don't think people generally do bellyflops in mosh pits unless they're Hulk Hogan.

EDIT: On topic: I think I'm seeing Streetlight Manifesto next week! w00t!!!

DeAtHsTaR
11-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Was he a WWE star? I don't think people generally do bellyflops in mosh pits unless they're Hulk Hogan.

He wasn't doing a bellyflop, everyone was getting thrown around and I hit his chest at about 10 mph and went straight to the floor. He was fuckign huge, I'm 6'1, and I was up to his neck.

Llamas
11-18-2006, 04:11 PM
If there's 100 people in a pit, IT IS a mosh. Nevermind that that many people can't fit in a basement, but I digress. Around here the shows are usually at Skateland (Normally gay rolelr skating place/small skatepark) or the Eagle's Lodge. At the last show I went to I did end up getting a black eye when I hit my face on some fat dude's sternum.

wow, that sounds like so much FUN!! I wish I could go!!!

Venom Symbiote
11-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Every pit I've been in that's taken place in a city people have heard of has devolved into a stupid as fuck beatdown party.

:( Word, g-shizzle. Not all, but most. You'd think in this day and age people would realise how retarded and outdated that kind of moshing really is. I have nothing against jumping around having a good time, but when it turns into a "can't-see-the-band-'cause-I'm-concentrating-so-hard-on-not-falling-over-among-giant-bikers-wearing-steel-capped-boots" type of thing, it's ridiculous.

But speaking of what Venom said, I've found that I usually end up taking care of the 13 year olds who end up in pits. When I saw Green Day, I was giving the little boys and girls the heads up of what the show was about to turn into and what to do. "Keep your hands up, so you can get your balance when you're knocked around, and don't fight it just move with it, and for god's sake don't take it personally if someone knocks into you really hard." I'm a fucking grandma compared to most of the kids at these shows, might as well act the part, hah.

I know what you mean, even though these days the kids seem to know their concert drill pretty well. It's insane. I'm all "dude, you're like 11, what the hell are you doing in a Nine Inch Nails pit?!" Green Day was intense though, like you said, I'm a college-age kid feeling like I'm ancient. The kids seem to...almost question why you're there, invading their little "rebellious Green Day world". Then you get some smartass snotty-nosed 8th grade crowd-surfing, you're 2 feet taller than everyone else, somehow they think "hey, I'll surf over in that direction and hit him, see if I can get a reaction!". It takes all your willpower not to just beat the little punk down and get thrown out by the line of security guards 3 feet away.

Most of the kids are ok, I guess, it's funny seeing some of them all scared when the stampede towards the barricade starts.

Like, I have no problem letting bloody 12 year old girls in front of me at a show so they can see. That's cool. But when it's little shits (guys) taking advantage of the fact you're an adult in the eyes of the law and won't be shown any leniency or understanding if you teach them a lesson, that pisses me off.

I mean, when I was a kid at shows, we'd be scared of the 20 year olds. I guess they're different times now. But seriously, the Nimrod tour, all the older people were cool towards my friends, maybe 10-15% of the crowd were under 15, the older folks looked after the young'uns. But we'd never even dream of purposely provoking them and hitting people in the pit.

That's one of the things I dislike about punk (and not-so-punk) shows these days, the little bastards acting like they own the place and ruining it for everybody else.

Whereas, heh, at metal shows I'm always like the youngest, and you're moshing with a group of balding 30 year olds who just want to drink beer and listen to the music, no interest in starting brawls.

Metal shows aren't as bad as their reputation would have you believe. At least the non-death/black metal stuff.

Dexter also kicked me in the head while stagediving, but that was kind of cool.

I've actually gotten punched by Dexter, although accidentally I would hope, in a mosh at a Nofx show.

:eek: Wha-wha-whaaa? You two are pure rock. :( So what, Apathy, Dexter was in the actual pit with you guys, or just stagediving or whatever during NoFX's set? And L_M_1565, I'm sure that was accidental, heh. Very cool. Heh, I had Herman Li from Dragonforce lean out and kick a dude next to me (hard) after he sprayed his guitar with a water-bottle, that's about the extent of my band-violence experience.

Apathy
11-18-2006, 10:29 PM
I was at warped, and I went to see Nofx. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but I really love them live. About ten minutes into it Mike was rambling (instead of actually playing a song, which they tend to do) about there isn't enough older punks. At which he points out into the crowd and says something along the lines of "but there's one now! Dexter Holland everybody!" I guess he was just riding along with Nofx for the few shows that they were actually doing, it was kind of cool that he was actually in the crowd though, as all the other music celebrities were watching from the actual stage.

On topic: I think I'm seeing Streetlight Manifesto next week
I congratulate you on this, your finest moment. I saw them last summer, and unfortunately missed them when they played here two or so days ago.

coke_a_holic
11-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I already saw them over the summer, this is my second time. This time, though, they have a 15 minute longer set. Should make all the difference; I can't wait.

Sorry you missed them before, though. They're making a new cd and will be (most likely) doing a headlining tour for it! I'm stoked for that. Word.

Apathy
11-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah, so they say.

Last time I saw them Kalnoky was saying "Yeah, we've got a new cd coming out, you can buy it right now at the merch booth!"
So of course everyone rushes over to the booth only to hear Tomas laughing into the mic.

Seriously though, they've been "working" on it for ages. They do play quite a few new songs live though, that's nice.

Edit: Here's a video of one of the new Streetlight songs. The camera is a bit shaky, but the quality is astoundingly good compared to others on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysZcpcpWMQ

They play two new songs at most of the shows. Personally I like the other one better, but I can't find a decent video of it.

coke_a_holic
11-18-2006, 11:23 PM
It's on their site now, though, and he acknowledges that they're all procrastinating perfectionists.

soooooo..... we are playing jersey again! Once again we will be playing the starland ballroom on december 3rd, this time for the light of day benefit, a particularly awesome organization. all proceeds from ticket sales will go towards parkinsons and ALS research. so far, as far as we know, it's just us, but other bands are to be announced soon, as well as some special guests. also, this will be our last (and first in a long while) headlining show for some time, as we are offically and definately not playing any more shows or doing any more tours until the new record is complete. as for that, we are a good chunk into the recording process and we're all very very very psyched for this one to be released. once again, this will be our last show for quite some time (knowing how long it takes us to record/mix ;-) so if you'd like to see us live and support a great cause this is your one chance for a few months. thanks and see you all soon...

EDIT: I like Would You Be Impressed? more than the other one, but I don't remember the other as well. They opened with it when I saw them and went directly into That'll be the Day. It was very cool.

Apathy
11-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Good news, but it'll still take way longer than it should.

They promised everything goes numb would be out like a good year before it actually was released.

Venom Symbiote
11-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Just noticed this little gem...

reel big fish (yes, I used to be into some awful shit... haha)

Go fuck...something. Aaron and the guys are tits.

Apathy
11-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Despite the fact that they have only been able to release one good album?

coke_a_holic
11-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Turn the Radio off is FANTASTIC. I never want to get another cd by them, though, as I'm sure I will be horribly disappointed. Oh well.

Venom Symbiote
11-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Fuck you. Yet again.

Everything they've ever done except "Cheer Up" kicks most other '90s rock bands square in the testes.

Yes, even the newest disc.

They're seriously ridiculed way too much in the ska community. They've done a lot for this style of music.

Llamas
11-19-2006, 03:19 PM
they're boring. their music gets redundant, they're unoriginal after so long. I hate his voice.

DeAtHsTaR
11-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Turn the Radio off is FANTASTIC. I never want to get another cd by them, though, as I'm sure I will be horribly disappointed. Oh well.

All their records are decent, but that one's the best.

Apathy
11-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Yes that was my thoughts.

Turn the Radio off is one of the best Ska/Pop-punk blends out there. It's pretty much a must-own in the genre.
However the rest are more "eh, I guess they sound good, but I've heard this all before."

I Voted For Kodos first album sounds almost identical to Turn The Radio off. Mostly because they're the bands biggest influence, and you can tell. They actually have a song titled 'Wish I was Aaron'. Here's a few songs off random myspaces, I'm too lazy to upload the best ones.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=57226186 - She Hates Ska
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=81743305 - On The Phone

If you want more and want to download, look for 'Just Want You To Know' and 'Please Die In A Fire'

Revolver-2005?
11-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Does anyone like The Planet Smashers? I recently got into them and I think they're fucking kick ass.

opivy21
11-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Does anyone like The Planet Smashers? I recently got into them and I think they're fucking kick ass.
Life Of The Party is one of the catchiest ska songs I've ever heard. It's also the only song that I remember by them.

DeAtHsTaR
11-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Police the Nation by Planet Smashers is great.

Apathy
11-19-2006, 08:13 PM
I've been recommended to them numerous times, but they are one of the few popular ska bands I haven't checked out yet.

I've been told the song Super Orgy Porno Party is one of their best. I'm not really sure what to make of that.

Revolver-2005?
11-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Well here's a list of songs I've really enjoyed by them:

J'aime Ta Femme (I Like Your Girl)
Explosive
Blind
Hey Hey
She's So Hot

Apathy
11-20-2006, 06:37 PM
heh, I load up their myspace page to listen to some songs and I immediately see "Going on Tour with SIMPLE PLAN!"

But they're actually pretty good, so don't worry about that.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=14456487

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Soapbox Paradox. A pop-punk kind-of ska band from Detroit. They're actually pretty good. "Danny!" is probably my favorite song, but "Sports" and "Halloween" are good too.

http://www.detroitcity.com/soapboxparadox

Apathy
12-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Bah, it's not fair.
Places like Detroit, St. Louis, and New Jersey have huge ska scenes when everyone else is left to rot in envy.

1979, you were right they are quite poppy. However they are still very good. I likey. And thanks for the bump!

Here is another Poppy Ska/Punk band as a gift.
10 Minutes Down (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=9029756)

Listen to Destiny. I haven't actually heard the others on the link, they aren't working right for me.

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Meh, I wanna move to SoCal, just for the ska.

There are like 3 bands here I know of. And they're all quite testicular.

Apathy
12-08-2006, 10:36 PM
There is a grand total of one ska band that actually releases music from Wisconsin.

Anyway, is anyone going to go to one of the upcoming ska-fests? (ie: like the one Soapbox Paradox is playing in Detroit) I might try to make it to the one in Chicago, but it will probably end up being too close to Christmas for me.

I don't actually know who is playing them other than Mustard Plug, I'm pretty sure the other bands switch from city to city.

Apathy
12-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Sorry for the double post, but Im so fucking excited and I think a new topic or a bumping of the official topic would be overboard for this smallish band.

Big D and the Kids Table finished recording their new album Yesterday. They entered the studio on the 28th, and they have 16 new songs done.

They took a bunch of pictures of them in the studio, one of the new songs so we even have names.

http://www.bigdandthekidstable.com/gallerythingie/gallery.php?id=32

They recently signed to Side One Dummy, new album is supposed to be released in March.
They also have an Split EP coming out in January, band says that they recorded some "heavy" songs for it to match with the other band better.

jacknife737
12-09-2006, 01:17 PM
^ I'm really excited for the new Big D album.

Anyone else listen to The Kingpins? I picked up Watch Your Back a little while ago, and can't stop listening to it.

Lars
12-09-2006, 01:30 PM
I went and filmed some bands on the Ska is Dead (http://www.skaisdead.com/) tour here in the UK last Sunday. Was quite impressed with Bomb the Music Industry (http://www.bombthemusicindustry.com/). You can download all their shit for free off their site as well. I would have been tempted to see them again yesterday except I was going to a different show not that far away from where they were playing.

Apathy
12-10-2006, 10:07 AM
I've never been to Ska is dead, I really want to but it seems the closest they ever come to me is Chicago which is still in another state.
BTMI has an unbelieveable amount of fans because all of their music is free.

jacknife, i've never heard of the Kingpins, I shall give them a listen.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Bump because of the three-day old news I just heard. This is from a blog Anti-Flag just posted on their MySpace:

War Sucks, Let’s Party Tour Update.

Hey all! We come to you with some bad news and some good news. The bad news is that, The Explosion had to drop off the "War Sucks, Let's Party tour". The good news is that we have added another awesome Boston band to rock with, our friends, BIG D AND THE KIDS TABLE.

The Explosion aren't bad, but I like Big D better. Now, I'm going to try really hard to see this show live. Now I just have to get into Alexisonfire and Set Your Goals. To the "Where Do I Start?" thread!

Anti-Flag:::Alexisonfire:::Big D and the Kids Table:::Set Your Goals
WAR SUCKS, LET'S PARTY:
3/13/2007 Cleveland, OH @ HOB
3/14/2007 Detroit, MI @ Majestic Theatre
3/15/2007 Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave II
3/16/2007 Chicago, IL @ Metro
3/17/2007 Minneapolis, MN @ Trocaderos...

All of these dates in a row? These guys must be nuts.

Apathy
12-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Huzzah! Yeah I was excited for that too, I just found out about it a day or two ago.

I've only heard One The Explosion song, and it was alright I guess. But Big D are my favorite band.

I haven't heard any Anti-Flag or Alexisonfire, and I don't like Set Your Goals. And yet, I'm still going to at least two maybe three of the dates. That's how Big D deprived I am.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Alexisonfire is screamo/emo. Yeah, they aren't that pleasing, but if I listen to them enough and listen to the right stuff, like I did Thursday, I could grow to like them.

And two to three shows? That isn't that bad, but off the same tour, it's crazy. You really are dedicated. I mean, I'm still trying really, really hard to get a ride to Canada to see Billy Talent live, but that's a whole different tour and Billy Talent is headlining.

By the way, what shows are you planning on going to, and how are you getting there?

Agatio
12-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Alexisonfire is screamo-emo.

Of course they are! Alex is on fire!

Apathy
12-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Im going to Milwaukee and Chicago. Hopefully Detroit.

I don't have my liscence yet, so I managed to find a ride to Chicago but I still need to bum a ride to Detroit from someone. Problem is, my only ska friend is busy with college stuff that week.
I suppose I could try and convice one of my scenester friends to go for Alexisonfire. Besides, they owe me because I got them a ride to their Motion City Soundtrack/Gym Class Heroes concert a few days ago. (Which by the way, was 90% ten year old girls. Not Even Joking. The high pitched screaming from them was far louder than the actual bands.)

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Sweet. You're lucky. I don't have any older friends that are into the same kind of music as me.

Apathy
12-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Oh please.

Neither do I. I have one older friend who "thinks trumpets in a band sounds cool"

That's as close as I can find, and I'll take it.

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
01-23-2007, 07:18 PM

I'm a big fan of LTJ (I own 4 of their albums and have a bunch burned too), but after listening to their stuff I have to say that over the years they are becoming less and less ska and more and more pop-punk.
I mean they still kick ass, but most of their songs don't qualify as ska

Original prankstA
01-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm a big fan of LTJ (I own 4 of their albums and have a bunch burned too), but after listening to their stuff I have to say that over the years they are becoming less and less ska and more and more pop-punk.
I mean they still kick ass, but most of their songs don't qualify as ska

I agree, they used to be like 100% ska and their newest album was basically no ska with a few minor exceptions, but in a way it's cool because they're making a genre all their own because they still use horns in their punk stuff, i love ltj

coke_a_holic
01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
New Big D and the Kids Table songs from their cd due out in 2 months!

Souped Up Vinyl
http://altpress.com/images/media/audio_bigd02.mp3

Noise Complaint
http://www.sideonedummy.com/mp3s/bigd/noise%20complaint.mp3

Snakebite
http://www.sideonedummy.com/mp3s/bigd/snakebite.mp3

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=955611#post955611), I can't wait. "Snakebite" is an awesome song.

coke_a_holic
01-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Those are the actual files, though; you can put them on your iPod or your snazzy mp3 player of choice, rather than just streaming them.

Apathy
01-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Whooo!

Yay for Mike. I was actually just about to request that very thing, because I don't know how, but I can't wait.

I think I like Souped Up the best out of the three. Sounds most like the older stuff.

Original prankstA
01-24-2007, 08:06 PM
im gonna wait until the album is released, that way every song is like
suprise!!
im so happy just for the whole thing =]

coke_a_holic
01-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Uh, not that I have a pirated copy or anything, but the new Big D cd is fucking godly. I plan on buying it when it comes out, and I suggest everyone do the same. It's better than How it Goes, and some parts of it are really growing on me. They definitely grew up lyrically and musically on it; it's fantastic.

Apathy
01-29-2007, 02:16 PM
what?

They're my favorite band, and I have to wait another two months to buy the cd when you have a pirated copy? Where on earth did you get it?

coke_a_holic
01-29-2007, 08:27 PM
My friend Adam got it somehow; I didn't ask questions, I just requested a burned copy.

Seriously, it's fucking good; I'll load up a few of my favorites from it that they haven't already put up. Souped Up Vinyl is one of the better songs on the record, to get an idea of what its like.

Apathy
01-30-2007, 07:41 PM
It has been leaked, but I don't have soulseek or any other download service.

According to last.fm, steady riot and shining on are the two best tracks.

coke_a_holic
01-30-2007, 08:24 PM
I'd say Shining On is the best song of the cd, I'll definitely upload that one. Steady Riot's pretty great, but I wouldn't say it's the one of the BEST. Some songs are godly musically, but lyrically mediocre, which is really too bad. Breaking the Bottle has some AWESOME horn parts, but the lyrics are pretty weak.

I'm gonna give the whole cd another run through and pick out 2 others besides Shining On to upload.

coke_a_holic
01-30-2007, 08:33 PM
How about you buy the cd when it comes out like I plan on doing anyway?

Apathy
02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I have preordered the new cd, and shall recieve a signed poster and exclusive patch!

Hurrah!

Original prankstA
02-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I have preordered the new cd, and shall recieve a signed poster and exclusive patch!

Hurrah!

where'd you do that at, It sounds like a swell idea.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking: http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=141343&

Where I'll order it.

coke_a_holic
02-03-2007, 11:08 PM
So ye ask, so shall ye receive.

Big D & The Kids Table - Shining On (http://www.savefile.com/files/464806) (very upbeat, a fantastic song)
Big D & The Kids Table - Hell on Earth (http://www.savefile.com/files/464810) (very different from the above song; I like it, even though it's kinda immature [musically! lyrically it's pretty great])

Original prankstA
02-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Ok, I'm looking to get a new user name involving ska, so I figured I'd come to the tread where ska is the main priority. Any suggestions?

barangatang
02-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Original prankSKA

Original prankstA
02-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Original prankSKA

that's actually pretty good, I wouldn't use it but I like the idea.