PDA

View Full Version : Which Primus or Les Claypool album should I listen to first?



Jebus
08-31-2005, 04:01 PM
I found a link to download their full discography but I have no clue where to start. What album should I listen to first? http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9330595&postcount=1748

Jebus
08-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Does it really matter, do you think? The first cd I listened to by Primus was Tales From the Punchbowl, then Pork Soda, then I went and bought the Hallucino-Genetics dvd, and then I got the Animals cd/dvd. I'm gonna get Frizzle Fry next.

Just randomly click something, I guess.
Is there any particular album that's a bit of a disappointment? I want to listen to one of their best first so I don't get discouraged from listening to more if I pick a crappy one.

nieh
08-31-2005, 04:35 PM
Start with anything other than Suck on This, the Brown Album or Antipop. Suck on This is a live album, the Brown Album is...ok...but I don't know a single person that can listen to it from beginning to end without getting bored, plus the production is really weak. Antipop sounds too much like your average nu-metal bands like RATM and Limp Bizkit and what have you, but I guess if you like those bands you'll probably like the album. Most people say Sailing the Seas of Cheese is their best album, with Pork Soda seemingly coming in second among their fans (I prefer Pork Soda myself). It's really up to you though, every album has a slightly different sound, so it depends on which sound you like more.

Frizzle Fry - Has their most traditional funky-heavy-metal sound (more Black Sabbath influence than any of their other albums)
Sailing the Seas of Cheese - Obnoxious, goofy, somewhat-punkish funky stuff. It's a good time.
Pork Soda - More mellow and groovy as opposed to being really funky. Nice album to chill out with.
Tales from the punchbowl - Sounds kinda like Pork Soda designed to make you uncomfortable and slightly depressed (except for a few upbeat tracks here and there, mostly at the beginning)
Brown Album - it sounds brown...
Antipop - Sounds like your typical modern metal/nu-metal band except less angry.
Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People - 5 song EP, sounds like 1 song that could've been on all their other albums. It's not bad, but isn't really necessary unless you get the DVD that goes along with it.

Oysterhead - Jam band comprised of Trey Anastasio from Phish on guitar, Stewart Copeland from the Police on drums. 75% of the album sounds kinda like "If Phish didn't suck", the other 25% of the album sounds like Phish sucking.

CCBBB - Another jam band that sounds kinda like the more upbeat Oysterhead songs except with more traditional funk influence and a bit more upbeat (based on the few tracks I've heard in any case). Doesn't sound as much like Monsters and Robots as it should considering 3 of these folks played on that album.

Sausage - Primus's original line-up getting together to dick around. "Original line-up" as in when they were still a local band and had never recorded anything. Has some fine moments but very few fine wholes.

Les Claypool's Frog Brigade - Sounds like Primus mixed with classic rock (i.e. Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, etc.) and...maybe even a little Mr. Bungle on account of the cartoonish-ness of some of the songs (they have a xylophone player and a saxophone player that make it sound kinda kooky).

Gabby La La - Boring. Song writing is way too normal aside from the choice of instruments (which isn't even that unusual considering I know bands that play all this stuff). Les plays bass on this but it's really Gabby La La's solo album.

Adrian Belew's solo album Side One - Guitarist from King Crimson, Talking Heads and David Bowie with Les Claypool on bass and Danny Carey from Tool on drums. I liked this album a lot more than I expected too because I was never a fan of Adrian Belew's bands.

Jebus
08-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Start with anything other than Suck on This, the Brown Album or Antipop. Suck on This is a live album, the Brown Album is...ok...but I don't know a single person that can listen to it from beginning to end without getting bored, plus the production is really weak. Antipop sounds too much like your average nu-metal bands like RATM and Limp Bizkit and what have you, but I guess if you like those bands you'll probably like the album. Most people say Sailing the Seas of Cheese is their best album, with Pork Soda seemingly coming in second among their fans (I prefer Pork Soda myself). It's really up to you though, every album has a slightly different sound, so it depends on which sound you like more.

Frizzle Fry - Has their most traditional funky-heavy-metal sound (more Black Sabbath influence than any of their other albums)
Sailing the Seas of Cheese - Obnoxious, goofy, somewhat-punkish funky stuff. It's a good time.
Pork Soda - More mellow and groovy as opposed to being really funky. Nice album to chill out with.
Tales from the punchbowl - Sounds kinda like Pork Soda designed to make you uncomfortable and slightly depressed (except for a few upbeat tracks here and there, mostly at the beginning)
Brown Album - it sounds brown...
Antipop - Sounds like your typical modern metal/nu-metal band except less angry.
Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People - 5 song EP, sounds like 1 song that could've been on all their other albums. It's not bad, but isn't really necessary unless you get the DVD that goes along with it.

Oysterhead - Jam band comprised of Trey Anastasio from Phish on guitar, Stewart Copeland from the Police on drums. 75% of the album sounds kinda like "If Phish didn't suck", the other 25% of the album sounds like Phish sucking.

CCBBB - Another jam band that sounds kinda like the more upbeat Oysterhead songs except with more traditional funk influence and a bit more upbeat (based on the few tracks I've heard in any case). Doesn't sound as much like Monsters and Robots as it should considering 3 of these folks played on that album.

Sausage - Primus's original line-up getting together to dick around. "Original line-up" as in when they were still a local band and had never recorded anything. Has some fine moments but very few fine wholes.

Les Claypool's Frog Brigade - Sounds like Primus mixed with classic rock (i.e. Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, etc.) and...maybe even a little Mr. Bungle on account of the cartoonish-ness of some of the songs (they have a xylophone player and a saxophone player that make it sound kinda kooky).

Gabby La La - Boring. Song writing is way too normal aside from the choice of instruments (which isn't even that unusual considering I know bands that play all this stuff). Les plays bass on this but it's really Gabby La La's solo album.

Adrian Belew's solo album Side One - Guitarist from King Crimson, Talking Heads and David Bowie with Les Claypool on bass and Danny Carey from Tool on drums. I liked this album a lot more than I expected too because I was never a fan of Adrian Belew's bands.

Nieh to the rescue!
Heh, I would have been happy with something like "Frizzle Fry: Good" or "Brown Album: Bad" but I kind of expected you to post something long.

I just finished Frizzle Fry and many parts of my body and clothes were pwned including my socks, of course. It'll still take me a more few listens to really appreciate the music but I still enjoyed. It's unbelievable that I'm just now finding out how great of a bass player Les Claypool is. His thumping bass rhythm parts sexed me up good. I shouldn't have put off checking out this band for as long as I did.

Turbonegro
08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
the Brown Album is...ok...but I don't know a single person that can listen to it from beginning to end without getting bored, plus the production is really weak.

...I liked the Brown Album. It was a helluva lot better than Pork Soda IMHO. I honestly can't listen to that cd in one sitting. It just drags on. I get sick of it half way through "The Ol' Diamondback Sturgeon". And the guitar playing on a lot of the tracks makes my ears bleed. It sounds awful. Ler can do so much better than that. Maybe it's the fact that he has about six effects pedals running constantly, but the guitar is just like annoying background noise.

nieh
09-01-2005, 04:45 AM
...I liked the Brown Album. It was a helluva lot better than Pork Soda IMHO. I honestly can't listen to that cd in one sitting. It just drags on. I get sick of it half way through "The Ol' Diamondback Sturgeon". And the guitar playing on a lot of the tracks makes my ears bleed. It sounds awful. Ler can do so much better than that. Maybe it's the fact that he has about six effects pedals running constantly, but the guitar is just like annoying background noise.

I <3 guitar noise when it's done well and they have something else going on. Ler is probably the best noisy guitarist I've ever heard and the fact that he has Les and Tim keeping things interesting and and catchy out front makes it that much better. If they weren't there it'd be boring and annoying to me, but they are.

As for the Brown Album, I can listen to any 1-2 songs off the album and enjoy it, but when you put them all in a row I just get sick of it. It might be cause I overplayed it when I first got it (it was the first Primus album I got) but even after not listening to it for a couple years, I still can't enjoy it from beginning to end.

coke_a_holic
09-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I only have Pork Soda and Hallucino-Genetics, but I want Frizzle Fry and Sailing Seas of Cheese so badly. You should definitely the 2 out you don't have already as soon as you can and hallucino-genetics.