PDA

View Full Version : Driven:The Offspring

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 10:21 PM
I think VH1 should do one. they did every other band. I was watchin the Green Day one for shits and giggles, and Mr. Bret was suporrting them. Trader, he should support the band that made his label famous, not their enimies.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Mr. Bret???

Offspring-Fanatic
09-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Epitaph dude

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Gotcha. My names Brett too. Amazing.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 10:26 PM
And why does everybody hate Green Day

Offspring-Fanatic
09-04-2005, 10:27 PM
i saw that, they were like "Dookie sold 10 mil records...thats DIAMOND" well smash was i guess "diamond" and then surrounded in platinum. now THAT'S something. the only cd i've heard thats sold more was Pink's M!ssundaztood (which i got when i was 11-12) but thats all i know of

kickass0987654321
09-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Because most of their new stuff sucks and is overplayed. I like their old stuff though.

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 10:29 PM
It made me mad to see Bret doing what he was doing. He's an ass. And if they did one for the Offspring I'm sure he would say the same stuff.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Green Days new stuff is overplayed. But their old stuff is definently better. But Im still a huge Green Day fan either way. Theres no way around that

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Green Days new stuff is overplayed. But their old stuff is definently better. But Im still a huge Green Day fan either way. Theres no way around that
Yeah ther is. I was a huge fan too. Until I realized their new crap sucked till n end and then I stopped liking them. So there is a way around it.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah ther is. I was a huge fan too. Until I realized their new crap sucked till n end and then I stopped liking them. So there is a way around it.
I just left a comment on your xanga. Im still gonna be a huge fan. And then if they keep making more music their now new stuff is gonna be their old stuff and itll be cool again. Or not..who knows

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I just left a comment on your xanga. Im still gonna be a huge fan. And then if they keep making more music their now new stuff is gonna be their old stuff and itll be cool again. Or not..who knows
American Idiot will always suck. No matter how old it gets. I find it funny. When Dokie came out, it was kinda like Green Day had their 15 seconds of fame, cuz when Smash came out, they kinda got left behind.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah. I guess so. But Dookie was still a good album. But theres no way it can beat Smash. Thats like, the best Offspring album ever. Besides Ignition and Ixnay

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Yeah. I guess so. But Dookie was still a good album. But theres no way it can beat Smash. Thats like, the best Offspring album ever. Besides Ignition and Ixnay
Early Green Day and early Offspring are the best.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 11:04 PM
By far. Old Green Day is awesome. But old Offspring is better :D

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 11:06 PM
But that would be pretty badass if they had a Driven Offspring. Id tape it and watch it over and over and over again

Manic subsidal
09-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Fuck Brett Gurewitz.

Italia311
09-04-2005, 11:08 PM
i saw that, they were like "Dookie sold 10 mil records...thats DIAMOND" well smash was i guess "diamond" and then surrounded in platinum. now THAT'S something. the only cd i've heard thats sold more was Pink's M!ssundaztood (which i got when i was 11-12) but thats all i know of

Heres one for you. Pink Floyd - The Wall CD sold 23 million records. Just one CD.

And Diamond is better than platinum. Once you hit 10 million its considered diamond.

Smash was only 6 million records. Dookie was 10 million. Although dookie sold more, I think smash is a better album. Its got a raw sound that dookie doesn't have. Dookie is too pussy. I think if offspring was on a different label for that record they would have sold more then greenday. IMO

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Fuck Brett Gurewitz.
I love you!

Manic subsidal
09-04-2005, 11:11 PM
seriously, talk about the king of stupid dumbshit god damn mother fuckers... Brett :/

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 11:13 PM
seriously, talk about the king of stupid dumbshit god damn mother fuckers... Brett :/
Ha ha. Word. I'm on a mission from god to kill Brett now. Along with the president. What can I say, God told me to do it.

Homer
09-04-2005, 11:17 PM
There's nothing wrong with Mr. Brett. I mean, if The Offspring were under my label, I'd totally be like "Fuck you guys, there's no way you're switching to Columbia."

Anyways, he's a still a damn good musician., and none of you should 'hate' or 'dislike' him.

Also, stop using Offspring song titles and lyrics in your sentences, I already lost enough IQ on these boards.

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 11:18 PM
There's nothing wrong with Mr. Brett. I mean, if The Offspring were under my lebel, I'd totally be like "Fuck you guys, there's no way you're switching to Columbia."

Anyways, he's a still a damn good musician.
It's label. Just thought you should know for the future.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Damnit quit talking about killing Brett! My names Brett and every time I see kill Brett Im like WTF?? lol. Kinda dumb.

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Damnit quit talking about killing Brett! My names Brett and every time I see kill Brett Im like WTF?? lol. Kinda dumb.
I wanna kill Brett. I hate him. He's a dick. He needs to die a horrible death.

barangatang
09-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Mr. Bret???

Brett gueriwtz, pennywise, head of epitaph.

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Brett gueriwtz, pennywise, head of epitaph.
You're wrong. He's in Bad Religion.

barangatang
09-04-2005, 11:28 PM
You're wrong. He's in Bad Religion.

oh whoops yeah, get them mixed up alot(pennywise and bad relegion).

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 11:29 PM
oh whoops yeah, get them mixed up alot(pennywise and bad relegion).
How? Just wondering.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 11:30 PM
I wanna kill Brett. I hate him. He's a dick. He needs to die a horrible death.
Funny. Very funny lol.

dexterisMYman
09-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Funny. Very funny lol.
I know. I'm the funniest.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-04-2005, 11:38 PM
I want a name change. Right now god damnit! lol.

Cejus
09-05-2005, 01:28 AM
haha 11 millions.... :p Actually, Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' sold more than 50 millions worldwide. :rolleyes:

peko
09-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Driven? I've never seen that on VH1. Then again, I don't watch very much TV. But they probably haven't done one for The Offspring because they haven't had any big recent commercial success like Green Day has. My guess at least.

Hypodermic_89
09-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Heres one for you. Pink Floyd - The Wall CD sold 23 million records. Just one CD.

And Diamond is better than platinum. Once you hit 10 million its considered diamond.

Smash was only 6 million records. Dookie was 10 million. Although dookie sold more, I think smash is a better album. Its got a raw sound that dookie doesn't have. Dookie is too pussy. I think if offspring was on a different label for that record they would have sold more then greenday. IMO

wasn't smash 11 mil. ? :confused:

Cejus
09-05-2005, 02:40 AM
I guess Smash sold 6 million in the US, so this could be the reason for this confusion :rolleyes: Oh, and Pink Floyd's "The Wall" isn't their bestselling album!! ;) It's "The dark side of the moon", the 4th most-selling album ever (more than 30 million copies sold worldwide).

(Although "The Wall" was better selling in the US than "The dark side of the moon", so there's again this confusion about US vs. Worldwide hehe)

http://members.aol.com/PaulHry/music/riaa.html ---> US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_music_artists#Estimation_Table ---> Best-selling artists worldwide

I can't find a list of the world's bestselling albums, tho... :(

Italia311
09-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Go to www.rockonthenet.com to see CD sales for bands in the US.

Thats where I got my source. Either way, I'm sure dookie sold more.

~*hit_that*~
09-05-2005, 07:08 AM

Same here :)

ashtray_girl_1
09-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Because most of their new stuff sucks and is overplayed. I like their old stuff though.

same here!

Amazed
09-05-2005, 01:30 PM

Because all of their songs sound the same. They're boring. I don't hate them though. They're good, but boring...

RonWelty
09-05-2005, 01:38 PM

dude SMASH sold between 11 and 12 millions records :) Official numbers ( AMERICANA SOLD something like 14 million )

RonWelty
09-05-2005, 01:43 PM
"Smash sold more than 11 million copies world wide and broke The Offspring into the mainstream, along with other punk bands like Rancid and Green Day. To this day it remains the highest selling independent album of all time.
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash

WE ALL LEARN :D

IdiotOfTheDay
09-05-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm trying to find Dookie album sales worldwide...but it's only making me more angry at Billie Joe and Green Day in general.
They're releasing a movie titled "American Idiot: The Motion Picture." Offspring have two movies, both about an hour long and cheaply made. Plus, Billie Joe's a copycat and a band-stealer (I make up my own insults every now and then, ahahha) because he formed Adeline Records in 1998, and AFI have two vinyl editions of their albums on Adeline. Plus, Green Day plays on the Adeline website. Billie Joe = an egomaniacal asshole.
Plus, Green Day are a huge influence to so many people--yet their name is a term for a day spent smoking weed, and Billie Joe used to be nicknamed "Two Dollar Bill" for selling joints for two bucks at his high school. Dexter makes a better hero than that, he was fucking valedictorian.
Ha, finally found worldwide sales of Dookie--14 million.
I'll stop looking up Green Day now, the stuff I'm finding is making me really mad.

Nirushika6789
09-05-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm trying to find Dookie album sales worldwide...but it's only making me more angry at Billie Joe and Green Day in general.
They're releasing a movie titled "American Idiot: The Motion Picture." Offspring have two movies, both about an hour long and cheaply made. Plus, Billie Joe's a copycat and a band-stealer (I make up my own insults every now and then, ahahha) because he formed Adeline Records in 1998, and AFI have two vinyl editions of their albums on Adeline. Plus, Green Day plays on the Adeline website. Billie Joe = an egomaniacal asshole.
Plus, Green Day are a huge influence to so many people--yet their name is a term for a day spent smoking weed, and Billie Joe used to be nicknamed "Two Dollar Bill" for selling joints for two bucks at his high school. Dexter makes a better hero than that, he was fucking valedictorian.Ha, finally found worldwide sales of Dookie--14 million.
I'll stop looking up Green Day now, the stuff I'm finding is making me really mad.
EXACTLY....
in all those 'bios' they do on tv they never include the full story....

and that part in blue is the best thing ive heard all day...why is someone that is sucha bad influence looked up to???

RonWelty
09-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Ha, finally found worldwide sales of Dookie--14 million. ...i do not believe .. even in USA ..SMASH WAS BIGGER than DOOKIE ...u can be sure of that !

RonWelty
09-05-2005, 03:04 PM
As of June 2005, Dookie has sold 7.5 million units in the US, with a diamond certification (10 million units shipped).

!

HeadAroundU
09-05-2005, 04:03 PM
search for gold&platinum albums: (USA only!!!)
http://www.riaa.com/gp/database/default.asp
smash 6
americana 4
dookie 10

http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp (USA only!!!)
Green day 19.5
The offspring 13

Conspiracy of One
09-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Shut up, Mutant-Face

RonWelty
09-05-2005, 04:56 PM
search for gold&platinum albums: (USA only!!!)
http://www.riaa.com/gp/database/default.asp
smash 6
americana 4
dookie 10

http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp (USA only!!!)
Green day 19.5
The offspring 13
but offspring sold more WORLD WIDE ...americana sold 14 million worldwide ..and smas more than 11 million

Kitten
09-05-2005, 05:16 PM
I think VH1 should do one. they did every other band. I was watchin the Green Day one for shits and giggles, and Mr. Bret was suporrting them. Trader, he should support the band that made his label famous, not their enimies.

I am sure he does trade, but I think the word you are trying to convey is traitor. If you look at some of the old archive stuff, Mr. Brett's Epitaph Europe used to distribute Green Day's first two records.
But yes, an Offspring Driven would be interesting.

HeadAroundU
09-05-2005, 05:26 PM
but offspring sold more WORLD WIDE ...americana sold 14 million worldwide ..and smash more than 11 million
Show me link!
14 is to much for Americana :cool:
maybe 10

code_blue
09-05-2005, 08:49 PM
There's nothing wrong with Mr. Brett. I mean, if The Offspring were under my label, I'd totally be like "Fuck you guys, there's no way you're switching to Columbia."

Anyways, he's a still a damn good musician., and none of you should 'hate' or 'dislike' him.

i agree. what's up with people saying that they want to kill brett and stuff? that's just ignorant. he's a fucking awesome musician (how many of you saying you hate him have actually listened to bad religion?), not to mention businessman. think of it this way -- if it hadnt' been for brett signing the offspring to epitaph, they probably would have remained in obscurity and you guys wouldn't even know about the offspring!

offspringis the best band
09-05-2005, 10:43 PM
What the fuck is everybody talking about Green Day's "new stuff" and their "old stuff". The only relevant musical difference between Dookie and American Idiot is the production. Jesus wept.

dain84
09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
What the fuck is everybody talking about Green Day's "new stuff" and their "old stuff". The only relevant musical difference between Dookie and American Idiot is the production. Jesus wept.
Actually, American Idiot is Adult alternative.

RonWelty
09-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Show me link!
14 is to much for Americana :cool:
maybe 10
dude ..are u insane? in 98 and 99 they were called BEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD ...

09-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Actually, American Idiot is Adult alternative.

Right. And Dookie was oh so punk rock? Come on. It's still the same three chords, it's still the same three guys and they're pretty much singing about the same things. They've been doing songs like "Wake Me Up When September Ends" since NIMROD, man, and NIMROD was eight years ago. "American Idiot" the song sounds like it could be something out of Insomniac, or even KERPLUNK.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-06-2005, 02:24 PM
American Idiot is more poppy than any other album theyve done. But its still a good album. But the sogns are overrated and overplayed

bouncingcoles
09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Mr. Bret???

owner of epitaph and bad religion guitarest

09-06-2005, 04:17 PM
American Idiot is more poppy than any other album theyve done. But its still a good album. But the sogns are overrated and overplayed

Right. Because "Saint Jimmy", "Holiday" and even "Give me Novocain" are poppier than fucking "HOLD ON".

HeadAroundU
09-06-2005, 05:59 PM
dude ..are u insane? in 98 and 99 they were called BEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD ...
call me Mr.insane if you want,I don't really care!
It's only my litlle opinion.14 is too much....
Show me the proof!

Lets say they have sold 32 000 000 albums ok!
13(USA)=6(smash)+4(americana)+1(CoO)+1(ixnay)+0.5( Splinter)+0.5(Ignition)

19(Rest of the world)=5(smash)+10(americana)+2(Ixnay)+1(CoO)+1(Sp linter)+0(Ignition)

Worldwide
CoO=2
Ixnay=3
ISN'T it retarded???!!!

IdiotOfTheDay
09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
i agree. what's up with people saying that they want to kill brett and stuff? that's just ignorant. he's a fucking awesome musician (how many of you saying you hate him have actually listened to bad religion?), not to mention businessman. think of it this way -- if it hadnt' been for brett signing the offspring to epitaph, they probably would have remained in obscurity and you guys wouldn't even know about the offspring!
Just because someone has awesome musical skills, doesn't mean they can't be an asshole.
And there are other labels out there, they would have been in the more mainstream airwaves eventually.

code_blue
09-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Just because someone has awesome musical skills, doesn't mean they can't be an asshole.
And there are other labels out there, they would have been in the more mainstream airwaves eventually.

never said he wasn't an asshole. (he was probably strung out on heroin the entire time he was dealing with offspring's success!) but it's not as though the offspring were entertaining tons of offers from record labels. epitaph was one of the only indie labels in the early 90s that could have supported the offspring as much as they did before smash and after smash. i really doubt that offspring would have gotten any real mainstream exposure had it not been for brett/epitaph records.

my only point is that you gotta give some respect to brett in that he was very integral in smash's success.. not to mention bringing punk rock back from the dead back in the late '80s with bad religion.