PDA

View Full Version : Ron Welty VS Atom Willard... who is the best drummer? who do you prefer?

pOpe
11-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Well, this is a qestion that i think it's too difficult to answer on my own.... On the one hand Ron has played 15 years with offspring, on the other hand atom is a excellent drummer.... what do you think?
________
Iolite reviews (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

Da Hui Fatum
11-22-2004, 02:38 PM
i don't know.......that's a really difficult one.....they're both great drummers........

DRUMMERS NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!

acgc2002
11-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Both are great, but I prefer Atom.

RonWelty
11-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Atom Willard , no doubt about it !

Offspring_01
11-22-2004, 03:07 PM
I can't really make a decision, because I have never heard atoms own drumming and have never seen him drum live. I have seen Ron drum live and he has some really good solos and beats. Ron was also with the band for like 15 years, so.... If I had to make a decision I would go with Ron. But like I said I'd rather not make a decision yet until i've heard Atom drum.

RonWelty
11-22-2004, 03:21 PM
I can't really make a decision, because I have never heard atoms own drumming and have never seen him drum live. I have seen Ron drum live and he has some really good solos and beats. Ron was also with the band for like 15 years, so.... If I had to make a decision I would go with Ron. But like I said I'd rather not make a decision yet until i've heard Atom drum.
listen to his own band with pat wilson from WEEZER - "SPECIAL GOODNESS " album : land air sea - VERY GOOD ~

epitaph records !

lousyskater
11-22-2004, 05:50 PM
wtf, this thread was already done. the title is word for word too.
________
VAPORIZER VOLCANO (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

Kitten
11-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Well, this is a qestion that i think it's too difficult to answer on my own.... On the one hand Ron has played 15 years with offspring, on the other hand atom is a excellent drummer.... what do you think?

I prefer Atom. For one thing he doesn't look like he had to kept in a cage and beaten till he had to go play drums on stage, and while Atom hasn't recorded anything with The Offspring as yet (or at least, none that we have heard barring a couple of the songs from the yet to be released Greatest Hits) but he can nail all the setlist songs, and he is a really nice guy that seems to get along really well with the band.

UgLy_eLf
11-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Ron, you assholes. Ron.

Kitten
11-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Ron, you assholes. Ron.

Hey, just because we are of a differing opinion to you doesn't make us assholes.

UgLy_eLf
11-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Hm sorry didn't think you'd be offended, Ron's been in the band 15+ years, Atom walked in what? 5 months ago? Less? Don't know havent kept track don't care. Initiation time, I say intermission guy humps him for an hour.

Redman
11-22-2004, 07:05 PM
I always liked Ron, but he really isn't that good a drummer.
Haven't heard enough of Atom to comment.

Offspring_01
11-28-2004, 08:53 PM
listen to his own band with pat wilson from WEEZER - "SPECIAL GOODNESS " album : land air sea - VERY GOOD ~

epitaph records !

Cool i'll check that out. Thanks :D

nameless
11-29-2004, 03:57 PM
I always liked Ron, but he really isn't that good a drummer.
Haven't heard enough of Atom to comment.

ron said himself that he didnt like the fact the songs werent written as a band, i to felt that the drumming was kept minimal when compared to other groups (vandals,pennywise etc) but listening to splinter for the first time, if i wasnt aware that ron had left i would have said that it was probably him playing on the album, it seems that that ron and josh freese were asked to play that way and leads me to the conclusion that with steady ground you will hear a totally different style of playing!

smileemptysoul44
12-01-2004, 05:55 PM
ATOM hes awasome and into the fans

dirty_magic
12-04-2004, 03:24 PM
ron is loved by all fans and always will be because of what he gave to the band! but atom gives so much energy to the band when they play live and he is also great with the fans! therefore its a very hard choice so i cant decide

Chup
12-04-2004, 03:48 PM
There's one thing I don't understand...
WHY did Ron left?
WHY?
What was wrong...?

p.s.I like them both...

4eh
12-04-2004, 04:12 PM
there were a lot of theories about it, try to search it

summer_guy
12-04-2004, 05:54 PM
ron is tha best

ixnay04
12-05-2004, 11:11 AM
ron has a better drum set
atom is more into the show (more physical)

tough call :confused:

4eh
12-05-2004, 11:25 AM
2ixnayo4: rrrrright man!
before comparing them, let's wait for another studio cd with Atom!

T-6005
12-06-2004, 03:32 AM
I'd have to say Atom.

I didn't like Ron much as a drummer, but I caught the offspring live with Atom, and jesus, that guy gives it everything, it was awesome. They could probably put him onstage alone and he'd entertain the crowd by himself.

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 09:38 PM
im guessing it was more of an excuse to just call you an asshole.. calling random people random insults can be fun sometimes! :)

leo3375
01-03-2005, 10:07 PM
To seriously reply:

I have seen the Offspring with both Ron and Atom (not playing in the same show of course!). I have also met both of them, and believe me, that can make or break fandom sometimes.

Stylistically, the two drummers are very different from each other. Ron seems more "boring" but at the same time he gives the impression that he has immense control over the drum kit and the songs. Atom on the other hand, is far more entertaining to watch and is crazy onstage, really getting into the songs.

In terms of personality, Ron is more shy and aloof, while Atom will seek out the fans and strike up a conversation.

So I like Ron and Atom equally but for different reasons.

greencows12
01-03-2005, 10:57 PM
how many times have we had this topic? anyways, I pick Ron, I'm more used to him, but atom's good too. Ironically enough, my second favorite drummer was the one from american hi-fi!:D

ATOM_01
01-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Definately Atom..

Atom Willard , no doubt about it !

If you prefer Atom, why is your name RonWelty?

dexterisMYman
01-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Atom All The Way!

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Ron, you assholes. Ron.
Im going with you dude. Ron all the way. Nobody can beat a drummer that was with a band for 15 or more years. Ron. But I think my question is why did Offspring fire him? Or did he just quit to do a side project or something. I wanna know this. My friend and I always debate this. And we choose Ron all the way cause in our opinion Ron is far better than Atom(why spell your name like that? lol) But I'd go with Ron. I said that like a lot of times

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Definately Atom..

If you prefer Atom, why is your name RonWelty?
Seriously. Kinda wierd

killboypwrheadjx
01-08-2005, 09:08 AM
atom definitely puts on a much better show, but considering that josh freese is the one who recorded splinter with the offspring, we havent really heard anything that atom actually contributed to. so, i think its too soon to guess. i actually prefer josh freese. he is a beast.

leo3375
01-08-2005, 08:51 PM
…why did Offspring fire {Ron}? Or did he just quit to do a side project or something.

Ron did indeed quit under his own power to focus on another band. I need to send this to the admins for a FAQ update.

According to Dexter and Greg, Ron started to seem to lose interest in the Offspring sometime around 2001. Dexter said that his relationship with Ron had deteriorated to a point where they weren't really getting along (looking back now, I can see that). So in March of 2003, Ron was conflicted with staying in the Offspring despite his strained relation with his bandmates, or pursuing a new band called Steady Ground, which got its start in 2001.

neocon58
01-08-2005, 09:07 PM
atom definitely puts on a much better show, but considering that josh freese is the one who recorded splinter with the offspring, we havent really heard anything that atom actually contributed to. so, i think its too soon to guess. i actually prefer josh freese. he is a beast.

i doubt anything will change in the studio in terms of musical style.

laquatos
02-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Hey ppl
I have heard some storys about Why have ronwelty left the band , does anybody knoes why ronwelty left offspring ? :confused: :confused: :(

original_psycho
02-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Yes, he went to Amsterdam to become a whore. Now he sits in a window at night dressed like a woman and smokes weed.

stathis21
02-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Atom for sure!!! :rolleyes:

noodlesdec25
02-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey DEFINETLY ATOM

He is a better drumer by far!.....Hey and we dont have to wait untill the next cd, in the greatest hits there will be 2 new recorded songs: Re-make of Dirty Magic and The Police Cover

laquatos
02-17-2005, 03:17 PM
original psyko , thanks for the stupid help

original_psycho
02-17-2005, 03:23 PM
You're very welcome :)
Btw, you spelled my name wrong.

laquatos
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
sorry for that psyko , if anyone knows the true reason why ronwelty left the band , please tell me

nickspring-82
02-17-2005, 09:28 PM
umm who gives a fuck about josh freese, why all this damn hype......he has zero to do with the band, Atom Willard is all kewl i guess...but did he drum for S/T? Ignition? any of their albums? so i dont get why all you like and prefer him, the offspring would have been a completely different outfit without Ron Welty, i feel sorry for Ron, and the way he is portrayed, i wish he stayed, i bet i could hear differences in live performance :rolleyes:

HeadAroundU
02-17-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm going with Ron and Josh Freese(amazing drummer)

Dead Cheerleader
02-17-2005, 11:12 PM
What the hell is wrong with you people? Ron will always be the drummer of the Offspring. I hardly think his style can be replaced. So many songs are influenced by his style, the Offspring isn't the same without him.

nickspring-82
02-17-2005, 11:26 PM
What the hell is wrong with you people? Ron will always be the drummer of the Offspring. I hardly think his style can be replaced. So many songs are influenced by his style, the Offspring isn't the same without him.

thats what i said.........................

laquatos
02-18-2005, 03:15 PM
i think that to , atom willard is a excellent drumer , but ronwelty , have a long story with offspring, and he will always be an important part of the offspring . . . :rolleyes: but , i still without know why have ronwelty left the band ! lol :confused:

I don't know
02-18-2005, 03:25 PM
atom is an awesome drummer, but ron welty played in the offspring for 15 year, then I'll go with Ron Welty :D

THEGINS
02-18-2005, 05:01 PM
at first - when atom joined i thought (because he was so different in the way he plays with so much energy) that he was better than ron welty, and was glad of the change, but now ive had the time to think about it - ron welty is the "better drummer" in terms of skill, ye he doest play to the crowd - but he plays to the music alot better than atom - it maybe only subtle things that only a drummer would notice - but atom sounds different in as much as he doesnt keep time very well and plays the count of the beats at a "half-time" to what it should be ( i,e on the the hi hats he plays half time )

but theres no doubt about it that atom is the better drummer in terms of watchin him live ( ill give him that much )

SoMeThInG
02-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Atom is a good drummer...but I think Ron is better ;)

Josh Freese
03-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Josh Freese :D

nameless
03-08-2005, 03:20 PM
at first - when atom joined i thought (because he was so different in the way he plays with so much energy) that he was better than ron welty, and was glad of the change, but now ive had the time to think about it - ron welty is the "better drummer" in terms of skill, ye he doest play to the crowd - but he plays to the music alot better than atom - it maybe only subtle things that only a drummer would notice - but atom sounds different in as much as he doesnt keep time very well and plays the count of the beats at a "half-time" to what it should be ( i,e on the the hi hats he plays half time )

but theres no doubt about it that atom is the better drummer in terms of watchin him live ( ill give him that much )

ive seen him live, i wouldnt say he plays half time, but did notice him at one point playing less notes on the high hats however, most drummers - even josh freese do that!

offspringintenselyrock
03-09-2005, 10:19 AM
I prefer Atom. For one thing he doesn't look like he had to kept in a cage and beaten till he had to go play drums on stage, and while Atom hasn't recorded anything with The Offspring as yet (or at least, none that we have heard barring a couple of the songs from the yet to be released Greatest Hits) but he can nail all the setlist songs, and he is a really nice guy that seems to get along really well with the band.

What do you mean kept in a cage and beaten? :confused:

offspring kid
03-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Well Sorry Cant Answer This Question Cause Cant Go Against Any Member Of The Offspring When I Heared Splinter I Didnt Felt Any Difference Or Heared Any Difference In Drums So They Both Are Same !

He is mine..
03-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Well Sorry Cant Answer This Question Cause Cant Go Against Any Member Of The Offspring When I Heared Splinter I Didnt Felt Any Difference Or Heared Any Difference In Drums So They Both Are Same !
It was Josh Freese on drums in splinter, not Willard.

pOpe
03-09-2005, 12:31 PM
I think that offspring would have to change his name, 'cause ron is a part of offspring.... if dexter go out the band, offspring don't be the same... is the same, all the members are importants

Pd: sorry about my english

foxy
03-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Ron Is Way Better Than Atom Hes Vintage Like This Wine Im Not Suppost To Be Drinking

NMHFBD
03-09-2005, 01:30 PM
i think Ron was much better! Atom also is a good drummer.But Ron is the best for sure! He even has a tattoo of The Offspring skull on the right hand.
i've never seen that tatoo before till yesterday.

Dark_rebel
03-09-2005, 01:43 PM
I didnt heard atom yet...but ron was like great!

nameless
03-09-2005, 03:36 PM

i think thats harsh, ron did his own thing live, kinda laid back feel to things but it worked, as des atoms more "energetic playing" as many of you have mentioned!

you dont see greg k diving about the stage when playing live, it doesnt make any less of a bass player!

StayInTheHouseCarl
03-10-2005, 07:59 AM
no offense to ron, i mean you cant bag on a guy that was with the band for so many years...but all the same, atom willard all the way.

OffspringMan00
04-05-2005, 07:13 PM
rons awesome i love his beats. but i havent heard atoms on splinter he didnt do the drumming.

dexterisMYman
04-07-2005, 03:41 PM
ATOM KIX RONS ASS!! Atom has more experience and he was one of the reasons i really liked rocket from the crypt

imissron
05-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Atom's a cool guy and all, but ron had all the best solos and beats ive ever heard so without a doubt i prefer ron

brothadave79
05-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I hate to go against Ron, because he seriously rocks. But, in this case I have to go with Atom. Ron wasn't getting along with the rest of the band anymore, and things wouldn't go well if he was still around. Obviously that's why he left. I think Ron is the better drummer, but the way things are I prefer Atom. Not like Atom's a consolation prize. He's very talented and he had a lot of energy when I saw them live. I think it's cool that he's really into it, and that's a lot better than if Ron was still around and questioning whether his heart is still in the band.

nameless
05-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Atom's a cool guy and all, but ron had all the best solos and beats ive ever heard so without a doubt i prefer ron

im not sure how you came to that conclusion, the drums, like the other instruments were just kept tight and simple, i wouldnt have said there were loads of solos!

Corpse
03-21-2006, 01:53 PM
I cant say who is the 'better' drummer, i believe that they are both the same quality wise. I would have to say that i prefer Ron myself. He was the original drummer, and i think he is Offspring more than Atom. I do think that Atom is a very good drummer and i like him, i just prefer Ron.

That_Guy91
03-21-2006, 01:55 PM
I claim to prefer Ron, but we haven't really heard anything from Atom yet. And even though I prefer Ron, Atom is a better drummer.

offspring_freak_3
03-21-2006, 05:11 PM
i'll just say about they playing live, cause atom never wrote songs with the band yet. ron is great live but atom powns! :D

jacknife737
03-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Atom is class live.

Ninty Man
03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Atom is class live.

Just see Long Way home solo en CMVC... XD

Llamas
03-21-2006, 10:02 PM
atom is much more energetic and fun live. ron was a stick. no facial expression, no energy.

OneFineDay
03-22-2006, 08:03 AM
i prefer atom, because he got so much power when he is on stage.

i´ve also heard his drumming for angels and airwaves and rons drumming for steady ground and i have to say that atom is better on drums than ron.

Fdsajoe
03-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Hm sorry didn't think you'd be offended, Ron's been in the band 15+ years, Atom walked in what? 5 months ago? Less? .

just cause rons been in the band longer doesnt neccisarily make him a better drumer

pyromaniac
03-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Adam "Atom" Willard is definately the more skilled drummer.

Rufus
03-22-2006, 09:58 AM
I prefere Atom because he looks like he wants to be there unlike Ron and he puts so much more effort into it when playing live. I'm not saying Ron wasn't a good drummer I'm just saying that I prefere Atom.

offspring_freak_3
03-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I prefere Atom because he looks like he wants to be there unlike Ron and he puts so much more effort into it when playing live. I'm not saying Ron wasn't a good drummer I'm just saying that I prefere Atom.
thats exactly what i think :)

Dmarques
03-22-2006, 03:51 PM
just cause rons been in the band longer doesnt neccisarily make him a better drumer

That's true...

rlplaymaker
03-22-2006, 06:17 PM
between atom and ron, its atom......but i think that josh freese is the best drummer on any of the albums

nameless
03-22-2006, 07:44 PM
i just think ron fitted more, saying that he was with the for 15 years so obviously he would! ron wasnt the most "emaotional" live player as everyone keeps mentioning but whats important is that he played the songs very well! not that atom doesnt!

BIG Nicky
03-22-2006, 07:47 PM
im going with atom...he stands out more thatn ron did.

Llamas
03-22-2006, 10:40 PM
between atom and ron, its atom......but i think that josh freese is the best drummer on any of the albums

so true. I agree 100% :)

wazzup22
03-23-2006, 06:48 AM
My vote would go for Atom. Mainly because it is so much better to watch live, you would be lucky to see Ron smile once and Atom also gives the band more of a professional impression.

Marco
03-23-2006, 11:43 AM
ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
03-23-2006, 06:58 PM
I think Ron is the better drummer out of the two, though i now prefer Atom, i think he fits in the band more (that's just my opinion, not yours).

Also, even though Atom has played stuff for other bands... I wanna hear what he comes out with in The Offspring's next album, he might just prove to be a pretty damn good drummer.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
atom is much more energetic and fun live. ron was a stick. no facial expression, no energy.

Yeah, that's 100% true. I don't think anybody could disagree with that, Atom is the best drummer out of all the bands i like to watch live, he draws attention, i love it.

Ninty Man
03-23-2006, 08:08 PM
My vote would go for Atom. Mainly because it is so much better to watch live, you would be lucky to see Ron smile once and Atom also gives the band more of a professional impression.

Atom LIVES the songs

Ron worked the songs

Dex90
03-24-2006, 12:10 AM
ATOM ALL THE WAY!!!HE IS FUCKIN AWESOME! ron is just an ok drummer nothin special

one_fine_day
03-24-2006, 06:59 AM
They're both terrific drummers, i just seem to like ron better.

Llamas
03-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Atom LIVES the songs

Ron worked the songs
I'd rather say Atom PLAYS the songs and Ron worked the songs. But I like your point.

offspring_freak_3
03-24-2006, 07:22 PM
thats so true

pretty_fly_white_guy858
03-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Whyd you guys bump this thread? It didnt need to be. Almost a year old

Ninty Man
03-24-2006, 08:11 PM
I agree with you, but the band always has been Dexter, Noodles and Greg... maybe they never will have a constant drummer, like usually happens.. then I don't prefer Atom...

They have a constant drummer, Ron Welty, and a new one, Atom Willard... so, he's a member of the band... and he's pretty good

That_Guy91
03-25-2006, 04:46 AM
Whyd you guys bump this thread? It didnt need to be. Almost a year old
Someone made another thread and Tijs linked us to this one.

OddOneOut_Bassist
03-26-2006, 08:43 AM
doesn't bother me... they are both great in my opinion..

offspring_fan 019
03-26-2006, 04:52 PM
ron all the way

grunge
03-27-2006, 01:53 AM
I prefer Ron even if Atom is better drummer than Ron. Ron created a drum parts for the six offspring's album. I think people should respect him because of it. Atom just played parts which was created by Ron except the album " Splinter"