PDA

View Full Version : Album titles and where they come from

paulrose
09-08-2005, 04:50 AM
To some people this thread may seem ponitless but i find it interesting where bands get there albums titles from or what significance they have. I have been thinkning about their albums and i know about some of the titles but not others.

S/T: Most bands release their first album as a S/T

Ignition: I never really got this one, there is no song called "Ignition" but it talks about ignition in one song; Burn It Up, "Ignition they call it an obsession but I think its kinda bitchen', I think its kinda neat".

Smash: We all know why it was called smash, beacause this is the album that got them recognised.

Ixnay On The Hombre: This means something along the lines of " Fuck the man", but there can be no exact translation.

Americana: This is an interesting one, on the front cover there is a boy sat on a swing. Well under his arm its looks like some creature, i have come to a conclusion that this is a Cockroach. The reason I say this is because there is a type of Cockroach which has the scientific name of "Periplaneta americana". So the album is named after that, and it also has a picture of a cockroach on the front cover, that is the significance with the title.

Conspiracy Of One: Im not sure about this one, maybe it was just named after the song "Conspiracy Of One".

Splinter: This has this name because the music splinters off into many directions and Offspring try out new stuff. Also on the cover there is a statue's head exploding, which makes the pieces "Splinter". This is the significance with the title.

Greatest Hits: Plain and simply named this because these are their most played hits commercially.

Mannen som blev en gris
09-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Americana: This is an interesting one, on the front cover there is a boy sat on a swing.
It's a boy?

paulrose
09-08-2005, 05:17 AM
It's a boy?

Looks like one to me, but it could be a girl aswell, confusing.

Mannen som blev en gris
09-08-2005, 05:19 AM
Just look at the mouth and the eyes.... I think it's a girl.

But could you explain why the squid arms are there?

paulrose
09-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Maybe something went wrong with the making of that child.

paulrose
09-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Just look at the mouth and the eyes.... I think it's a girl.

But could you explain why the squid arms are there?

Im not sure about the squids tentaces but im working on it.

Tijs
09-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Smash: We all know why it was called smash, beacause this is the album that got them recognised.

I don't get this one, they couldn't have know that before they released the album.

paulrose
09-08-2005, 06:07 AM
I don't get this one, they couldn't have know that before they released the album.

They might have done because they was waiting for their breakthrough album ans this was it. They had been working hard on some very good songs.

T-6005
09-08-2005, 06:09 AM
They definitely did not release Smash thinking "This is it!".

Who the hell is that pretentious?

paulrose
09-08-2005, 06:10 AM
They definitely did not release Smash thinking "This is it!".

Who the hell is that pretentious?

Well dont blame me, this is how I see it.

Jerry
09-08-2005, 06:26 AM
I think most of Americana lyrics tell the stories about Dexter's "small America" --> Americana , small nativeland, about his neghbourhoods and such things.

dain84
09-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Actually, in Americana, the boy represents innocence, the bug is evil, and the tentacles belong to the man, (as in "pay the man", just look at the art to that song) and the tentacles have given the boy evil. On the back cover the boy is gone. The evil has consumed the innocence. Which is kinda what the whole album is about.

paulrose
09-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Actually, in Americana, the boy represents innocence, the bug is evil, and the tentacles belong to the man, (as in "pay the man", just look at the art to that song) and the tentacles have given the boy evil. On the back cover the boy is gone. The evil has consumed the innocence. Which is kinda what the whole album is about.

But what i said about the bug is true, its a cockroach, and its scientific name is "Periplaneta americana".

dain84
09-08-2005, 07:07 AM
But what i said about the bug is true, its a cockroach, and its scientific name is "Periplaneta americana".
Yes, but that's not why the art is what it is. Just look at the man on the pay the man art. Look at his necklaces. Those are the five things americans live for, and he controls them.

forever_and_a_day
09-08-2005, 07:26 AM
smash was projected to sell 150,000 copies, and to be honest i dont think any body could of expected it do do as well as it did, it was probably named smash after the song smash, as alot of bands albums are named after a song on the album, at the end of the day it's just a name, i dont think thiers any deep meaning to the offsprings album titles, just a name that sounds cool

Camilamazed
09-08-2005, 08:29 AM
They're nice conclusions although I agree with Tijs. They wouldn't have know about what would happen with smash.....

offspring fan
09-08-2005, 08:31 AM
how do i create a thread???