PDA

View Full Version : Offspring song - "All I want" for a school project

Manic subsidal
09-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Ok I'm in digital photography and we're doing this interesting project. We pick a song and make a slideshow of pictures with iVideo and then we present it to the class (while the song is playing in the background of course)

Some people chose slow sad songs so they're going to have pictures of themselves looking all serious and depress, and other sad things and colors. All that stuff.

Well I think that's the lameish emo crap, I want to do a fucking fast cool song. So of course I have a wonderful selection of Offspring songs for this project. I'm going to go with All I want.

That song is basically about someone who is sick of everyone trying to push him/her around. It's also a fast song so I'm going to put a lot pictures in my slideshow and make it go fast.

These are the rules for this project. The song needs to be emotional. I'm going to have to tell the class the theme or concept, and I need to write down the imagery that comes to mind.

hm... I'm wondering, what should I exactally do for my slideshow? It's not like I'm totally clueless about all of this, it'd just be cool to hear some of your ideas. I also have plenty of time to work on this. Somewhere around 3 weeks until due date.

I could kind of make the slideshow similar to the actual all I want video. In that video, the guy is running and running, trying to escape everything. At the end, he falls into the mud. Well, I could do the same. Take pictures of myself running and then at the end of the slideshow, I'll show pictures of me eating it in the mud. But in my slideshow, I'm not going to have pictures of myself running for the whole song. I think only during the chorus, I'll show myself running out of my house, running down the streets, etc..

What else should I take pictures of? When you listen to "All I want" what imagery comes to mind for you?

EDIT: I probably made this whole thread sound confusing as hell. This might help -

-Select a song that you enjoy that contains strong emotional content.
-Using the lyrics, brainstorm ideas for the images and ideas that can be gleaned from the song. You will need the actual lyrics - bring in the CD sleeve or find the lyrics online before coming to class.
-Dissect the song into different ideas and themes. What images does the song create for you, what emotions or moods are created when listening to the song?
-Taking the themes and ideas, emotions and moods, translate these ideas into imagery. Be aware of the use of color in the photographs, lighting, contrast, positive and empty space, motion, sharpness, texture, and line.
-The key to creating an effective presentation is by avoiding the obvious. Avoid blatant and simple ideas. Instead, focus on creating a concept for the video that follows the mood of the song.
-Photographs need to be adjusted in Photoshop in any way necessary to convey the message and concept of the song. Filters are allowed, but use sparingly.

Ha here's something I did, I was bored -

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/5913/animation21tl.gif

Sinister
09-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Just use the actual video - as far as I know it's not famous enough for most people to know.

freek
09-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Wow, thats cool.
But what comes to my mind is someone pulling a gun on someone whos pissing him off...

...if that helps

Drummerguy123
09-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a cool project. I wish my classes would give me something like that. Actually, If I were you, I'd use Meaning of Life because I think that song gets the meaning across in a much better way. If you want to do something different, I'd use I Choose because nobody's heard that song and it has a good point to it.

Just use the actual video - as far as I know it's not famous enough for most people to know.

lol That would be hilarious!

Manic subsidal
09-10-2005, 06:40 PM

hahahah either you didn't bother reading my post or I just explained things crappy. Ok first off, we can't use videos. We're making a slideshow of pictures. It's digital photography class, that's why. The slideshow of pictures has to be pictures of us and things around us, taken with our own cameras.

Yeah, meaning of life is pretty good but it's just a little too long. I want a 2 minute song. Even though I could make meaning of life fade out when it reaches 2 minutes, I still think all I want is better timewise.

Manic subsidal
09-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Alright this might help

-Using the lyrics, brainstorm ideas for the images and ideas that can be gleaned from the song. You will need the actual lyrics - bring in the CD sleeve or find the lyrics online before coming to class.
-Dissect the song into different ideas and themes. What images does the song create for you, what emotions or moods are created when listening to the song?
-Taking the themes and ideas, emotions and moods, translate these ideas into imagery. Be aware of the use of color in the photographs, lighting, contrast, positive and empty space, motion, sharpness, texture, and line.
-The key to creating an effective presentation is by avoiding the obvious. Avoid blatant and simple ideas. Instead, focus on creating a concept for the video that follows the mood of the song.
-Photographs need to be adjusted in Photoshop in any way necessary to convey the message and concept of the song. Filters are allowed, but use sparingly.

IdiotOfTheDay
09-10-2005, 07:27 PM
All I Want always makes me think of somebody punching everyone who's being an asshole to them...since that would be too boring to show over and over again, at the end you could take a few pictures of someone pulling their fist back, then a few shots in between of the person's fist coming closer and closer some asshole's face before the fist makes contact with the guy's face and he gets knocked out...that way you don't steal the mud idea...
And as for whatever else happens...I don't know. I get better visuals when I listen to the song, and I can't listen to it right now because I'm too lazy to get my headphones...so yeah. kthxbai.

Little_Miss_1565
09-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Wow, lots of violence associated with this song for some of us...

The most overarching feeling I get from the song is freedom, like throwing off the weight of daily bullshit and doing your own thing. As far as images go...maybe something like a roadtrip? Someone getting in a car and leaving the crap behind them, and moving on to greener pastures.

Offspring7
09-10-2005, 08:06 PM
i agree with what little miss said...and i really like that slideshow you have posted...it looks really cool

Drummerguy123
09-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Alright this might help

OMG! This sounds like the most awesome class ever! Are you high school or college?

Apathy
09-10-2005, 08:50 PM
The Slideshow You posted Is Waaay too fast. Slow it down just a bit. It gives me a headache looking at it.

I'm not sure How I can help you other than that. All I can say is to definately not use the actual video, as that's Plagarism.

Also, I wish one of my classes had that assignment. It actually sounds fun.

scream
09-11-2005, 12:16 AM
i always imagined a guy ripping off his clothes as he jumps and bolts through the sidewalk or something. a man screaming even. make sure to post the final thing bud.

dexterisMYman
09-11-2005, 12:25 AM
i used gotta get away for a drama class project last year and i got an A.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
09-11-2005, 03:04 AM
[QUOTE=Apathy]The Slideshow You posted Is Waaay too fast. Slow it down just a bit. It gives me a headache looking at it.QUOTE]

Agreed. :D

Manic subsidal
09-11-2005, 10:20 AM
yeah yeah, the animation is too fast, but I was too lazy to change the frame rate. I got an idea what to do when it comes to mixing it with the song though.

I'm in highschool. Yeah digital photography is the only class I like at this school and look foward to going. Everything else blows as usual.

NEOCON99
09-11-2005, 05:41 PM
I have a sugestion:

Use pictures of you and your friends just doing things you really enjoy. Like drinking a beer, playing an instrument, playing video games, moshing, laying in the couch, you know what I mean.

THAT'S ALL I WANT, YA YA YA YA YA!

NDM1
09-11-2005, 05:55 PM
yeah yeah, the animation is too fast, but I was too lazy to change the frame rate. I got an idea what to do when it comes to mixing it with the song though.

I'm in highschool. Yeah digital photography is the only class I like at this school and look foward to going. Everything else blows as usual.

Yeah man i just got into highschool and sounds like i have a class similiar to yours. I do video editing, animation, and digital music. Love that class...

Skate Rat 19
09-11-2005, 06:27 PM
hahaha you should do Bad Habit, for Dumbshit Motherfucker part have someone getting the shit beaten out of them or something, those are some emotions