PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 90's One-Hit-Wonders

ichoose90
09-10-2005, 08:00 PM
I tried making this thread before but fucked it up. Here's a second try

The 90's was probably my favorite era for rock music. It was just so sweet and simple, then. It was filled with great alternative bands that many would call terrible. Third Eye Blind, Fastball, Eve 6, Vertical Horizon, etc. The list goes on. It may have been 'the era for alternative rock' but it could also be dubbed 'the era of one-hit-wonders.' Let's face it. There was arguably more one-hit-wonders than even in the 80's.

So, here we go. Another poll. Favorite 90's one-hit-wonder? Sure, why not?

bd007h
09-10-2005, 08:11 PM
The Verve Pipe

The Freshmen is one of my favorite songs of all time.

ichoose90
09-10-2005, 08:14 PM
I'd have to go with 'Save Tonight' by Eagle-Eye Cherry. That song is so damn good.

BuddyHolly
09-11-2005, 12:18 PM
uh well, there was this band called Green Day or something like that, and they had this small hit called Basket Case (?). Well, that was a pretty good song I guess...

0r4ng3
09-11-2005, 12:26 PM
uh well, there was this band called Green Day or something like that, and they had this small hit called Basket Case (?). Well, that was a pretty good song I guess...
That doesn't count. Green Day had lots of hits in the 90s, including:

Longview
Welcome to Paradise
When I Come Around
Basket Case
Brain Stew/Jaded
Nice Guys Finish Last
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

Oh, are you being sarcastic? My mistake.

killer_queen
09-11-2005, 12:28 PM
I don't know if it counts but there was a song called I'm too sexy or something like that by Right Said Fred.

JohnnyNemesis
09-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Lots of incredibly annoying and unoriginal bands with uninspired lyrics, especially in the late 90s...definitely a low point for music. One hit wonders and established bands alike put out some of the worst drivel imaginable at that time. Eve 6, Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, Vertical Horizon....scarily bad music, and I'd like to attack them all.

That said, I think Fastball's "The Way" is such a catchy, cool, chill song. I really loved that one. Dovetail Joint's "Level on the Inside" was really catchy as well. Oh, and I enjoyed DDT's "Wak About".

Third Eye Blind is definitely not a one-hit wonder, but they're sure as hell a one-album wonder no matter what bd007h would have you believe. "Jumper" was one of my least favorite songs ever. Then again I think "London" and "Losing A Whole Year" are some of the best songs ever. Hm. Anyway, 3eb annoyed the living fuck out of me.

EDIT: Great thread, man!

nieh
09-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Blind Melon. No Rain was their one hit and it was off their s/t cd which was an alright album. Their second album, "Soup", was awesome as were about half the tracks off their last album, "Nico", which was a collection of rarities and b-sides that were put together after the singer died of a coke overdose. The good songs from Nico were some of the best songs they ever recorded, but it was inconsistent as a whole.

Soul Coughing were pretty cool too. They had "Super Bon Bon" and I think "Circles" on the radio, so that's technically two hits. I enjoy them quite a bit.

Harvey Danger had some good songs too. They apparently have a new album coming out this year.

Tizzalicious
09-11-2005, 01:27 PM
You'd call them a one hit wonder, I know they aren't: Hanson.

0r4ng3
09-11-2005, 01:41 PM
You'd call them a one hit wonder, I know they aren't: Hanson.
They had 2 hits, if I'm not mistaken.

Tizzalicious
09-11-2005, 01:46 PM
They had 2 hits, if I'm not mistaken.

They had 3 actually.

Plus they made a lot more albums, that sold very well too, and they still have a lot of fans. They just don't get any airplay, because radio's suck and no one gives them a chance because everyone thinks of them as the MMMBop boys//girls.

0r4ng3
09-11-2005, 01:47 PM
They had 3 actually.
Ok then, name their 3 hits of the 90s. Or rather, name the other 2 hits, the ones I (and 98% of this BBS) don't know.

coke_a_holic
09-11-2005, 01:49 PM
That said, I think Fastball's "The Way" is such a catchy, cool, chill song.
That was my favorite song when it first came out, I must've been like 7 years old. I can still remember the tune and everything.

Tizzalicious
09-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok then, name their 3 hits of the 90s. Or rather, name the other 2 hits, the ones I (and 98% of this BBS) don't know.

Where's The Love & I Will Come To You.

0r4ng3
09-11-2005, 02:18 PM
I only remember Where's the Love. I've never heard of the other one. So far, they're a 2-hit wonder.

Eddie
09-11-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure if Vanilla Ice is in the 90's but it's probally the best example of a one hit wonder.

Tizzalicious
09-11-2005, 02:53 PM
I only remember Where's the Love. I've never heard of the other one. So far, they're a 2-hit wonder.

You don't? It was more of a ballad, with a brownish video where they have a yellow glow around them. It was a bigger hit than Where's The Love too. Number 4 or somehing.

bd007h
09-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Lots of incredibly annoying and unoriginal bands with uninspired lyrics, especially in the late 90s...definitely a low point for music. One hit wonders and established bands alike put out some of the worst drivel imaginable at that time. Eve 6, Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, Vertical Horizon....scarily bad music, and I'd like to attack them all.

That said, I think Fastball's "The Way" is such a catchy, cool, chill song. I really loved that one. Dovetail Joint's "Level on the Inside" was really catchy as well. Oh, and I enjoyed DDT's "Wak About".

Third Eye Blind is definitely not a one-hit wonder, but they're sure as hell a one-album wonder no matter what bd007h would have you believe. "Jumper" was one of my least favorite songs ever. Then again I think "London" and "Losing A Whole Year" are some of the best songs ever. Hm. Anyway, 3eb annoyed the living fuck out of me.

EDIT: Great thread, man!

what about Semi-Charmed Life? The Self Titled album had like 4 big hits
Blue was a good album too, which had 2 big hits. It's a shame the third album flopped due to a lack of promotion.

Rag Doll
09-11-2005, 03:01 PM

i remember those. plus i have them on my *sniff* busted desktop computer.

i remember *weird* being on vh1 loads too, though...

original_prankster
09-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Birth Through Knowledge - Peppyrock

SHUT UP...STOP LAUGHING...

I'm listening to that song now. :D

Tizzalicious
09-11-2005, 03:31 PM
i remember those. plus i have them on my *sniff* busted desktop computer.

i remember *weird* being on vh1 loads too, though...

Yes, there was Weird too!

And then in 2000 (but that wasn't the 90s) If Only and This Time Around, who weren't really hits (over here at least), but they were number one on TRL and on ...forgot what the Show on MTV Europe was called...ALL the time. Because Hansonfans are good at voting.

nieh
09-11-2005, 03:45 PM
This Time Around

I remember being surprised that I actually liked that song when I heard it.

Tizzalicious
09-11-2005, 03:51 PM

Oooh, good! It's a great song.

A lot of people actually like their newer songs, if they don't know it's Hanson that is. If they know before, they don't like it. If they hear it without knowing it's them, they do. Sad, but true.

Kerr
09-11-2005, 03:51 PM
The Verve Pipe

Aren't they just called The Verve? Biter Sweet Symphony is the shits. I love that song.

bd007h
09-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Aren't they just called The Verve? Biter Sweet Symphony is the shits. I love that song.

No, The Verve Pipe is a different band. Their song The Freshmen is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Kerr
09-11-2005, 03:56 PM
No, The Verve Pipe is a different band. Their song The Freshmen is one of my favorite songs of all time.
Ah...

My mate has Bitter Sweet Symphony and or some reason, the artist was Verve Pipe. Must be wrong...

ichoose90
09-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Yes. It was weird. They had very similar names and they were around at around the same time. One had 'The Freshmen' and the other had 'Bittersweet Symphony.'

bd007h
09-11-2005, 06:04 PM
personally I think The Freshmen is a far better song than Bittersweet Symphony

dain84
09-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Local H .

JohnnyNemesis
09-11-2005, 11:13 PM
The Self Titled album had like 4 big hits

That's kinda what I said when I mentioned that they were a one-album wonder, not a one-hit wonder. All of the singles from that album were hits (except Losing A Whole Year, the best single, but the least successful one. Graduate got a lot of radioplay too, and that song was fucking amazing).

Blue was a good album too, which had 2 big hits. It's a shame the third album flopped due to a lack of promotion.

Oh please. Blue was a colossal flop as well. "Never Let You Go" got no response from the general audience, and if it wasn't for the fact that every teen drama show on the planet snatched up "Deep Inside Of You" for their stupid love scenes, no one would have known that the album existed.

Sorry for being harsh, but it's just plain true.

ME TOO!!! That song (This Time Around) was surprisingly and legitimately GOOD, and almost completely washed out that horrible "Mmmbop/Where's The Love/I Will Come To You/Weird" taste out of my mouth.

Local H .

Good call. One of my favorite albums of all time is "As Good As Dead". Sure, they only had one big hit (Bound For The Floor) and very very very few minor hits (All The Kids Are Right), but they're awesome.

"Back In The Day", "Manifest Destiny Pt. 2", "Freeze Dried Flies", and definitely "Fritz's Corner" remain some of the better songs ever in my opinion.

billiejoe87_greenday
09-11-2005, 11:51 PM
SR71- If you don't know that band they had this great punk song which was played in loser and other movies it went WHY, WHY DO YOU ALWAYS KICK ME WHEN I'M HIGH!! Fuck that was a good song. Also the singer who many thought was destined to be the next Avril Lavigne who was called Katy Rose. I bought her album, and i'm suprised she did disappear. She had this teen anthem called Overdrive. If you don't remember it check it out. I'm sure you will know the song.

Tizzalicious
09-12-2005, 01:41 AM
T

ME TOO!!! That song (This Time Around) was surprisingly and legitimately GOOD, and almost completely washed out that horrible "Mmmbop/Where's The Love/I Will Come To You/Weird" taste out of my mouth.

Awesome!! I wish more people thought like that. Like DJs. And stuff.

ichoose90
09-12-2005, 09:12 AM
SR71- If you don't know that band they had this great punk song which was played in loser and other movies it went WHY, WHY DO YOU ALWAYS KICK ME WHEN I'M HIGH!! Fuck that was a good song. Also the singer who many thought was destined to be the next Avril Lavigne who was called Katy Rose. I bought her album, and i'm suprised she did disappear. She had this teen anthem called Overdrive. If you don't remember it check it out. I'm sure you will know the song.

Good call. SR71 was pretty good.

JohnnyNemesis
09-12-2005, 11:01 AM
There are very few songs that fill me with as much rage as "Right Now" by SR-71. Everything about that song is annoying. Everything that could possibly go wrong goes wrong there.

Overproduced pop bullshit? Check.

Extremely predictable lyrics? Check.

Extremely corny lyrics? Check.

Extremely FUCKING STUPID lyrics? CHECK CHECK CHECK!!! (cellophane? submarine? That piece of shit motherfucker just threw anything that sounded similar together.)

INCREDIBLY annoying voice from the lead singer, to the point where even an OFFSPRING fan is annoyed? Check. Ohhhh, check.

I could listen to my neighbor's cat being skinned and find it more enjoyable than that song.

FUCKING hell, the urge to kill is rising again. If I ever become a mass murderer, and I'm shot in a blaze by a huge SWAT team, it'll be because that song was playing on my headphones or something.

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

bd007h
09-12-2005, 12:06 PM
INCREDIBLY annoying voice from the lead singer, to the point where even an OFFSPRING fan is annoyed? Check. Ohhhh, check.

AHAHAHAHAHA

China Boy
09-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Yay. Video Killed The Radio Star!
Or not...

offspring fan
09-12-2005, 01:48 PM
vanilla ice............................................... ..not

Relja
09-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Oasis, definitely

bd007h
09-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Yay. Video Killed The Radio Star!
Or not...

That was from the 80s

That_Guy91
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
That was from the 80s
pwn3d 10 letters

JohnnyNemesis
09-12-2005, 05:54 PM
pwn3d? Looks more like a mere correction to me.

Also, that horrific SR-71 song has been stuck in my head all day, ever since I made my post. The urge to kill is rising, and I'm almost ready to exercise it.

I think I might make it my official worst song of all time, based solely on the negative effects it might lead me to enact upon society. Mass murder, terrorism, spitting on random people in the streets, etc.

nieh
09-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Oooh, good! It's a great song.

A lot of people actually like their newer songs, if they don't know it's Hanson that is. If they know before, they don't like it. If they hear it without knowing it's them, they do. Sad, but true.

I remember telling my friends "you know what? The new Hanson song....doesn't suck" and they refused to listen. It was kinda the same way with Britney Spears's song "Toxic", but I eventually won that battle and now everyone (except one person who says "She's trying to be black!") agrees with me! But are all Hanson's newer songs that good? I mean...should I buy a Hanson cd?

Betty
09-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Sky - Some Kinda Wonderful

I love it!

Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy

I love both of the popular Fastball songs "The Way" and "Outta My Head".

Everything else I can think of was not really a one hit wonder.

wheelchairman
09-12-2005, 06:22 PM
My first cd was

Nasty Little Thoughts by Stroke9

you know that band with the song about the Little Black Backpack?

Betty
09-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Hahaha... I liked that song... but had NO idea who it was by.

wheelchairman
09-12-2005, 06:26 PM
It rocked. I might even upload it, if my internet behaves sometime tomorrow.

ichoose90
09-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Lit had 'My Own Worst Enemy.' That was 1999, right?

Unnatural Disaster
09-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Fastball - "The Way" is one of my favorite 90's one-hit wonder sonsg

wheelchairman
09-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Lit had 'My Own Worst Enemy.' That was 1999, right?
That's not a one hit wonder you stupid son of a bitch. That album alone had like 3 hits.

nieh
09-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Stroke 9 weren't really a one hit wonder either though cause they also had that song that went "How many people wanna kick some ass?"

wheelchairman
09-12-2005, 06:38 PM
hmmm I don't remember it. Well two hit wonder then. They sort of disappeared after that cd, and nothing beat their first single.

nieh
09-12-2005, 06:45 PM
It was a pretty stupid song. It came out shortly before the whole 9/11 thing and after the 9/11 thing the radio started playing a live-version of it where they changed the words around a little to be about kicking our enemy's asses. It was also used in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back".

ichoose90
09-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Was SR-71 really a one-hit wonder? I thought that 'Politicaly Correct' and 'Tomorrow' were hits, as well.

ichoose90
09-12-2005, 07:05 PM
I don't remember what year it was from but Authority Zero had 'One More Minute.'

ichoose90
09-12-2005, 07:07 PM
My first cd was

Yeah but Stroke 9 also had 'Letters' and 'Kick Some Ass.'

ichoose90
09-12-2005, 07:17 PM
That's not a one hit wonder you stupid son of a bitch. That album alone had like 3 hits.

Silly me. I forgot about...

Miserable
Zip-Lock
Over My Head
Addicted
Lipstick and Bruises
and
Looks Like they were Right

My bad. 7-hit-wonder.

bd007h
09-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Sky - Some Kinda Wonderful

I love it!

Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy

that was a fucking great song. The album was pretty good too.

coke_a_holic
09-12-2005, 08:46 PM
You also forgot Supersonic - Closing Time.

EDIT: And Lit - My Own Worst Enemy

EDIT 2:
My first cd was

It was my 2nd cd to Smash Mouth's Astrolounge. After that I bought that god awful Sugar Ray cd with Every Morning, then my first good cd: RCHP californiacation. All of those I got when I was 8 years old, I guess.

Betty
09-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Fuck, when I first saw this topic I was gonna put the Supersonic song, but then I didn't and I forgot about it and I thought of new ones...

Basically all you have to do is go through the Big Shiny Tunes CDs. At least for some of them.

JohnnyNemesis
09-12-2005, 10:25 PM
My first cd was

I fucking hate you right now for mentioning that song, and that goes for the Lit lovers. FUCK FUCK FUCK MUST KILL!

You better give me teh good sects for this.

Betty
09-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I made a mix CD back in the day with the following songs:

Lit - My Own Worst Enemy
Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life
Fastball - The Way

(the other songs on the CD are even better)

And I absolutely love them all!

rockangel
09-13-2005, 12:21 AM
I remember telling my friends "you know what? The new Hanson song....doesn't suck" and they refused to listen. It was kinda the same way with Britney Spears's song "Toxic", but I eventually won that battle and now everyone (except one person who says "She's trying to be black!") agrees with me! But are all Hanson's newer songs that good? I mean...should I buy a Hanson cd?

You could buy a CD if you like the band. They're my faves and I don't consider them one hit wonders. They are releasing a new live record in October which is awesome!

As for fave one hit wonder... I can't think of any at the moment.

bd007h
09-13-2005, 12:57 AM
You also forgot Supersonic - Closing Time.

Semisonic, not Supersonic

JohnnyNemesis
09-13-2005, 01:07 AM
Betty, aside from "The Way" by Fastball, which kicks all kinds of ass, I officially despise that CD. DESPISE. GRR.

I hope u stil wan sex me up tho.

Semisonic, not Supersonic
Both bands are horribly insignificant though. Closing Time was catching as hell though.

wheelchairman
09-13-2005, 01:29 AM
I fucking hate you right now for mentioning that song, and that goes for the Lit lovers. FUCK FUCK FUCK MUST KILL!

You better give me teh good sects for this.
Man, those are modern classics. And lit is so lame it's good.

But I guess I gotta do what I gotta do *unzips johnny's pants*

Tizzalicious
09-13-2005, 02:22 AM

That's exactly my problem; "You like Hanson? Hahahahahahahaha MMMMMMBobbbbbb" And I tell them they changed. But no one even wants to listen. You should definitely listen to their latest album "Underneath" or the one that has This Time Around on it. (Which is actually called This Time Around too.) You might like them if you liked that song. I love them. And I stopped liking Hanson for a while, until I heard the new stuff. (Bad fan, I know.)

You could buy a CD if you like the band. They're my faves and I don't consider them one hit wonders. They are releasing a new live record in October which is awesome!

Whiieh, just wanted to quote you because I'm still amazed there's another Hansonfan on here. I can't wait for the live album either.

rockangel
09-13-2005, 02:41 AM
Yeah.There's even an e-card on the net already with three songs from the live CD, a podcast and other stuff :) It's a pity that I can't watch the Underneath video, though. The Yahoo Launch site has changed and it doesn't let me watch it.

Tizzalicious
09-13-2005, 02:56 AM
The video isn't really worth watching, it's really annoying. It's basicly a TV, in a room, and vines, that keep growing, and you see them on the TV, but that's REALLY small, and the vines keep growing and growing. And it just keeps going on like that. Very boring. I don't know what they were thinking with that video.

rockangel
09-13-2005, 03:03 AM
Yeah, but still it would be cool if the site worked. I'm kinda curious to see it, though.

Betty
09-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Betty, aside from "The Way" by Fastball, which kicks all kinds of ass, I officially despise that CD. DESPISE. GRR.

I hope u stil wan sex me up tho.

Well, I won't hate you over those songs, Rick... but there are some really good ones.

The Counting Crows - Mr. Jones, one of my favourite songs in the whole wide world

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion, another one of my favourite songs in the whole wide world

Madonna - Like a Prayer, see above

If you don't like THOSE ones, I'm a bit more concerned...

bd007h
09-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Remeniscing the 90... Gotta love it/

ichoose90
09-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Today, at Dearborn Music i saw the Lit DVD. I just had to buy it. The nostalgia that this thread gives me makes me get the chillies. *Shiver*

Autonomist
09-15-2005, 05:14 AM

Fuck yes, absolutely fucking ADORED this song to the extent where I would plug a cassette in and tape it off the radio, and then ruin it for myself. A few years ago, before I was known to the art of downloading music, I came across a double-disc compilation and bought it purely because Flagpola Sitta was on it.

One of my all time favourite songs.

JohnnyNemesis
09-15-2005, 06:57 AM
And the divide between me and the rest of you grows..."Flagpole Sitta" is another one of those songs that makes me want to kill myself because it is so horrible :(

Vera
09-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Fastball - The Way seconded.

Then that song that has something about the prince... God, can't have the lyrics come to my head atm but anyway.

JohnnyNemesis
09-15-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm comforted by the fact that we can all agree that "The Way" by Fastball is a legitimately good song.

Anyone remember "One Week" and "Pinch Me" by the Barenaked Ladies? Two songs I like and am ashamed for liking.

Vera
09-15-2005, 09:07 AM
it's been / one week since you looked at me...

JohnnyNemesis
09-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Vera thinks I'm hot like wasabi when I bust rhymes, big as LeAnn Rimes, 'cause I'm all about values.

bd007h
09-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Vera thinks I'm hot like wasabi when I bust rhymes, big as LeAnn Rimes, 'cause I'm all about values.

BNL is not a one hit wonder.

bd007h
09-15-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm comforted by the fact that we can all agree that "The Way" by Fastball is a legitimately good song.

Anyone remember "One Week" and "Pinch Me" by the Barenaked Ladies? Two songs I like and am ashamed for liking.

I have all of their albums. They are great. I saw them live in 2001

ichoose90
09-15-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't think Fastball or Barenaked Ladies are one-hit-wonders.

JohnnyNemesis
09-15-2005, 05:28 PM
They're not, but they do fit into the thread nicely.

pretty fly 88
09-15-2005, 06:16 PM
It's hard for me to think of a lot of one-hit wonders, but The Butthole Surfers are one. They have a really good song called Pepper.

ichoose90
09-15-2005, 08:03 PM
They're not, but they do fit into the thread nicely.

True dat, true dat.

bd007h
09-15-2005, 08:04 PM
It's hard for me to think of a lot of one-hit wonders, but The Butthole Surfers are one. They have a really good song called Pepper.

haha, I used to love that song.

Autonomist
09-16-2005, 04:35 AM
And the divide between me and the rest of you grows..."Flagpole Sitta" is another one of those songs that makes me want to kill myself because it is so horrible :(

You're kidding me?? I respect your opinion and all Johnny, and fair enough that you don't like the song, I can see why some wouldn't, but I sure as hell can't see how anyone could dislike it enough to consider it on of those songs worthy of killing yourself. I fail to see how it can be THAT bad...

JohnnyNemesis
09-16-2005, 07:06 AM
I fail to see how it can be THAT bad...

-Annoying voice.

-Unimaginitive, predictable lyrics.

-Nonsensical lyrics.

-Annoying bassline.

-Plodding drums.

-Extremely annoying chorus.

Those are but a few of my personal reasons...

pretty fly 88
09-16-2005, 03:26 PM
R.E.M. - Losing My Religion, another one of my favourite songs in the whole wide world
R.E.M is not a one-hit wonder, but I do love that song.

pretty fly 88
09-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Oh, I just thought of another one-hit wonder. Jane's Addiction and Been Caught Stealing. I know they have other radio hits, but they suck in my opinion.

ichoose90
09-17-2005, 09:30 PM
^^ But that doesn't mean they're not hits. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them any less on the radio.

Offspring-Fanatic
09-17-2005, 10:31 PM
well i like hanson and muffins

what the hell??? HE'S STILL HERE????

ah whatever...hmmm...im trying to think. i cant think of any. but i did like the verve pipe song.

Rancid_Guyxxx
09-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Spin Doctors - Two Princes. I actually think they had two hits but I can't think of the other one.

Deee-Lite - Groove is in the heart

Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart

Sir Mix A Lot - Baby Got Back

House of Pain - Jump Around

Tripping Daisy - I got a girl

Chumbawumba - Tubthumping

New Radicals - You get what you give

Eifel 65 - Blue

Lou Bega - Mambo number 5

4 Non Blondes - Whats up

Blur - Song 2

Yeah. Theres a show here called "one hit wonders", and I watch it all the time.

wheelchairman
09-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Except Chumbawumba has had like a 20 year career.

Rancid_Guyxxx
09-18-2005, 08:43 AM
I don't know much about Chumbawumba. Over here they only had one big hit, that I can remember.

Tired_Of_You
09-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Eifel 65 - Blue

Lou Bega - Mambo number 5
You had to remind me of those songs. That Eifel 65 song was horrible and now I have it stuck in my head. I thought their song came out in 2000 or something like that. Same for Mambo Number 5.

4 Non Blondes - Whats upI'm sure I loved this song when it came out because I somewhat remember having it stuck in my head all the time at school.

JohnnyNemesis
09-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Except Chumbawumba has had like a 20 year career.

Yeah, but trust me, not only are they a one-hit wonder here, but they're probably the BEST example of a one-hit wonder ever. The prototypical one-hit wonder, if you will.

ichoose90
09-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Reel Big Fish and Cherry Poppin' Daddies are 2 of my favorite one-hit-wonders of the 90's.

nieh
09-19-2005, 06:48 PM
POLARIS!! Their one hit was "Hey Sandy," the theme for Pete and Pete. I love that fucking song.

ichoose90
09-19-2005, 07:01 PM
POLARIS!! Their one hit was "Hey Sandy," the theme for Pete and Pete. I love that fucking song.

I don't think that was 90's.

nieh
09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't think that was 90's.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105933/

ichoose90
09-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Wow. I was thinking more along the lines of year 2002.

dain84
09-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Reel Big Fish and Local H.

nieh
09-20-2005, 07:49 PM
You thought Pete and Pete was from 2002...?

bd007h
09-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Pete and Pete has been off the air for around 8 years!!!

wheelchairman
09-21-2005, 01:40 AM
ooh ohh I got a good one, I'm clever.

I like Pretty Fly (for a white guy)

offspringrammsteinfan
09-21-2005, 01:41 AM
fool's garden - Lemon tree

Never ever heard anything about them after that song.

ichoose90
09-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Reel Big Fish and Local H.

Excellent!

bd007h
09-21-2005, 07:58 PM
ooh ohh I got a good one, I'm clever.

I like Pretty Fly (for a white guy)

good one, not to mention they had like 3-4 hits before that. :rolleyes:

Anya82
09-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Silly me. I forgot about...

Miserable
Zip-Lock
Over My Head
Addicted
Lipstick and Bruises
and
Looks Like they were Right

My bad. 7-hit-wonder.
man, you're SOOO wrong. I'm sorry to vanish your dream, but none of those songs were considered as "hits"

Anya82
09-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Elastica - "connection"

Nine days - "Absolutely (Story of a girl)"

Toad the Wet Sprocket - "fall down"

Joan Osborne - "one of us"

Mazy Star - "Fade into you"

Meredith Brooks - "bitch"

Shawn Colvin - "Sunny came home"

ichoose90
09-22-2005, 01:12 PM
man, you're SOOO wrong. I'm sorry to vanish your dream, but none of those songs were considered as "hits"

I really hate letting people down after they think they've made a logical statement but...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47B17D347AC7F20D7993E54DCBA78AB59FE40 F5831D21594192BB345C911D79EE4CF48F9CF3B67CAB7BADE0 2CA45A0A9FC9E457FDD662382DED93&searchlink=LIT&uid=CAW060509221511&samples=1&sql=11:31w67ui080jk~T51

Click that link. You should really do some research before you speak up.

Anya82
09-22-2005, 02:49 PM
hahaha! when you posted that, i thought you were still talking about SR-71! :o that's why none of those songs seemed familiar!
hehehe!
my bad! :D

bd007h
09-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Nine days - "Absolutely (Story of a girl)"

I believe that came out in 2000

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
09-23-2005, 05:35 AM
Butthole Surfers - Pepper
The Wallflowers - One Headlight
Eagle-eye Cherry - Save Tonight
Semisonic - Closing Time

XYlophonetreeZ
10-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Bumpity-ump. Why didn't I see this before? I must now think of all the one-hit wonders from my favorite decade (biased, since it was the decade during which I began listening to music).

Blind Melon- No Rain tops all.
Gin Blossoms- Hey Jealousy is up there, but didn't they have another hit? I'm pretty sure they did, but I know I never hear it anymore.
Sponge is my favorite band. I guess they were a 3-hit wonder, though Plowed is the only one that still gets airplay where I am.

And then, the late 90s. 1997 was the first year I ever paid attention to modern music. It also marked the beginning of The Era of Mild Alternative Rock Bands With Really Egotistical Singers, which included Matchbox Twenty, Third Eye Blind, Sugar Ray, and Smash Mouth, among others. Soon it was displaced by the boy band movement, and afterwards follow-up alternative bands like Lit and Eve 6 had to settle for a good deal of airplay on modern rock stations, although their singers never got to enjoy the same kind of celebrity status that their predecessors had. I hated all of these bands except Third Eye Blind. Actually, their first album was the first album I ever bought. I still kinda like them, though I'm not so big on the songs they've released as singles. Some of the other, darker songs on their albums are really good and show a more complex side of the band. I loved Fastball, and "The Way" was my favorite song for a while. And just recently I've gained an appreciation for their second album "The Harsh Light of Day" which kinda flopped. Oh yeah, and I LOVE Little Black Backpack. Another song I've just recently rediscovered. I checked out some other Stroke 9 stuff though, and I'm disappointed by it.

Tubthumping is catchy as hell. I hate Harvey Danger. And I hate Eiffel 65 even more.

dalaksta
10-23-2005, 07:45 AM
anything by those damn backstreet boys

BACK STREET BOYS MUST DIE!!! BURN IN HELL BACK STREET BOYS!!!

dalaksta
10-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Butthole Surfers - Pepper
The Wallflowers - One Headlight
Eagle-eye Cherry - Save Tonight
Semisonic - Closing Time
no not flagpole sitta. thats an awsome song!

bd007h
10-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Eat shit, XYlophonetreeZ (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17275)

0r4ng3
10-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Eat shit, XYlophonetreeZ (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17275)
Normally, I'd agree with you, but he used the search button, and had something interesting to say.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
10-23-2005, 07:23 PM
no not flagpole sitta. thats an awsome song!

Uhhh.....the thread title said Favorite 90's One Hit Wonders.....

As such, my listing it means I like it.

Errrrr.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-23-2005, 07:33 PM

OMG I IZ TEH PWN3D0RZ!!!1

You know what? I thought about putting a disclaimer in my post regarding that thread I made, but then I thought it would be better if I just waited for some smartass douchebag to point that out. After all, a disclaimer would insult the intelligence and integrity of the 90% of the people on this board who aren't either stupid or anal enough to point this kind of thing out. I didn't even have to click on your link to know what it was.

What section did I post that thread in? Not this one. It's pretty simple really. In General Chat, the very name of the forum implies that there's an infinite number of things to discuss, while there's only so many topics that can be discussed in "Other Bands." So naturally there's more of a reason to occasionally bump old threads in this forum. Also, the thread I made in General Chat was in response to a slew of particularly idiotic bumpings. If someone actually bumped a thread and I thought they had a good reason to (and if you'd actually read every post I made in that thread, you'd see that I've already acknowledged this after TTIG pointed it out), I think it would be alright.

bd007h
10-23-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm not the one that constantly follows the other around from thread to thread trying to find something negative to say to or about the other.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-23-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm not the one that constantly follows the other around from thread to thread trying to find something negative to say to or about the other.

Of course not, that's what you have Lodat for. And believe me, with you, there is no trying. It's far too natural. And you know as well as I do that I changed my sig to say this because YOU pathetically insulted my old one for no reason. I don't recall ever saying anything negative about you before that.

bd007h
10-23-2005, 07:41 PM
you obviously took a joke the wrong way regarding my comment towards your old sig.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-23-2005, 08:02 PM
you obviously took a joke the wrong way regarding my comment towards your old sig.

Right way or wrong way, the joke was too stupid to merit not making fun of you. Case in point. (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12776&page=1&pp=10) And Dave locked that thread with good reason. But then again, punkangel said you "pwn3d" me and neocon58 called me a "faggot," so maybe you have a case.

Also, I've been absent from the boards for most of the time I've had it up. I don't try to be an asshole without reason, and sort of wanted to take it down even, as I expressed here. (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=594425#post594425) But you keep giving me reason not to, so...

bd007h
10-23-2005, 08:05 PM
I admit I made a bad joke. I don't think it really warranted a fake quote against me. I suggest we just forget about it.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-23-2005, 08:16 PM
I admit I made a bad joke. I don't think it really warranted a fake quote against me. I suggest we just forget about it.

Fair enough, I'll change my sig as soon as I think of something else good to put there, but let me say one more thing, and please take this as constructive criticism because that's what I mean it to be.

I don't know you, and there's a lot that can't be expressed on the Internet, but you seem to care WAY too much what other people think. Has this really been bothering you THAT much? And why are you, as we speak, trying your damnedest to prove to Sin Studly, a person who I think it's safe to say you don't even like, that you possess some kind of redeeming quality? My two cents: You'd be an infinitely cooler person if you just learned not to worry about these things. Rise above it.

bd007h
10-23-2005, 08:22 PM
sounds good to me. I'm usually an easy going guy. Things can get to me pretty hard at first, but I get over it.

dain84
10-23-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm a god damn hypocrite..
good job telling the truth.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-23-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm sorry, was my reply too long for you to read? Not enough color? Maybe I could throw in a couple of pictures?

XYlophonetreeZ
10-24-2005, 03:11 PM
One more minor addition. Earlier today my ears were raped by this horrible noise coming from across the hall. Turned out the kid who lives there decided that blasting Deep Blue Something's "Breakfast at Tiffany's" would make him really cool. Even louder, his ambiguously gay roommate goes "Oh. My. God. You are not. Playing that song. No. I have not heard that in SOOOOOOO long." And yeah, I've heard the same reaction to that song for about 4 years now. Conclusion: NOBODY REALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT SONG. They just pretend they did so that they can make it into their own little piece of nineties nostalgia. If everything from the nineties sounded that shitty, I'd never want to remember them. There are literally THOUSANDS of better songs to remember the nineties by.

God Motherfucking Dammit I hate that song.

bd007h
10-24-2005, 04:12 PM
That song was ok, but I can see why people would hate it

ichoose90
10-25-2005, 06:04 PM
That song wasn't dreadful. It wasn't face-melting, though.

Anyone ever hear "What I Didn't Know" by Athenaeum? It's a damn good alternative rock one-hit-wonder. If you don't know it, then download it.

Lithuanian Offspring
10-26-2005, 02:37 PM
I totally agree! That's the best one hit wonder of the 90's in my book.

bd007h
10-26-2005, 04:45 PM
The Verve Pipe shits all over the Verve. The Freshmen is one of my favorite songs of all time.