PDA

View Full Version : what guitar is used in the song smash ?

Luke Penn
09-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Afternoon People,

firstly im new to all this so bear with me if im stupid.

i dont have a guitar, or an amp or anything atall for that matter, my expertese is in computing. i want to play and learn i shall.

I would like to start by learning to play the song "Smash", this choice being as it is my all time favorite song by the offspring.

its a tall order i know, infact a very very tall order

can anyone help me find the gear i need to play this. ?
im in UK, London to be exact so any help would be really appreciated

i think i need a guitar, not sure which one, bearing in mind im left handed. an amp and anything else to play this song.

the bit of the song i want to play is the first gitar you hear in the song "smash"...

Top Stuff
Keep RoCking People !!

Luke Penn

ygokazuki
09-13-2005, 02:37 PM
A Fender American Stratocaster through a Marshall JCM800 amp. Then Noodles started using Ibanez Talmans and Dexter Ibanez Custom RGs, all through Mesa/Boogie amps.

irishpunkrockgirl
09-13-2005, 02:49 PM
^what he said. and welcome

bd007h
09-13-2005, 02:50 PM
what do Kermit and Miss Piggy have to do with this thread? :confused:

Titus
09-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Welcome +)

irishpunkrockgirl
09-13-2005, 02:56 PM
what do Kermit and Miss Piggy have to do with this thread? :confused:
that's what i was wondering

Luke Penn
09-14-2005, 08:34 AM
I have no ideas, on the miss piggy or kermit thingy, if i think of a coralation i shall let you all know,

brilliant so to play the "smash" song using a guitar i need a Fender American Stratocaster and a Marshall JCM800 amp

that reminds me i think i mixed up who i thought played the guitar, i though noodles was the guitarist who played the guitar at the begining of "smash" as thats what i want to replicate, someone told me it was dexter...

so im woundering if i have got the right awnser......

all im looking to do is find the guitar or one v simular to play this song.

thanks for taking time to help me out on this....

Luke Penn

ygokazuki
09-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Well, the American Strat and JCM800 are the actual super-expensive things that they used. There are many ways to get close to the sound - basically, you want a Strat-style guitar. I would reccomend a Fender Standard Strat, they're mucher cheaper. Then you can get an amp modeling tool like the PodXT, which "models" the sound of amps like the JCM800 and 900s and even Mesa/Boogie Recetifiers, which I believe The Offspring use now. Important note: if you are using an amp modeler DO NOT use it with a valve amp. It'll sound crap.

If you're gonna be playing heaver stuff or newer Offspring songs, I would highly reccomend something with a humbucker in the bridge, like a Fender Standard Fat Strat (also known as an HSS Strat). This will reduce noise and feedback. But in the Smash era they did use a lot of noise and feedback like that real "crunchy" sound in the verses of Come Out and Play.

If I were you, I'd get a Fender Standard Fat Strat, a Line6 PodXT, and maybe a Roland or Crate solid-state amps. That would be about $700. The American Strat and JCM800 would come to about $3000. So yeah. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, Fender Strats and Fat Strats - American and Standard - are availible left-handed. :D

Jebus
09-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Important note: if you are using an amp modeler DO NOT use it with a valve amp. It'll sound crap.
Where did you hear that? If anything, it should sound better. As long as it's placed in the effects loop, i'm not seeing the problem. I haven't done it myself personally, but I've heard some recordings before.

ygokazuki
09-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Oh, oops. It must have been someone warning against running it straight into the input or something, not the effects loop, sorry. Still, get a solid-state if it's your first amp.

Jebus
09-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Oh, oops. It must have been someone warning against running it straight into the input or something, not the effects loop, sorry. Still, get a solid-state if it's your first amp.
I haven't seen you in it before but I somehow have a feeling that you're a member musicianforums.com

ygokazuki
09-15-2005, 05:48 PM
I haven't seen you in it before but I somehow have a feeling that you're a member musicianforums.com
Right you are. MusicianForums > Ultimate-Guitar.

Ixnay Splin
09-15-2005, 07:36 PM
The beginning of Smash in Tablature to start you off.
I got this off of ultimate guitar:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/offspring/smash_ver2_tab.htm

e|-----------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------|
G|-10-10-10-10-----------------------------------|
D|-10-10-10-10-10-11-11--6-8-8-x-8-x-8-x-8-10-10-|
A|--8--8--8--8-10-11-11--6-8-8-x-8-x-8-x-8-10-10-|
E|--------------8--9--9--4-6-6-x-6-x-6-x-6--8--8-|

Verse pt. 2 (x2) |e|----------------------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------------------|
G|-10---------10--------------------------------------|
D|-10---------10---------10-----11---------11---------| A|--8-8-8-8-8--8-8-8-8-8-10-----11---------11---------| E|------------------------8-8-8--9-9-9-9-9--9-9-9-9-9-|
pm X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

ygokazuki
09-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey, that's my tab! :p It even says it on the top. Tab-stealing sonovabitch. (Kidding.)