PDA

View Full Version : Vultures

killer_queen
09-14-2005, 08:25 AM
What's it about? You all are saying lyrics are important as music. If so, tell me, what do you think about this song's lyrics. I couldn't find out what is it about.

SkyRocker
09-14-2005, 08:29 AM
I usually don't look a lot at lyrics. Vultures reminds me of a pretty good guitar riff.
Isn't it about lying and changes that aren't happening ?

Titus
09-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Once I asked this too
No one answer.
I have no idea

killer_queen
09-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Most of the people here are idiots. When I say I don't care about the lyrics they say "Noooo, lyrics are the most important thing", when I say Offspring isn't good at writing lyrics they say "Shut up, the lyrics are great". But no one has any fucking idea about the lyrics. I can't understand because my English sucks and there are a lot of expressions I don't know.

Titus
09-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Lyrics are important...
I donīt have any idea about vultures

Revolver-2005?
09-14-2005, 09:36 AM
i think the song is simply about like people preying on you when your weak...im not gonna get the lyrics and see but this is what i think

strife
09-14-2005, 10:11 AM
IMO, it's about the death of a close friend or partner ("lie by your side", "cancer grows", "loaded gun", "vultures waiting" - vultures have connotations of preying on the dead. Pretty obvious stuff). The character is in denial ("all the while, in denial") and angry at the world. He is angry at other people who "pretend to care", but don't really understand, and also at God ("If you don't like me", "If you so hate me").
Basically, I think the character is frustrated that something like this could happen to him again ("Nothing more had changed") and at such a bad time ("It's too late for me to change"). Overall, just about the pain and frustration death brings.

Love to hear what other people think it's about.

Btw, I bothered to reply because I don't think the Offspring get enough credit for their lyrics. Most of Dexter's lyrics have depth and can make you think.

China Boy
09-14-2005, 10:22 AM
We don't need these kind of threads.

www.songmeanings.net

Titus
09-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Strife rox

Amazed
09-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Btw, I bothered to reply because I don't think the Offspring get enough credit for their lyrics. Most of Dexter's lyrics have depth and can make you think.

True. [10]

Revolver-2005?
09-14-2005, 10:47 AM

www.songmeanings.net

thats only if you have no imagination

killer_queen
09-14-2005, 02:01 PM

www.songmeanings.net
Yeah, but we do need threads about Dexter's shirts, Noodles' glasses' size, millions of "favourite song". And, the guy above me is right.

Manic subsidal
09-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Offspring isn't good at writing lyrics

Yeah... and Green day's lyrics r teh best LoL.

offspring_freak_3
09-14-2005, 04:12 PM
IMO, it's about the death of a close friend or partner ("lie by your side", "cancer grows", "loaded gun", "vultures waiting" - vultures have connotations of preying on the dead. Pretty obvious stuff). The character is in denial ("all the while, in denial") and angry at the world. He is angry at other people who "pretend to care", but don't really understand, and also at God ("If you don't like me", "If you so hate me").
Basically, I think the character is frustrated that something like this could happen to him again ("Nothing more had changed") and at such a bad time ("It's too late for me to change"). Overall, just about the pain and frustration death brings.

i think exactly like you about this lyrics :D

platinumpt
09-14-2005, 05:25 PM

Good thinking dude *thumb up*!

Actually I never payed much attention to Vultures, I never liked the song that much... once Noodles said the song was gonna look a bit like Dirty Magic (which is an AWESOME song), so I was kinda disappointed when I heard Vultures.

SkyRocker
09-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Good thinking dude *thumb up*!

Actually I never payed much attention to Vultures, I never liked the song that much... once Noodles said the song was gonna look a bit like Dirty Magic (which is an AWESOME song), so I was kinda disappointed when I heard Vultures.
Did Noodles really said that ?
But the main riff is closer to Dirty Magic, indeed.

platinumpt
09-15-2005, 02:30 AM
Did Noodles really said that ?
But the main riff is closer to Dirty Magic, indeed.
Yeah, he really said that! It was an interview on their old website, before releasing co1!

grunge
09-15-2005, 03:46 AM
Yeaah I won't play yeah
Yeaah Go Away yeah

grunge
09-15-2005, 03:52 AM
Explain me this lines

grunge
09-15-2005, 03:54 AM
I mean what is the meaning of these words.

fire
09-15-2005, 04:31 AM
noodles did an interview when co1 came out and gave a breifing of all the songs. he siad its about being in a relationship where everything was going wrong, and you just cant figure out why or how to fix it.

i read it on theoffspring.com a long time ago. i tried to find it again but the articles link doesnt work anymore.

platinumpt
09-15-2005, 04:32 AM
I mean what is the meaning of these words.
I don't know for sure... but read above, strife's post explain most of the song...

HeadAroundU
09-15-2005, 04:58 AM
Yeaah I won't play yeah
Yeaah Go Away yeah
After "death" you won't play
"death" go away

platinumpt
09-15-2005, 05:03 AM
After "death" you won't play
"death" go away
And what about "if you still hate me, confiscate me"???

SkyRocker
09-15-2005, 05:14 AM
I'd say..."Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah hey"

platinumpt
09-15-2005, 05:16 AM
I'd say..."Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah hey"
Oh thanks Flo, that really answered my question :rolleyes:

HeadAroundU
09-15-2005, 05:17 AM
If his body don't wanna recover from cancer as soon as possible,he hopes it will be quick death.

next.....

platinumpt
09-15-2005, 05:19 AM
Hummm personally I think that "cancer" thing in the song is a metaphore... I don't think that's meant to be taken literally :confused:

HeadAroundU
09-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Hummm personally I think that "cancer" thing in the song is a metaphore... I don't think that's meant to be taken literally :confused:
yeah "cancer" could have been meant as a metaphore.
The lyrics are universal...
You can make your own conclusion.

platinumpt
09-15-2005, 05:36 AM
Actually I'm a bit confused with those lyrics, as I've never payed much attention to them... now I'm lost in all this discussion...

Anyway, who hates him? And what does confiscate mean? Is it something like "take his soul", I mean, like he was talking to God?

RonWelty
09-15-2005, 05:50 AM
yeah ...even in GONE AWAY Which talks about DEATH i listen to it when i am more "down" at Love business "

platinumpt
09-15-2005, 05:52 AM
yeah ...even in GONE AWAY Which talks about DEATH i listen to it when i am more "down" at Love business "
For that, I prefer Dirt Magic!! when I was over a long term relationship, I related a lot to Denial, Revisited.

strife
09-15-2005, 09:03 AM
"I won't play yeah,
Go away yeah"

- Won't talk to those people who act like they care (won't play games with them). Wants them to go away, they don't understand.

"If you still hate me,
Confiscate me"

- To God: If you hate me, kill me, not the people I care for.

I'm making this up as I go, but i think I'm at least right with the main theme of the song. *shrugs*

Idiot
09-15-2005, 09:46 AM

www.songmeanings.net

Wow, just looked at Gone Away on there.

Read some of those comments further down the page...

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=4247

killer_queen
09-16-2005, 07:50 AM
"If you still hate me,
Confiscate me"

- To God: If you hate me, kill me, not the people I care for.

Noooo. I don't know, it sounds weird.

strife
09-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Haha, I gotta agree killer_queen. That was all I could come up with at the time. I might look at it properly some other time if I can be bothered. Anyway, I'm interested to know if you think the rest of the interpretation fits? You didn't seem critical of it apart from those last lines.

I don't know
09-17-2005, 01:52 PM
noodles did an interview when co1 came out and gave a breifing of all the songs. he siad its about being in a relationship where everything was going wrong, and you just cant figure out why or how to fix it.

i read it on theoffspring.com a long time ago. i tried to find it again but the articles link doesnt work anymore.
I saw this interview too, he also says that a part of vultures was written when they were making iginition, and for him the song talks about someone who lost his mind in a relationship

fire
09-17-2005, 06:02 PM
yup that was the interview