PDA

View Full Version : What places do you think Dexter has his brainstorms for composing the songs?

acgc2002
11-22-2004, 02:37 PM
What places or when do you think Dexter has his brainstorms for composing the songs?

Obie2trice
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
When he`s driving in his car

MirandaV
11-22-2004, 02:51 PM
I don't think he has special places

acgc2002
11-22-2004, 02:52 PM
I think he has those ideas when he skydives... when he makes trips like this one he is just having... or when he is alone in his bed...

phoenix
11-22-2004, 03:01 PM
in his head

Tijs
11-22-2004, 04:16 PM
I know he got inspired while driving through his old neighbourhood: The Kids Aren't Alright.
And it was very common back in the days to write sick gross lyrics, so he got inspired by other bands:
Beheaded

RonWelty
11-22-2004, 04:24 PM
I know he got inspired while driving through his old neighbourhood: The Kids Aren't Alright.
And it was very common back in the days to write sick gross lyrics, so he got inspired by other bands:
Beheaded
americana - TOO on the neighbourhood
hit that - on the tv
spare me the details - in a friend tale

more ...

gone away:no comments
change the world : the owner of epitaph
da hui : on da hui surf team (ahahah)
conspiracy of one : i read somewhere that is about russia vs USA ..something like that ..can īt be precise

RonWelty
11-22-2004, 04:25 PM
or when he is alone in his bed...
what are u truing to say :P

Tijs
11-22-2004, 04:29 PM
hit that - on the tv

more ...

conspiracy of one : i read somewhere that is about russia vs USA ..something like that ..can īt be precise

Yeah thanks for mentioning those, and there is:

No Hero: secret
Dirty Magic: secret
Pretty Fly: Wannabees

Floyd the Barber
11-22-2004, 06:08 PM

Brett Gurewitz or whatever his name is?

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Guess Dexter was a little PO'ed.

Why'd they leave Epitaph anyway?

Kitten
11-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Beheaded

He co-wrote that with the old drummer (before Ron) James.
So I think that he may have been the sadistic in the band. He probably had a fight with his family, friends whatever and thought the same as all of us.

As for where, anywhere.

yamabeans709
11-22-2004, 07:11 PM
bad habit was definately inspired by violent drivers always pissing him off and wish he had a gun to fuck up their rides :mad:

joe howell
11-23-2004, 12:19 AM
hehe don't we all wish we could

Lithuanian Offspring
11-23-2004, 02:29 AM
I wonder how Noodles thought of DUI. They left Epitaph because the contract that Brett --whatever his last name is-- gave them was totally unreasonable and Brett actually recieved money if Dexter got killed or something. And plus the Brett guy was going through some phsycological problems. So that could have been wierd if Brett had Dexter's life in his hands or at least the money if Dexter died. Makes you think.

TheHulaChick
11-23-2004, 06:36 AM
If you guys want to know (in detail) why they left Epitaph here's something I found on the internet from Dexter.

Dexter Holland wrote the Offspring mailing list. Here's what he had to say about why they left Epitaph for Columbia. Hey, A lot of people have asked me what the deal is with us leaving Epitaph, so I thought I would post it here... seems like a good place. We've gotten a lot of flack about leaving Epitaph, and a lot of that's because we tried to keep our mouths shut so this wouldn't turn into a press war. Unfortunately, Epitaph didn't do the same, so the only side anyone heard was theirs. Well, I'd like you guys to get our side of the story. Brett Gurewitz owns Epitaph. He's made our leaving the label very public and very nasty, and that's why we decided to defend ourselves, and that's why I'm writing now. We all really like the people at Epitaph and the bands on Epitaph, but we couldn't deal with Brett anymore. Brett's more concerned about making his label big than he is about helping his bands. That's basically what it's about, and why we left. We tried to renegotiate with Brett to do more records on Epitaph starting last March, because we wanted to stay on the label. We had been trying to stay on Epitaph all along, actually. When Smash first started getting big in May of '94, Brett approached us and said he wanted to sell the record to a major label in return for a royalty override on it. We convinced him not to do it. In July of '94, when the record started taking off in Europe, he approached us again about selling the record to a major label in Europe. Again, we had to beg him not to. We wanted to stay on Epitaph because they gave us our start, and we like to keep the same people. We have the same booking agent, the same crew, etc. So we didn't meet with any major labels - not one. Meanwhile, Brett met with all of them. Geffen, Capitol, Sony, you name it, and he met with them. They wanted to buy Epitaph, and he was listening. He told people that he wanted to be the next Richard Branson. Oh yeah, he met with Richard Branson too. It's important to a lot of the Epitaph bands to be on a label not associated with a major. When we confronted him about selling, he denied it. Finally though, last December, he admitted that he wanted to sell part of the company to 'raise capital.' We were concerned about Brett selling part of the company, but there were other things that bothered us too. Like, we had decided early on to try to keep a low profile. We didn't do things like 120 Minutes, or David Letterman, or Saturday Night Live, although we could have. But when we would turn down an interview request, Brett would step in and do it himself, pumping his company. He even did interviews with Forbes magazine and Newsweek. We were trying to avoid being poster boys for punk rock, and Brett wasn't helping - we felt that if we turned something down, he shouldn't do it in our place. We negotiated for about a year, but couldn't get everything ironed out. It's true that he offered us a great advance and a great royalty rate. But the last contract he sent had some big problems for us. It said we couldn't do cover songs. It said Ron couldn't play in his other band. It said he could use our music on as many compilations as he wanted to. One version of the contract had a clause in it that allowed Brett to take out a life insurance policy on me, so that if I died, he would profit. That's when we realized that this was just about money for him. He refused to negotiate any more last January, and a week later, he decided to pull the whole offer. To keep it short, he eventually sold our contract to Columbia. We believed in sticking up for the indie label, and we shouldn't have. We stayed true to Epitaph while Brett met with every major label. Brett says publicly that major labels are bad but, of course, he was in Bad Religion when they signed to Atlantic. He wrote a lot of the songs on Stranger than Fiction that came out on Atlantic. Also, Brett sued us. And, he tried to force us to stay on his label. There was no indie spirit there anymore. We took less money to sign with Columbia. We had to sign for more records to go with Columbia. Our signing with Columbia was not to try and make more money. We did it because we won't record for someone who thinks he can force us to. We won't record for a guy who's worse than a major label. We're gonna do whatever the fuck we want to. Well, there it is. You heard it first... Dexter.

Tijs
11-23-2004, 06:41 AM
He co-wrote that with the old drummer (before Ron) James.
So I think that he may have been the sadistic in the band. He probably had a fight with his family, friends whatever and thought the same as all of us.

As for where, anywhere.
Yeah I know about James, but Dexter didn't have a fight with his family:
http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/dexter?releaseName=The+Offspring&startingTrackNumber=6

phoenix
11-23-2004, 02:19 PM
hit that - on the tv

more ...

about conspiracy of one i reckon-yeah wasnt it on their website that they said about that.no it was.........yeah i dont think they have dexter on the songs on here anymore-or well i cant find it.but it did say there-am pretty damn sure

RonWelty
11-23-2004, 02:25 PM
yeah thatīs DEXTER ON THE SONG - CONSPIRACY of ONES - u can see on this website :D

Titus
11-25-2004, 06:17 AM
One day i read about that
Differents place
Don t care about place, when he have a idea he write

Piedude
11-25-2004, 12:46 PM
I read Noodles say somewhere Dexter was desperatly writing lyrics for CO1 in a toilet to get them done on time..its not the sort of thing i could make up...

Tisiacs
11-25-2004, 01:00 PM
I read a interview with noodles in a brazilian magazine about the song: The Worst Hangover Ever...P.S:i can't translate very well,but anyway.. here it goes:

Magazine Guy:How did u guys get the inspiration to make that song?

Noodles:Actually,was after a concert we did it in Europe, i don't remember very well which country it was, but we drunk a lot after that concert,so we got 'the worst hangover ever'(laugh)

WallaWalla
11-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Dexter probably has a muse that inspires him. ;)

Subsidal
11-26-2004, 05:37 AM
On the toilet