PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think It's Important that Young People Vote?

HornyPope
11-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Please share your ideas. I'll be thrilled to hear what you wrote on your mid-term papaer. And if you didn't write it yet - rest assured at some point an asshole teacher will ask you exactly that. So let us discuss.

Kitten
11-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Please share your ideas. I'll be thrilled to hear what you wrote on your mid-term papaer. And if you didn't write it yet - rest assured at some point an asshole teacher will ask you exactly that. So let us discuss.

I think it's important for young people to understand the issues behind the political parties, that way they can make an informed decision if they want to vote or not.

hereforone
11-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Voting is extremely important because you are given the power to help decide the direction of your country, you may not always get the results that you want, but your vote counts. In the past election there were some state elections that were so close that they were seperated by less than 20 votes. Each vote does count and it is your duty to vote.

Not Ozymandias
11-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Depends on the young person. I'd spend hours to convince a Young Republican that his vote doesn't count.

Betty
11-22-2004, 06:25 PM
This is going to sound terrible...

But I think it's probably better if young people choose not to vote because they tend to have unrealistic beliefs regarding politics and political parties. If more young people voted, Kerry probably would have won. Young people are still living in the dream world where they're being supported by their parents or are living the crazy college life and don't appreciate some of the things that go along with being responsible and living your own life. A lot of people will end up taming their radical beliefs (e.g. many of those crazy punkrocker kids) and for those who don't, I'll assume they're well informed and all the more power to them.

BUT, they DO have just as much right to vote as everybody else and the fact that they don't use this is just testament to the fact that their vote shouldn't count if they're not even going to bother to go and cast a ballot. Don't get me wrong, I encourage all of my friends to vote, but I'm certainly not too concerned about it if they don't.

Also, people who DO vote should be encouraged to learn platforms and make an informed decision, not just randomly pick somebody.

Alright, feel free to hate me now more than you do.

Betty
11-22-2004, 06:32 PM
And I don't care if this is a fake topic.

SicN Twisted
11-22-2004, 08:43 PM
WHat's wrong with radical belief? My country is dominent by the fundementalist radical right, that the radical left would be beneficial? I think young people are the future of this country, so there vote should mean the most. As you said, if more young people voted, Kerry would have been elected.

hereforone
11-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Oh my, the light is shining through the clouds. Betty, I think that you are absolutely right about the unrealistic views of young people. I myself used to hold these beleifs until my first paycheck. Gee, I thought I was earning money, apparently not. My views of the political landscape changed quickly, and I couldn't agree more about supporting those who vote on some sort of platform instead of the ones who vote on what they are spoon fed by the media. The young people in this world seem to be easily swayed by their thoughts of fairness and justice, and not on fact.

Also, as for encouraging people to vote or not I would have to say it is always best to encourage people to vote, even if they are idiots, because voting is not just a right, it's a responsibility.

RXP
11-23-2004, 02:28 AM
This is going to sound terrible...

Young people are still living in the dream world where they're being supported by their parents or are living the crazy college life and don't appreciate some of the things that go along with being responsible and living your own life.

Exactly.

You got MSN or anything?

Kitten
11-23-2004, 04:49 AM
Also, as for encouraging people to vote or not I would have to say it is always best to encourage people to vote, even if they are idiots, because voting is not just a right, it's a responsibility.

The problem with responsibility, is that not everyone is responsible enough for it.
Some people are just not interested in voting, should they be forced to vote?

lousyskater
11-23-2004, 08:01 AM
i'm just pissed when P. Diddy comes in saying "vote or die bitches".
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Vera
11-23-2004, 08:04 AM
I think it's a matter of giving your opinion about things, even if your opinion is unrealistic and doesn't really add up to the realistic situation.

I think the age limit of 18 is good enough. The people might've not stepped out fully into the working world yet at that point and might have their illusions, but voting isn't about how politically aware you are, voting is about your opinion. If everyone who didn't know exactly how the system works wouldn't vote, most countries would have a turnout percentage close to zero.

Young people's opinion counts because they (cliché warning here) are the future.

jimmyjimjimz
11-23-2004, 09:11 AM
i'm just pissed when P. Diddy comes in saying "vote or die bitches".
HAHA yeah. That's fucked up.

ANYWAY....................
Yeah, I do think it's important for young people to vote. The reason is because right now, politicians don't do much for young people. If the politicians saw a drastic change in the youth vote, they'd do more for young people, but since most of the youth of this nation doesn't care, the politicians don't care about us. That's how I see it.