PDA

View Full Version : New AFI On The Way!

original_prankster
09-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Here's a small article (http://www.punknews.org/print.php?sid=4066) about it. I can't wait!

bd007h
09-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Butch Vig is producing? awesome. He's a member of the band Garbage and he produced Nirvana's Nevermind.

Vera
09-17-2005, 05:41 AM
No shit Sherlock.

But hey, awesome news!

coke_a_holic
09-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Is it going to be anything like the last album? :(

Endymion
09-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Is it going to be anything like the last album? :(
of course it will. you don't go from being not bad to being signed and releasing a steaming pile of shit to remaining signed and releasing something listenable.

wheelchairman
09-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, as opposed to Endy. I like their music. I got all their records (well up until Sing the Sorrows) and I think they've only gotten better.

nieh
09-17-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm not a huge fan of AFI but they've had some great stuff over the years. They did get better with every album up until their last thing which was essentially gothic pop-punk from the handful of tracks I heard on it.

Endymion
09-17-2005, 11:10 AM
i was a bit off about the sucking after being signed... art of drowning wasn't particularly good either, and sing the sorrow wasn't as bad as i implied.

Kerr
09-17-2005, 12:23 PM
I only really like Total Immortal and Girl's Not Grey by AFI, but maybe I haven't given them enough of a chance.

HeadAroundU
09-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Sing The Sorrow is masterpiece.
and Butch Vig is amazing!
He is 50% of quality of an album with punk bands.

T-6005
09-17-2005, 01:16 PM
I was a fan of Sing The Sorrow for a while, but it's just gotten really old. Never really stopped liking The Art Of Drowning though. Maybe because I haven't listened to it as much.

coke_a_holic
09-17-2005, 03:20 PM
I liked everything before Sing the Sorrow, but Black Sails was only so-so. Unforunately, My Very Proud of Ya and All Hallow's cds broke last year due to a faulty cd case. I'm too lazy/jewish to buy more copies.

Rancid_Guyxxx
09-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, as opposed to Endy. I like their music. I got all their records (well up until Sing the Sorrows) and I think they've only gotten better.

I agree 100%

Vera
09-18-2005, 08:33 AM
My only problem with STS was the sudden amount of new fans. I know that's such a stupid thing to complain about but it just bugged me, I couldn't help it.

I am glad they're more successful now because now they might actually come to play here on their next tour.

STS was a bit like Co1, it sounded a bit polished because they had so many new opportunities to use fancy equipment so they played around a lot. I like some experiments, I love some songs but in general, it's not the omgbestAFIalbumever.

Tizzalicious
09-18-2005, 09:54 AM
I loved Sing The Sorrows. I love the other albums too. But yeah, I think Sing The Sorrows was great. Less screaming. I only like screaming when I'm in the mood for screaming, so Sing The Sorrows is more something I could listen to when I'm in...more moods.

(This didn't really make sense.)

wheelchairman
09-18-2005, 10:01 AM
C01 was just crap. And it wasn't like they had just gotten a new load of nice instruments, so Sing the Sorrows would be most comparable to Ixnay, which was a good album.

I don't know, Sing The Sorrows was the best in my opinion. Except for the last track.

HeadAroundU
09-18-2005, 01:50 PM
C01 was just crap. And it wasn't like they had just gotten a new load of nice instruments, so Sing the Sorrows would be most comparable to Ixnay, which was a good album.

I don't know, Sing The Sorrows was the best in my opinion. Except for the last track.
CO1 is not crap.
It's Sing the sorrow
not sorrows!
yeeah...It's most comparable to Ixnay.
yeeah...STS is their best album.
"This time imperfect" is such a nice song.

Endymion
09-18-2005, 04:50 PM
psh, i prefer sing the sorrow to anything by the offspring. maybe--as vera said--they were just playing around with their vastly larger capital for the record, but i dunno. i thought they were just getting better from the start until black sails or all hollows ep, then a mild downturn to art of drowning. that album felt like a muffled or somewhat muted black sails. it was the same sort of music, but it felt like it was lacking a lot of the energy from their pervious releases.

original_prankster
09-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Now, let's not argue over something like music taste. *Glares at HeadAroundU* Personally, I think Sing The Sorrow is an AMAZING album. Yes, it lacks the speed and energy of AFI's older work, like Answer That And Stay Fashionable and Very Proud Of Ya, but lyrically it's fucking great. Davey Havok is a wonderful writer.

Evil-Dead
09-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Shut Your Mouth is the best

coke_a_holic
09-19-2005, 06:35 PM
I 100% agree.

original_prankster
09-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Haven't heard that one yet. Guess I'll have to pick it up.

GBH2
09-19-2005, 06:44 PM
black sails on the sunset was good...
art of drowning was pushing it...
but then davey havok started sounding like a girl, and afi became an emo band.

Endymion
09-19-2005, 07:30 PM
i prefer black sails to shut your mouth, though shut your mouth is a very close second.

ninthlayer
09-19-2005, 11:01 PM
My favorite is probably the Art of Drowning, although Black Sails In The Sunset does have God Called In Sick Today. They're taking their fucking time on the new album.

JohnnyNemesis
09-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Black Sails in the Sunset is easily the best, with Art of Drowning an extreeeeeemely close second. Shut Your Mouth is my least favorite one, though "A Single Second" and "The New Patron Saints and Angels" are on it. Those songs make me tingle with joy.

Oh, and fuck the haters, Sing the Sorrow was awesome too.

bouncingcoles
09-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Here's a small article (http://www.punknews.org/print.php?sid=4066) about it. I can't wait!

are you sure thats about the new album. because butch vig produced sing the sorrow.

Vera
09-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Originally published by Punknews.org on Sep 26, 2005 Should be new, unless punknews.org is three years late.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
09-26-2005, 12:14 PM
I can't wait til the new album. Personally, I think all of their albums have gotten better and better. So by using basic logic, this new one should be better than Sing The Sorrow.

original_prankster
09-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Should be new, unless punknews.org is three years late.
The original date of that article was some time around May. It just says today's date on the top of the page, but yeah. You're still right...

Oh, and AFI says it will have a "cold-pop feel". Does this mean this'll basically be Sing The Sorrow part two? If so...I can't fuckin' wait and I'll be buying it on it's release date!

HeadAroundU
09-27-2005, 03:41 PM
I heard at AFI BBS that Butch Vig is busy with Garbage.
So producer of the new album will be Jerry Finn only.