PDA

View Full Version : Why do guests look at such old threads?

JohnnyNemesis
09-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Not that it bothers me or anything, but have you ever noticed that guests look at old, dead threads? Click on "Who's Online" or whatever, and click on a random thread, and chances are that they're from January of this year or even October of last year, and the thread is either a long one, some short one that died after 3 or 4 posts, or whatever.

Why do guests look at threads that no one else would ever look at?

Forgive me for creating a purely curiosity driven thread.

the_GoDdEsS
09-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Hell yeah, I've noticed that too and can't quite explain.

Tizzalicious
09-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Maybe because they don't reply, so they just look at all the new ones, which doesn't take them very long, so they go back to everything that's older?

I have no idea though. Doesn't really make sense to me either. I don't understand why you'd lurk on a messageboard anyway.

Mannen som blev en gris
09-17-2005, 01:32 AM
Because maybe they googled something and found an old thread about it...?

That_Guy91
09-17-2005, 04:39 AM
Maybe because they don't reply, so they just look at all the new ones, which doesn't take them very long, so they go back to everything that's older?

I have no idea though. Doesn't really make sense to me either. I don't understand why you'd lurk on a messageboard anyway.
well its ok to lurk for like an hour maybe, but then its either sign up or leave.

wheelchairman
09-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Mannen is the closest. I believe that they are just google bots going through things as part of a search.

Or this is how it was explained to me on another forum.

JohnnyNemesis
09-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Yeah, Mannen som blev en gris has made the most sense so far.

Mannen som blev en gris
09-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Haha, it feels good making sense. Still, what have you searched for if you're viewing a printable version of "Cut in shower" or "Ninth + _HaVoK = homo love"?

0r4ng3
09-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Haha, it feels good making sense. Still, what have you searched for if you're viewing a printable version of "Cut in shower" or "Ninth + _HaVoK = homo love"?
Nothing I can think of. Nothing pleasant, anyway.

Endymion
09-17-2005, 08:51 AM
i call spiders, same as wheelchairman.

Tizzalicious
09-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Mannen is the closest. I believe that they are just google bots going through things as part of a search.

Or this is how it was explained to me on another forum.

You almost got me thinking: Wow, he really is smart.

But then you ruined it by saying the stuff about the other forum.

Tizzalicious
09-17-2005, 08:56 AM

Well...if it has pictures...

pretty fly 88
09-17-2005, 09:29 AM
People who don't post in these forums just look for whatever's interesting to them. A few months before I joined the forums, I read this long-dead thread about some guy named Fuckme! running for moderator. It interested me because it was a poll, and polls were very interesting to me. Yeah, before I joined, I would look for all the polls and read as many as I could. I liked polls.
Also, when they look at the first page of a forum, they just say, "eh, what else is there." They want to see as many threads as possible and they want to see what the most interesting thread on the whole forum is, whether it is new or old.

wheelchairman
09-17-2005, 10:03 AM
You almost got me thinking: Wow, he really is smart.

But then you ruined it by saying the stuff about the other forum.
Fuck you!

And Pretty Fly88- you are sad.

Strider
09-17-2005, 10:41 AM
I think it's some kind of bots alright. If you track their IPs, it's likely to be something like 64.xx.xxx.xxx, or 66.xx.xxx.xxx; whatever that means, I'm sure they're not real humans.They might be either Google bots or vBulletin bots. I own a few forums and in the admin panel I could see some of these 64.xxx.xxx.xxx online, posting replies that I've never seen.

pretty fly 88
09-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Fuck you!

And Pretty Fly88- you are sad.
I was just trying to explain why guests look at old threads, which is the purpose of this thread. I probably understand better than a lot of other people on this forum, because I have first-hand experience. I did use to be a guest who just looked for the most interesting threads. I didn't visit this website very often, before I became a member, but I did look at very old threads. So I understand why guests look at old threads. It just might be hard to explain.

ruroken
09-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I own a few forums and in the admin panel I could see some of these 64.xxx.xxx.xxx online, posting replies that I've never seen.
That made no sense to me whatsoever.

Haven
09-17-2005, 03:02 PM
I was just trying to explain why guests look at old threads, which is the purpose of this thread. I probably understand better than a lot of other people on this forum, because I have first-hand experience. I did use to be a guest who just looked for the most interesting threads. I didn't visit this website very often, before I became a member, but I did look at very old threads. So I understand why guests look at old threads. It just might be hard to explain.

Yeah i did the same before i joined, let's you see who the assholes are before joining...Hey after all the complaining at least somebody's using the SEARCH button :rolleyes:

That_Guy91
09-18-2005, 08:47 AM
thats because youre an idiot

Strider
09-18-2005, 12:42 PM
"some of these 64.xxx.xxx.xx online, posting replies that I've never seen"... Well, by having read the rest of the post, you have certainly comprehended my assumption that those 64.xxx.xxx.xx's are not real humans. But their status read "online, posting reply". But, given their nature and procedence, I've never seen the replies, which leads me to conclude that my assumption was right, and the guests are bots; this is simply logic. Got it now?

Offspring Management
09-25-2005, 05:45 PM
This thread should be shut down. Absolutely pathetic.

0r4ng3
09-25-2005, 05:50 PM
This thread should be shut down. Absolutely pathetic.
Oh, because the ones you made were so fuckin' great.