PDA

View Full Version : Next to You is the next single!!!

dain84
09-17-2005, 06:45 PM
I was listening to the radio and all of a sudden I hear Next to You come on! The station said it was the new single from The Offspring off their Greatest Hits compilation, and they never even play Offspring! It must be a single then!

dexterisMYman
09-17-2005, 06:45 PM
oh my god! so

dain84
09-17-2005, 06:47 PM
oh my god! so
so what? ?

brothadave79
09-17-2005, 06:50 PM
That's weird, because the song really isn't their kind of sound.

offspring_freak_3
09-17-2005, 06:51 PM
cool .

dain84
09-17-2005, 06:54 PM
That's weird, because the song really isn't their kind of sound.

It's a cover of a song by The Police.

dexterisMYman
09-17-2005, 07:00 PM
So wow another single. Like none of you have heard the song before.

Offspring7
09-17-2005, 07:06 PM
i wouldn't think a cover would be a single

bd007h
09-17-2005, 07:09 PM
i wouldn't think a cover would be a single

Alien Ant Farm's cover of Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal was a single.

Skate Rat 19
09-17-2005, 07:12 PM
oh well thats kinda, whatever. I mean it'll make them seem even more popish, thats the last thing they need, nothing worse than being known as mainstream pop.

Awesomo
09-17-2005, 07:26 PM
People will buy the Greatest Hits because they hear that song, then they will look at the tracklist and be like "What the hell?"

dain84
09-17-2005, 07:36 PM
People will buy the Greatest Hits because they hear that song, then they will look at the tracklist and be like "What the hell?"
haha yeah!

brothadave79
09-17-2005, 07:39 PM
It's a cover of a song by The Police.

Um, yeah, I know. That's why it's not their sound. I mean it's weird that they would release a cover that doesn't sound anything like them as a single.

Tired_Of_You
09-17-2005, 07:48 PM
People will buy the Greatest Hits because they hear that song, then they will look at the tracklist and be like "What the hell?"Yeah because they surely won't look at the tracklist before buying it.

NDM1
09-17-2005, 07:50 PM
oh well thats kinda, whatever. I mean it'll make them seem even more popish, thats the last thing they need, nothing worse than being known as mainstream pop.

Yeah that would be great. Go to school with my offspring shirt and have the fagget preppy kids walk up and start talkign to me about the offspring.

bd007h
09-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Yeah because they surely won't look at the tracklist before buying it.

Jesus christ, a little anal aren't we?? I believe you know what he means.

Tired_Of_You
09-17-2005, 07:52 PM
What. I thought it was not funny anyway.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Why are you guys saying its not single material...its a cover song. A hidden track. I think its a good cover and that it should be released as one.

I am the lightning rod
09-17-2005, 08:19 PM
so your saying the police are "popish?"

peko
09-17-2005, 08:50 PM

What, so getting a little radio time is considered being part of mainstream pop?

Offspring-Fanatic
09-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Alien Ant Farm's cover of Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal was a single.

I F**KING LOVE THAT SONG!

i had the cd but i lost it :mad: :( im going to buy it again soon...i think my fave song off that cd was either Calico or Wish

Wish was great...

Offspring-Fanatic
09-17-2005, 10:19 PM
i didnt like Next to You. it wasn't their sound...and the solo sounded more like a harmonica to me it wasn't...well...offspringy

dexterisMYman
09-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Micheal Jackson scares the living hell out of me.

Offspring-Fanatic
09-17-2005, 10:24 PM
yes, so he does to me too..

but i love alien ant farm..........................

Kitten
09-18-2005, 04:08 AM
I hope it's not the next single. While AAF released a cover as a single, it was a bit of fun. But The Offspring releasing a cover a single says a lot of things, including, maybe they haven't got as much new material as they would like and are stalling.

RobinoZombie
09-18-2005, 04:19 AM
wow, like an altime low for the offspring then eh:(

Telekinesis
09-18-2005, 04:50 AM
hey, dudes, you guys have been saying that Next To You isn't like them so it's not really single material but think about it, all their singles aren't their style, it's like they think if they make differnet songs they'll be more popular coz all the poppy songs on their albums are normally the singles. I wish they'd release one of their more punk songs as a single. Do you guys agree? like I mean all the other songs on their albums are pretty much punk. Anyone agree? anyone think I'm crazy? Anyone wanna throw sticks at me?

Ha ha, just now on MSN I was talking to like 3 people and I said "anyone think I'm crazy? Anyone wanna throw sticks at me?" and one said

My feet won't stop, doing the Cretin Hop... says:
i wanna throw sticks at u

he he, sorry about the random-ness

Evka.pl
09-18-2005, 05:15 AM
that's great. i love the song!

Kitten
09-18-2005, 06:59 AM
hey, dudes, you guys have been saying that Next To You isn't like them so it's not really single material but think about it, all their singles aren't their style, it's like they think if they make differnet songs they'll be more popular coz all the poppy songs on their albums are normally the singles. I wish they'd release one of their more punk songs as a single. Do you guys agree? like I mean all the other songs on their albums are pretty much punk. Anyone agree? anyone think I'm crazy? Anyone wanna throw sticks at me?

Ha ha, just now on MSN I was talking to like 3 people and I said "anyone think I'm crazy? Anyone wanna throw sticks at me?" and one said

My feet won't stop, doing the Cretin Hop... says:
i wanna throw sticks at u

he he, sorry about the random-ness

It's not only not their style, it's not their song. I think it is pretty much terrible for bands to release covers as singles, radio single, yeah, whatever... But as an actual single?

black_dust
09-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Its not going to be a single, no more singles will come out until the new album, just because its on the radio doesnt mean its going to be a single

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-18-2005, 11:07 AM
And you know this how? Do you know this for a fact?

Drummerguy123
09-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Bad Habit wasn't a single, but it got radio time. And I don't know how you guys can say Next To You isn't the Offspring's style. If you hadn't noticed, their style changes every album, so we don't really know what their new style is going to be. Besides, Next to You isn't a bad song and they sort of made the style for that song because the original was slower. Even then, it is better than Pretty Fly, WDYGAJ, Original Prankster or Want You Bad. I think they should release Next To You as a single and follow it up with a harcore punk song.

.:SMASH:.
09-18-2005, 02:58 PM
yer but singls always have extra trax on them. there might be some rare live performances or something

Original prankstA
09-18-2005, 05:18 PM
so what? ?
you cant comeback with "so what" to "so"

...idiot

original_prankster
09-18-2005, 06:08 PM
You dirty rotten name stealing son of a bitch.

J/k.

Um...I was actually HOPING this would be the next video. It's very catchy, and would get stuck in the listener's head easily. So why not? And if it's just a radio single, that's fine too.

Bad Habit got airplay? The radio version must suck...I mean...there is this one part that's got a little bit of language...

Skate Rat 19
09-18-2005, 06:44 PM
uh, well I mean, the songs chorus sounds like something straight outta the disney channel. It's a good song but....

Camilamazed
09-18-2005, 06:52 PM
A little bit late...

Great !!!

=D

PunkRockBasser
09-18-2005, 07:21 PM
a while back in this thread someone said that cover songs couldnt be singles.
tell that to that gayass band bowling for soup. they stole '1985' from SR-71 and 'I Melt With You' from Modern English and Mest.
I also think that the offspring covers are meant to be a joke. listen to hey joe, i got a right, and autonomy and ull kno what i mean. the original songs sucked

Drummerguy123
09-18-2005, 07:45 PM
You dirty rotten name stealing son of a bitch.

J/k.

Um...I was actually HOPING this would be the next video. It's very catchy, and would get stuck in the listener's head easily. So why not? And if it's just a radio single, that's fine too.

Bad Habit got airplay? The radio version must suck...I mean...there is this one part that's got a little bit of language...

I'd like to see a video of it too.

On my radio station they play Bad habit, but they go

"You Stupid Dumb(car horn) Goddamn Mother(car horn)!"

It actually sounds pretty funny.

dain84
09-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Its not going to be a single, no more singles will come out until the new album, just because its on the radio doesnt mean its going to be a single
It's a radio-only single, much like totalimmortal, smash it up, and kick him when he's down. They released kick him when he's down in 1995!

dain84
09-18-2005, 07:53 PM
tell that to that gayass band bowling for soup. they stole '1985' from SR-71 and 'I Melt With You' from Modern English and Mest.
I also think that the offspring covers are meant to be a joke. listen to hey joe, i got a right, and autonomy and ull kno what i mean. the original songs sucked
You dissing on Jimi Hendrix? Fag.

scream
09-18-2005, 07:55 PM
what the fucks with all the negativity in this thread. i'd be damn happy to hear next to you on the radio any day. i dont really listen to the radio here anymore cause its a piece of corporate shit but ill look out for it.

Drummerguy123
09-18-2005, 07:56 PM
It's a radio-only single, much like totalimmortal, smash it up, and kick him when he's down. They released kick him when he's down in 1995!

I've never heard any of those on the radio. Too bad because they are all single-worthy.

btw, I think The Offspring's version of Totalimmortal is WAY better than the original by AFI, but the original was still good.

endlesst0m
09-18-2005, 08:01 PM
next to you rocks. they really did a good job with it.

no one can argue that the polices version is better, but kudos to them for writing the song.

Kitten
09-18-2005, 08:03 PM

You better not be implying that the original 80 Times sucked.

T-6005
09-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Who was that one by?

Voodoo
09-18-2005, 08:38 PM

What Happened to You? also got a lot of airplay here in Brazil, actually it still does.

Want You Bad and Meaning of Life, on the other hand, where singles and I`ve never heard them on the radio... :rolleyes:

Anyway, and LOVE the Offspring version of Next to You, and I think this can be a positive thing to them (if it`s true, anyway...)
It's a classic song, and the first thing that came to my mind after listening it for the first time was "wow, those guys sure have got balls for doing it".

It's something that makes them bigger in someways, you know? And can give them respect too, since, as someone said, it's better than songs like WDYGAJ and OP.

That's my opinion, but anyway, I would love to see a video for that song!

See ya,
Voodoo.

Kitten
09-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Who was that one by?

80 Times is by TSOL. Otherwise known as True Sounds Of Liberty.

StayInTheHouseCarl
09-18-2005, 11:38 PM
whats with the bitching? their cover of AFI's "totalimmortal" was a single as was "smash it up". I think their cover of the police song is cool, because it has a sound of the original, but it has that offspring flavor. mmmm mmm mmm good. and besides they cant exactly release any other song. hmmmmm maybe they shouldnt have made it a SECRET TRACK.
anyhoo, i better not hear anyone bag on the police. :D

notoriousdoc
09-19-2005, 04:24 AM
That's real cool you know...

notoriousdoc
09-19-2005, 04:25 AM
Did Can't repeat even get released over here or did it just not get noticed?