PDA

View Full Version : Mostly Harmless?

thisplacesucks
09-17-2005, 07:43 PM
hey, i just finished (a little while ago) the hitchikers guide to the galaxy series for the third time, and i still dont get it! does the whole universe get destroyed at the end of mostly harmless, or just earth? what is the question, and i know it has something to do with the new guide, but i dont under stand, if youve read the books can you help me out?

ps.........
the movie=the book up untill about 20 minutes into the film, so if youve jus seen the movie, or havent read ALL of the 5 books (hitchickers guide, restaurant, life the universe and everything, so long, and mostly harmless) then dont try to guess! it will just make me more confused.

c'mon, there has to be at least one of you out there......................
(damn strags)

Alec
09-17-2005, 07:45 PM
I donn't know...

thisplacesucks
09-17-2005, 07:48 PM
here, i know that this has already been posted, but this should save you, ALEC, alot of hassle on the boards, watch this and follow what it says. posting film (http://users.adelphia.net/~kamel/Posting.swf)

Alec
09-17-2005, 08:15 PM
here, i know that this has already been posted, but this should save you, ALEC, alot of hassle on the boards, watch this and follow what it says. posting film (http://users.adelphia.net/~kamel/Posting.swf)
I can't watch it

nieh
09-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Just the earth gets destroyed. The story goes that in the "plurals" (i.e. the part of space where Earth is) there are alternate possibile realities that can happen. Therefore, blowing up the earth once may not get the job done because it could simply be replaced by one of the alternate earths from another possible reality. They used the new guide to travel through all alternate realities to make sure all the different possible Earths end up in the same spot at the same time (sort of) so when they blew it up (again) there would be no alternate possible earths still out there.

Also, the only time they tell you the question is when they're pulling scrabble pieces out of the bag. "What do you get when you multiply six times nine?" They never really elaborate on whether or not that actually WAS the question or if it was just the universe playing a joke on them, because the answer's most definitely not 42.

thisplacesucks
09-18-2005, 11:15 AM
but, douglas adams was often qouted as saying something like (i guess it isnt a qoute if its 'something like') "i may be stupid, but even i dont write jokes in base 13"

6 X 9 in base 13 (instead of going over to the next column when the current one equals 10, you use 13,) is 42