PDA

View Full Version : people who speak portuguese

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 02:22 PM
i need help. i am planning on asking this guy to the homecoming dance but i want to do it in a really cool way. so i'm going to ask him in portuguese, his first language. can you tell me how you say, "Do you want to go to the Homecoming dance with me as friends?" if you could help with translating that into portuguese it would really help. thanks!

SkyRocker
09-20-2005, 02:25 PM
That could be : "Você quer ir à dança com mim como amigos".
I did not translate the "homecoming" part but I feel like somebody will tell you that better...

Nirushika6789
09-20-2005, 02:27 PM
someone will need to tell u how to say the quote because u may find out what it is but not be able to say it

i dont speak portuguese so i cant help but i think the above is a valid point :D

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
yeah i'm going to use a portugese translater/pronounciater online to see how you say each word...but for translating a question there is usually a specific way to ask...rather than typing it into a translater where it gives you a literal translation that isn't always right.

Amanda
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Você quer ir á dança comigo, como amigos? Now if you need help with your pronounciation, it'll be a bit harder to do.

Nirushika6789
09-20-2005, 02:31 PM
yeah i'm going to use a portugese translater/pronounciater online to see how you say each word...but for translating a question there is usually a specific way to ask...rather than typing it into a translater where it gives you a literal translation that isn't always right.
oh ok then...u cud always ask him friends ..if anyo f them speak portuguese

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 02:34 PM
he's a foreign exchange student...barely speaks english and i don't know anyone else who speaks portuguese

Nirushika6789
09-20-2005, 02:35 PM
he's a foreign exchange student...barely speaks english and i don't know anyone else who speaks portuguese
oh well then all my ideas are crap lol

good luck with it though

PS isnt it going to be hard to tlk to him at the dance when he can barely speak english? :confused:

Amanda
09-20-2005, 02:35 PM
From portugal or Brazil? Cause it makes quite a difference.

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 02:42 PM
from brazil...he speaks enough english to get by...but i think it would be neat and i would have more of a chance of him saying yes if i ask in portuguese

Amanda
09-20-2005, 02:45 PM
Considering the difficulty, I think just the effort would be enough to make him say yes lol. But, you sure you wanna go just as friends? ;)

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 02:49 PM
well...maybe more than friends but i might scare him off if i want to go as more than friends. he's so cute and nice and his smile is amazing. its hard not to like him...but school just started and i'm not sure what he feels about me.

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
can anyone help with pronunciation by recommending a good website with pronounciations? i found some but they don't actually tell you how to say it through the speakers. i reallllyy hope this plan works.

Amanda
09-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Well you could just ask him to go to the dance, period. Without labeling the situation or anything.

Amanda
09-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Lol Duracell where did you get that from?

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 03:17 PM
ok i know how to pronouce everything except for that e with that thing on top. how is that said. like "ay" or like the e in the english word bet

Amanda
09-20-2005, 03:17 PM
So you just had any random portuguese phrase pop into your head out of the blue?

Preocupado
09-20-2005, 03:19 PM
"Do you want to go to the Homecoming dance with me as friends?"

Do you want to say it like a brazilian would, or just say it in plain simple portuguese?

Like a brazilian: "[his name],quer dar uma banda na festa do Homecoming comigo?"

Pronunciation: *Ker dar uma bunda nah festa do Homecoming comeego?
*pronounce the "e" as the "a" in the word "cat"

Or in plain and simple translated to portuguese: "Você quer ir à festa Homecoming comigo, como amigos?"

Amanda
09-20-2005, 03:20 PM
ok i know how to pronouce everything except for that e with that thing on top. how is that said. like "ay" or like the e in the english word bet
Its like the "e" on the word "bet", same sound.

Amanda
09-20-2005, 03:21 PM
kidding I got it from some website..........What does it say in English?
Something like, " for those who haven't seen it or wants to do it again, click here and check it out"

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 03:26 PM
"Do you want to go to the Homecoming dance with me as friends?"

Do you want to say it like a brazilian would, or just say it in plain simple portuguese?

Like a brazilian: "[his name],quer dar uma banda na festa do Homecoming comigo?"

Pronunciation: *Ker dar uma bunda nah festa do Homecoming comeego?
*pronounce the "e" as the "a" in the word "cat"

Or in plain and simple translated to portuguese: "Você quer ir à festa Homecoming comigo, como amigos?"

whichever one a brazilian native would say yes to. so then that means the other translation is in portugal's portuguese and not brazil's? i'm so confused now...but i'll take your word for it and ask the way a brazilian would. by the way...which words mean "as friends"?

Preocupado
09-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Oh, they're both in brazilian portuguese, but the first one sounds more natural. And in that one (the first), the "as friends" isn't literally written, but the term dar uma banda goes for going somewhere for fun without implying that you'll have to give him oral or other stuff. Just... go there.

Amanda
09-20-2005, 03:31 PM
I think what he meant by "saying it like a brazillian" was, saying it in a sort of slang, everyday way, like teens here do. Or you could say it in proper portuguese, i'm sure he would understand both.

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 03:34 PM
i'll write them both down...pick one to say or say them both and ask him which one is right. and if he's smart he'll get that i am asking him to go with me, and then hopefully he'll appreciate all the work i went through to ask it that way and then say yes.

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 03:35 PM
thank you sooo much!!!

Preocupado
09-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I think what he meant by "saying it like a brazillian" was, saying it in a sort of slang, everyday way, like teens here do. Or you could say it in proper portuguese, i'm sure he would understand both.

Adolescentes?? Eu digo vamo dá uma banda o tempo todo!

Offspring7, replace the word banda for volta, and everything will be fine. No slang lenguage, just nice and natural then.

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 04:06 PM
what does volta mean?

Preocupado
09-20-2005, 04:14 PM
dar uma volta = take a ride

again, no suggestive content that you couldn't handle is implied there.

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 04:20 PM
haha...i'll just give him the three translations and be like can you help me pronounce these...i think this one is pronounced like this...and see what happens. thanks for all your help!

Preocupado
09-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Go for it http://www.offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

I don't know
09-20-2005, 05:09 PM
pay she is how you pronounce fish in portuguese

Offspring7
09-20-2005, 05:12 PM
oh...thanks?!

bd007h
09-20-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't know portuguese, so I'll just say good luck :)

Preocupado
09-20-2005, 06:37 PM
pay she is how you pronounce fish in portuguese

Correct.

And pay day is how you pronounce i farted

Offspring7
09-21-2005, 02:51 PM
well since you were all nice enough to post the translations here and help me out...i figured i'd sorta return the favor by telling you what happened. after all the debating in my head whether or not i would do it...i finally did it. it was not easy, but his smile made things so much easier. he looked at the paper, smiled, and said can i give you an answer tomorrow in his cute brazilian accent. so currently the question is unanswered, but i think he has to ask his host family and talk to all his friends before he answers....so maybe there is a chance of a yes. in the event he says no...i've resigned myself to the fact that this is what he will probably do. but a girl can hope and dream...and that is what i'll do.

Preocupado
09-21-2005, 03:08 PM
"but i think he has to ask his host family and talk to all his friends before he answers"

Ohh, hes in that uh.. interexchange? thing, right? Well, if he says no, you can tell that counts.

But if he asked to answer in a day, either he's shy or he's gotta talk to the host family about it. No would be just no.

Amanda
09-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Adolescentes?? Eu digo vamo dá uma banda o tempo todo!

Offspring7, replace the word banda for volta, and everything will be fine. No slang lenguage, just nice and natural then.
Vc eh de que parte do Brasil?

Preocupado
09-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Da parte onde se diz TU ao invés de você

Offspring7
09-21-2005, 03:23 PM
"but i think he has to ask his host family and talk to all his friends before he answers"

Ohh, hes in that uh.. interexchange? thing, right? Well, if he says no, you can tell that counts.

But if he asked to answer in a day, either he's shy or he's gotta talk to the host family about it. No would be just no.

he is extemely shy...but seems really open to meet new people. he told me being a new person in a foreign country is hard. thats a big understatement....but yes he's in the foreign exchange student program.

Amanda
09-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Da parte onde se diz TU ao invés de você
Entaum tá explicado, eh gíria regional mesmo. Eh q eu nunca tinha ouvido fala " vamo dá uma banda".

Offspring7
09-22-2005, 02:12 PM
and....its a no :(

Amanda
09-22-2005, 02:18 PM
and....its a no :(
What??????

Offspring7
09-22-2005, 03:18 PM
he was like "i'm sorry but i'm going with someone else." two minutes later, right in front of me...he asked another girl to go with him. it was crushing...but i handled it well and i still want to be friends with him. if he wasn't just so cute!

bd007h
09-22-2005, 03:19 PM
awww. I'm sorry :(

Amanda
09-22-2005, 03:20 PM
he was like "i'm sorry but i'm going with someone else." two minutes later, right in front of me...he asked another girl to go with him. it was crushing...but i handled it well and i still want to be friends with him. if he wasn't just so cute!
Asshole! I'm ashamed of my own people now...

Preocupado
09-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Eu não. Vai que ela é feia, o cara foi esperto.

Amanda
09-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Eu não. Vai que ela é feia, o cara foi esperto.
Blz, já pensei nessa possibilidade. Mas, precisave o kra convidar outra mina na frente dela? maldade...

Preocupado
09-23-2005, 02:27 PM
É, ta certo, foi cafajestagem.

E eu vi a foto dela no Photo Album. O cara foi bem burro.