PDA

View Full Version : What tipe of music is most difficult to play on the guitar

Punked
11-22-2004, 11:04 PM
As a guitarist, I'm curious to know what tipe of music you tink is challanging on the electric guitar ?

pie.
11-23-2004, 12:53 AM
classical...i dont know.

as a bassist, i have no idea. :confused:
sorry for the crap post.

Punked
11-23-2004, 01:20 AM
What music are you in to ??

lousyskater
11-23-2004, 04:01 AM
depends. if very fast chord changes are hard for you, then punk will be very tough to play(ex: The Vandals, Pennywise,ect). now if you have trouble with finger work(like me) then classic rock and some metal will be very tough.
________
Web shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Punked
11-23-2004, 06:46 AM
Then if I made the assumption that Heavy metal (Metallica, Megadeath ext) are more challenging than most other styles you'll agree with me. Heavy metal contains lots of fast chord changes & are know for fast solo's.

Thanks for the reply!!

NoodGuit
11-23-2004, 08:36 AM
I think music like Led Zeppelin this blues/rock'n'roll type o' stuff is the most challenging. Try to play Page or Clapton.

rudy
11-23-2004, 10:56 AM
then punk will be very tough to play

:eek: :eek: :D

what a joke, punk is by far the easiest thing to play on guitar no matter hwo skilled you are its easy as hell. everybody who can play a bit of guitar for example can pick up an offspring song in one minute.
solos thats the hard thing, or hard songs that require fingerpicking (like private investigations- dire straits) these are difficult thins , not punk.
evry fucking guitar player will agree with me that punk is death easy

Unnatural Disaster
11-23-2004, 01:00 PM
As a guitarist, I'm curious to know what tipe of music you tink is challanging on the electric guitar ?

What the crap dude, you stole my avatar??!!!!!!!!!!!

shatskater
11-23-2004, 04:41 PM
i disagree with you, sure some punk songs are really quick to pick up, but ur thinking inside the box, now i absolutley LOVE the offspring, but ur thinking of more like pop/punk guitaring. what about real punk songs. punk music has to do with extremely fast powercording and extremely fast noting. now think of some earlier punk songs. super fast and out of control, now i play some pop/punk guitaring but usually its old punk, so i no what im talking about. its difficult to keep up with some of the songs.

Punked
11-24-2004, 02:38 AM
Sure, you're right ! But have you tried some Metallica songs, do yourself a favour and try songs like Through The Never, A'm I Evil, Blitzkrieg, Master Of Puppets. Pennywise & No FX are two punk bands that have some out of control palming & chord changes, but much more simle than Metallica & Megadeath ext.

Punked
11-24-2004, 02:39 AM
Sorry for borrowing your avatar, tell me where to find other avatars.

rudy
11-24-2004, 07:22 AM
But have you tried some Metallica songs

since when is metallica a punk band?????

and i dont say punk cant be hard, but there are more easy punk songs than difficult ones.
so id say some good old rock with 2 minutes long lasting solos are the hardest thing to play, no matter how fast nofx can switch chords

rudy
11-24-2004, 07:23 AM
by the way , i hate punk

lousyskater
11-24-2004, 07:36 AM
that would explain why you think its easy. the newer mainstream shit is way too easy. i pick up the songs in less than a minute and immediately get bored. i love playing fast power chords that you can find in older punk rock. it keeps you on your toes and is harder to keep in sync with the rest of the band. now, metal isn't much harder than punk. it's just tuned down a little more and has more finger work involved. it also goes a little faster than punk.(talking about older metal like pantera and slayer)
________
Laguna Bay Condos Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Punked
11-24-2004, 10:38 PM
I never said Metallica is a punk band, I just ment that lots of elements that you would find in punk could be found in some metal songs. I love punk, not the pussy ass stuff punk bands do these days (New Found Glory, Bouwling For Soup ext) Some punk are difficult, but metal is more challanging.

Unnatural Disaster
11-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Sorry for borrowing your avatar, tell me where to find other avatars.

I made mine using photoshop....

You can use this one though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/unnaturaldisaster/offskull7.jpg

UgLy_eLf
11-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Heh try Toxic Narcotic songs if you want a rhythem challenge

Punked
11-25-2004, 10:13 PM
I have'nt heard them yet, but I'll give them a try.

Punked
11-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks, I'll use the one u gave to me!!! :)

The Cheshire Cat
11-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Back on topic, Flamenco is the hardest to play. Or Mariachi. A lot of Spanish guitar playing is very heavy on fast finger picking, it focuses on using your whole hand instead of just the thumb or a pick.

Speed metal solos are hard, but basic speed metal riffs are just power chords strummed really fast. It's tiring, but not particularly hard.

And punk is the easiest to play. It's just power chords that are strummed slower but changed faster. But changing power chords is just a matter of moving your hand up or down the neck, so it's not hard at all.

Punked
11-26-2004, 01:22 AM
Spanish music is very difficult, I can play one of these tipe of songs (do'nt know the name, just learned it), but strumming & palming are 2 different things. I once red that there's no one on earth that can palm better & faster than James Hettfield of Metallica.

ThrashedThrasher
11-27-2004, 12:36 PM
I don't know about myself but I think I'm demented but I can't play slow paced or medium paced shit on guitar, it has to be fast and complicated otherwise I lose timing ah, and I don't like playing the same thing as the other guitarist does I get confused, usually why I play rhythm rather than lead.

Punked
11-29-2004, 10:36 PM
How many CD's does DOPE have ? I only recentley heard them & I totally dig them !!

wheelchairman
11-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Flamenco is difficult, working on that for Spanish class at the moment, anything folk in the general though is difficult, although once you get it down then you have it down.

ThatOneGuy123
11-29-2004, 11:46 PM
In my say the hardest to play on guitar is not that much for me being the awsome guitarist i am but I have trouble playing really fast stuff and Spanish music i fucking hate it ah fuck you spaniard people!!!

Kris_is_a_fish
11-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Anything involving fast chords is hard! (I usually play bass)
classical music i also really hard!

lousyskater
11-30-2004, 10:28 AM
i have a lot of trouble keeping a slow pace more than a fast one. i always lose my place when i play slow shit.

The Cheshire Cat
11-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Flamenco is difficult, working on that for Spanish class at the moment, anything folk in the general though is difficult, although once you get it down then you have it down.

Yeah, the hardest part about using all your fingers for folk or classical stuff is learning how to do it after you've been using a pick for years. It's not really hard if you learned it when you were just learning how to play, but if you've been playing for a long time it's hard to learn, because it's very different from just regular picking.

Any sort of "Hard" guitar playing is really just a practice issue. If you keep doing the same thing over and over again, eventually it becomes easy. When I first started playing I couldn't play Yellow Submarine, it has a lot of fast chord changes. Now I can't even imagine why I thought it was hard at one point.

neocon58
12-01-2004, 01:30 AM
i learnt powerchords before i learnt normal chords, so i find normal chords hard, but any super-fast rock music i am fine with.

Punked
12-01-2004, 05:03 AM
All my chords are fine, I only struggle with the normal C chord

samr
12-01-2004, 05:43 AM
All my chords are fine, I only struggle with the normal C chord

So you know every chord, and can play it perfectly, except for C? kudos...

Trip Boy
12-01-2004, 05:45 AM
I would go with Jazz, may god eat your soul.

UgLy_eLf
12-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Many different and fast muting patterns, which is difficult for some people, Chestire.

L2L1
12-01-2004, 01:44 PM
I think the most difficult is those songs you get out of the books. Mainly becuase you loose consentration. I meen who wants to play twinkle little star?

The Talking Pie
12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Spanish, without a doubt. With classical/metal solos you just have to be able to master scales and be fast, which also covers most rock/punk/etc.

Germ
12-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Jazz, Hands Down. :cool:

bodoms child
02-11-2008, 02:48 AM
I'm sorry but you guys are wrong, metallica, nofx etc. don't have anything on melodic death metal mathcore etc. and no one plays better than yngwie malmsteen and as a band's guitarist next comes alexi laiho, they are gods among children.

Harnum
02-11-2008, 04:17 AM
Please don't bump 3 year old threads. It's not cool. This discussion was already finished and long dead.

mrconeman
02-11-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm sorry but you guys are wrong, metallica, nofx etc. don't have anything on melodic death metal mathcore etc. and no one plays better than yngwie malmsteen and as a band's guitarist next comes alexi laiho, they are gods among children.
hahahaha.

Anyway, yeah, don't bump age old threads, besides the *actual* correct answer is Classical and Flamenco fingerstyle.

The Talking Pie
02-11-2008, 10:52 AM

Anyone can play that shit if they're fast enough. Yngwie's impressive, but after one song you realise it's all lacking in melody, and that's what's difficult.

coke_a_holic
02-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I would say jazz guitar is the most difficult, but I'm uninterested in classical and flamenco, so my opinion is really biased. Learning chord changes that seem nearly random and improvising over them is challenging, but definitely rewarding.

Blackball_
02-11-2008, 02:54 PM
the hardest is whatever your not used to.

if someone learned playing pop songs on a guitar, theyre going to have a hard time with classical or flamenco.

if someone learned via either of those, they might have a hard time flatpicking with a lot of string skips like in a country song.

the person that learned playing those songs may have a hard time playing the pop song with not much happening except dreary chord changes....

blah blah etc.

T-6005
02-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Penis guitar is the hardest.

mrconeman
02-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Only if you're a fag.
I only play slide with my penis.

T-6005
02-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Only if you're a fag.
I only play slide with my penis.
I like to multitap with my talented appendage.

German Andres
02-14-2008, 11:28 AM
:eek: :eek: :D

what a joke, punk is by far the easiest thing to play on guitar no matter hwo skilled you are its easy as hell. everybody who can play a bit of guitar for example can pick up an offspring song in one minute.
solos thats the hard thing, or hard songs that require fingerpicking (like private investigations- dire straits) these are difficult thins , not punk.
evry fucking guitar player will agree with me that punk is death easy

Of course dude. Punk is extremely boring and easy. Can`t compare Metallica with a 2 minutes (or less) punk song. In fact, among heavy metal, Metallica isn`t that difficult either, the only thing is that they are very long, and with all the palm mutes and the rythm you get tired easily.

Don`t bother to say that punk is difficult, if that`s the case you need serious help with the guitar (I don`t intend to offend anybody :D ). There is awesome classical stuff around, or try the SILENT HILL games soundtrack, that`s real amazing. Led Zeppelin as well, try fingerpicking (I find it a real challenge on the electric guitar, but with the acoustic I think I` pretty good).

Try arpeggios, they sound awesome and it helps you a lot with the soloing stuff. And learn musica theory, don`t get stuck with the 3 notes powerchord.