PDA

View Full Version : The Sex Pistols were terrible

wheelchairman
09-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Seriously. I get the sinking sensation that you people only like them because every other punk says they are the grandfathers of punk (oh the irony of that....)

But let's face it, the Sex Pistols were the original manufactured band. Stealing the creativity of a burgeoning genre solely for the profit of the man who put them together.

Besides, The Clash were superior in every way, lyrically, instrumentally etc.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Seriously. I get the sinking sensation that you people only like them because every other punk says they are the grandfathers of punk (oh the irony of that....)

But let's face it, the Sex Pistols were the original manufactured band. Stealing the creativity of a burgeoning genre solely for the profit of the man who put them together.

I agree with you about all of this..

I dislike the sex pistols as shit on toast.

I like the clash as beacon on toast :)

Autonomist
09-21-2005, 12:55 AM
I agree to the fullest extent. I've always despised the Sex Pistols, and have never believed that anyone who claims to love their music can be telling the truth. All image, no talent.

Jebus
09-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Back when I went through my "punk phase" I tried to like them just because they were punk. Everybody said they were gods but I could never get into them.

BREAK
09-21-2005, 02:50 AM
It's been said before.

PIL were pretty good, though.

SkyRocker
09-21-2005, 02:55 AM
They're said to be a major punk group but indeed i only like "Anarchy In The UK", "God Save The Queen" and their "My Way" cover.

That_Guy91
09-21-2005, 03:20 AM
i like their music, but the lyrics were kind of idiotic

Vera
09-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Amen.

Plus they were formed by their manager if my knowledge serves me correctly, which is something that's done with popbands nowadays.

Sin Studly
09-21-2005, 07:36 AM
I still like Sids cover of 'My Way'. But yeah, fuck that grandfathers of punk argument. I hate when somebody says "Liek, omg, sex pistols invented punk" and you say "No, the stooges did" and they're like "wtf is that?"

Ugh, punk kids need to die.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-21-2005, 08:30 AM
I still like Sids cover of 'My Way'. But yeah, fuck that grandfathers of punk argument. I hate when somebody says "Liek, omg, sex pistols invented punk" and you say "No, the stooges did" and they're like "wtf is that?"

Ugh, punk kids need to die.

Real punk kids don't have to die but fuck the wankers :D

Spork
09-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Indeed.

London Calling > Never Mind the Bollocks

Yatesy
09-21-2005, 09:51 AM

You make a good point, I hate it when people just like a band just because they are the grandfathers of a genere or something like that.

Kerr
09-21-2005, 01:21 PM
They're OK, but I am really getting fed up of them now. Their music, really is just, well, stupid.

There are still some fairly decent tracks off The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle (and I like the film), but they're definately not the Grandfathers of punk. All they really did at the end of the day was shout down a microphone.

Although, musically, I wouldn't say the Clash are punk, their music is ultimately better and talented. The Clash are great!

coke_a_holic
09-21-2005, 02:31 PM
The Clash > Most bands

Kerr
09-21-2005, 02:36 PM
The Clash > Most bands
Especially The Offspring.

I am really starting to dislike them to the point where dog shit > The Offspring. It is reaching that point, anyway.

~*hit_that*~
09-21-2005, 02:39 PM
I like some Sex Pistols stuff, but the Clash are WAY better. Anyday! And the Stooges're pretty cool from what I've heard (which aint much) LOL

Kerr
09-21-2005, 02:48 PM
I like some Sex Pistols stuff, but the Clash are WAY better. Anyday! And the Stooges're pretty cool from what I've heard (which aint much) LOL
I ain't heard much of them, but I Got A Right is a good song. Offspring's cover could have been worse, in my opinion.

wheelchairman
09-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Oh the Offspring are alright. I just stopped listening to them for 2 years, and now I think Americana is an alright album. Plenty of stuff to sing along to.

barangatang
09-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I completely agree with you on everything.

The clash was such a more musical, and talented band.

The sex pistols had very little musical talent.

HeadAroundU
09-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I ain't heard much of them, but I Got A Right is a good song. Offspring's cover could have been worse, in my opinion.
Stop that!
Don't sue them,you have no fucking taste in music...everybody knows...
If you don't like them keep it for yourself.
It's not intelligent and wise at The offspring BBS

I've got some joke!
Do you know why the gooks are yellow?
because they pee against the wind.

That_Guy91
09-21-2005, 03:40 PM
I completely agree with you on everything.

The clash was such a more musical, and talented band.

The sex pistols had very little musical talent.
they could play ok, especailly compared to the ramones. but yes, the clash kicked ass.

barangatang
09-21-2005, 03:42 PM
they could play ok, especailly compared to the ramones. but yes, the clash kicked ass.

Agreed.

What is your favorite clash song?

And yes, the ramones had the musical talent of about 1 and 1/2 of a muffin.

That_Guy91
09-21-2005, 03:43 PM
well i dont have the first album yet, so london calling.

barangatang
09-21-2005, 03:44 PM
well i dont have the first album yet, so london calling.

London calling is a fucking great song, but after a while it gets a wee bit boring. I'd say my favorite song is rudy can't fail.

.:SMASH:.
09-21-2005, 03:47 PM

you were terrible

original_prankster
09-21-2005, 03:49 PM
The only song I like by Sex Pistols is Anarchy In The UK. I bought their CD for that song, and I don't really like the rest of it. They're okay, but they aren't great.

PFFT. Omg. The riffs the Ramones used on self-titled were all COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM EACHOTHER!1!!!Shiftone!1!!evelvin!!!1!@

The Ramones may not be the best, but they're fun to listen to. Beat On The Brat is my cousin's theme song. :D

That_Guy91
09-21-2005, 03:51 PM
The only song I like by Sex Pistols is Anarchy In The UK. I bought their CD for that song, and I don't really like the rest of it. They're okay, but they aren't great.

PFFT. Omg. The riffs the Ramones used on self-titled were all COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM EACHOTHER!1!!!Shiftone!1!!evelvin!!!1!@

The Ramones may not be the best, but they're fun to listen to. Beat On The Brat is my cousin's theme song. :D
i didnt say they were bad, only that they didnt play riffs as complicated as the sex pistols or the clash.

you were terrible
clever

original_prankster
09-21-2005, 03:56 PM
I know. I was just saying what I thought about 'em.

Heh. God Save The Queen is an alright song, too..

platinumpt
09-21-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't give a fuck about who are the grandfathers of punk, or whatever: if a band sounds good to me, then that's enough. The hystorical background of them is the less important, therefore I don't count it as a valid argument to like/dislike the band.

But I DO like sex pistols, I had nevermind the bollocks, and listened to it for a while... until my car radio was stolen, with the CD inside. It's fucked up, I know. Don't worry, I borrowed another from a friend a few years ago, so I have it again!

T-6005
09-21-2005, 04:54 PM
i didnt say they were bad, only that they didnt play riffs as complicated as the sex pistols or the clash.

"As complicated as the sex pistols?"

Do you realize what that means?

That_Guy91
09-21-2005, 04:57 PM
"As complicated as the sex pistols?"

Do you realize what that means?
i meant that the ramones played simpler music then the sex pistols or the clash did.

platinumpt
09-21-2005, 04:58 PM
complicated riffs = fucking awesome kick ass songs?!?!?! :confused: NEVER.

EDIT: Take a few songs of The OFfspring from their ignition album. Most riffs are very easy. And they're MUCH better than a few of their newest songs, more "complicated" and much more elaborated.

T-6005
09-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Hope you weren't talking to me - I realize that complex riffs do not a good song make. I was just saying that the expression "More complicated than the sex pistols" honestly doesn't leave a lot to be desired.

That_Guy91
09-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Hope you weren't talking to me - I realize that complex riffs do not a good song make. I was just saying that the expression "More complicated than the sex pistols" honestly doesn't leave a lot to be desired.
yeah, sorry about that. anyway, i know that complicated riffs dont make a good song, but im just pointing out that the sex pistols didnt suck as individual musicians.

T-6005
09-21-2005, 05:22 PM
yeah, sorry about that. anyway, i know that complicated riffs dont make a good song, but im just pointing out that the sex pistols didnt suck as individual musicians.

Haha, Sid Vicious was a brilliant bassist in every sense of the word, I'm sure.

That_Guy91
09-21-2005, 05:37 PM
well he sucked, but glen matlock (pre-vicious) was good. and, as you can hear on the album, steve jones is a decent bassist too.

GBH2
09-21-2005, 05:43 PM
sid vicous sucks [sucked] at singing.

platinumpt
09-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Of course not! I was referring to That_Guy91.

Eddie
09-21-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't like punk music reallt much but they are great for their kind of music.

T-6005
09-21-2005, 10:37 PM
well he sucked, but glen matlock (pre-vicious) was good. and, as you can hear on the album, steve jones is a decent bassist too.

Playing Sex pistols bass doesn't make one a decent bassist. Far from it. No matter whether it was steve jones or not. Glen Matlock could play his instrument. That's about the best that can be said.

leavesonline
09-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Let's be honest, it wouldn't have mattered if Sid played the sodding triangle, that wasn't the reason he was there... If they wanted someone who could actually *play* the bass, they wouldn't have got him...

T-6005
09-21-2005, 10:40 PM
I think we all agreed on that a while ago... it's the basic premise for talking about bass in the sex pistols. Everyone knows he couldn't play worth two shits. Or even one.

Kerr
09-22-2005, 01:46 AM
Stop that!
Don't sue them,you have no fucking taste in music wah wah wah.

Stop whining. I never said I disliked them, just that I am going off them. Iggy Pop's original of I Got A Right is MUCH better than a lot of Offspring songs.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Shut up, mutant face.

Not Ozymandias
09-22-2005, 01:52 AM
You all fail at life, the Pistols were fucking beautiful. If not being able to hold The Clash's jock makes one terrible then all but 5 bands in music history were terrible. For shame, this is the oldest, lamest, "See, Matt, you don't know the history of punk; I do", argument. And it was bullshit the first time too.

HeadAroundU
09-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Especially The Offspring.

I am really starting to dislike them to the point where dog shit > The Offspring. It is reaching that point, anyway.
dog shit > The offspring
It's simply unintelligent, rude, dumb, inappropriate,immature....etc

I'm not whining.I'm simply telling you are dumb gook.

Again!
If you don't like anything about offspring keep it for yourself.

Not Ozymandias
09-22-2005, 03:16 AM
This message is hidden because HeadAroundU is on your ignore list.
Shut up, ugly. Nobody likes you.

HeadAroundU
09-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Nobody likes me.
This crap is hidden because it is on your ignore list.

the_offsprings_monkey
09-22-2005, 08:48 AM

Man these bands were rockin back in the day and could still show other bands a thing or two. Hll they probaly cause skool the offspring

wheelchairman
09-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Ozy, I seriously tried to like the Sex Pistols back when I was going through a punk phase. I have like 3 of their albums. And it's just terrible. I don't care who was first or did what, it's just not good to listen to. At all.

The Offspring's Monkey, what the hell are you trying to say?

Kerr
09-22-2005, 01:13 PM
It's simply unintelligent, rude, dumb, inappropriate,immature....etc
I wasn't trying to be funny - it is only an opinion. And I have stated that it's an opinion about a million times. Bladdy hell bollocks, it ain't hard, you fucking prat.

I'm not whining.I'm simply telling you that you are a dumb gook.
And you're an ugly mutant-faced cunt, and I feel sorry for any Slavs who have faggots like you in their country.

If you don't like anything about offspring keep it for yourself.
I think people should be allowed to express their opinions. There is NOTHING perfect about any band, be it Metallica, the RHCP or even (in fact, especially) the Offspring. Like I said, I am going off them and yes, I have said a few negative things about them, but I don't hate them. If you are such an oversensitive shallow prick who can't except other people's opinions, or don't even have the courtesy to ignore them if they do say anything bad about your precious pop-punk band (it is the internet after all, faggot), you have no right to instruct other people, look down on them, or judge their intelligence.

Jeez, I even used to think you were OK and openly said so, even when everyone else on the board was ripping you, and now you act like a complete fucking 'tard because.... I don't like the Offspring?! This is Other Bands after all, not General Offspring Discussion, so it's not like I am trying to deliberately provoke anyone.

Shut up, mutant face.

0r4ng3
09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Don't even bother arguing with HeadAroundU. It's like talking to a brick wall, except the brick wall would probably make some better arguments.

Kerr
09-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Don't even bother arguing with HeadAroundU. It's like talking to a brick wall, except the brick wall would probably make some better arguments.
Well...

This message is hidden because HeadAroundU is on your ignore list.
Hey! That's better.

0r4ng3
09-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Well...

Hey! That's better.
Good decision. Personally, I keep him off my ignore list, so I can laugh at his stupidity.

As for the original topic of this thread, The Sex Pistols are way overrated. I don't really like their music. I'm also not that big a fan of the Clash, but I've only heard about 3 songs.

Kerr
09-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I keep him off my ignore list, so I can laugh at his stupidity.
I've even had enough of that... :/

As for the original topic of this thread, The Sex Pistols are way overrated. I don't really like their music. I'm also not that big a fan of the Clash, but I've only heard about 3 songs.
I actually enjoy listening to their songs every now and then, but yeah, very overrated.

Download London Calling by The Clash. If you don't like ti straight away, listen to it again and you will. Also: Should I Stay or Should I Go (off Combat Rock) and I Fought The Law (off s/t) are good songs. Download these (or the albums) too.

I haven't bought any Clash albums, but someone sent me Disk 1 of London Calling, and I heard the other two I mentioned.

0r4ng3
09-22-2005, 01:37 PM
[FONT=Arial]

Download London Calling by The Clash. If you don't like ti straight away, listen to it again and you will. Also: Should I Stay or Should I Go (off Combat Rock) and I Fought The Law (off s/t) are good songs. Download these (or the albums) too.
Wow, those are the three songs I was talking about. I like all 3.

Sin Studly
09-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Any band who covers I fought the law and changes the lyrics to "I found the law and I won" deserves death.

HeadAroundU
09-24-2005, 02:10 PM
I wasn't trying to be funny - it is only an opinion. And I have stated that it's an opinion about a million times. Bladdy hell bollocks, it ain't hard, you fucking prat.

And you're an ugly mutant-faced cunt, and I feel sorry for any Slavs who have faggots like you in their country.

I think people should be allowed to express their opinions. There is NOTHING perfect about any band, be it Metallica, the RHCP or even (in fact, especially) the Offspring. Like I said, I am going off them and yes, I have said a few negative things about them, but I don't hate them. If you are such an oversensitive shallow prick who can't except other people's opinions, or don't even have the courtesy to ignore them if they do say anything bad about your precious pop-punk band (it is the internet after all, faggot), you have no right to instruct other people, look down on them, or judge their intelligence.

Jeez, I even used to think you were OK and openly said so, even when everyone else on the board was ripping you, and now you act like a complete fucking 'tard because.... I don't like the Offspring?! This is Other Bands after all, not General Offspring Discussion, so it's not like I am trying to deliberately provoke anyone.

Shut up, mutant face.
You are too yellow to have opinions.

HeadAroundU
09-24-2005, 02:11 PM
nerd........ :(

JohnnyNemesis
09-24-2005, 02:13 PM
nerd........ :(

HAHA! Fuck you, scumbag.

Revolver-2005?
09-24-2005, 06:02 PM
the sex pistols are alright, but i really dont like them much...the clash id rather listen to than the sex pistols...really they didnt have much talent...sid vicious...meh he was just a mascot for the band with all his whacked out craziness bah blah blah

Brines
09-24-2005, 07:47 PM
hate 'em. it just...burns my ears. somebody told me to download some songs, so i did, and they suck ass.