PDA

View Full Version : A (not good!) review on the Brixton gig

Dirty Bertie
09-21-2005, 06:49 AM
A review on the Brixton gig:

http://www.virtual-festivals.com/artists/article.cfm?articleid=2256

couldn't find it on search button so hope hasn't been posted before!

Dirty Bertie
09-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Here's the full text for those to lazy to click the url:

Getting old holds fewer barriers for rock bands these days, but when your core fanbase is skate kids and your career peak was 10 years ago you'd better look lively if you're going to pull it off live..

The Offspring remain embedded in the nations consciousness as those cheeky Californians who wrote gimmicky tunes with catchy hooks and hotpants, and brought skate-punk to the masses during the Green Day Wilder-Years. But for those who really know The Offspring, those who remember the flickering greatness of Ignition and the way that Smash became a defining album of a generation of wannabe Dexter Holland’s who were all reaching for the Domestos, tonight’s gig is a sober reckoning that our old heroes have quickly hurtled towards middle age.

Brixton Academy, itself a massive downsize for a band accustomed to selling out Wembley Arena twice over, plays host to an uncomfortable mixture of kiddiewinks brandishing their studs and parents in tow, and the now older die-hard fans with a song in their heart and a crowd surfers shoe nestled in their mouth. Gone are the grand sets and massive risers; and whilst the fundamental sound remains almost intact, the energy and charisma that made The Offspring work have departed with the whole show reeking of ‘Greatest Hits (Retirement Fund)’. Dexter Holland owns the stage as he always has, but unfortunately Noodles, usually brandishing a guitar as if it was a machine gun in Basra, looks rather more like he’s carrying a shopping basket in Morrison’s. The Offspring appear for the first time as a backing band for their lead singer, rather than a unified act who were always far more impressive live than on record. They still have their highlights, with Ixnay on the Hombre’s gem ‘Gone Away’ still proving to be a live favourite; even if lacking in the extra stage effects it was granted during the arena tours.

Reassuring classics such as ‘Come Out and Play (Keep Em Separated)’ and ‘All I Want’ reminding you of the old glory days, but unfortunately tonight’s set is far too littered with pap from the recent ‘Splinter’ album to really provide any sustained treats. Although perpetual set closer ‘Self Esteem’ is in itself just about worth the hour and a half wade through dubious fillers, you cant help but wonder how long it is before The Offspring resign themselves to sustained retirement.

Swill
09-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Dont know what to say to that..............????
________
FREE VICTORIAS SECRET GIFT CARD (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/victorias-secret-gift-card/)

Dex90
09-21-2005, 07:28 AM
What an idiot......why are ignorant people like this allowed to even write reviews??? i was there and they played one of the best shows ive ever seen!!! the crowd was wild!!the set was awesome... im not saying it just cuz im a fan, a friend of mine came and he never really liked offspring but he said
it was amazing!

thesandwhichmaker
09-21-2005, 08:00 AM
His major issue seems to be the fact that they played a smaller venue rather than an arena and didnt play enough old songs.

Thats such a weak basis for a review......i mean, 1: smaller venue = better show in my opinion. Could you feel that close to the band at any arena in the country..? i think not. 2: so they didnt play a whole set made up from their first couple of albums, boo hoo, these guys have been gigging since before i hit puberty, lol, so if they want to playa few shows with a different set list here and there, i think thy've earned it.

Evka.pl
09-21-2005, 08:58 AM
good thing the band isn't playing 4 journalists..they're doing it 4 the fans. i think they're doing a very good job.

SUPER_KING
09-21-2005, 09:12 AM
i agree with dex 90

BuddyHolly
09-21-2005, 11:13 AM
It think I have kind of to agree with that review (at least for the Colgone show). I thought the show in Cologne wasn't that impresive, even compared to the Splinter tour. I really hope the next tour will be as good as the Splinter tour again...

dirty_magic
09-22-2005, 02:27 AM
twatish fucker

Phlegmy Toad
09-22-2005, 06:36 AM
That's bollox. My review will be much better, when I get it up.

Bonkers
09-22-2005, 07:20 AM
plays host to an uncomfortable mixture of kiddiewinks brandishing their studs and parents in tow,

That bit made me laugh.

satrap
09-22-2005, 12:51 PM
what sorta idiot wrote that, he probably doesnt even listen to the music just reads about the band in books frigin gimp, brixton is a good venue and theyve played there many times so why is he acting like it was a first for them -.-

coke_a_holic
09-22-2005, 12:58 PM
omg no!!!1 he obvyoslee duznt luv dex as much as i do cuz hes soooo hawtttt and hes even hawtttr live makin the sho = 100%!!!!!!111

nameless
09-22-2005, 03:46 PM
i think the review was quite harsh, they only played 2 songs from splinter and in no way did the other guys look like a backing band for dexter!

TheOffspringRule
09-23-2005, 03:37 AM
littered with pap from the recent Splinter???
as far as i can remember the played 3 songs which are pretty much the best on the album

come_out_and_play
09-23-2005, 06:32 AM
They did only play 3 songs from splinter but i would have been just as happy for them to have played more, i think splinter is one of their strongest albums and i dont see why people have to put it down so much. It would have been good for them to have played at least one song from ignition though.