PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some jazz saxophone players

Jebus
09-22-2005, 05:26 PM
I mainly listen to guitar oriented jazz fusion so I've decided to give non-guitar playing jazz artists a try. Also tell me the name of an album from that artist that you think I should listen to.

nieh
09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
John Zorn is a very talented and respectable jazz saxophonist, but he tends to genre jump and has a backing band which often includes guitar. He had a huge influence over Mr. Bungle and Fantomas, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't like his song writing more than half the time and I find his style of sax playing annoying. He does have a lot of more traditional jazz stuff thrown in here and there, but that's not what he's really known for. Recommend: Naked City as it's his supposed "masterpiece". It has a decent range of fairly straight jazz songs mixed with crazy random genre-hopping. There's only a few tracks that I actually like from beginning to end, but you and I don't have exactly the same taste, so you may like him a bit more than I do.

BREAK
09-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Kenny G.

Just kidding. I like Charlie Parker, but he's more of a bebop player. Lester Young was good, but he was more cool jazz, I guess. John Coltrane is really good, listen to 'My Favorite Things' or 'A Love Supreme' even though they're probably not "fusion" in any sense of the word. Finally, Wayne Shorter is pretty good, check out 'Bitches Brew' and 'In A Silent Way' by Miles Davis. If you don't believe me, go ask Bill Cosby.

dalaksta
10-21-2005, 07:57 PM
mike tracy
john coltrane
sunny rollins
charley parker
cannonball aderly
hank mobley
stan getts
micheal brecker
that should give you a good start
i used to be realy into jazz

dalaksta
10-22-2005, 03:33 PM
jebus they really are good check em out
mike tracy is my dad though
HE DOES PLAY SAXAPHINE AND HE HAS TWO CD's

dalaksta
10-23-2005, 09:58 AM
do you guys not like jazz or something? its pretty good and its easy to play good rythms and beats wuts not to like?

Endymion
01-21-2006, 03:41 PM
bumping this because i've been listening to a lot of Naked City recently. Painkiller too, but i like naked city more. that and all the posts between this and break's should be deleted.

opivy21
01-21-2006, 03:45 PM
I got a Thelonius Monk cassette, and there's some good playing on it.

Kerr
01-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I am very interested in Acid Jazz after I recently started liking a bit of Mr. Bungle.

Jebus
01-21-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm downloading Naked City on soulseek right now. Last time I tried I couldn't find a good source so I gave up. I just found a really good one. (84kb/s on soulseek!)

Endymion
01-21-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm downloading Naked City on soulseek right now. Last time I tried I couldn't find a good source so I gave up. I just found a really good one. (84kb/s on soulseek!)
are you getting the five-cd complete recordings? it's VERY good. well worth the time to download. if it weren't 100 bucks (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006UYOMO/qid=1137889828/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4912039-1588119?n=507846&s=music&v=glance) i'd buy it.

JoY
01-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Hans & Candy Dulfer.

anything else I'd recommend (sax-wise) has already been mentioned. you should check out other jazzy instruments aswell, though.

T-6005
01-21-2006, 05:26 PM
I'd put emphasis on John Coltrane. I don't like all of it, and it's not a part of my usual repertoire, but sometimes a song will randomly come on and have some truly amazing moments.

nieh
01-21-2006, 11:27 PM
bumping this because i've been listening to a lot of Naked City recently. Painkiller too, but i like naked city more. that and all the posts between this and break's should be deleted.

I'm gonna give Naked City another couple listens. I had the exact same impression of that album that I did when I first got Fantomas' "Suspended Animation" and I ended up growing to really like that one. Either way, I hate his wailing sax playing that he does every now and then. What else is on the box set?

Endymion
01-21-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm gonna give Naked City another couple listens. I had the exact same impression of that album that I did when I first got Fantomas' "Suspended Animation" and I ended up growing to really like that one. Either way, I hate his wailing sax playing that he does every now and then. What else is on the box set?

suspended animation had the opposite affect on me. i liked it a lot the first few times i heard it, but after that i got bored with it.

my mom listened to a lot of jazz when i was growing up, so i like the overblown sax myself...

and what's in the box set? well... it starts out with the rock/jazz mixed stuff, then it's got a bunch of the grindcore-with-sax stuff, then it goes into some ambient stuff. it really goes all over the place. the last track is a half hour slow heavy metal thing.

nieh
01-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm trying to find someplace I can download the box set from. Zorn had a band called Naked City after putting out the album...?

Jebus
01-22-2006, 07:16 PM
are you getting the five-cd complete recordings? it's VERY good. well worth the time to download. if it weren't 100 bucks (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006UYOMO/qid=1137889828/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4912039-1588119?n=507846&s=music&v=glance) i'd buy it.
no, I was download naked city(the album) by john zorn.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000005J08/qid=1137985538/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-1748005-3832723?n=507846&s=music&v=glance

anyways, Batman just analy raped my socks. So far, I really like that messy style of theirs. I'll be sure to download th full Naked City discocraphy when i get the time.

Endymion
01-22-2006, 11:03 PM
naked city is the first naked city album. it was all self titled and shit.

and yes, batman fucking rocks hardcore. i think that's my favorite song of theirs right now. a shot in the dark is a very good song too.

StayInTheHouseCarl
01-23-2006, 08:18 AM
he's not a sax player of course, but you definitely should check out miles davis' "kind of blue" album.

nieh
01-23-2006, 04:30 PM
naked city is the first naked city album. it was all self titled and shit.

and yes, batman fucking rocks hardcore. i think that's my favorite song of theirs right now. a shot in the dark is a very good song too.

That's odd. Everywhere I've seen the album Naked City it was listed under Zorn's name. I finished downloading the box set from soulseek this morning but haven't gotten to listen to it yet. I'll check it out once I get back home.

Jebus
01-23-2006, 04:40 PM
That's odd. Everywhere I've seen the album Naked City it was listed under Zorn's name. I finished downloading the box set from soulseek this morning but haven't gotten to listen to it yet. I'll check it out once I get back home.
let me leech from you, please. What's your account name?

nieh
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
It's bocojd. I have cable, but my upload speed has a tendency to be ridiculously slow. If it doesn't go too quick for you, you might be better off asking someone in the jazz room. That's what I did last night.

nieh
01-25-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm on the third disc of the set now. So far the second disc was much better than the first. I never liked the super short noisy tracks on the first one. They seemed a bit pointless to me. They got a lot better at making noise on the second one and much better at the developing the heavier, grindcore stuff too. Thash Jazz Assassin was actually the song that originally made me want to check Zorn out. It would've been nice if they split the ambient songs up a bit though instead of tagging them all in a row at the end. Not that I don't like them, it just seems odd to have them all in a row after the rest of the album was all over the place. The third one seems pretty good too so far.

Endymion
01-25-2006, 05:50 PM
the grindcore/jazz stuff that he did with painkiller was a bit better.

nieh
01-25-2006, 06:00 PM
I'll have to check them out. Bill Laswell is in that one, right?

edit: Wow, and Buckethead did a guest appearance as well. That should be interesting.