PDA

View Full Version : horse the band?

Endymion
09-23-2005, 12:57 PM
i'm going to their record release show tonight. i don't support enough local bands (because most suck) but these guys don't suck, so i'm going. yup.

with bleeding kansas.

and they're playing in a couple months with hella. and dillinger escape plan. will i go? only time will tell.

nieh
09-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Horse the Band and Dillinger Escape Plan at the same show? Those are like...the only two bands of that genre that I actually like! I would be there in a second.

Endymion
09-23-2005, 01:21 PM
chain reaction baby! best bathroom in southern california.

Endymion
09-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Monday
November 21, 2005 DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN
Tickets on sale Friday Sept 23 at 10am!

HELLA, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, Horse (the band)
hardcore
$16 at the door.
Tickets available at Tickmaster.
Show starts at 7:30 and ends at 11:30.

nieh
09-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Once again it's thrown in my face that life would be so much better if I lived in California.

BREAK
09-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Can you grab a copy of The Mechanical Hand and send it to me for free? I'll be your BFF.

Endymion
09-23-2005, 04:03 PM
you can buy it on amazon.

Endymion
09-24-2005, 01:51 AM
i was actually going to get you a copy but i ran out of cash. should have gone to the atm before hand... sorry. i got a free demo i can send you though. two songs off the album.

there was cake.

nieh
10-18-2005, 10:21 AM
I just got The Mechanical Hand the other day. It's friggen awesome. For those of you that have never heard these guys, they're definitely worth checking out.

http://www.purevolume.com/horsetheband

Homer
10-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Hella? I saw them when I went to the System Of A Down concert. I'm sorry, but they're horrible. Apparenlty the guitarist got angry in the middle of their preformance and just walked off stage. But they're horrible anyways.

nieh
12-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Bump, because they're fucking awesome.

I think Rick would be able to appreciate this band's sense of humor. Whether or not he'll appreciate the music, I'm not sure.

coke_a_holic
12-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Hella played with Les Claypool here a few months back, I wanted to see them, but it was on Yom Kippur (wtf, who plays on Yom Kippur?). Anyway, I have no idea if they played along with Claypool, or if they were just the supporting band. Wish I could've gone, though. *offtopic* I'm checking out Horse right now, I'll leave my thoughts momentarily.

nieh
01-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Bump again.

I was wandering around today trying to find a copy of R. Borlax and stumbled upon their Pizza EP that I didn't even know existed. As usual, it's hilarious. One of the songs is called Crippled By Pizza (Pizzarrhea in the Pizzeria) which got a laugh out of me with just the title, one is a very evil and scary sounding death/black metal song called Werepizza, and there's a cover of the TMNT theme song as well as two other originals. Musically it's not quite up to par with their other stuff (it seems like they kind of rushed that side of things) though every song does have something going for it and it's still lots of fun to listen to. I was never able to get a copy of R. Borlax so I went to their website to get it from there and found that they just released a limited edition printing (I think it said only 550) of the Pizza EP on vinyl that actually comes in a pizza box. I ended up ordering both while I was there so I should be getting my hands on R. Borlax in the not too distant future. Hooray for me!

Endymion
01-21-2007, 10:17 PM
yay for josh!

nieh
01-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Semi-related, I just ordered MC Hammer's gospel CD for 87 cents on Amazon. Hooray for me again.

nieh
07-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Apparently these guys have a new album coming out in August as well. Anyone have a song or two they'd be willing to share?

Professor Chaos
07-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Just downloaded this.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=74DD1XCV

nieh
07-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Why did you have to go and do that? Now I'm going to have to wrestle with myself over whether or not I'm actually going to download it. Have you listened to it yet? How is it?

Professor Chaos
07-17-2007, 02:49 PM
I only made it through a few songs before I had to leave for work, but it sounds pretty good so far.

Venom Symbiote
07-17-2007, 05:56 PM
I haven't heard any of their other stuff, but their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme cover is t3h sh1zz1t. Awesomeness.

nieh
07-23-2007, 07:38 PM
That was on their Pizza EP, which was entirely devoted to songs about pizza, and the cover of TMNT because "turtles love pizza". I still think this is probably the greatest packaging for an album ever.
http://www.asssnake.com/lif/pizza/inside.jpg
The opposite side of the vinyl is styled to look like a pizza from the original TMNT cartoon but I can't find a picture of it anywhere.
I heard one of the songs from their new album on Myspace. It was pretty cool. I can't wait for the new album.

coke_a_holic
07-23-2007, 07:45 PM
I can't decide whether or not I like them. I downloaded both of their cds, like, 6 months ago, and can't really listen to either of them all the way through, but when I try to, I love it until halfway, when I slowly become less interested.

As far as post-hardcore bands go, they're awesome, but I only really like about 5 post-hardcore bands, anyway. Birdo and Cutsman are fucking sweet songs.

nieh
07-23-2007, 08:01 PM
I love how they manage to be so tongue in cheek and funny without becoming purely a novelty act. They legitimately tear ass and are catchier than nearly everyone else in the genre. Plus, the fact that they use the video game references as metaphors for real life experiences of theirs just adds another layer of awesome to it. Like, Birdo is not only about the enemy from Super Mario 2, but is also about the singer's step-father who refused to accept his distaste of eggs, and would apparently get violent with his mother when she stuck up for him. House of Boo, despite the references to the haunted houses in the Mario series, is about the singer being trapped in his house with his mom after someone broke in and was hiding in the basement. They stayed up in his room all night with knives and could hear the guy's breathing through the vents the whole time. Not ALL their songs are like that of course, but enough are to make it interesting.

nieh
08-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Got the new album today. Not sure how much I like it on first listen. The keyboards and vocals seemed a bit buried behind everything else on a lot of songs and the melodies don't feel as strong as normal. I'll have to give it a few more listens.

BREAK
08-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Plus, the fact that they use the video game references as metaphors for real life experiences of theirs just adds another layer of awesome to it. Like, Birdo is not only about the enemy from Super Mario 2, but is also about the singer's step-father who refused to accept his distaste of eggs, and would apparently get violent with his mother when she stuck up for him. House of Boo, despite the references to the haunted houses in the Mario series, is about the singer being trapped in his house with his mom after someone broke in and was hiding in the basement. They stayed up in his room all night with knives and could hear the guy's breathing through the vents the whole time. Not ALL their songs are like that of course, but enough are to make it interesting.

Whenever I read shit like this about the band, it's always come across as them trying to contribute to their own mythology. I mean it sounds like the type of shit that people would make up about them even if they didn't go to the trouble of making it up themselves. For all I know that stuff really did happen, but when you look at the way the band presents itself musically and artistically, it does play rather like another one of their jokes on us, the audience. I've learned over the years to distrust anything a songwriter says about the meanings behind their songs, though.

In short, I really think they're just trying to be taken more seriously by ditching the Nintendo association, because when that's all people emphasize about them it does make them seem more like a novelty act. But it'd be sweet if the stories were true.

nieh
09-17-2008, 11:13 AM
They're playing in the area on Friday, I might try to catch them but I doubt I can talk anyone into going with me.