PDA

View Full Version : What type of music is the HARDEST to play on drums?

shatskater
11-23-2004, 05:02 PM
agian....punk, its even faster than guitars, specialy that song by the dead kennedys "Forward to Death". so i would say punk.

BREAK
11-24-2004, 02:05 AM
Do the words "grindcore" & "blastbeats" mean anything to you?

shatskater
11-24-2004, 10:33 PM
no.....should it?

Punked
11-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Most offbeat tunes used by top bands today are jazz & blues drumbeats - even punk has adopted some of these beats

saska de o...
11-26-2004, 12:29 PM
hahaha, every music is hard to play drums if u don't know how play drums :) \
my parents were in egypt one week and they gave me KONGO (small drum) KONGO is hard to play, not drums :)

i love all percussion instruments :cool:

lousyskater
11-26-2004, 01:11 PM
the hard thing about punk is being able to play fast. but then again, there are some punk drummers who change it up while keeping the speed up, like Josh Freese of the Vandals. i don't know how the fuck he plays the way he does.

Heat
11-27-2004, 05:13 AM
loool..... nothing on playing punk is difficult, either guitar or drumms

if you want to play some really hard stuff you should play metal.... its faster and much more difficult than punk

saska de o...
11-27-2004, 08:41 AM
ha ha ha... yeah... i can play fast, it's not hard :P but... well.. everyone drummer can play sth and cannot play sth.. i can paly fast parts, but i can't play veeery slowly and boring things 'cos its boooriing... :)

wheelchairman
11-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Punk is piss easy, you don't need to be good at anything.

Jazz and Swing songs are usually the hardest I'd assume.

saska de o...
11-27-2004, 09:23 AM
it's ur opinion, i think that everything is easy to play... :D

nieh
11-27-2004, 10:30 AM
jazz fused with pretty much anything. They get the jazz style, but they play like 30 times faster than straight jazz. Check out some stuff by middle period Mr. Bungle, late period Dismemberment Plan, Mars Volta or even a few specks of Dillinger Escape Plan. Extreme metal (blast beats) is not as hard as people make it out to be....the only thing difficult about it is the double bass and once you get that down the rest is easy. Basically, if you slow down metal drumming it becomes very simple. You slow down jazz drumming and you're still left with odd complicated rhythms that are tough to struggle with. The only thing difficult about playing punk is playing the same boom-cha-boom-cha-boom-cha-boom-cha-fill-boom-cha-boom-cha thing over and over again without screwing up. It's more of a chore than anything. Although I do agree Josh Freese is a kickass drummer because he's not annoyingly straight-forward with what he plays and he goes super fast (plus some of the stuff he's done in non-vandals bands have been amazing too). Also, in terms of the whole tribal-metal beats (i.e. Tool), if you have any sort of natural rhythm, it's the easiest style of drums to play (although one of the harder ones to actually work into a song without it sounding dumb). That being said, Danny Carey plays faster and more complicated than most others in his style, I just used Tool as an example because they were the first that came to mind with that style.

The Cheshire Cat
11-27-2004, 11:32 AM
So long as you can keep good time, pretty much everything is the same on drums. Some beats are a little more complicated than others, but they all involve repeating the same thing over and over again, so if you can do that you're fine.

b-radg12
11-28-2004, 08:27 AM
undefinedundefinedmetal would have to be the hardest to play on drums. It is fast and hard to keep up with. if u want any other info on drums right to me.

P.S. im in a band. oh ya if ur a beginor stik to the books. :cool:

saska de o...
11-28-2004, 09:41 AM
im in a band too... i play drums, and i can say that everything is easy to play drum, but very slowly parts are boring :/

punk_flamingo
11-29-2004, 12:55 AM
metal...listen to any amazing metal - its fucking difficult some of it.

Punks way easy...punks easy on any bloody instrument - thats why there are so many punk bands out there.

Punked
11-29-2004, 10:33 PM
I have to agree about the fact that jazz drumbeats are the most difficult to play & stands out above any other beats, that's why lots of metal drummers use a lot of jazz drumbeats eg. - Blink 182, Limp Bizkit ext.

wheelchairman
11-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Blink 182 and Limp Bizkit are metal?

punk_flamingo
12-01-2004, 07:09 AM
apparantly so....

neocon58
12-01-2004, 09:50 PM
even if u hate blink 182, u gotta admit travis is a kickass drummer

UgLy_eLf
12-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Grindcore is the hardest, fuck Jazz.

yummy yummy punkrockgirl
12-03-2004, 01:55 PM
loool..... nothing on playing punk is difficult, either guitar or drumms

if you want to play some really hard stuff you should play metal.... its faster and much more difficult than punk

i hate metal but i'd have to agree with you that it's harder to play. although punk is a lot faster than metal. the bollweevils is a good example

yummy yummy punkrockgirl
12-03-2004, 01:58 PM
although there are some sub-genres of metal that are faster too

Jojan
12-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Käng and grindcore. Death metal and that is simple and easy.

T-6005
12-06-2004, 05:59 AM
Jazz. Without a doubt. It's not about speed, Jazz has a ton of syncopated beats and changeups.

casaroli
03-23-2005, 04:57 PM
The type i'm pretty sure is metals (all kinds)
But song, i'm sure Phanton of the Opera - Iron Maidem is one of most hard one...

I've seen a hard one, but is from time signature, that changes every 1-2 compass.... impossible if u do not study!

As i saw here, Jazzes are very hard..

I read lots of posts saying that: "oh punk is faster" "but some metals are faster than punk"...

Tho fast stuff is hard, BUT are not the hardest, I can say that by seing Steve Vai plat some stuff at guitars that are not fast, but wow hard. That GOES to drums as well, Iron Maidem up there is a real fast and hard song, but look, u should know a song called: Stratosphere - Stratovarius, is a WOW fast drum song, twice speed of PotO(phanton) and ¼ of dificulty, so speed does not always count...

Couse u can play all day at slower speed something, than u go uping speed till u can do that like no one else ever did =)

thats all really!!

offspring kid
03-23-2005, 05:06 PM
agian....punk, its even faster than guitars, specialy that song by the dead kennedys "Forward to Death". so i would say punk.

I agree with you PUNK is most difficult to play

pie.
03-24-2005, 01:05 AM
those super fast techno songs...

lol

and some thrash metal

progdrummer
04-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Top bands to learn difficult drums on.
1. Dream Theater ( Mike portnoy )--- "Dance of Eternity" or " Glass Prison "
2. Rush ( Neil Peart )--- "The Rhythm Method" or "La Baterista"
3. Slayer ( Dave Lombardo ) "Warzone" or " Here comes the Pain"
4. Dimmu Borgir ( although death metal, if your looking for someone really fast.. he won first place for it in Europe )

Ive been playing drums for nine years and i DID start out with blink and stuff.. so i had a good background. If you guys want to stay in one place, i suggest you just keep secluded with your style of choice. But if you want to be a known drummer or even famous... you better do some research. (Try 9/8's rythms with double bass accents :cool: )

By the way.. Iron maiden is awesome but Nikko is sooo easy to play. If you want to learn harder songs, find drummers who write in their band, its a good chance they have some sick parts.

Oh and before you critique my choices and post... TRY LISTENING TO THEM FIRST then come back and say something. :cool:

Josh Freese
04-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Jazz. Without a doubt. It's not about speed, Jazz has a ton of syncopated beats and changeups.

I agree. The best Jazz-drummer is Buddy Rich :)