PDA

View Full Version : What's your concept of ART?

Anya82
09-25-2005, 05:07 PM
"what is art?"
i think that's one of the most difficult questions to answer, we all have a different concept of it.

I'm always discussing about that with a friend, and we have different opinions.
I say, art, is something that is created to express an emotion, idea, opinion, feeling...
He says, art, is everthing, as long as the person looking at/listening to it feels connected and finds it emotional or creative, even if it's just a line accidentally drawed or whatever, even if the person who made it didn't want to express/communicate anything.

so, what's YOUR concept of "art"?

Sinister
09-25-2005, 05:16 PM
in my opinion, art is anything that was made using someone's creativity.

0r4ng3
09-25-2005, 05:20 PM
This is so wierd, my sculpture teacher asked my class this on the first day of school. One of the better answers was "A way of expressing yourself using various materials and creativity".

Sinister
09-25-2005, 05:23 PM
This is so wierd, my sculpture teacher asked my class this on the first day of school. One of the better answers was "A way of expressing yourself using various materials and creativity".

hey what happened to the color in your avatar ? you had it orange some time ago !

and... art is anything beautiful. new definition for me.

0r4ng3
09-25-2005, 05:25 PM
hey what happened to the color in your avatar ? you had it orange some time ago !
I changed it back. About 3 months ago. Where have you been?

Sinister
09-25-2005, 05:27 PM
I changed it back. About 3 months ago. Where have you been?

probably not in the same threads as you... anyway, back on topic.

Endymion
09-25-2005, 05:33 PM
is it just me or is mario the only person cutman can defend himself against?
http://www.angelfire.com/punk3/muzz/huzzah/cutman.gif

voodoomagik
09-26-2005, 01:59 AM
i find your friend's version more appropriate...it depends on the perspective

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 02:23 AM
"what is art?"
i think that's one of the most difficult questions to answer, we all have a different concept of it.

I'm always discussing about that with a friend, and we have different opinions.
I say, art, is something that is created to express an emotion, idea, opinion, feeling...
He says, art, is everthing, as long as the person looking at/listening to it feels connected and finds it emotional or creative, even if it's just a line accidentally drawed or whatever, even if the person who made it didn't want to express/communicate anything.

so, what's YOUR concept of "art"?

I agree with you boyfriend but like to add one important thing.

Art has to be limited to one piece, so it's not art if there exsist another copy of the painting, object etc.

Sunny
09-26-2005, 05:58 AM
Holy shit, that's such a snobbish, stupid attitude to have. You basically just said that most of graphic design and photography cannot be considered art... because a lot of it is replicated multiple times.

So if I make a poster, and there are 100,000 prints made of it, it's not art?

screw you.

voodoomagik
09-26-2005, 06:44 AM
the feeling you get when you see the original version is far more complex than the one you get when you see a copy of it! the simple fact that you can imagine how, let's say, leonardo's brushes and hands touched the painting before you alot of years ago, makes ya imagination run wild.
I guesss he was focused on that aspect and didn't took in consideration modern art or like you said photography, graphic design and stuff like that.

Vera
09-26-2005, 07:41 AM
I'd call forgeries, fakes and copies art. The original thing is worth more in terms of money and artistic/creative value but it doesn't make the copy a non-art.

It's difficult because I'd be willing to argue a postcard of Mona Lisa is not art. It's just a postcard. So something that is used, is not art, art is just for the watching.. But then again, design of chairs and cups and plates and heck, even mobile phones is an artform of its own.

But I guess I do believe in the institutional theory of art, which basically says that if you created something and then the art society puts it on display for the general crowd so that they can form on an opinion on it, then it's art.

The whole word has a sort of superior sound to it, like it's something high and important. But I think one should keep in mind that art can also be bad.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Holy shit, that's such a snobbish, stupid attitude to have. You basically just said that most of graphic design and photography cannot be considered art... because a lot of it is replicated multiple times.

So if I make a poster, and there are 100,000 prints made of it, it's not art?

screw you.

Alright...

I think voodoomagic just gave my answer on that, so go read that.

And yes, I think that if you make 100,000 prints of an poster there is no way you can call it art.
If you do this with an difficult pressure method it's different, than it still would take time to make every single copy of it and the copys aren't really copys cause there is always an difference between them, it could be just an spot or an slanting press or an different color there's an difference between them.

If there's no difference between the original and the copy I stay by my word: The original (the first) is art, the second, the third etc. not.

And think about this: I'm studying dtp - but there's no way that I call it art.. Maybe the photo's I make are art, but only the original. I stay with my words sorry.

Sunny
09-26-2005, 09:06 AM
It's just funny - well, ridiculous - that you decide to call Paul Rand's, Man Ray's or Andy Warhol's work "not art".

someone mentioned the way someone's hands worked, the paintbrush strokes, etc... well think about this. a poster, no matter how many times it was reproduced, had a tremendous amount of effort put into it. all the amazing thought. the concept, the actual visualization of it, setting the type... all the details. You mentioned "different pressures" while making a poster. Do you honestly think that only the physical, technical aspects of a piece make it art?

Your outlook is feels very outdated to me. Please take into consideration that we live in the 2000's. Also, do consider the fact that art is not limited to just "paintings".

What about video installations? animation? light shows/laser projections? film? Is only the first tape art? Or is the second tape art too? Do explain.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Another thing I just thought about, for example you take an photo of the mona lisa from the internet than you print that photo. You have art right?

Way can you throw that print away why you get problems when you throw the original away, I mean the print was still art in your eyes right? So you should be punished because you throwed that one away.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 09:09 AM
It's just funny - well, ridiculous - that you decide to call Paul Rand's, Man Ray's or Andy Warhol's work "not art".

someone mentioned the way someone's hands worked, the paintbrush strokes, etc... well think about this. a poster, no matter how many times it was reproduced, had a tremendous amount of effort put into it. all the amazing thought. the concept, the actual visualization of it, setting the type... all the details. You mentioned "different pressures" while making a poster. Do you honestly think that only the physical, technical aspects of a piece make it art? Yes.

Your outlook is feels very outdated to me. Please take into consideration that we live in the 2000's. Also, do consider the fact that art is not limited to just "paintings".

What about video installations? animation? light shows/laser projections? film? Is only the first tape art? Yes Or is the second tape art too? No Do explain.

Putted the answers right after your questions

Endymion
09-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Way can you throw that print away why you get problems when you throw the original away, I mean the print was still art in your eyes right? So you should be punished because you throwed that one away.
art does not have an intrinsic value, only the value placed on it by society. your printoff had no value in the society, the original does.

Sunny
09-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Respond to the above post first.

and by the way, I don't believe in the sanctity of ONE PIECE or ONE PRINT. it's too stupid.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 09:11 AM
art does not have an intrinsic value, only the value placed on it by society. your printoff had no value in the society, the original does.

And real art has an value, don't get me wrong but an kid can make an drawning but should we see that as art?

So I actually putting this even farther, art has to stay to 1 piece and real art has an value

Sunny
09-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Putted the answers right after your questions

oh fuck almighty. i give up. this is pure insanity.

i'm sure all the art directors, designers, photographers and film makers i know would be DELIGHTED to hear that you don't consider most of their work art.

actually wait. they wouldn't give a fuck.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 09:15 AM
oh fuck almighty. i give up. this is pure insanity.

i'm sure all the art directors, designers, photographers and film makers i know would be DELIGHTED to hear that you don't consider most of their work art.

actually wait. they wouldn't give a fuck.

I work as desktoppublisher which means I am an designer and photographer, but I don't think it's art, yes the photo's are (the original) but the rest? NO!

Also, the topic about this thread is: YOU'RE CONCEPT OF ART (and since this is my concept of art) so you can become mad and think it's stupid it stays my idea about art. Nothing and noone can change than, and especialy you can't.

Sunny
09-26-2005, 09:23 AM
I work as an art director.

you'd think they call me an ART director for a fucking reason.

So you say the photos are art, but the rest isn't. So typography isn't art?

AHAHAHAH. give me a break.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 09:25 AM
I work as an art director.

you'd think they call me an ART director for a fucking reason.

So you say the photos are art, but the rest isn't. So typography isn't art?

AHAHAHAH. give me a break.

I do reckon typography as art, it just depends how u use it.

Sunny
09-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Also, the topic about this thread is: YOU'RE CONCEPT OF ART (and since this is my concept of art) so you can become mad and think it's stupid it stays my idea about art. Nothing and noone can change than, and especialy you can't.

Hey, you can shit on the floor, roll around in it and call it art, I don't care. I'm not trying to change your opinion on anything, I'm merely stating that I think you're being a close-minded moron.

the_GoDdEsS
09-26-2005, 09:27 AM
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Art to me is creativity, expressiveness, attitude, perception which evokes something.

Many things can be art. Modern art is crazy. I'm not a great fan of it but it's still art. It's a creative force, a force in the creator and a force in the observer. Both create art.

Sunny
09-26-2005, 09:28 AM
I do reckon typography as art, it just depends how u use it.

Alright then.

Alexey Brodovitch's typographic work, art or not art?

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Alright then.

Alexey Brodovitch's typographic work, art or not art?

I don't know him, we can talk about an lot of things, but typography just bores the shit out of me.

I still think typography is an art form and typography always stays unique, still it bores the shit out of me so can't we talking about something more interesting?

Sunny
09-26-2005, 09:57 AM

didn't you say you were a designer? working in publishing?

wait. are you a graphic designer? if you are, how the HELL did you go through life without learning about Alexey Brodovitch and HOW can you possibly think typography is boring?

Please tell me you're not a graphic designer.

voodoomagik
09-26-2005, 10:01 AM
hahah..give the man some space

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 10:04 AM

didn't you say you were a designer? working in publishing?

wait. are you a graphic designer? if you are, how the HELL did you go through life without learning about Alexey Brodovitch and HOW can you possibly think typography is boring?

Please tell me you're not a graphic designer.

I am an desk top publisher...

I have never ever had study in typography, I've just had to study Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign and know everything about those programs.

Sunny
09-26-2005, 10:12 AM
I am truly starting to appreciate the value of good design education... which you obviously appear to be lacking.

Typography is essential. You shouldn't even be touching InDesign or Illustrator for a living if you don't know the basics of type.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 10:14 AM
I am truly starting to appreciate the value of good design education... which you obviously appear to be lacking.

Typography is essential. You shouldn't even be touching InDesign or Illustrator for a living if you don't know the basics of type.

Welcome in the world of netherland. And talk about this next year and you will become to hear that I will know an lot more of it than.

I still didn't have the whole education so stop talking like an bitch.

Btw. I know every function about these programs, and you think typography is important? There must be an disconnection in your brain.

voodoomagik
09-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Welcome in the world of netherland. And talk about this next year and you will become to hear that I will know an lot more of it than.

I still didn't have the whole education so stop talking like an bitch.

are you typing with ya foot?

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 10:17 AM
are you typing with ya foot?

Are you talking without an brain, ohw wait we still got this function damn how does that work again... *tries to figure out how an ignore list works*

Edit: *found out how an ignore list works*

wheelchairman
09-26-2005, 10:17 AM
My idea of art, is that it should be something, edgy, offensive, and out there.

Like impressionism was to romanticism, punk rock to beatle mania, etc. etc.

But then again, that's an over-used answer by a lot of people, and my experience with art, and understanding of it, is pathetically limited.

voodoomagik
09-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Are you talking without an brain, ohw wait we still got this function damn how does that work again... *tries to figure out how an ignore list works*

Edit: *found out how an ignore list works*

scuse me, an , i was just thinking an, what an idiot you are an, and the an ignore list is an too much of an complicated an mechanism for you to handle..an...

Sunny
09-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Btw. I know every function about these programs, and you think typography is important? There must be an disconnection in your brain.

oh my god. this settles it. you're fucking retarded.

i don't care what you can do in Illustrator or Photoshop or InDesign. I know all of these too, PLUS a bunch of other programs. And it doesn't matter how good you are in any of them. You need to understand how type works in order to use it effectively. It's not even my OPINION. It's a fucking FACT.

Go to a REAL design school for a year or two and we might be able to talk then.

offspringrammsteinfan
09-26-2005, 10:26 AM
oh my god. this settles it. you're fucking retarded.

i don't care what you can do in Illustrator or Photoshop or InDesign. I know all of these too, PLUS a bunch of other programs. And it doesn't matter how good you are in any of them. You need to understand how type works in order to use it effectively. It's not even my OPINION. It's a fucking FACT.

Go to a REAL design school for a year or two and we might be able to talk then.

I know how it works, I just don't like to know all about the makers of it. Thank you very much.

And as you might know: This is my last post in this topic otherwise I might become ill of you.

Endymion
09-26-2005, 10:43 AM
so wait.. if reproductions are not art, is it the 'original' photograph that is art, or the negative? is the art the physical item or the reproduction of said item upon your retina? if a film can be art, is it the reel or the projected light that is art? the image upon the screen?