PDA

View Full Version : Offspring Ripped Off Of Nirvana

AtticusF
11-24-2004, 03:45 PM
I think it is very possible that Offspring may have copied off of Nirvana, I love Offspring they're awesome, but ehhh! Offspring and Nirvana are both on my playlist and right next to each other, The song of Offspring - Self Esteem, has the exact same Guitar riff and Drumming as Nirvana's - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Possibly one of their greatest hit)
Listen to the Guitar riffs and Drumming carefully, reply back to my thread and let me know what you think. LISTEN BEFORE YOU WRITE

Peace,
Atticus

P.S. Don't hate me for writting this, it just came to my discovery and I just wanted to share it.

Andrew14
11-24-2004, 03:48 PM
it may sound the same but its not

nirvana is cool

UgLy_eLf
11-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Its hard to stay completely original, most rythem riffs are taken, probably sound the same yeah so what, so do plenty of other songs. I don't care the songs sound different to me. I've played both songs on guitar, they're very different.

Ezz
11-24-2004, 09:18 PM
They do sound a little similar but I don't think Offspring stole it from Nirvana

*~DextersBitch~*
11-24-2004, 09:27 PM
undefinedundefinedundefined Seriously, the Offspring would never rip off Nirvana, if anything Nirvana ripped off them, get of the bongwater kid!!!!

Kit :cool:

borgy
11-24-2004, 10:47 PM
undefinedundefinedundefined Seriously, the Offspring would never rip off Nirvana, if anything Nirvana ripped off them, get of the bongwater kid!!!!

Kit :cool:

Wow your a dumbass

Smells Like Teen Spirit (1991)
Self Esteem (1994)

Not that i think they ripped them of, but there are the facts.

Stevo
11-24-2004, 10:49 PM
ok, here's one for ya......

that nirvana sound aye?..... unique to nirvana ?

i'd say not

go play DIRTY MAGIC, tell me thats not the most "nirvana sounding" song you've heard

pity it was released years and years prior to nirvana being nirvana.

neocon58
11-24-2004, 11:15 PM
I think it is very possible that Offspring may have copied off of Nirvana, I love Offspring they're awesome, but ehhh! Offspring and Nirvana are both on my playlist and right next to each other, The song of Offspring - Self Esteem, has the exact same Guitar riff and Drumming as Nirvana's - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Possibly one of their greatest hit)
Listen to the Guitar riffs and Drumming carefully, reply back to my thread and let me know what you think. LISTEN BEFORE YOU WRITE

Peace,
Atticus

P.S. Don't hate me for writting this, it just came to my discovery and I just wanted to share it.

one similar song. one.

StayInTheHouseCarl
11-25-2004, 07:19 AM
, The song of Offspring - Self Esteem, has the exact same Guitar riff and Drumming as Nirvana's - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Possibly one of their greatest hit)
ok, self esteem isnt in the same key as smells like teen spirit, and if you listen to other bands at the time they use a similar riff. and again the drum, similar in some parts,different in others, but not same in all. LISTEN BEFORE YOU WRITE., to quote you.

Vera
11-25-2004, 09:20 AM
OMFG, man.

Tch. Could not care less.

Untouchable
11-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Perhaps some ideas came from nirvana originally, but stole is such a harsh word.

selfrighteoussuicide
11-25-2004, 02:14 PM
vultures sounds like come as you are

StayInTheHouseCarl
11-25-2004, 10:54 PM
yeah, and get a job sounds like the beatles. but its that their influences show through more clearly in some songs than others.

GreenTerror
11-25-2004, 11:16 PM
seriously. WHO REALLY CARES? the offspring kick ass. just be glad we have the offspring and dont worry about what they sound like or who sounds like them!

The Cheshire Cat
11-25-2004, 11:52 PM
And everyone knows Why Don't You Get a Job is Obla-di, Obla-da, but that's not the point.

When working in a medium like rock music, where you don't tend to use very many instruments and stick to simpler tunes that you can hum along to, there are only so many possible guitar riffs you can use. For instance, about 25% of all rock songs (And pop songs... And actually most genres of music) use the 8 bar blues chord structure. It's simple, catchy, and you can do a lot of things with it.

Don't compare songs using chord structure, a lot of songs use similar chord structures.

bouncingcoles
11-26-2004, 08:51 AM
everyone rips off nirvana these days. but dexter was influenced a bit from kurts song writing

Amelie
11-26-2004, 01:43 PM
there's always 2 (or more!) songs that sounds similar...everybody's imitating everyone, subconsciously perhaps...

The Offspring is still the best!!! :D

n_o_o_d_l_e_z
11-27-2004, 09:54 AM
I alsoo don't think they did

saska de o...
11-27-2004, 10:49 AM
i think thaht u shouldnt compare Offspring and Nirvana... these are differents types of music... :/

ThrashedThrasher
11-27-2004, 01:45 PM
What difference does it make? Tons of bands rip off other bands. And hell, Nirvana blew some serious Mongolian cock.

saska de o...
11-27-2004, 01:48 PM
oh, really?? kul...

Floyd the Barber
11-28-2004, 08:51 AM

Peace,
Atticus

I think you're wrong. The two riffs are similar but they don't really sound the same at all. The one in Self Esteem is a lot slower and more upbeat. Just listen to the two songs - you really think they sound the same? There arre only so many guitar riffs/drum beats in the world, it's inevitable that two songs might use the same riff once in a while.

Why would The Offspring rip off Nirvana? I mean, besides the fact that they play totally different types of music, by the time they recorded Self Esteem Nirvana had come out with In Utero. If they were gonna rip off a song that famous (which I don't think they did), why would they wait three years to do it?

Vera
11-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Nirvana blew some serious Mongolian cock.
Do you know where Mongolia is?

Just curious.

sebaspunk
11-28-2004, 11:54 AM
i don't think that offspring ripped nirvanas song
both guitar riffs are very different and self steem is way better than smells like teen spirit

saska de o...
11-28-2004, 11:56 AM
sebaspunk, what nationality r u?? :confused:

Unnatural Disaster
11-28-2004, 12:25 PM
I can play both Self Esteem and Smells Like Teen Spirit on the guitar and they are actually different...even though they sound similar.....