PDA

View Full Version : More mods?

Paint_It_Black
09-30-2005, 05:05 AM
Due to the amazing amount of spam in this forum I'm wondering if perhaps two moderators aren't enough. I'm not suggesting the two we currently have don't do a good job, it just appears to me that it might be quite a heavy workload for two people. What do the rest of you think? Please, no posts complaining about the mods in general, only spammers complain about the mods and we already know what you think. Just post if you think two is enough or if you think more would be helpful.

The Talking Pie
09-30-2005, 05:18 AM
I think that more would be helpful. The spamming would probably increase to match, but I'm willing to be foolish enough to hold onto the hope that it might work.

Tijs
09-30-2005, 05:21 AM
I don't think we need more mods, but maybe if they re-arranged it a bit. 'Tour Talk' and 'Offspring.com Talk' both have 2 mods, and they could do with just 1 I think. So maybe moving the mods from there to here?

Tizzalicious
09-30-2005, 05:22 AM
I don't think we need more mods, but maybe if they re-arranged it a bit. 'Tour Talk' and 'Offspring.com Talk' both have 2 mods, and they could do with just 1 I think. So maybe moving the mods from there to here?

There is a LOT of spam in Offspring.com talk. Please don't move one of us.

Paint_It_Black
09-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Well, Tijs, that's essentially a better version of what I was proposing. I feel we could use more mods here, and if we could do that without needing to create any new ones, then sure I'm all for it.

I don't feel the level of spamming is proportianate to how many mods we have. In fact, if we could get to a point where any spam is deleted almost immediately, they might even give up altogether, given enough time. Sure, they might revolt at first, but I think it would soon go away when they realise they can't accomplish anything. I doubt the average bbs spammer would have it in them to launch a sustained spam war against the mods, when failure would be guaranteed.

The Talking Pie
09-30-2005, 05:30 AM
I agree; after a while they'd give up. But I think you underestimate the stupidity of people. They'd definately try.

the_offsprings_monkey
09-30-2005, 05:33 AM
Who makes people mod's anyway and who is the admin :confused:

Paint_It_Black
09-30-2005, 05:38 AM
I agree; after a while they'd give up. But I think you underestimate the stupidity of people. They'd definately try.

But if there were enough mods to handle it their pathetic whining could be quite amusing.

There was a poll to elect the mods.

The Talking Pie
09-30-2005, 06:10 AM
What might be a better idea would be to just let all the mods have free rein over all forums. I can only imagine that it'd be annoying to mod one forum and be unable to deal with problem posts/posters in another forum while the other mods are offline.

Tizzalicious
09-30-2005, 06:15 AM
What might be a better idea would be to just let all the mods have free rein over all forums. I can only imagine that it'd be annoying to mod one forum and be unable to deal with problem posts/posters in another forum while the other mods are offline.

I agree with that one. Or if that would get too messy, only use that for really obvious spam or something.

wheelchairman
09-30-2005, 06:40 AM
hmm more mods won't make much of a difference. What we need is the right to ban people. I don't even think it needs to be consensus, because we know best who the spammers are.

Paint_It_Black
09-30-2005, 07:48 AM

That would make sense to me, if the current mods liked the idea.

hmm more mods won't make much of a difference. What we need is the right to ban people. I don't even think it needs to be consensus, because we know best who the spammers are.

I would certainly trust mods with the ability to ban. But couldn't anyone just sign up again with a different user name? I agree that it wouldn't need to be a concenus, but a concenus would mean that no mod in particular could be hassled over banning someone.

2 mods are enough. If theres two more mods I will quit posting.

You know that's going to make almost everyone want more mods, right?

platinumpt
09-30-2005, 07:57 AM
It would be a good idea.... but don't forget: more mods will attract more spam. It works just the same way as freeways with traffic and shopping malls with people.

Duracell
09-30-2005, 08:29 AM
2 mods are enough. If theres two more mods I will quit posting.

Yeah same Here (http://www.purevolume.com/numberonefan/music)

Nina
09-30-2005, 09:16 AM
I think two moderators are enough. They should have the ability to ban, but only those two should be able to do that...I dunno why, I just dont like the idea of every single moderator to be able to ban...but I do trust the two mods of General Chat and therefore they should have that ability.

JoY
09-30-2005, 09:41 AM
I agree with Nina for some part. the ability to ban isn't really necessary in other forums anyway, so it would be logical & reasonable to give mods as little power as possible, so they're not in an actual position of authority, but more in a guidance position.

however moderators in this forums have the exact same function & although the whole banning procedure takes up a lot more time in this forum, because there's a whole lot more spammers here to get rid of, I feel giving the moderators in this forum the freedom of banning would cause problems with the members of the board. I fully trust them with the ability to ban, but I'm afraid it would just fuel the discussion against the power moderators already have, even though it's not that much & purely positive.

plus it would be weird to single out Dave & Endy, just because they've got a more crowded forum. it draws attention to them, that I personally would highly dislike. especially with all the negative attention that already has been floating around. my suggestion is we just stick together, make sure every post that's out of place here gets reported & also members that don't belong here get reported for banning. if I was Endy or Dave.. I wouldn't want this. (but quite obviously I'm not) it only turns people against them & makes them even more paranoid.

Endymion
09-30-2005, 09:48 AM
you know why i don't think mods should ban? because mods are per-section, but bans would have to be board wide. it clearly trashes the separation of power or whatever the fuck it is.

Endymion
09-30-2005, 09:51 AM
and joy... you seem to be out of the loop: the admin has ignored all emails for at least the past month. bans are NOT happening, not matter how many mods request them.

[edit]
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/cruelworld/1128091995914.jpg
that's pretty much what happened.

TheUnholyNightbringer
09-30-2005, 09:53 AM
The admin hasn't been responding to email since at least when the Duracell stuff started happening. At LEAST. It's not good enough.

platinumpt
09-30-2005, 09:59 AM
By the way, was it me, or a spammer's post just got deleted?

JoY
09-30-2005, 10:06 AM
you know why i don't think mods should ban? because mods are per-section, but bans would have to be board wide. it clearly trashes the separation of power or whatever the fuck it is.
I totally agree. our poweurz are limited & devided over more people for a reason.

JoY
09-30-2005, 10:07 AM
and joy... you seem to be out of the loop: the admin has ignored all emails for at least the past month. bans are NOT happening, not matter how many mods request them.

[edit]
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/cruelworld/1128091995914.jpg
that's pretty much what happened.
*snickers*

fuckie. in that case a new admin would simply do the entire trick. not more mods, or more mod-poweurz, or whatever.

TheUnholyNightbringer
09-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Is there no way to ban people from just a single section?

JoY
09-30-2005, 10:08 AM
not yet, I believe.

Vera
09-30-2005, 10:43 AM
At least the site still works. Ach nein, not another WebDude! Ich kann nicht mehr!

HornyPope
09-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Then, perhaps a moderator should be promoted to Administrator?

No, because the admins can access sensitive information like users' password and view his PM box, and we probably wouldn't want that. You are on a right track however. What we could have is give one moderator a banning power--if possible. I initialy opposed this idea because I was confident that the current administrator could take care of things on his own--remember how involved he was the first few months--but now that he has pulled a WebDude and dissapeared in the unknown, i'll support a decision to grant one or two of us the power to ban.

Also, this is probably obvious but don't be shy to talk to a moderator of a forum if there's a case of spamming under way. I might not be logged on, but i'm seldom away from any given computer. If you hit me up on aim or left me an sms, I could address a problem, unless i'm totaly busy or away, within several minutes.

the_offsprings_monkey
09-30-2005, 12:18 PM
MAKE ME A MOD AND I'LL GIVE YOU BABEIES :D ;) :rolleyes:

ruroken
09-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Have you tried emailing all 5 admins, Dave?

HornyPope
09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
I only offer to ban the spammers. They deserve no deliberation process. Ban them without a second thought.

Assume a scenario like yesterday: A nasty spammer attacks a forum. Someone notifies the ban-capable moderator, and after having confirmed that we are in fact dealing with a spammer, he proceeds to ban him. Where's the nuance?

ruroken
09-30-2005, 01:23 PM
But I remember reading that they do stuff even though it doesn't say they are online...of course that sounds wierd.

I hope they don't get paid or anything for being the admin...

*Doesn't know much about boards (me)*

HornyPope
09-30-2005, 01:42 PM
The only people will bitch are the ones that bitch all the time, but who the fuck listens to them? The rest of us know the spammer got what's coming to him.

But if you want to be on a safe side, let us make a BAN topic with a list of all spammers that got banned, coupled with 2-3 screenshots as proof. Who's gonna argue that? No need to make any form of a vote or anything. We're mature people and always resorted to speach (well typing) alone when dealing with issues on the board. The truth will surface if it has to, about someone being banned injustly. No big deal.

0r4ng3
09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
wishomie and Duracell: Does anyone really give a fuck whether or not you post (excluding each other)? A better protest would be "if it's kept as two mods, we'll go away forever".

Endymion
10-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Have you tried emailing all 5 admins, Dave?
we were given an email address to contact.

i'm also of the opinion that there is no need to ban anyone but spammers. idiots are a natural part of the board.

Mota Boy
10-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Personally, I think that one of the mods should be elevated to the level of "admin" to be able to handle banning people. Obviously, this is a very difficult process, so the mods should decide amongst themselves who is the most qualified. The manner by which they determine who should become admin should be based upon the historic "dibs" method.

Mota Boy
10-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Dibs.

(Dibs.)

Endymion
10-01-2005, 12:43 AM
incorrect, we must draw straws.

||||||||||||
||||||||||||
||||||||||||
||||||||||||
------------
------------
------------
------------
||||||| ||||
||||||| ||||

HornyPope
10-01-2005, 12:48 AM
Ages before beauty, kids. It's my position to take.

But anyways, admin is too much because an admin can access a person's PM box and passwords. Not something you want one of us touching. Merely a mod with banning power... if that thing exists.

Tizzalicious
10-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Ages before beauty, kids. It's my position to take.

But anyways, admin is too much because an admin can access a person's PM box and passwords. Not something you want one of us touching. Merely a mod with banning power... if that thing exists.

I don't think that's true. My friend is admin on another board, and he says he can't see PMs or passwords.

And mods with banning powers do exist, on some boards, but I guess it all depends on what kind of board is used.

HornyPope
10-01-2005, 01:52 AM
Well on the last board the administrator could (access the PM box), and the passwords are not encrypted within the board root folder (accessible via FTP with an admin login). Not sure how much has changed.

Yeah it depends on the board and all. All I care is we find something that fits for us.

Tizzalicious
10-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Hmm, I guess the accessing PM box depends on the kind of board too?

I think banningpowers would be good. For all of us. I don't think anyone would abuse them. Plus it's the best way to get a spammer fast, the biggest chance one of us is online. A ban for a week or something should do though, to give the admin time to take care of it. And to just stop the person spamming.

the_GoDdEsS
10-01-2005, 02:10 AM
Yeah, what Vlad pointed out. Being able to ban without accessing the PM box and password.

Izie
10-01-2005, 03:05 AM
I'll just be nice and agree wirh Sims/Tizz/Vlad/whoever else said what they said since I wasn't around during the whole debate.

Vera
10-01-2005, 03:42 AM
I'm still unsure about the banning powers.

the_GoDdEsS
10-01-2005, 03:54 AM
Omg, the mods agree with each other! Look at how they lick each other's arses! ":rolleyes: "

The Talking Pie
10-01-2005, 04:28 AM
Well on the last board the administrator could (access the PM box), and the passwords are not encrypted within the board root folder (accessible via FTP with an admin login). Not sure how much has changed.

Yeah it depends on the board and all. All I care is we find something that fits for us.
Indeed. I've admined boards where you can view PMs and so forth. Though I must say that's pretty lazy (read: stupid) coding to store unencrypted passwords. It depends upon the forum software used, really (i.e. if the programmers have enough boredom/time to implement the feature). I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't put it past vBulletin.

HornyPope
10-01-2005, 11:35 AM
My only siginificant experience comes from those very infopop boards. The coders didn't bother to encrypt the passwords I guess because they thought no one but the admin will access the root folder. *chuckle* They probably do now though.