PDA

View Full Version : AFI/Dexter??

Offspring-Fanatic
10-06-2005, 10:03 PM
alrighty, this may have been already posted, but i dont care and i want to know.

Apparently, AFI has left Nitro b/c Dexter so-said that he released an album of all their old stuff w/o the consent of AFI. so they apparently are really pissedat him and left the label. true fans say that they are not going to buy the album so the proceeds will not go to "Mr. Holland."

quotes from whereever my friend got this from, "yeah and then he sold a record with all their old stuff, without their consent and it pissed them off"

"And if you think AFI sold out with Sing the Sorrow, what about Dexter Holland? As soon as AFI left his label (which was his idea), he started advertizing afi's back albums like crazy. Then he puts out a retrospective without afi's consent. Then again, he doesn't need to. His label has copyrights o those songs. Another reason I can't get myself to buy this is because I can't get the image of Mr.Holland buying a guitar-shaped pool with the proceeds from AFI sales."

actually my friend made up the guitar-shaped pool part.

but its a metaphor or exageration or whatever you want to call it. I don't believe (if he did) he would do something like this.

I don't care (well, actaully i do a little) but Dexter is still one of my most favoriteiest ppl in the world, but im a little upset if this is true.

what do you take of this?

Drummerguy123
10-06-2005, 10:07 PM
I dunno. I never really percieved Dexter as a jerk and I don't think he would do something like that without their consent. They probably just wanted an excuse to leave Nitro.

Offspring-Fanatic
10-06-2005, 10:14 PM
exactly...he seems like a really nice person and i dont think he would do something like that...it seems really...well...low

bd007h
10-06-2005, 10:15 PM
yeah, that doesn't sound like something Dexter would do.

Drummerguy123
10-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I dunno. This seems kinda fishy to be true. Dexter is way too cool to do something like this.

peko
10-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Well, as much as I love Dexter, it's a possibility this could be true. All of you are saying, "Dexter is too cool to do something like this, doesn't seem like he would" but none of us know him personally, so you never know.

Dexter isn't perfect. Everyone here has probably done something that most people would look down upon, whether you regretted it or not. Besides, who doesn't want a little extra mulah?

Offspring-Fanatic
10-06-2005, 10:35 PM
you're right, but i mean. c'mon. that's not right to do something like that to a fellow band on your label. it..its just not cool. it doesnt seem (from what ive seen and heard from him) that he would do something like that

Hypodermic_89
10-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah it's hard to believe that Dexter would do that to AFI. He did the backup vocals for several songs and covered Total Immortal, so I think they're good friends, which would lead to the conclusion that Dexter wouldn't do such a thing.. Unless he's a real dumbass jerk, which I find hard to believe

Manic subsidal
10-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Dexter has always seemed like a jerk to me. He reminds me of those people who always want it their way. Close-minded people or something. Greg K on the otherhand, awww I just love that adorable bass player :D

Argh... thou shall love all Offspring members equally.

StayInTheHouseCarl
10-06-2005, 11:38 PM
he released the retrospective after AFI left the label. Sure, maybe it wasnt the best thing for him to do, but legally, the label was on steady ground to do it.

Tonez
10-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Dexter told AFI that he couldn't promote their music as much as he'd like to w/ nitro and gave them the choice to stick it out w/ nitro or find a major label that could give them better promotion. Dexter probably hoped they'd stick it out w/ him but they decided to leave or something like that i'll find a link about it...

LINK (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12534&highlight=Nitro) There ya go.

Dexter_italy
10-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Nitro released that album after Afi left the label. Afi said only that they didn't think that they were enough famous to have that kind of album out, but they weren't really pissed off. epitaph released mission from god without the band permission, I don't know if the band was pissed off by that
________
Alaska Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://alaska.dispensaries.org/)

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
10-07-2005, 04:37 AM
Old news, and you got it wrong. AFI left long before the retrospective album came out. Dexter suggested they move onto a bigger label. AFI assumed Sing The Sorrow would just be another Nitro release. It half was, because they did owe them another album so they released it on Nitro/Dreamworks. It was mainly Dexter's idea for them to leave, because he felt they had evolved so much while on his label and feels that to go any further they need to expand onto a major label. Yeah, AFI weren't really angry about the retrospective album, but they were annoyed/embarrased because they feel like they had only just begun.

Little_Miss_1565
10-07-2005, 06:35 AM
The last few people who have posted have it right.

About the "guitar-shaped pool"--If Dexter bought one with proceeds from AFI's back catalogue, then it only matches the 5,000 other guitar-shaped pools he could have bought with proceeds from The Offspring.

Italia311
10-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Yeah really eh....

shnooble
10-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Dexter has always seemed like a jerk to me. He reminds me of those people who always want it their way. Close-minded people or something. Greg K on the otherhand, awww I just love that adorable bass player :D

Argh... thou shall love all Offspring members equally.

Me too, he rules :D

H1T_That
10-07-2005, 04:27 PM
dexter wouldnt do that, its probably an AFI excuse to leave as they truly know offpsrong are better than them.....muahahahaha

Offspring-Fanatic
10-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Old news, and you got it wrong.

Look alright, the information I posted were quotes. I was trying to see what others took of this. So you dont need to get on my case about it, alright. You could have been just like (which obviously, you didnt take) hey, its not all that new and here's some correct info. not like some know-it-all.

This was just information that my friend gave me, and I posted it up here. Don't put me accountable for wrong info.

nameless
10-08-2005, 05:26 PM
alrighty, this may have been already posted, but i dont care and i want to know.

Apparently, AFI has left Nitro b/c Dexter so-said that he released an album of all their old stuff w/o the consent of AFI. so they apparently are really pissedat him and left the label. true fans say that they are not going to buy the album so the proceeds will not go to "Mr. Holland."

quotes from whereever my friend got this from, "yeah and then he sold a record with all their old stuff, without their consent and it pissed them off"

"And if you think AFI sold out with Sing the Sorrow, what about Dexter Holland? As soon as AFI left his label (which was his idea), he started advertizing afi's back albums like crazy. Then he puts out a retrospective without afi's consent. Then again, he doesn't need to. His label has copyrights o those songs. Another reason I can't get myself to buy this is because I can't get the image of Mr.Holland buying a guitar-shaped pool with the proceeds from AFI sales."

actually my friend made up the guitar-shaped pool part.

but its a metaphor or exageration or whatever you want to call it. I don't believe (if he did) he would do something like this.

I don't care (well, actaully i do a little) but Dexter is still one of my most favoriteiest ppl in the world, but im a little upset if this is true.

what do you take of this?

there was somethign wrong there anyway, you said afi were pissed off and left the label but then dexter suggested them leaving! anyway, i heard dexter told them they were outgrowing the resources at nitro, not sure on the story with the greatest hits!

bouncingcoles
10-08-2005, 09:02 PM
who cares. business is business

Fall-children
10-08-2005, 10:05 PM
the story is that A.F.I. left the label because they were getting better for that label and they went to Dreamworks, Sing the Sorrow is only Dreamworks the Nitro pciture on the album was only for consideration to the label that saw them grew up, After that Dexter released the Retrospective, A.F.I. said in their website, that they are fine with their past but is to soon to put a retrospective, they said thy were just in the beggining, and blah blah blah conlcusion The Retrosepective is not an official A.F.I release (is not even on the official web site) and God doesnt exists.

--peace--

Original prankstA
10-08-2005, 10:16 PM
aw that sucks they were the best band CURRENTLY on the label