PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded SAT...

Jebus
10-07-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm so incredibly stressed out right now. Tommorow morning I'll have to take the test that will pretty much determine what college I'll be able to get into. My gpa is horrible so I'll have to try to make it up by getting a high sat score. I'm ready for everything except for the math part. I've pretty much forgoten all my geometry considering that I took it like 3 years ago. I've been reviewing it for the last couple of days but I'm sure I'm not ready yet. Being the dumbass that I am, I didn't take it the other times so this will be my only shot at it.
To give this thread a point, discuss your former sat experiences and scores.

peko
10-07-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm taking the SAT in November, and SAT II's in December. Really cutting it close, but I gotta do it. I keep on changing my mind about what kind of college I want to go to, because I can get in fine to a Cal State, but now I want to go to a UC so I need to take SAT II's. I haven't really been preparing for these tests at all, I need to start studying my ass off.

I took the SAT last March, and I got a 1530 because I didn't study at all. Just kind of a trial run for me, so hopefully I can significantly improve my score this year.

Human
10-07-2005, 11:16 PM
I don't have any experience of it but I have to say to everybody, good luck. I hope you do well.

T-6005
10-07-2005, 11:18 PM
I took the old SAT. I'd been out drinking the night before and basically passed out in my bed. I was still really wasted when I showed up to take it, and sat next to two people I knew that made fun of me about it. I was so gone that I even ended up filling out 28 answers on the first section... which had 25 questions. I ended up getting a 1400. That shut them up.

As for the SAT2s, I took Math, Literature and Writing sober, and ended up with 740 on the writing and 710s on the others. No good stories that day, unfortunately.

Jebus
10-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I want to get into a UC too but chances are pretty good that I'll end up in Cal State because of my crappy grades. Well, Call States aren't bad but still...

JohnnyNemesis
10-07-2005, 11:24 PM
My girlfriend got a 1560 on the old exam. She's insane.

I dropped out of high school, and ended up taking the SAT just last January. Not being in the high school mindset and not studying at all was a huge disadvantage, and I still got an 1140 total. (640 Verbal, 500 Math)

Because I came in as a Sophomore Transfer, and not a Freshman, however, the SAT meant nothing. For Freshmen, it's crucial.

T-6005
10-07-2005, 11:27 PM
My girlfriend got a 1560 on the old exam. She's insane.

That score is unbelievable. Like... wow. I'm so impressed by that. I knew a girl who got a 1580, but she was a bitch, which took something away from it.

JohnnyNemesis
10-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Yeah, it's definitely impressive because it's an incredibly difficult exam. It's funny though, because once you guys get to college you'll realize how completely ridiculous and meritless the SAT exam actually is. It says nothing about your abilities as a student.

peko
10-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I want to get into a UC too but chances are pretty good that I'll end up in Cal State because of my crappy grades. Well, Call States aren't bad but still...

Yeah, a UC is more preferrable. There's always the UC's with the high acceptance rates, like Riverside and Santa Cruz if you're down in southern California.

Endymion
10-08-2005, 12:44 AM
most UCs have gone down the toilet the past twenty years, they're not really better than the average CSU other than that you can get a doctorate from them. i'm talking undergrad here, mind you. the physics department at UCI currently is rediculous.

Mota Boy
10-08-2005, 01:33 AM
What I adore about the SATs is the absolutism of the scores. If you get a 1340, you might think that you're hot shit, but someone with a 1350, even though it means the difference between answering one question wrong and not answering it at all, completely trumps you. It doesn't matter if the person sitting next to you gets ten points higher or four hundred, they still win. Everything. Absolutely. It's some sort of test that we've all been taught that defines our future - defines who we are and how smart we are and how successful we'll be, so we accept it as the end-all be-all of personal measurement. It's a national dick-measuring contest in ten-point increments.

Three of my good friends scored 1600. One of them is planning on becoming a percussion teacher. Me? I got a 1900.

princess
10-08-2005, 04:52 AM
what exactly are SATs? we have an exam here called sats (pronounced sats, not s-a-ts) that we took aged 7, 11 and 14 but they had no effect whatsoever on our education the next year let alone our uni choices. aren't you guys all really young anyway? sounds a bit unfair to expect people your ages (im guessing 16ish) to be taking exams now to determin your future as adults. or maybe i just had it easy, i dunno :p

Little_Miss_1565
10-08-2005, 06:53 AM
I just dropped my sister off to take the SAT this morning. The test is a huge crock of shit, and yet we visted schools for her yesterday who basically called the SAT the "lingua franca" of academics. Bastards.

My school doesn't accept SAT scores. ROXORZ. I scored really well, though. Claibe's friends are all huge dorks--one of them even said "I'm sorry" after I said what my SAT score was. ;)

Duracell
10-08-2005, 07:45 AM
SAT < ACT .

Offspring7
10-08-2005, 09:18 AM
i take the psat test next wednesday. a little nervous, but mine doesn't count towards college.

0r4ng3
10-08-2005, 11:34 AM
I've never taken the SATs, but I'm taking the PSATs next week. I also took it last year (as a sophomore), and I got a 1630 out of 2400. If it were the old test, I would've gotten an 1100 out of 1600.

Betty
10-08-2005, 01:04 PM
What with these "old tests" and "new tests", I really have no idea what an average score, good score, top possible score, etc, is.

Endymion
10-08-2005, 01:12 PM
the old one is out of 1600, a score of 1200 is in the 80th percentile apparently. all i know about the new one is that it's out of 2400.

Mota Boy
10-08-2005, 01:34 PM
I scored really well, though. Claibe's friends are all huge dorks--one of them even said "I'm sorry" after I said what my SAT score was.
Hahahaha, McElroy isn't the best representation of my friends... if I remember correctly, one of the first things he said to you was "Ahhh, you idiot!" after you told him that you were working an unpaid summer internship.

He's missing some sort of essential "tact" gland, but he's good people.

Jebus
10-08-2005, 03:54 PM
The new sat has an essay and the analogies were removed. The essay, the english, and math section are all worth 800 each.
So I just took it today. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Everything was pretty easy but it was just a matter of time that fucked me up a bit. I'm glad I got it over with.

Jebus
10-24-2005, 04:12 AM
I just checked my scores online and I did pretty bad. I got 540 in Critical Reading, 520 in math, and 620 in Writing. This makes a total of 1680 out of 2400. *cries*