PDA

View Full Version : Smartest on BBS?

SkunkIt
10-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Who do you think the smartest person on the board is? If the person is not on the poll, you can post their names here.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Make a poll and i'll tell you

Human
10-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Tunb .

Sinister
10-08-2005, 05:50 PM
wishomie is the smartest person here.
and just proved us the opposite.

Rag Doll
Endy. Definitely.

bd007h
Tunb .

this is "who's the smartest" not who'd you want teh secs with.

SkunkIt
10-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Endy. Definitely.oops, I forgot to add Endymion.

Human
I know .

JohnnyNemesis
Definitely Mota Boy. Endymion is close.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-08-2005, 05:52 PM
I'd say me, but im really stupid so im gonna say johnny as he can spell really weird words.

nieh
10-08-2005, 05:53 PM
depends on what kinda smartness, but most likely Endy.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Im the smartest because im leaving home soon :D

Sinister
10-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Endy is the smartest.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-08-2005, 07:54 PM
I think you'll find I am http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1959/picture91hi.jpg

Rancid_Guyxxx
10-08-2005, 07:56 PM
I would actually say you are one of the dumbest. Remember tittys?

the_offsprings_monkey
10-08-2005, 07:57 PM
I would actually say you are one of the dumbest. Remember tittys?
TITTYS.....where...FUCKING TEASE

XYlophonetreeZ
10-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Mota Boy. The Goddess gets an honorable mention. Shit, I'll vote for her because it's a fucking crime that no one has yet. Even though that list is genuinely shitty and leaves out a lot of the more intelligent members.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-08-2005, 08:47 PM
I think you'll find I am http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1959/picture91hi.jpg
You forget I have the clever pose down to a T

BREAK
10-09-2005, 12:06 AM
This topic & everybody who voted in it is stupid. Lots of intelligent people didn't even make the list. Go fuck yourself in hell, world at large.

Trippy
10-09-2005, 12:08 AM
HeadAroundU for sure.

Homer
10-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I'd say Endy.

This topic & everybody who voted in it is stupid. Lots of intelligent people didn't even make the list. Go fuck yourself in hell, world at large.

Sad because you're not on? That's what other's for.

Also, how can people who voted be automatically stupid? Sure, idiots DID vote in it, but how would VOTING in it make people stupid? Be careful with the words you choose.

Human
10-09-2005, 12:15 AM
I was the only person who voted tunb. :(

T-6005
10-09-2005, 12:19 AM
That's because everyone voted other, as they realized I wasn't on the poll.

Jebus
10-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Endy or Mota.

I agree.

Vera
10-09-2005, 02:56 AM
The correct answer is Mota Boy.

*steals Ozy's catch phrase, hides it under her mattress*

wheelchairman
10-09-2005, 03:40 AM
Depends on the smartness. For different reasons I would say that Johnny, Endy, Mota Boy and Vlad (yeah, like his ego isn't already big enough) make up the smartest areas of the board.

Vera
10-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Yeah, that's true. There's different sorts of intelligence.

offspring fan
10-09-2005, 04:09 AM
me...............................

Betty
10-09-2005, 11:26 AM
A pretty silly thread...

Vera is crazy creatively witty smart.

Hornypope is life smart/creative smart.

Endy is total math genius smart.

Izie is secret smart (or well, I'm only assuming, cause it's a secret).

Mota Boy, Simona, 1565, pretty all around smart.

Sin Studly sometimes shocks me with the brilliance behind the stuff he comes out with, I don't even know how I'd describe that.

I'm sorta, kinda a little smart as well.

A few people I think are absolutely brilliant in the above list, and a bunch of people I think are pretty fucking smart too but didn't mention... so yeah. It's obviously impossible to say.

wheelchairman
10-09-2005, 11:28 AM
You are smart Betty. I would've mentioned you, had you posted more often, you sort of slipped my mind. Not only for political stuff, but I believe you also do the sciences at a high level. And that's something I avoid for the life of me, so I usually hold those folks in high esteem.

Endymion
10-09-2005, 11:34 AM
You are smart Betty. I would've mentioned you, had you posted more often, you sort of slipped my mind. Not only for political stuff, but I believe you also do the sciences at a high level. And that's something I avoid for the life of me, so I usually hold those folks in high esteem.

she's a chemist, and she can do organic chemistry which is the only science i've outright failed at before which makes her hella awesome.

dalaksta
10-09-2005, 11:35 AM
unholynightbringer is pretty damn smart

Betty
10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
I almost mentionned you but didn't know how to describe it.

It's hard to keep in the BBS "in crowd"... so quickly forgotten...

the_offsprings_monkey
10-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I think I could win most dumb...not the clever one thats for sure. :(

wheelchairman
10-09-2005, 11:42 AM
You're in crowd. It's not like these popularity contests get a lot of thought put into them.

Betty
10-09-2005, 11:43 AM
she's a chemist, and she can do organic chemistry which is the only science i've outright failed at before which makes her hella awesome.

Calculus/math >>>>>> Organic Chemistry

I used to think I'd be really good in any subject in school but I've since decided I am just not nearly as brilliant in math as a few people are. It's sooo.... abstract... and just requires an entirely different plane of thought.

Sunny
10-09-2005, 11:48 AM

i second that. bah.

Betty
10-09-2005, 11:59 AM
I was gonna put you too, Sunny. You'd be kinda secret smart, like Iz.

*danni*
10-09-2005, 12:12 PM
hmmmm i would have to say wcm but any of them would be able to think of a clever come-back to what ever i say! tunb was close 2nd though... xXx

Megs
10-09-2005, 12:16 PM
out of the list, TUNB. however it appears "other" is winning.

princess
10-09-2005, 12:38 PM
probably sin studly. the stuff he comes out with is either pure genius or complete bollocks... either way it goes straight over my head everytime!

Betty
10-09-2005, 12:43 PM
A good thing to admit to. But still respectable that you did.

Drummerguy123
10-09-2005, 01:05 PM
I voted TUNB, but I forgot about Endy. (Maybe I should be on the list....... :rolleyes: )

platinumpt
10-09-2005, 04:36 PM
off of that list, I'd vote maybe for the goddess or wheelchairman. I don't know, I don't even know them.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
10-09-2005, 04:53 PM
JohnnyNemesis. Clever-wise.

Sin Studly
10-20-2005, 09:02 AM
While everybody on the list is intelligent, none of the people deserving of being considered as the most intelligent on the BBS are included.

This thread is stupid, and SkunkIt continues to fail at life.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Knowledgeable is Endy. Intelligent is Per.

Mota Boy
10-20-2005, 09:41 AM
All I have to say is that Sarah and Sim are wildly underrated.

platinumpt
10-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Yep. People are mistaking "intelligence" with "popularity"

Sin Studly
10-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Knowledgeable is Endy. Intelligent is Per.

Yeah, I don't consider Endy to be as insanely intelligent as most people seem to think he is.

Mota Boy would get my vote, really.

4eh
10-20-2005, 01:37 PM
i don't want to vote, cause someone (me for example) don't know english very well, so sometimes it's hard to explain what you want to say. either way i think Simona, Joy, HulaChick, Anya are rather smart.

memento
10-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Vera is the most witty/life smart

Endy pwns. To understand the universe is where it's at. Thus overall the smartest.

1565 is much like Vera but with political knowledge. However, she refuses to accept judicial legislation so she's gay.

Mota Boy I don't rate that highly. He's really really good at writing but from when we've argued about the law he merely says what most people who don't know about law say. But then again I dont rate Polsci as a subject cause it's too macro.

Betty is a geek. Smart but backs it up with work ethic/desite. I sent her one of my papers one time and she absoultely schooled me in how to write essays. Previously I had done what I was taught at school. Since that I've improved alot and I credit her more than my shitty teachers in my
improvement in writing papers.

Sin Studly is smart but he has poor knowledge so argues stupid in politics.

SicN Twisted; ivy league nuff said.

HP is life smart and entrepreneurial

WCM; well read, seeks knowledge. He and Sic influenced my move to play leftwing. I often find myself using WCM's arguments when playing devils advocate and often find myself saying "that justifies nothing but might is right".

Izie is gay cause she hardly ever posts in politics alot. Yet she's a polsci student and reads philosophy.

That's around it. I'd put myself on that list. I have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and employ a multidisaplinary approach to most things which I think is my strength but again my weakness because I don't know enough about one thing. I don't know math so I don't really rate myself highly. But fuck I can write a well researched essay.

Sin Studly
10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
You're a nigger ; you don't get on the list.

EDIT ; An illiterate nigger.

memento
10-20-2005, 03:32 PM
I can only think of one black phycisist. Perhaps it holds weight. But tons of indians.

Sin Studly
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
How many of them constantly used the acronyms "lol" and "wtf", couldn't tell the difference between "there", "their", and "they're", and were completely and utterly unable to spell the word 'because', no matter how many times they were corrected?

memento
10-20-2005, 03:40 PM
wtf I can spell. I know the difference lol

original_prankster
10-20-2005, 03:50 PM
It pains me to say it, but Sin Studly probably.

And TheUnholyNightbringer, who I actually like.

Sin Studly
10-20-2005, 03:56 PM
How does it feel for all of y'alls to be forced to admit that an uneducated alcoholic smackie who can't even spell is more intelligent than you?

EDIT ; And sexier, too.

Betty
10-20-2005, 04:58 PM
you know what -my- problem with this is?? some people are alpha-orientated (languages, history, political science, geography....), some beta (chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics....). they can be madly intelligent in their own field & rather unintelligent in the other. that still means they're madly intelligent. the funny thing is, being GOOD at beta, often means being seen as extremely intelligent. being good at alpha-courses is far, FAR underrated. at least, in my country. Endy being mentioned, doesn't surprise me at all. Per being mentioned, does. Ivil, but true.

I think the alpha/beta comparison is really important. Personally, on my list of top smartest people I have made in my mind, a lot of them practice "alpha smarts", even though I am a science person. The problem is that when somebody gets "insanely smart" at either math/science or language/culture/etc it's likely they study it, thus neglecting to study the other spectrum of knowledge. However, there ARE people out there who are potentionally very smart at ALL areas of life, or most anyway, but it's really hard to tell since they generally don't practice them all. Sometimes they have the ability to be very good at something, but are just 100% not interested. I think it's interesting to consider some of the great minds of the past who were practised mathematicians/biologists/philosphers/etc/etc. Those people were amazing.

There are just so, so, so many factors that the judgement of intelligence can come down to. Math smarts, language/communication smarts, social smarts, logic smarts, creativity, knowledge, VALUES. That's an interesting one... sometimes I have a hard time really believing somebody is intelligent when they fundamentally disagree with me on something that I believe to be absolutely right, even though I might otherwise think they are incredibly bright. A good example is a disbelief/belief in god. To me I have a hard time believing that being anything other than agnostic is correct. I don't like to rank knowledge too highly and maybe this is biased because I don't think I am very knowledgeable. I don't like to rank math smarts too highly because I know too many of those types who can only really function on that plane. I guess I like to rank logic really higly, just because that can be integrated into every aspect of life and it can really show.

HornyPope
10-21-2005, 06:03 AM
I think the chief element of intelligence is the ability to understand; I don't mean being a good listener or a weasel who nods to anything. I mean grasping the situation and the circumstances and acting up on it. The foreign eye can't tell this however, since the experience has to be first-hand with the intelligent person in question to fully appriciate his abilities.

What comes from one's mouth is, as a rule, is merely rhetoric and two people of different intelligence can spew it alike, so it's perhaps holds the least value when weighting one's intelligence. To me at least.

Further, a person's intelligence is not culmulative. What new knowledge he gathers is merely a force to challenge the pylons his base is laid on. You may or may not see it, but one can spend years of his life arguing against or in favour of what he already knows, just to conclude the years of delibiration with a simple affirmation (or a denial). Such persons are far more respected in my mind because they truely know what they're saying as opposed to those who know what to say. Case in point, I hold in higher esteem those who can prove me why 2 + 2 equals 4 than those who can solve 47x84 in under a second.

JoY
10-21-2005, 06:11 AM
How many of them constantly used the acronyms "lol" and "wtf", couldn't tell the difference between "there", "their", and "they're", and were completely and utterly unable to spell the word 'because', no matter how many times they were corrected?
or "idiot" for that matter, which is so ironic, it's pretty goddamn funny.

JoY
10-21-2005, 06:23 AM
I think the alpha/beta comparison is really important. Personally, on my list of top smartest people I have made in my mind, a lot of them practice "alpha smarts", even though I am a science person. The problem is that when somebody gets "insanely smart" at either math/science or language/culture/etc it's likely they study it, thus neglecting to study the other spectrum of knowledge. However, there ARE people out there who are potentionally very smart at ALL areas of life, or most anyway, but it's really hard to tell since they generally don't practice them all. Sometimes they have the ability to be very good at something, but are just 100% not interested. I think it's interesting to consider some of the great minds of the past who were practised mathematicians/biologists/philosphers/etc/etc. Those people were amazing.

There are just so, so, so many factors that the judgement of intelligence can come down to. Math smarts, language/communication smarts, social smarts, logic smarts, creativity, knowledge, VALUES. That's an interesting one... sometimes I have a hard time really believing somebody is intelligent when they fundamentally disagree with me on something that I believe to be absolutely right, even though I might otherwise think they are incredibly bright. A good example is a disbelief/belief in god. To me I have a hard time believing that being anything other than agnostic is correct. I don't like to rank knowledge too highly and maybe this is biased because I don't think I am very knowledgeable. I don't like to rank math smarts too highly because I know too many of those types who can only really function on that plane. I guess I like to rank logic really higly, just because that can be integrated into every aspect of life and it can really show.
I understand exactly what you mean & very much agree.

I'm more alpha than beta. I always got A's for languages & C's (or even less) for anything beta-like. at stuff I actually had to study for I did the absolute worst, but let's ignore that. fact is, I found beta to be much more of a challenge & not only that, somehow I'd gotten into my head I wanted to study medicine. so I didn't really have a choice. medicine it was, with every doomed course that came with it; chemistry, physics (well, not a whole lot), biology, mathematics, etc etc etc.

ever since I'm studying way more in the beta-direction, I haven't updated my alpha-side. meaning I can't speak French, German, etc, for shite anymore. all of alpha, that is slightly updated, is (medical) English (& chit-chat English, thanks to this bbs) & (medical) Latin. yay? seeing I was never good at beta, I kind of feel rather dumb these days, since now it feels like I'm not good at anything anymore, except my own rather strong feeling for justice & creativity.

Dush's arguments were extremely HOMOSEXUAL thank you very much. if he says the words "philosophy" & "politics" one more time, I'm going to have to come over & push the dictionary through his eyeballs into his skull. jaysus.

memento
10-21-2005, 06:26 AM
Further, a person's intelligence is not culmulative.

I disagree. One can learn new analytical skills in furtherance of their studies, life and hobbies. This enables the stock of intelligence to increase because it permits them to analyse information. Analysis of information and communication skills (written, verbal) is the human version of the binary machine - input, process, output. So you need these basic skills.

JoY
10-21-2005, 06:27 AM
you disagree with that? so you'd say someone can be just a little bit pregnant, or kind of impotent? that's about just as irrational.

Sin Studly
10-21-2005, 06:28 AM
Hahaha, you spellchecked that didn't you?

memento
10-21-2005, 06:35 AM
you disagree with that? so you'd say someone can be just a little bit pregnant, or kind of impotent? that's about just as irrational.

culmulative=cumulative right? Like you can't get more intelligent as time passes. Which is what I'm disagreeing with.

memento
10-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Hahaha, you spellchecked that didn't you?

*spellchequed.

JoY
10-21-2005, 06:47 AM
culmulative=cumulative right? Like you can't get more intelligent as time passes. Which is what I'm disagreeing with.
you can only learn so much, if you're born with a certain quality BRAIN. doh.

you can learn, become wiser, attain more knowledge, go ahead correct me, but you can't get more intelligent. like you can't cure someone with a missing chromosome.

dexterisMYman
10-21-2005, 06:48 AM
I say JoY .

HornyPope
10-21-2005, 06:51 AM
I disagree. One can learn new analytical skills in furtherance of their studies, life and hobbies. This enables the stock of intelligence to increase because it permits them to analyse information. Analysis of information and communication skills (written, verbal) is the human version of the binary machine - input, process, output. So you need these basic skills.

A human cannot be upgraded like a computer (our brain capacity may grow, but its a genetics process that takes generations). Your input can be enriched only to a certain point, beyond which you make a full turn and merely enhance what you already know.

To use your analogy, a binary machine equipped with 2mb video card with no 3d software rendering cannot output applications beyond what it's capable. All you can do try and do is alter the code again and again to speed the process the application but your physical output cannot change. My knowledge of computer architecture is rather modest so I might not be best poised to draw into lenghty discussions over this analogy, however.

JoY
10-21-2005, 06:51 AM
dexterisMYman;
*scratches head*

thank you. =)

JoY
10-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Vlad, dude.. what are you trying to prove? using your most fancy language & your three syllable-words... I managed to explain the same thing with one single sentence.

dexterisMYman
10-21-2005, 06:56 AM
dexterisMYman;
*scratches head*

thank you. =)
you have taught me some very valuable information.

HornyPope
10-21-2005, 07:01 AM

Oh, you can become more intelligent all right, and your intelligence will showcase in many forms (speech, understanding of things, rapidity of brain process), but whatever new material you learn often contradicts your knowledge of old becase ultimately when you make a decision, you reject other alternatives. The decision can be based on thousands and millions of factors, but only a certain number of relevant ones will play in the final decision.

If for example you always took a 5km road to school, and now you find a shorter road, you will reject the older road in favour of the new one. The result? The old road becomes irrelevant and obsolete.

HornyPope
10-21-2005, 07:04 AM
Vlad, dude.. what are you trying to prove? using your most fancy language & your three syllable-words... I managed to explain the same thing with one single sentence.

That's because we're making a different point. I disagree with yours for the record. Like you can't shape around a persons' brain, obviously, but you can make one more intelligent. TTIG covered it rather well:

"You may not be able to change the maximum amount of intelligence you can have(so not how that sentece should look). But you can change how intelligent you are. If I sat around watching television for three years, and a clone of me spent hours daily learning new and challenging things, you'd find the clone more intelligent."

JoY
10-21-2005, 07:10 AM
You may not be able to change the maximum amount of intelligence you can have(so not how that sentece should look). But you can change how intelligent you are. If I sat around watching television for three years, and a clone of me spent hours daily learning new and challenging things, you'd find the clone more intelligent. I forget the name of the diagram that shows what is hypothesized to be the brain's memory system functioning. With electrical impulses and what look like nerve endings that grow like muscles, each connecting to areas of your memory. As you use more of a particular knowledge, that area grows more and more(literally gaining incredibly small amounts of mass in your brain). The larger it becomes, the more your brain sends electrical impulses to and from that area. You think quicker and more aptly. Likewise, less frequently used areas shrivel and die. How organized and how quickly your brain manages all this is genetic. How much you put into it is not. Or atleast, that's what they taught me. It's still very early for me.
you people use the word "intelligence" like "strong" & "weak". you can train your brain, yes yes yes. so you can become smarter. there's a reason the word "smarter" exists, & the word "intelligenter" doesn't. (I know this argument is a house of cards, but I really don't care) one can be more intelligent than someone else, but simply dumber, because he never fucking uses his/her head.

but the story about the nerve-ends is true, I think. I haven't studied the brain in detail yet. what defenitely is true, is that you develop more cell-organelles (in particular mitochondria for energy) in cells that are more active. *shrugs* I feel like the word "intelligence" is often used inappropriately like so many words.

HornyPope
10-21-2005, 07:42 AM
Yeah, i've seen first-hand how people with rich potential couldn't ammount to much because they haven't done anything to enrich their intelligence. Those are not to be confused however with the people who enriched their intelligence via non-orthodox forms.

memento
10-21-2005, 07:52 AM
you can only learn so much, if you're born with a certain quality BRAIN. doh.

you can learn, become wiser, attain more knowledge, go ahead correct me, but you can't get more intelligent. like you can't cure someone with a missing chromosome.

Your definition is purely genetic. IMO no one reaches their genetic potential anyway so the abilty to get new techniques into your brain counts to the intelligence.

Otherwise the definition is too restrictive and is merely relegated to something like 'height'. Also doesn't your brain start to loose cells post 18 that it doesn't rebuild? I was reading a study a while back too that creatine of all things improves memory. 2 different things yes (memory/intelligence), but perhaps chemicals can have an effect. I was also reading an article on performance enhancing mental drugs and the possibilty for doping tests in future exams.

I dunno in the end perhaps the best way to define intelligence is use a % of the population. And the most restricted talent is maths/science.

HornyPope
10-21-2005, 07:53 AM
I should reiterate further that by base I imply the general making of a human--the way he acts, the way he thinks, the way he understands, the way he talks etc... All of this has a general pattern. I.E.- A pacifist, as a rule, will not go on a killing spree; a hard-line neo-conservative will not approve of a public health care system; an atheist will not pray to God. You get the point.

This has more to do with just intelligence, but the decisions you make and the stances you take are in direct correlation to the values and beleifs you uphold and affirm, which in turn are based on your experience and knowledge. The latter (both knowledge and experience) can, and likely will, improve, but to alter your beliefs and values you will first have to reject or modify old ones, which in turn will affect your decision making. It's obviously more complicated than that because you've to take into account your emotions, psychological disorders and other significant factors that can make you act one way or another, but as a rule, we think (consequantly : act) the way we do based on a foundation we posess.

Maybe cumulative isn't the best word, but all i'm trying to say is while you're gaining knowledge every minute, and you are exposed to different perspectives and new ways to grasp the situation, only so many of those will you adopt.

I hope it makes any sense.

HornyPope
10-21-2005, 07:55 AM
creatine of all things improves memory

Memory at expense of verility? Ah, decisions, decisions.

memento
10-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Pffft I've got mine frozen.

JoY
10-21-2005, 09:13 AM
So we're agreeing then, that a person can only have a maximum X amount of intelligence, and that amount is determined genetically. What we're arguing over then, is if somebody becomes smarter, have they become more intelligent. Essentially, we're arguing over definitions here. How intelligent a person is has to do with their capabilities for mental acuteness. What we percieve as an intelligent person is someone who shows above average mental acuteness. I think somebody with a 'conditioned' mind will show that ability better. I believe high intelligence has to be genetically gifted to the person, AND they have to achieve it. I don't consider a wasted mind with great capabilities intelligent. A person could be extremely athletically gifted, but decide not to train they're body in any form, and become fat and out of shape. They may have higher potential than the next guy, but potential alone doesn't make them athletic.
but they have the genetic potential to be athletic. ;p
like my friend is extremely bendy, BUT she never uses that ability, so she pretty much isn't bendy at all. but in her nature.. she's bendy. she also is rather athletic. put her on a pair of skis, even though she's never skied before, & she skis away with them. I know this, because I've put her on a pair of skis, when she'd never skied before. but after that.. she never skied again. so she isn't very good at skiing, due to the fact she never practiced, BUT she is athletic.

seriously, I look at everything in a very genetic way. blame my studies, blame whatever, to me intelligence has to do with the braincapacity you're born with, like you just explained. overal we all agree. it's just a language-thing & the use of it. everyone has intelligence & if you're smart, you use all you have. or at least a good chunk of it.

Dush, 30, I think. after 30 basically total degeneration of your body starts. if you manage to damage nerves during your life, there's little to no chance the damage will ever fully be undone. nerve-tissue is the slowest growing tissue a human body has. & please, tuck your science up your butthole.

I agree with Vlad. people come across experiences, knowledge, facts, beliefs, morals, values & pretty much billions of choices in life, that don't have much to do with any of these things. it depends on your intelligence, the root & basis of all possible wisdom you can possibly posess & which is birthgiven, how much you pick up of all of these things during life. if you wisen up & learn from your experiences, wrong & right decisions, etc.. you get my point. especially since Vlad has basically already made it. =)