PDA

View Full Version : How did u know about The Offspring?

Anarhy
10-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Well, i listen the offspring since 2000. And first album that i listened was Americana. My friend has given it to me. :)

What is your story? :)

Evka.pl
10-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Well, i listen the offspring since 2000. And first album that i listened was Americana. My friend has given it to me. :)

that's weird but i don't remember....it just happened. i bought americana, then 'discovered' their older stuff and i here i am now:)

belen1979
10-10-2005, 09:35 AM
i saw self steem video on tv and i couldn't stop listening to the offspring since then.
i was 13, my parents didn't like that boys shouting and with that braids and that videos... and i had to be for two weeks not eating at school 'till i got enough money to buy the TAPE!!! (most of us didn't know cds at that time)

oh, i like the offspring since 1994, lol

Evka.pl
10-10-2005, 09:39 AM
i saw self steem video on tv and i couldn't stop listening to the offspring since then.
i was 13, my parents didn't like that boys shouting and with that braids and that videos... and i had to be for two weeks not eating at school 'till i got enough money to buy the TAPE!!! (most of us didn't know cds at that time)

oh, i like the offspring since 1994, lol

oh how i miss buying tapes...wait..no i'm NOT.

belen1979
10-10-2005, 09:44 AM
heheheh. i have the box, but i lost the tape... it would be great to have it... but not listening to it, hehehehe.
*thanking the one who discovered that thing called cd!!!*

uvutuy
10-10-2005, 09:45 AM
i was watching kerrang one day, u no wi the whole week end of a band music thing, so i was watching it and offspring was on and i got into it and that was wat 'appened

rinx
10-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Well.. I heard the Pretty Fly from the radio when it came out, and then I saw O.P. @ the year 2000 and liked it and then this summer i just started to listen for the Americana album I bought -98 and bought almost all the others and now it's my fav band! (be4 that it was slipknot.. huge change lol) :D

darko
10-10-2005, 10:16 AM
the radio.....atlantic 252....

Rufus
10-10-2005, 10:18 AM
I was on a school trip and the other people in my room kept playing Splinters and I liked it so I went and bought the cd then i decided to try listing to their older music so I went and bought Smash and Ignition and they were even better and now they are my favourie band

platinumpt
10-10-2005, 10:21 AM
My story is very uninteresting. I was just listening to the radio, when Self Esteem came by. It was a catchy song, so it remained "playing" on my mind. The only funny thing about it is that, the 1st time I heard the song, I thought it was Nirvana. Kurt Cobain was still alive at that time, ya know.

belen1979
10-10-2005, 10:45 AM
My story is very uninteresting. I was just listening to the radio, when Self Esteem came by. It was a catchy song, so it remained "playing" on my mind. The only funny thing about it is that, the 1st time I heard the song, I thought it was Nirvana. Kurt Cobain was still alive at that time, ya know.

hey!!! there're some songs in which dexter's voice looks similar to kurt's voice, don't you think? i can't remember by now what that songs are, but it's not only in one...

Evka.pl
10-10-2005, 10:47 AM
hey!!! there're some songs in which dexter's voice looks similar to kurt's voice, don't you think? i can't remember by now what that songs are, but it's not only in one...

4 instance in 'amazed'

agreth
10-10-2005, 10:55 AM
heard americana playing at a friends house in '99. I bought that album. I didn't really like it at first. The only song I really liked was the kids aren't alright. For some reason or another I bought conspiracy of one when it came out as well. Again, I didn't give it much listen. I quite liked the song one fine day.

The time I really got back into the offspring was when I was at my french friend's house and he played the want you bad video. I love that video and I love that song. We also watched the dvds of americana and huck it. I went back and listened to americana and conspiracy of one, and eventually bought splinter.

Hypodermic_89
10-10-2005, 11:12 AM
my story could be a little interesting:

My cousin was moving in with her boyfriend and they both had Smash. They figured that they don't need two Smash cds in their new home so my cousin asked me if I like The Offspring. I said sure, although I had never heard of them, but I thought the cd looked cool so I couldn't turn it down! :D that simple little lie changed my life totally! I was lucky that we were visiting my cousin just at that time :) And just a couple of weeks ago I met with my cousin and I told her that I have all the albums now etc.. She was pretty stunned :)

Dirty Bertie
10-10-2005, 12:23 PM
I had a party round my house a few years ago. The next day, I went to put a CD on and found the Americana CD in there. It wasn't mine and I had no clue who'd left it or who the Offspring even were..

Played it a few times and the rest is history. Strange thing is that no one ever asked me for that CD back.

I still reckon that Noodles must have slipped in and left it for me ;)

platinumpt
10-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I guess you're right!! Es cierto :D But the source of my confusion was the music style itself... I think they played similar styles back in 1994... and I knew very little about rock or punk at that time, which explains my confusion.

I think Dexter's voice in Amazed resembles a bit to Kurt Cobain, indeed :)

offspring fan
10-10-2005, 12:54 PM
i got ixnay from a friend for my 9 birhtday.
loved them then and i still do and will always do :D

Funky Donkey
10-10-2005, 02:02 PM
my brother always had music going in his room I remember hearing Staring aat the Sun and The Kids Aren't Alrigt all the time about 4 years ago.

beautifulnightmare
10-10-2005, 03:15 PM

i used to listen to the radio all the time and the offspring were on alot..i was like 8 or 9

offspring_freak_3
10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
back in 98 my friend had the americana album, he keeps listening to it every day so i listened to pretty fly and the kids aren't alright and i started to like the offspring :D

chicagoboy91
10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
well i was in the backseat of my car and my bro was headbangin to Gotta Get Away in the front seat but i was only 6 at the time so i didn't think much of it then 4 years later i hear kids aren't alright on the radio i go crazy and realize ive been hearin all of their songs all along but just didnt know it was THE OFFSPRING.

noodlesfan
10-10-2005, 04:04 PM
when i was 4, i heard come out and play on the radio, i got smash for my birthday, and ever since then, ive been "collecting" them. After i got americana, i discovered their self titled cd and ignition.

bd007h
10-10-2005, 05:00 PM
I was introduced to them in 1994 when my sister got Smash on cassete. I didn't become a huge fan until 1999 though.

peko
10-10-2005, 05:05 PM
My older brother got me into them because he would listen to Self Esteem a lot, and got me sucked in.

Gayman
10-11-2005, 02:51 PM
My story is that I burned CO1 from my cousine and then bought Americana and the Ixnay and CO1 and when Splinter came out it was it's turn...I really loved CO1....emediately came a fan in the year 2000.

iplayguitar182
11-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I liked them when Americana came out, then for a long time I stopped listening to music because my mom wouldn't let me buy Eminem, Blink or the offspring. The I moved and hung around the punkers and some kid played some offspring and I liked it so I listened to it with him alot. Then I moved again and I went to a CD store to buy splinter, saw smash and was like why not I got the money and it was worth it. My parents like them so that also helped.

Aimeht
11-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I saw the Pretty Fly video on tv, bought all the albums and became obsessed.
The end.

Ninty Man
11-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Well, i liked them some time ago, but with Greatest Hits, i confirmed that Im a fan, so im collecting their cd :D

icklebabygremlin
11-10-2005, 09:59 AM
:D
oh how i miss buying tapes...wait..no i'm NOT.
i have smash on tape its well old school

bhg_rulz2
11-10-2005, 11:34 AM
back in 1994 when i was 7 years old, my brother listened to them a lot, i liked the songs, but never knew who were they, then, in 199 i watch the kids arent alright video, and like it a lot, not a huge fan yet haha, and then, in 2003, a friend of mine kept playing the kids arent alright and self esteem, and here i am =)

noodle654
11-10-2005, 12:47 PM
I have known them since age 8. I heard All I Want and I LOVED THEM. I then bought all of there old stuff, and loved them. So yeah just listening to the radio.

.:SMASH:.
11-10-2005, 01:18 PM
my cousins adored their music, and were playing it whenever i came over (i was about 7) and i got addicted to it. so ive been addicted to the offspring for half my life. how do they manage to make a perfect album every time???

Mentally_Challenged
11-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Tel-e-vis-ion.

irishpunkrockgirl
11-10-2005, 03:39 PM
i stole americana off my auntie

fuckB Ratty
11-10-2005, 03:49 PM
i listen to a song and because a fan.

and to irishpunkrockgirl: your avater rocks my socks

dain84
11-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Smash was released a week after Kurt died.

dain84
11-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Either my dad bought me a copy of Americana or I heard them on Crazy Taxi in the arcade.
I remember playing that game for the first time, hearing "YA YA YA YA YA!" from All I Want.

Ixnay Splin
04-10-2006, 03:49 AM
I first heard of them when i heard Pretty Fly on TV. I borrowed the album (Americana) my step-dad had bought (I later found out when I bought Smash that he used to have that, closer to the time when it came out :p ). At that time I only recently had started listening to good music, thanks to my step-brother, but didn't really think for myself. I liked Americana but didn't buy any of their other stuff as most of the CD's i got were copies and i didn't have any money to buy CD's at the tender age of 6/7 :) .

When Conspiracy of One came out i wanted to download it (at the time we had napster, I think) though, at the time I was too young to be trusted on the PC, and Co1 blew over (still not really into music).

I heard Hit That, the only single off of Splinter I've seen in the U.K. which I was slightly disappointed with (sounded too techno/pop with the effects used in it) and still didn't think much of The Offspring (or at least, pursuing into them, yet)

I met friends who had also listened to Americana and thought it was great, also (I've always loved this album), when Can't Repeat came out. I had nothing to do and thought, "Why not download the greatest hits? See if I really like The Offspring" I was 13 by now and allowed to do such things on the computer and fell in love with The Offspring. I then bought Smash, downloaded all of their albums, except Americana and Splinter (which I borrowed from a friend), bought Inay On The Hombre the day after i'd downloaded it and that's about it!!!

I was given The greatest hits for valentines day (The only good thing that came out of the relationship, though I can't find greatest hits at the moment :confused: ) and am still yet to purchase, The Offspring, Ignition, Co1 and Splinter, but I'll get there soon!!!

Amazed
04-10-2006, 10:42 AM
My sister downloaded some songs by them (it was Genocide, Staring at the sun, Self Esteem, So alone, Hit that and Why don't you get a job) and I really liked them. Back then I listened to everything that she liked. This was in the summer and when we went to Cyprus on vacation I burned a cd with these songs and a few other songs by another band that I liked at the time, and brought it on our vacation. When we got home again I started downloading more songs by The Offspring and I've been hooked ever since. My sister didn't like the songs that I downloaded and she got tired of the ones she did like because I listened to them 24/7, so now she hates The Offspring. She says that all their songs sound the same and that Dexter is a shitty singer. :mad:

Mr. Noodles
04-10-2006, 10:50 AM
well I grew up listening to the Offspring ever since the age of 2 or 3.
I didn't know that the music I grew up listening to was the Offspring until 2000 or 2001. I also grew up listening to Nirvana and starting listening to them after discovering them in a similar way.

Mr. Noodles
04-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Smash was released a week after Kurt died.
Thanks for pointing that out. That's exactly what I was gonna say.

Bloodstains
04-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Through my brother, when I was about six. I'd listen to his music all the time, and he got really into The Offspring right around when Americana came out, thus that's what I was listening to most of the time.

minority
04-11-2006, 09:06 AM
First I heard Hit that or Pretty fly and I think that they were okay. But in last summer I saw them on TV, they were coming to Finland. I heard their other songs and then I tought that they were GREAT. And then I find Greatest Hits. Then I bought Ixnay, and now I have all the albums. :)

Camilamazed
04-11-2006, 09:36 AM
God Bless the old radios (When they used to play nice stuff).

Danman22
04-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I had heard the offpring's music when i was younger but never new their band name till last year (2005) when i was downloading DBZ episodes and found this music video for a song called thekids aren't alright. then i downloaded some of their other songs which led me to buying their greatest hits cd. I know it sounds like a dumb story but thats how it happened.

Gayman
04-12-2006, 07:43 AM
I got hooked on Offspring after seeing "Want You Bad" and "Original Prankster". Saw the Americana videos too and liked them too but it just didn't hit me just then. So after "Want You Bad" and "Original Prankster" I burned Conspiracy Of One from my cousin and then bought Americana an Conspiracy of one.

So for me it was the videos that got me hooked.

gijserman
04-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right!! Es cierto :D But the source of my confusion was the music style itself... I think they played similar styles back in 1994... and I knew very little about rock or punk at that time, which explains my confusion.

I think Dexter's voice in Amazed resembles a bit to Kurt Cobain, indeed :)

If you listen to Nivana's 'Territorial Pissings' the first couple of sentences sound exactly like Dexter's voice

ignition991
04-12-2006, 04:03 PM
If you listen to Nivana's 'Territorial Pissings' the first couple of sentences sound exactly like Dexter's voice

damn i thought i was the only one who noticed.

DeAtHsTaR
04-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Actually, he died a couple months beofre Smash came out I think.

DeAtHsTaR
04-12-2006, 04:47 PM
My dad borrowed Americana from my uncle and I heard it playing in the car.

My uncle never saw it again.

I think it was 1999...

offspringdude17
04-13-2006, 01:06 AM
well i heard them on the radio when they played pretty fly.

coke_a_holic
04-13-2006, 01:18 AM
It might be because they're one of the most popular bands around and there isn't a person with a quarter of a brain that hasn't at least heard of them. Maybe.

DexterWannabe
04-13-2006, 12:32 PM

ever heard about the thing called MTV?

DICKON
04-13-2006, 12:56 PM

I think it has an uncanny resembleance to Lithium. I prefer SE though!

igniton/pyro
04-13-2006, 02:12 PM
i heard that thay sounded like green day by a friend so i went to i cd shop and lisened to americana. and i loved it.

DexterWannabe
04-13-2006, 04:38 PM
i heard that thay sounded like green day by a friend so i went to i cd shop and lisened to americana. and i loved it.
do u like green day? if so, u are not a real offspring-fan, i hope the green day just was a phase in your life, and that is it over now, otherwise, go to the window and jump :D

Hux
04-13-2006, 05:57 PM
They don't really sound similar, and The Offspring sounds a shitload better.

II NOODLES II
04-13-2006, 07:14 PM
They don't really sound similar, and The Offspring sounds a shitload better.

True. Offspring sounds waaay better.