PDA

View Full Version : Dan Brown Books

the_offsprings_monkey
10-10-2005, 03:27 PM
What is the best Dan Brown book you have read, mine is Angels and demons.

agreth
10-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I've read angels and demons and the da vinci code. angels and demons is the better book by far. very enjoyable.

wheelchairman
10-10-2005, 04:50 PM
It's some good fiction.

T-6005
10-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Indeed. I've read all four of those, and I have to say, Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons were the only mildly interesting ones. The other two were horrible books. And unfortunately, aside from the interesting things Dan Brown brings up, he's just not a very good writer. At all.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Why isn't there an option for "They all fucking suck"?

Paint_It_Black
10-10-2005, 11:40 PM
And unfortunately, aside from the interesting things Dan Brown brings up, he's just not a very good writer. At all.

Well said. I read about half of Angels and Demons one time while waiting for a friend. He kept telling me how great it was so I thought I'd have a look. I felt he could probably come up with some good movies, if he had help with the dialogue. But he's not a good novelist. Kinda reminded me of Michael Crichton without the talent.

I'm reading Mystic River right now because it was the only thing lying around at work. That, so far, is an example of good writing.

T-6005
10-11-2005, 01:42 AM
Well said. I read about half of Angels and Demons one time while waiting for a friend. He kept telling me how great it was so I thought I'd have a look. I felt he could probably come up with some good movies, if he had help with the dialogue. But he's not a good novelist. Kinda reminded me of Michael Crichton without the talent.

I'm reading Mystic River right now because it was the only thing lying around at work. That, so far, is an example of good writing.

Not a fan of Michael Crighton. Not a good plot writer. The only real hardcore fiction writer I can stand is a complete fantasy writer - Robert Jordan. I have a massive soft spot for his Wheel Of Time series.

And has anyone read Kiss Me, Judas? Not sure who it's by, but the way that book is written completely made me rethink the way stories should be told.

EDIT - Ok, I can so stand other fiction writers. But whatever.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-11-2005, 01:50 AM

Lehane is great at coming up with really obscure modern references to use in very long analogies. This much is entertaining; there was one quote about how someone felt like they were in a Springsteen song that had me roflzing all over the place. But I'd still say his talent as a writer is pretty limited. He gives away too much about his characters. He'll just say, outright, what they're thinking, instead of showing it and leaving it for you to figure it out. That's one reason why Mystic River was one case where I thought the plot worked much better as a movie.

kami_mathieu
10-11-2005, 02:00 AM
have read all of them, the first one youl read is probably cool, but they are all the same.

Paint_It_Black
10-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Lehane is great at coming up with really obscure modern references to use in very long analogies. This much is entertaining; there was one quote about how someone felt like they were in a Springsteen song that had me roflzing all over the place.

Yeah, I liked that too. I am generally just finding his style quite refreshing right now, since I haven't read anything other than Robert Jordan in many months. I like the way he tells you what the character thinks, meandering through the thoughts of these very real feeling characters. Well, with Jimmy anyway. I'm very much enjoying this character so far. I have to say I didn't particularly enjoy the movie, for a story like this I need the strong character development than can usually only be achieved in writing. I'll be watching it again once I finish the book though I'm sure, and probably enjoy it a lot more unless they made a lot of frivolous changes from the book.

T-6005, I like Crichton's work quite a lot because he has a knack of making a character feel well developed while actually being barely developed at all, his concepts always feel fresh and interesting, and there's a fast pace and sense of excitement to most of his books. I'll concede your point about his ability with plot, well kinda. It rarely gets particularly surprising, but still he poses so many questions that I have to keep turning the pages to find the answers. I usually finish a Crichton book in a couple of days. It's just an overall fun read, and leaves me thinking about a lot of things, much like Dan Brown does for others.

I just finished book 10 of The Wheel of Time. It would be quite redundant to say I like it, or I wouldn't have just read ten books of it. The sheer scale of it is very appealing. I'm really just killing time with it until George R R Martin's new installment in the Song of Ice and Fire series is out. I'd have to say he's the best writer of fiction I've found, outstanding in every aspect of the craft.

Yatesy
10-11-2005, 04:06 AM
Angels & Demons is the best. They're all good books and all, but the storyline's are very clichéd and follow the same pattern and Dan brown, although he akes and interesting story, he's a crap writer.

Not Ozymandias
10-12-2005, 07:20 AM
I refuse to read anything that's sold at supermarkets.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-12-2005, 07:27 AM
I refuse to read anything that's sold at supermarkets.
I got mine in waterstones, idk about supermarkets.

Not Ozymandias
10-12-2005, 07:39 AM
This message is hidden because the_offsprings_monkey is on your ignore list.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Please go die

SkyRocker
10-12-2005, 07:47 AM
I plan to read "Da Vinci Code", i was waiting for friend reviews and they seemed to be impressed by the fiction like it's been said before.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-12-2005, 07:50 AM
You do know you need a high IQ to read his books right?

Lupin
10-12-2005, 07:53 AM
I'v just finished the DaVinci code, and while its not the worst book i'v ever read the ending (the last 10 pages) was crap. There where bits in the middle that i started to get bored as well. Although i think they way he has mashed together bits of fiction with dribs-N-drabs of religious truth where quiet good.
Im half way through Angels n Demons and its Ok sofar.
________
Honda b engine specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine)

Paint_It_Black
10-12-2005, 05:24 PM
You do know you need a high IQ to read his books right?

You have to be joking. It's an incredibly easy read.

T-6005
10-12-2005, 05:34 PM

Absolutely correct.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-12-2005, 05:35 PM
I've been told to read them so many times, but.. I just don't want to. I can't get up the inspiration to read them, and I know if I can't even do that, I'll NEVER finish them.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Yes thats for people like us, Im talking about people like high school drop outs, can you see eminem reading angels and demons?

T-6005
10-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Well, I didn't think the Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons were CRAP, they were just... not great. Readable.

T-6005
10-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Yes thats for people like us, Im talking about people like high school drop outs, can you see eminem reading angels and demons?

In a word? Yes.

"People like us?" God help me from being as stupid as you are.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Hey just because I write a bit stupid on a forum it don't mean I am stupid in the real world, comprahend in your thick head for a moment.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey just because I write a bit stupid on a forum it don't mean I am stupid in the real world, comprahend in your thick head for a moment.

You do not have to be intelligent to read. Anyone can increase their vocabulary and read more from the ground up if they so wish.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-12-2005, 05:50 PM
And by the way, Eminem writes rap. Most people don't comprehend how hard rap is to write. I think he's pretty goddamned intelligent, myself.

Mota Boy
10-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I borrowed "The DaVinci Code" from a friend a couple summers ago to see what all the fuss was about and really didn't enjoy it. I thought the writing was decent enough for a thriller, but the "puzzles" were unimpressive and the surprise ending undermined the rest of the book.

It's a fascinating plot device, but the execution was wholly forgettable. If anyone lists one of Dan Brown's books as a favorite, it's a good sign that they're boring and/or stupid.

Paint_It_Black
10-12-2005, 11:28 PM
You do not have to be intelligent to read. Anyone can increase their vocabulary and read more from the ground up if they so wish.

Well said.

And by the way, Eminem writes rap. Most people don't comprehend how hard rap is to write. I think he's pretty goddamned intelligent, myself.

Well said again. I was going to make both those points exactly.

If anyone lists one of Dan Brown's books as a favorite, it's a good sign that they're boring and/or stupid.

Well, to be fair it could just mean they don't read much. But not reading much is often a fair indicator of stupidity. I'm not saying that you have to be intelligent to read, but rather that reading tends to increase intelligence.

Mota Boy
10-13-2005, 01:05 AM
Well, to be fair it could just mean they don't read much. But not reading much is often a fair indicator of stupidity.
So they haven't read much outside of high school (remember, I'm still at an age where all my peers clearly recall books they were forced to read in high school) and a select few top bestsellers and they still choose the DaVinci code. If they're not stupid, they're boring (people that choose to read Dan Brown over all the other books out there... boooring).

Mentally_Challenged
10-13-2005, 01:07 AM
I haven't finished reading Angels & Demons yet, but I seems pretty good. I still prefer the Da Vinci code though.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-13-2005, 02:23 AM
I like the detail in his books.

T-6005
10-13-2005, 02:36 AM
....what detail?

the_offsprings_monkey
10-13-2005, 02:50 AM
The way he describes the stuff in detail, like I learned more about dark matter from angels and demons then I did in a physics lesson.

T-6005
10-13-2005, 02:52 AM
....Yes, and I learned a lot about how to cast a lightning spell from that fantasy book I read a few weeks ago. I feel closer every day to successfully doing it. Thank god everything in fiction novels is true and reliable!

the_offsprings_monkey
10-13-2005, 02:53 AM
....Yes, and I learned a lot about how to cast a lightning spell from that fantasy book I read a few weeks ago. I feel closer every day to successfully doing it. Thank god everything in fiction novels is true and reliable!
LoL, yea but what he said about dark matter in angels and demons is 100% right.

T-6005
10-13-2005, 02:56 AM
LoL, yea but what he said about dark matter in angels and demons is 100% right.

Where did you get that confirmed? In your physics class?

the_offsprings_monkey
10-13-2005, 03:03 AM
Yes, by my teacher.

T-6005
10-13-2005, 03:04 AM
I learned more about dark matter from angels and demons then I did in a physics lesson.

In that case, you just didn't listen enough. Moron.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-13-2005, 03:05 AM
Well I was always busy with my english and maths to worry about scince.

T-6005
10-13-2005, 03:05 AM
You'd think you could show the english, at least.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-13-2005, 03:06 AM
In that case, you just didn't listen enough. Moron.
And I said lesson...LESSON