PDA

View Full Version : I fucked up again.

0r4ng3
10-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Actually, my iPod fucked up again. I got the sad faced iPod picture whenever I turn it on. I looked on the website on how to fix it, and I even did fix it a couple of times. Now, however, it won't fix. The problem is, I don't know what I did the first two times. I tried to restore it, but my computer doesn't even recognize it anymore. What should I do?

A better question is: Without any warranty, how much will it cost to send it in for repair?

0r4ng3
10-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah, well I had bad experiences with other mp3 players. Before an iPod, I had an mp3 player that only held about 36 songs. Then, it stopped working. It only worked when I deleted all the songs off of it. In other words: If it had songs on it, it wouldn't play. After that, I bought an iPod.

Rancid_Guyxxx
10-10-2005, 06:35 PM
This is why I bought cheaper, smaller mp3 players.
Exactly. It also kind of sucks having to charge the Ipod so thats why I like my mp3 player, where it just takes one AAA battery. Lasts me about a week at school.

Endymion
10-10-2005, 06:45 PM
so the firmware reflash doesn't work? did you have it set in disk mode? if so, try to use windows or whatever to reformate the drive and then see if the firmware updater will work.

0r4ng3
10-10-2005, 07:42 PM
What's firmware? Yes, it's in disk mode. How do I reformat it?

Linda
10-10-2005, 08:10 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983

Restore to factory settings.

0r4ng3
10-10-2005, 08:13 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983

Restore to factory settings.
Trust me, I've navigated every support page on that site at least five times. The problem is that my computer doesn't recognize my iPod, therefore I can't restore.

Linda
10-10-2005, 08:15 PM
You'll probably have to take it to the iPod store to be fixed then.

0r4ng3
10-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Which brings me to my other question: How much will that cost? I never got the warranty.

Linda
10-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Dunno, you should call them, tell them the problem, and ask them how much it would cost to repair it. I doubt it will be cheap tho.

Endymion
10-11-2005, 12:33 AM
i had a somewhat similar problem... so plugging it in doesn't make it show up in the my computer foldler? try a different usb/firewire port. i had problems with my usb controlers on my mobo, ended up buying a four port pci card and it works beautifully.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Actually, my iPod fucked up again. I got the sad faced iPod picture whenever I turn it on. I looked on the website on how to fix it, and I even did fix it a couple of times. Now, however, it won't fix. The problem is, I don't know what I did the first two times. I tried to restore it, but my computer doesn't even recognize it anymore. What should I do?

A better question is: Without any warranty, how much will it cost to send it in for repair?
Here is how you fix an iPOD is not to get one, they are stupid and a waste of money. for the same price you can get an mp3 player with better battery life and the same amount of Gb.

kami_mathieu
10-11-2005, 02:31 AM
maybe remove all songs, then restore?

Rag Doll
10-11-2005, 05:43 AM
i had a somewhat similar problem... so plugging it in doesn't make it show up in the my computer foldler? try a different usb/firewire port. i had problems with my usb controlers on my mobo, ended up buying a four port pci card and it works beautifully.

i had that problem as well. sometimes it'll take like 15-20 minutes to show up. it doesn't matter what port i use....and i refuse to buy something to make it quicker. =\

0r4ng3
10-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks Endy, I'll try that.

From now on, no one else give me any shit about how iPods suck and other mp3 players are "teh rockzorz!". Please, just stop. That's not my problem here.

Edit: It didn't work. I think I'll just mail it in for repairs.

Deathshrimp316
10-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Okaaaaaaay....

My mp3 player rocks, its a Creative Zen Micro. 5GB of space, smaller than an iPod mini, awesome sound quality and hours and hours and hours of battery life.

Back to the iPod problem - I have no idea what you should do. Should my Zen Micro ever fuck up I can just put it into recovery mode and either reformat the player or just restore the original firmware. I can also use that menu to defrag the players hard drive. Isn't it awesome?

Mentally_Challenged
10-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Just phone up about the iPod/mail it, but like someone else said, I doubt it will be cheap.

Oh and about the Zen: I have one and it has a shitty battery life. I'm on my second one as well (that is, the whole player and not just the battery), as the first one fucked up so much. It didn't even turn off when I took the battery out. =|

but other than that, it's great.