PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring thread

XYlophonetreeZ
10-11-2005, 02:59 AM
Mods, don't move this. I just want this to be a thread about what the people who frequent General Chat, particularly those of us that have been here a long time, think of the band that started us all posting here in the first place.

Remember when you were all n00bz? What was that like? Were you a good n00b or a bad n00b? (this should probably be read "a bad n00b or a worse n00b"). Were you Offspring-obsessed? Did your username have "Offspring," "Dexter," or "Noodles" in it? How old were you? When did you start to grow out of your Offspring-n00bness? Still haven't?

How 'bout now? Still have a soft spot for them at all? Still listen to them occasionally? Have any favorite songs that you haven't yet lost your liking for? Did they shape your life or musical tastes in any major way? What would you do if you saw Dexter Holland at Starbucks?

As for me, I started out as Nasty Little Man, widely known as the n00b who started the gay Offspring survivor threads on the old boards. Needless to say, I was a pretty big fan and a pretty bad n00b. I think I was 14 when I did that shit. I was most into the Offspring from around ages 12-15, and I'm now 19. I still have all their music. It's all on my iPod, and I'll still listen to a lot of their songs if they happen to come on Shuffle, but they're far from my favorite band anymore. I think Dexter's songwriting is often laughably formulaic. They did, however, hold the spot of my favorite band for longer than any band ever has. I've never been as big of an obsessive pathetic fanboy of anyone else. I guess I appreciate them for sort of helping to shape that part of my life, but I still look back with almost a sense of disdain because I was kind of a shithead back then. I still love a few of their songs, like Amazed, , Pay the Man, The Kids Aren't Alright, Crossroads, and Dirty Magic. I even enjoy Hit That quite a bit. And their cover of "Next to You." They have been the most important band in my life. It's probably about time for them to break up, because they've long since reached the point where they play for their fans, and have long since become husbands and fathers and realized there are a lot of things more important than their stupid little rock band. I just don't think they care that much anymore, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. They seem like pretty good guys all in all.

RULES FOR REPLYING TO THIS THREAD:
1.) No "fuk u teh offspring rO0ol" replies. This is in General Chat. If you want to see people kissing their asses nonstop, go to Offspring General Discussion.
2.) No "The Offspring fucking suck and so does anyone who likes them" replies. This does not make you sound superior or badass, it only makes you sound insecure.
3.) Don't respond to everything with a question mark individually. I was just brainstorming questions because it was an efficient way of writing the topic. Just respond to the gist of the topic in your own way; it'll make this thread more interesting. Be creative![/middle school teacher (who will actually take points off if you are creative (at least my bitchy teachers did that))]

Tizzalicious
10-11-2005, 05:53 AM
I like this actually.

Well, my username was PuNkJuNKeE. Which is as bad as it can get for a non-Offspring related name I suppose. And I overused smileys. I wasn't Offspring obsessed though, but I liked them. Just liked though, not more than other music I listened to. I never posted about them.

Now...I don't know, I got bored of them, my taste in music changed a lot. I wouldn't turn them off if I heard them, but I wouldn't go out and buy their records anymore. I post here because of the people.

Trippy
10-11-2005, 07:14 AM
hey hey hey, they're still my favourite band, been since smash. i used to be coolguy on the old boards. ;)

JohnnyNemesis
10-11-2005, 08:16 AM
They are still my favorite band, but I see now how they don't deserve the praise I always heaped on them. Still, I can relate to a lot of the sentiments expressed here thus far.

Tired_Of_You
10-11-2005, 10:11 AM
I was 14 when I registered here and as creative as I could be back then, the only nickname I was able to think about was my real name, valerie. I was stupid and my English was probably as bad as HeadAroundU...or maybe not that bad I hope =/ Anyway, I'm happy most of you don't remember me. I used to be obsessed with The Offspring, but not anymore. I still like them, though. I consider them to be my favorite band, but I rarely listen to them anymore. Maybe because it's been a while since they've released new songs, but I think it is more because I'm interested in different kind of music now. I know that if they return in Montreal, I'll buy a ticket.

China Boy
10-11-2005, 10:17 AM
fuk u teh offspring rO0ol

I still like The Offspring a lot, but I think that General Offspring Discussion is getting lamer and lamer. It was better when Noodles posted there. I still remember "I am gay. My wife is sitting next to me. She says "Will you get off that damn computer" She's gay too". But I never posted anything stupid like OMGZZ Dexterr iz hawwwt, rowr!, I mean they'll never be anything more than a good band for me...

Nirushika6789
10-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Noodles posted there. I still remember "I am gay. My wife is sitting next to me. She says "Will you get off that damn computer" She's gay too". But I never posted anything stupid like OMGZZ Dexterr iz hawwwt, rowr!, ...
yea it was great when he posted....maybe when the tour is over he will post more...

OMGZZ Dexterr iz hawwwt, rowr!, I mean they'll never be anything more than a good band for me...

yea more and more people keep doing this and its destroying the boards....someone just signs up and becomes a member then start making 'omfgzzzz dexta is da hawtest' threads.... and think about it...at least ever girl newbie does it espiecially ones who just love looking at the band but not listening....i have never done this though and I am a girl(and im 14)...it just shows that teens(yes my age group.) nowadays are all about appearance!
if you think dexter/noodles/greg/atom is good looking ..think it...dont make a thread about it...now its become just extra spam...its not even a discussion anymore...

Tijs
10-11-2005, 10:31 AM
The history of Tijs:
I registered in June 2001 (14 years old) if I'm not mistaking under the name 'punk_rawk_star86'. So you could say I was like the average everday n00b. Something strange though, I remembered I was registered here at some point and logged in and noticed my post account was 347 (don't ask me how I remember the exact number, I just do). No idea how I got that many posts since I forgot about the place and all.
I later changed my username to 'HardcorePunk86'.
Changed that to 'HardcorePunk' a weeks later.
And after that I went to 'Neuk'.
And later I changed to my current name; 'Tijs'.

That was all on the red&white boards.

No idea when I 'grew' out of the n00bness though, maybe I still am one. I still like the Offspring very much and try to see them as many times as possible and buy there releases and stuff. Although I have the feeling I begin to care less about them, but I don't want to :(

Did they shape your life or musical tastes in any major way? Nope, I don't think they're the main reason I like rock music, that's all thanks to my dad. I've heard stuff like Guns 'N Roses and AC/DC and old stuff like that since my birth I guess.

What would you do if you saw Dexter Holland at Starbucks?
Freak out at first, then calm down and go talk to him and ask him some questions about the band, really critizing questions probably because that's the things they never ask a band on the radio/tv.

Long story.

Mota Boy
10-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Registered in 2000 at sixteen under the name... errr... "Mota Boy". It was the first forum on which I decided to register, so a band-related name seemed apropriate. And "Mota Boy" worked, so there.

I was a pretty big fan at the time. Pretty big relative to me being "into" anything, but in terms of the board I was a pretty half-assed fan. I remember joining during the time of the great "Americana: Sellout or no?" debate, but I don't remember caring intensely about it. From the get go I was sarcastic and prone to parody (one of the few threads I remember creating from those days was one criticizing the Taco Bell chalupa for selling out, it's earlier commericals were about singing Mexican villagers, but then it moved on up to a slicker campaign and forgot its roots), but I was still new to the 'net and not as polished as the finished product that gleams before you today. Also, I was not as active on the boards as I am now.

Personally, I consider my relationship with The Offspring to be like a relationship with an ex-girlfriend. My first love of bands, the one introduced me to rock music (prior to that I really hadn't heard much of anything beyond top 40). I feel that I grew out of the relationship - I realized that I was changing but that they weren't, and I moved on. Whenever we bump into each other again it can either be nice and bring me back to the old times (sometimes Kick Him When He's Down comes on XM radio) and sometimes it's a bit awkward and helps remind me why I left in the first place (sometimes Can't Repeat comes on).

Offspring7
10-11-2005, 10:46 AM
i really just started to like them after the BMX commercials featured their song can't repeat. it made me want to hear more and then i realized they were the band that sang come out and play and self esteeem and even pretty fly. i've only been here for like a couple months and i still like them. they are my favorite band and i really like to listen to them but not to the point where i can't enjoy other bands. if they came to hershey for a concert i would go and try to get front row. i'm not really obsessive with them, i just like them a lot. i don't really feel like changing my screen name but when i first made my username i had no idea what the bbs was. it actually has significance with the "7" being my soccer jersey number and the offspring part is self explanatory. so umm...i love them now but i can't see myself loving them for the rest of my life.

0r4ng3
10-11-2005, 03:18 PM
I joined the forum in April of 2005. My name was 0r4ng3. I used to post mostly in General Offspring Discussion, under orange colored font, a Mega Man avatar, and a Bad Religion signature.

Oh, how times have changed. Wow, this post is less sarcastic than I thought it would be.

Edit: I bet you're all missing the Mega Man avatar now, aren't you?

coke_a_holic
10-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, my story's relatively similar to Jesse's. I joined in January of 2005 under the alias coke_a_holic at the age of 14. I couldn't come up with anything better, [insert insecurity about username here]. They were slowly becoming less and less loved by me as I joined, it was pretty much around there (November/December/January)that I began my branching out in music styles from pop-punk to the likes of metal, actual punk, ska, and blues. While, I had been listening to them for well over 8 years, they had been my favorite band for only a few of those. I like to think I am a good n00b, but I know when I was first starting out I didn't think about what I said. I'd use "u", "lol", "lmao" with many posts, I'd get all uppity (but not say anything) about the racism. There's my life story from a few months ago.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Ugh, i don't like them.

I was brought here by Ruroken, thank him everybody. Also, i joined in March, but got banned...twice.

BREAK
10-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I first joined in the September of 2000 under the name break_y0_self. I was at the shameful age of 17 at the time, and thought that I knew everything. My first post (if I'm not mistaken) was telling magma to fuck off or something because she'd made a topic talking about how great she was because of her post count (a cursory examination of the topics revealed that the majority of her posts consisted of :p and little else). So basically, I've been an asshole to people here since day one (particularly to the more popular and well-liked). I did like the Offspring, but even back then I thought their fans were retards of the most drooling, spastic caliber. My membership set off a chain of events that determined the course of my life for the next 4-5 years. I'm in a much better place now than I was then, but it sure has been a strange, confusing ride. I'm unsure whether I'd go through it all again. As loathe as I can be to admit it, this board has had a profound impact on my life and it's hard to imagine how things would've turned out without it. Is anyone else as pathetic as me?

T-6005
10-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I no longer remember, I was on the old boards as well. I got into the offspring when Americana came out, and I still consider them my favorite band, but I spend my time mostly listening to other stuff.

I believe I've always been T-6005.

bd007h
10-11-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm member #344, and I've been here since October of 2004. I was introduced to the offspring in 1994, but I didn't become a huge fan until 1999.

GreenTerror
10-11-2005, 08:08 PM
I was on the boards since the beginning/middle of of 2003-ish yeah I hardly remember exactly when. I was Beheaded. But, I've been all hardcore Offspring fan for about 3 years now. Their faces still cover nearly every inch of my walls, The first CD in my CD case is their self titled, then all the other ones after that, in order. I don't listen to them as much as I used to when I first got into them, but every now and then, I'll think of them and throw in Ignition or even Conspiracy of One and listen to every song and think of how much I love them. I honestly don't think any band can replace them. Ever. And I really mean that. My music taste has just expanded since I was introduced to them, not really changed. I would have never listened to alot of the Punk I listen to now if it wasn't for The Offspring. They were my first real favorite band that I could really listen to and get into whatever mood they'd put me in. My very first concert/show was the Offspring and I loved it. Oh, I can still remember how much pain I was in the next day. :D. Even a year after that, at Warped this year, I've getting into the Hardcore/Emo music, after I threw up waiting for From First to Last to play, I saw Offspring about 15 minutes after that, and I was totally exhausted. Really, you coulden't imagine how badly I wanted to just sit somewhere and chill for a bit. But instead I nearly passed out seeing Offspring, but I got to crowd surf for the first time :).
So, in conclusion, I love the Offspring and always will.

Mota Boy
10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
As loathe as I can be to admit it, this board has had a profound impact on my life and it's hard to imagine how things would've turned out without it. Is anyone else as pathetic as me?
Holy shit... good God, no.

Betty
10-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Joined in 2000 as "Betty".

I was always a good poster, but went unnoticed for a long time, still sorta do now I guess.

I used to post in "Album and Songs" when I started and actually posted quite a bit about Offspring-related things (because it was an Offspring message board!) But I recall that a bunch of decent people posted in that forum at the time before moving to "Fan Corner". I was a little skeptical about that forum initially due to a lot of very silly things, like for example the "Semi-powerful army" which seemed to infiltrate it.

At one point I stopped posting for probably nearly a year, but have posted faithfully on this new board that started up a year ago, and have been enjoying it more than ever.

I still like the Offspring a lot. And their CDs rotate through my CD player as often as any of the others (but there are lots so that's not too often!) I actually listened to Splinter today, just for kicks. I think part of the reason I have actually held on to my relationship to the band for so long is the fact that I've actively followed their last two tours... and seeing them live and hanging out with them made me as excited as I used to be when I was 15.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Yes, that Semi-Powerful Army scared me away from Fan Corner for quite a while as well.

platinumpt
10-11-2005, 10:55 PM
My history on these foruns is quite recent:

I registered in July 2005 (which means I registered 3 months ago, or so), even though I listen to The Offspring for several years. It's just that posting in public foruns never was my thing, but I decided to give it a try now... and as The Offspring are my favorite band ever, this was one of the ideal places to start I think.

I like to be here, so I hope I'll be able to stick around for a while, trying to conciliate work, posting, etc. So far so good.

Mota Boy
10-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Yes, that Semi-Powerful Army scared me away from Fan Corner for quite a while as well.
Heh, I remember one of my first posts upon posting in earnest was flaming the SPA's attempt rerise and getting... Insane Cow?... to decide to give it up.

Ironically, I believe I flamed her, in part, for being part of a clique.

Autonomist
10-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I turned up around 2002/2003, and I think I tried to register but there was something I couldn't get my head around, don't remember anymore. Gave up after a while and came back this year in November, where I joined as punkconspiracy. Got sick of that name, so I capitalised it and still didn't like it, so I eventually settled on Autonomist, as my band was previously called Autonomy after The Offspring song of the same name.

I still like The Offspring, but I listen to them a lot less then I use to and my dedication for them is definetely wearing thin. I've since realised that there are much better bands out there.

WebDudette
10-11-2005, 11:51 PM
I've listened to Offspring for atleast 5 or 6 years and I still like them quite a bit and call them my fav band but I'am slowly realizing there not all that good and there are much better bands out there.

I joined under the name PilZ-E not some unoriginal name involving the words punk or offspring.I never posted much about the offspring I would go to the song versus song some times and I've explained what Ixnay on the Hombre means countless times becase of mind numbingly stupid people wo can't use the search button. But other than that i havent posted much about them.

Kerr
10-14-2005, 09:00 AM
I have listened to The Offspring since around end of 2001 / start of 2002, around the time I actually started to buy my own music rather than listen to all the crappy popular hits on the radio. I used to love them, but I have recently grown out of them a bit once my musical taste became much broader. There are much better bands than them. I do occasionally play a song by them, even the odd live song, but I prioritise listening to other bands above The Offspring. This is why I stopped posting in General Offspring Chat.

As for posting here, I only started posting at the end of February under a really crappy username, Jimbob2005 (I was new to how forums then, and I rather stupidly assumed it was some kind of login name, and your username was something you could change in your options :-S). I changed it to my surname in June. I tend to post less now as I decided that if I can't think of anything decent to post, or anything that might contribute well to a thread, it's not really worth posting at all. Although I have been posting a bit more in the past few days due to interesting threads, like this one.

I also considered starting a thread almost like this, asking whether those who have been posting on here for years still like The Offspring, just purely out of curiosity.

killer_queen
10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm not a old member, I joined this board on february and started posting a couple of months later. I've been listening them for a year and just started to get bored of them. I don't think I will be a fan in a few years later but they will always be my favourite rock band.

Rag Doll
10-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I also considered starting a thread almost like this, asking whether those who have been posting on here for years still like The Offspring, just purely out of curiosity.

Most of us don't...just in case that wasn't addressed anywhere in this thread.

I joined in 2000 to post in Posts to Band Members. I even got a reply from Dexter on my very first post (that makes me way cool, dontcha know). Even though the Offspring were my favorite band, I cant say I was every really too interested in talking about them. I changed a lot since I started posting here, some for the better and some not, and I think this place had a role in that....and some people here had a rather large role in that. The Offspring stopped being my favorite band years ago, but I care so much about some people here that I can't pry myself away.

memento
10-14-2005, 12:08 PM
I joined the board in 1939. As "Hitler".

Paint_It_Black
10-14-2005, 07:14 PM
I've been posting here for...7 years I guess. I used to post as scared_wolf. I don't think my posting style has changed much, except I take very little seriously anymore. I think I stopped posting for a year once, and sometimes I disappear for a few months, then end up back here again.

I got heavily into the Offspring around the time of Americana. I bought all their previous albums (and quickly decided their older stuff was far superior in general). I fell in love with their music because it was so different to the utter shit I heard on the radio in England. I was pretty obsessed for a while, and I don't think it really began to decline until CO1 came out. Even though I still liked them,I had to admit that CO1 was pretty worthless. That, combined with growing up, and being exposed to more music, slowly killed my love affair with the Offspring. I still held a special place for them in my heart though, until Splinter. It's one of the worst albums I have ever heard. I was disgusted.

I can still hear their older stuff sometimes and enjoy it, but I can't understand anymore how I used to be so obsessed with them.

Jebus
10-14-2005, 07:22 PM
I think I started posting right at the beginning of the board after the white board. I had just bought Conspiracy of One and I wanted to share my opinions. Anyone who remembers me will also remember that I was a pretty bad poster. I recall making a Jebus vs Jesus thread along with several other ridiculous threads and I though Ninth and ozymandias were meanzors. I was also a post whore. I mostly posted in the offspring section of the board because I was an obsessed fan at the time but I have since gotten into a completely differenty type of music. I rarely listen to Offspring anymore but I still like them.

barangatang
10-14-2005, 11:30 PM
jebus was a pretty bad poster. I recall making a Jebus vs Jesus

Are you and jesus the same person? (fuck, that sound really weird)

Was the Jebus the place where king Soloman built the first temple?

Jebus
10-15-2005, 02:28 AM
No, I am not the user Jesus. I meant Jesus as in the son of God. I think Jebus was also that place but I took the name from the Simpsons.

Kerr
10-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Most of us don't...just in case that wasn't addressed anywhere in this thread.

It might have been hinted at in the first post.

It doesn't come much as a surpirse to me that most of you, once you grew up, don't like them. I am actually beginning to dislike them more, alongside bands like Green Day and now even NOFX. That all feels like a mere phase.

Rag Doll
10-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Ah. I read the first post when it was posted....didn't reply til way later, so i couldn't remember what was said exactly =\

notoriousdoc
10-15-2005, 06:35 AM
I joined April 2005, n00b'd about in the Offspring bit for a while, "fell madly in love with Duskygrin", and now here I am. Man that was short, oh well, at least I didn't have any embaressing first nicknames

Kerr
10-15-2005, 06:40 AM
at least I didn't have any embaressing first nicknames
Unlike me... :/

Megs
10-15-2005, 06:57 AM
a lot of people in "general chat" didn't even join because they like the offspring. i joined mainly for the reason that i knew Punky Dudess, but i also liked the offspring, and i'd been meaning to join for ages.

dalaksta
10-15-2005, 10:51 AM
this is offspring forums y is there an official thread if the whole site is about them?

0r4ng3
10-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Read the thread (not even, just the first post) to understand.

Jebus
10-15-2005, 01:03 PM
TTIG, I just saw your birthdate. There's no way you're younger than me.

0r4ng3
10-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Jebus, I had no idea you were only that much older either.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
10-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Woah, im older than Jebus and TTiG.