PDA

View Full Version : Mota Boy's Thought of the Night

Mota Boy
10-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Decades ago, Jews trying to break into Hollywood would often change their last names so that they could be better accepted by the American public. Thus Allen Konigsberg became Woody Allen, Jacob Cohen became Rodney Dangerfield, Issur Danilovich Demsky became Kirk Douglas, Walter Matasschanskayasky became Walter Matthau.

I wonder, will a new generation arise? A generation of actors that change their last name not becaus it's something Jewish, but because it's Baldwin or Wayans? You don't want anyone getting the wrong impression.

Endymion
10-12-2005, 12:22 AM
are you trying to tell me that studios don't instantly pull out their pocket books at the drop of a "baldwin" or "wayans"?

Paint_It_Black
10-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Getting a little closer to our time, Jon Stewart also changed his name.

Vera
10-12-2005, 04:55 AM
My Jewdar sucks because I had no idea Jon Stewart was Jewish until like ..a week ago.

Endymion
10-12-2005, 09:15 AM
My Jewdar sucks because I had no idea Jon Stewart was Jewish until like ..a week ago.
that's like not picking up that liberace was gay.

Vera
10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
He's not that flamboyant of a Jew! :[

JohnnyNemesis
10-12-2005, 10:03 AM
that's like not picking up that liberace was gay.

Exactly.

In other news, Al Sharpton is Black.

Little_Miss_1565
10-12-2005, 10:20 AM

...but he jokes about it on the Daily Show all the time!

HornyPope
10-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Jews coming to Hollywood was a generation of young dreamers seeking no more than to pursue the art of their choice without racism and prejudice.

What's the Negroes' excuse? Ja Rule, DMX, Queen Latifah?

Vera
10-12-2005, 11:31 AM
...but he jokes about it on the Daily Show all the time!
I have seen like 10 TDS episodes. Hello, Finland! My only source is the internet and I only download TDS eps when I'm dreadfully bored.

Paint_It_Black
10-12-2005, 10:56 PM

Yeah, if he didn't joke about it I wouldn't have noticed.

The Daily Show is one of the greatest reasons for living in this country. I'm eagerly awaiting The Colbert Report.

Endymion
10-12-2005, 11:39 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting The Colbert Report.
it's french, bitch.

Paint_It_Black
10-12-2005, 11:47 PM
I find myself randomly saying that at many inappropriate times.

Mota Boy
10-13-2005, 01:01 AM
I love that CNN international runs a special Daily Show international edition.

The Colbert report will be incredibly interesting. I'm really curious to see how much expose reporting it'll be (a la Daily Show) or how much mocking other talking heads.

Paint_It_Black
10-13-2005, 01:25 AM
I'm expecting it to be significantly different from the Daily Show. Stephen Colbert needs to prove himself a little, show that he can lead a quality show. I'll be disappointed if it feels just like watching Jon Stewart's best sidekick, but without Jon Stewart. And really the whole "senior analyst" routine wouldn't work without Jon Stewart playing the straight man.

A republican friend of mine is very critical of the Daily Show, even though I've pointed out they do make fun of Democrats aswell as Republicans. It's natural that the Republicans take more of the fire, as they are the ones actually running the country. My friend actually attacks the show for not being "real news", whatever that means, completely ignoring the fact that the Daily Show team are always the first to say they are a fake news show, and Jon Stewart freely admits they care first and foremost about being funny. Although I actully wish they'd give themselves a little more credit, being a funny news show doesn't make it fake. They regularly highlight incredibly interesting and important news that I don't see getting mentioned anywhere else. My Republican friend, again, likes to say they take things out of context. Well, who doesn't? And when the Daily Show do it, they don't try to hide what they are doing and it's only for comdic value. But more often they don't need any little editing tricks. My favourite thing about the show is the way they show clips of politicians saying one thing, followed by a clip of them (or one of their colleagues) contradicting them a few days later. There can be no "out of context" excuse for this. It simply highlights that politicians think we are stupid, and we need people to keep track of all of their bullshit. It's also great when they treat us to clips from "real" news shows, often coming from Fox. A channel that my Republican friend seems to love. Funny that.

Mota Boy
10-13-2005, 01:35 AM
The way I see it, The Daily Show is an excellent supplement to the news.

The thing is, there are two ways to report news. One is a "he said, she said, let's call the whole thing off" format and the other is reporting the facts and forcing everyone to stick to those facts - calling people on their bullshit. The first type is the type of reporting featured by CNN, often Fox and many other shows. They take two pundits who distort the story to fit their agenda, then say "Well, who knows?". That's what got Bob Woodward so angry at the recent debates over Deep Throat - the news took a conservative perspective that Nixon was unfairly attacked and a liberal one that it was the right thing to do and then refused to settle the issue instead of steadfastly holding everyone to the truth and harking on an incredibly abuse of power at the highest level of government.

The Daily Show is much more like the second type of reporting - it delivers a fresh perspective on the news. And though much of it truly is fake, it's abrasiveness and willingness to actually confront officials and call them on their bullshit is needed in this day and age. People that don't like are people that can't face the truth about their party.

Paint_It_Black
10-13-2005, 01:42 AM
The way I see it, The Daily Show is an excellent supplement to the news.

Very true. In a sense, I treat any news show as a supplement to the news, with "the news" being some gestalt entity created from all these different sources.

Endymion
10-13-2005, 01:53 AM
i'd consider myself closer to a republican than a democrat and i find the daily show to be less biased and to have fewer 'filler' stories than your normal news program.

that and it's fucking funny.