PDA

View Full Version : Downfall

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-12-2005, 01:22 PM
I just bought this film from MVC for 15.99, dual disc, and oh my god.. it is amazing. One of my favourite films of all time, second only to The Shawshank Redemption. And even then, it's very close.

Starring Bruno Ganz as Adolf Hitler, it depicts the final months of WWII, and Hitler's descent into madness as his Generals begin to lose faith all around him. Ganz's portrayal of Hitler is absolutely incredible, one of the best playing of any role I've seen in any film, ever, and Goebbels, Himmler and Eva Braun are also all played magnificently.

It's a good film to watch if you speak German, because it's all in German. But there's English subtitles. I thought this'd detract from it a bit, but it doesn't, it adds to it so much. Seeing Hitler speaking as he really would have spoken adds so much to the atmosphere of the film.

They're slightly kind with some of the Nazis - Goebbels for example is about 5' 11", and doesn't walk with a limp, and they end up portraying Himmler as a bit of a hero. But this doesn't detract at all - it's still a beautifully powerful film.

Steal it, borrow it, buy it, rent it, watch it.

HornyPope
10-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah it's a great film. I posted it somewhere already.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Oh, sorry. I didn't do a Search. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

HornyPope
10-12-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't think I posted a whole topic to it. I seldom do (though it probably deserves it). I merely wrote a description in some thread. And yeah, the acting is beyond superb and very real atmosphere too. Thats what impressed me most.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-12-2005, 01:29 PM
The Shawshank Redemption is possibly one of the all time greats, I also like the green mile, but yea The Shawshank Redemption is somethink else.

voodoomagik
10-12-2005, 01:29 PM
just saw it and i was thinking of making a thread about it also but you beat me to it! the character of adolf was played almost perfectly...

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-12-2005, 01:30 PM
I have to say, I think the speaking in German did it for me. I've never seen a war film do that before, be entirely in a home country's language except English, and it was wonderfully powerful.

voodoomagik
10-12-2005, 01:32 PM
that adds that little "something" that was missing in some other world war related movies

HornyPope
10-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Agreed on both Bruno Ganz and German counts. What else I like is the movie doesn't any idiotic demagogs like they showed in At the Enemy's Gates who try and pass us a message. Instead it's all action, and real talk.

Trippy
10-12-2005, 01:51 PM
I hated it. Horrible.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-12-2005, 02:33 PM
I hated it. Horrible.

How come ?

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Downfall sucks almost as much as the creator of this thread.

Why's that, wishomie?

0r4ng3
10-12-2005, 02:36 PM
How come ?
Because he probably never saw or heard about it.

What you said about it makes me want to see it. And I'm usually against seeing any movies.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Because all movies suck.

Well, that's nice. Thanks for contributing. Go away now.

And yes, or4ng3, I highly, highly recommend it.