PDA

View Full Version : Is sarcasm dead?

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2004, 03:20 PM
I've seen more indignant threads on this BBS due to something someone said in jest in the last few days than I think I've seen in my entire life. Which leads me to ask--is sarcasm dead?

wheelchairman
11-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Nope. Sarcasm is my preferred method of communication in just about everything in life.

What's dead is people's ability to sense depth to a post.

Endymion
11-26-2004, 03:24 PM
yes, it is.

The Cheshire Cat
11-26-2004, 03:25 PM
If you're talking about Hornypopes posts in the politics forum, I think everyone got the fact that he was joking but wanted to have a political discussion anyway.

JoY
11-26-2004, 03:31 PM
I'll just openly confess, that I suck the life out of sarcasm. I'm terrible at it. either I'm misunderstood & taken seriously, or I get laughed at. not my thing, but I sure appreciate a good sarcastic comment from anyone else, who's slightly skilled at it.

Betty
11-26-2004, 04:54 PM
I totally love it!

But I agree that people are pretty bad at it around here...

babycraze{Angie}
11-26-2004, 05:10 PM
yea and im the one who has to say, WHY IN FUCKIN' HELL WOULD U SAY THAT SARCASM IS DEAD?!?!?!?! do u not realize that there are a shitload of goths who act and ARE snobby and use sarcasm a lot? well re-think that man. by the way, sarasm is dead, oh wait, im pretty sure that is what u mean when ppl try too hard on trying to be sarcastic (that was a demonstration of it)

lousyskater
11-26-2004, 05:13 PM
most people have trouble seeing sacasm in text. that's probably why it seems like everyone is too serious at times. i can usually sort sarcasm from seriousness, but sometimes i cant tell what it is.

JoY
11-26-2004, 05:16 PM
most people have trouble seeing sacasm in text. that's probably why it seems like everyone is too serious at times. i can usually sort sarcasm from seriousness, but sometimes i cant tell what it is.
have I ever agreed with you before? then this must be a first..

some people just know how to express sarcasm the right way. in those cases it's even obvious from text. for people, who'd maybe sound sarcastic phonetically, I guess they're just unlucky at a message board.

wheelchairman
11-26-2004, 05:43 PM
yea and im the one who has to say, WHY IN FUCKIN' HELL WOULD U SAY THAT SARCASM IS DEAD?!?!?!?! do u not realize that there are a shitload of goths who act and ARE snobby and use sarcasm a lot? well re-think that man. by the way, sarasm is dead, oh wait, im pretty sure that is what u mean when ppl try too ard on trying to sarcastic (that was a demonstration of it)
This is a terrible demonstration of it.

babycraze{Angie}
11-26-2004, 05:49 PM
This is a terrible demonstration of it.
DUH!!!!!! EXACTLY MY POINT! don't u ppl ever read replys fully?

babycraze{Angie}
11-26-2004, 05:50 PM
that is how ppl try to be sarcastic nowadays, u ppl need to get out more. :rolleyes:

wheelchairman
11-26-2004, 05:50 PM
I realize, I don't think I've understood a full sentence of yours.

babycraze{Angie}
11-26-2004, 06:00 PM
lol well nvm about it, the thing is, sarcasm is NOT dead as i said, becuz of the goths that are snobby and who are wannabes that ACT snobby just to fit in with the goths. but i have sarcasm at times, just that i don't say it when i want to, i just say what i say, it never comes out as planned but it usually makes a good impression.

Mota Boy
11-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Sarcasm isn't dead, it's just that since it's conveyed through inflection, it's quite difficult to pull off online - you have to be smart enough to 1) remember the past preferences/beliefs/intelligence level of the person posting and 2) figure out whether or not it jives with their latest statement.

This combination, put together with the fact that the majority of people are morons, makes sarcasm on this board often go unrecognized. Personally, I find that environment to be much more fun.

wheelchairman
11-26-2004, 06:08 PM
lol well nvm about it, the thing is, sarcasm is NOT dead as i said, becuz of the goths that are snobby and who are wannabes that ACT snobby just to fit in with the goths. but i have sarcasm at times, just that i don't say it when i want to, i just say what i say, it never comes out as planned but it usually makes a good impression.
Wait a minute, are you serious about that reply? I thought you had just been trying to be sarcastic. How could I know that you were merely babbling about unrelated events.

The Cheshire Cat
11-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Even if you're really good at conveying sarcasm in text, someone will still misunderstand you. You can say the craziest crap you can think of and someone will still think you mean it.

I'm a very sarcastic person in real life, but I know I can't convey it well in text, so I don't bother trying. Sarcasm has a lot to do with tone of voice, you can sort of do it by capitalizing a lot of words, but that doesn't look very good. You KNOW, it LOOKS like THIS.

L2L1
11-26-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm sorry but it may be as dead as Rick James.

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2004, 08:11 PM

Goths may be responsible for a lot of things; however, carrying the torch for sarcasm is DEFINATELY not one of them.

You're an existing member's troll, aren't you?

Vera
11-27-2004, 03:40 AM
We should all get our own trolls. It'd be so much fun.

Sarcasm isn't exactly death, but but... Well, you know.

I hate people who want to point out their sarcasm with the :rolleyes: smilie. Jesus christ. It used to be an okay smilie but then everyone butchered it.

punk_flamingo
11-27-2004, 06:02 AM
its a bit difficult to be sarcastic on a forum anyway

Inshane
11-27-2004, 06:12 AM
My litirature (litariture wtf.) book says sarcasm is a way to make others cry and that people who use sarcastic comments 'want to see blood'.

that makes me a murderer.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 07:12 AM
Goths may be responsible for a lot of things; however, carrying the torch for sarcasm is DEFINATELY not one of them.

You're an existing member's troll, aren't you?
well, how would u know how OUR goths are? u're over seas missy, our goths talk real shit, there are just 2 i know who seem really kul. i can tell they aren't shittalkers.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Wait a minute, are you serious about that reply? I thought you had just been trying to be sarcastic. How could I know that you were merely babbling about unrelated events.
noooooooooooooooo, wheelchairman, i was being sarcastic becuz it's that easy.

OF COURSE I WAS BEING SERIOUS! u should know by now when im being serious and when im saying a bunch of opinionated stuff considering u usually read a lot of my replys in other threads.

wheelchairman
11-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Please, would someone translate what he wrote?

Izie
11-27-2004, 07:36 AM
Please, would someone translate what he wrote?

Somehow, I doubt that.

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2004, 09:18 AM
well, how would u know how OUR goths are? u're over seas missy, our goths talk real shit, there are just 2 i know who seem really kul. i can tell they aren't shittalkers.

Overseas?! There is no way that one person can actually be that stupid.

Whose alter ego is this?

Inshane
11-27-2004, 10:26 AM
'our goths' that sounds like goths are little action figures you have to collect to get a whole army. Armys that will go to fight in wars overseas. :\

*ignore my thoughts.

Inshane
11-27-2004, 11:23 AM
boring war that would be.

Not Ozymandias
11-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Sarcasm would only be dead if EVERYBODY got it.

Vera
11-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Hahahaha, overseas? So Chicago is overseas from ...MA?

Wow, Geography, anyone?

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 05:51 PM
damn u ppl are slow, FIGURE OF SPEECH PPL, u really need to get with it. (that is another figure of speech just so the retards know)

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Saying that I live in a country across the ocean that is not America is not a figure of speech.

Nice try.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Saying that I live in a country across the ocean that is not America is not a figure of speech.

Nice try.
what the hell am i supposed to say? "oh, u're all the way over in that direction and im over here" bullshit! that would just AS lame, besides, i like using my words of "overseas" i haven't been using that lately, but i do mean what i said that OUR goths are a lot differ from ur's in general.

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2004, 06:18 PM
"Our" goths? Your and who else's goths?

I'd recommend that you find a new word other than "overseas," because it really just doesn't make sense the way you're trying to use it.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 06:23 PM
"Our" goths? Your and who else's goths?

I'd recommend that you find a new word other than "overseas," because it really just doesn't make sense the way you're trying to use it.
my city goths, i live in the city, and im not a goth, i might seem like it (in looks and MAYBE the way i "speak" here) but no, im not a goth. i know it makes no sense when i use it! that's only becuz u don't know me, u don't know how i am, u don't know my way of speaking form, u don't know nething about me period! and im not saying u should cuz i don't know u either neway. the goths i know around here are complete asses except the 2 i said i think are really cool.

nitropenguin!
11-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Geez people should stop obsessing about what label they should slap on themselves and others...

Lots of "goths" have their own attitude, they can act opposite to how they dress. I mean it's like saying all black people should like hip hop. How many goths do you actually know there to give you the right of calling them asses. And how did we start talking about goths anyway?

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Geez people should stop obsessing about what label they should slap on themselves and others...

Lots of "goths" have their own attitude, they can act opposite to how they dress. I mean it's like saying all black people should like hip hop. How many goths do you actually know to give you the right of calling them asses. And how did we start talking about goths anyway?
*raises hand with no shame* that was me, i was using that as an example.

nitropenguin!
11-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Well *some* goths can be sarcastic cuz they chose to blend in with the look and act gloomy. But there's a number of members on this board that are sarcastic but aren't goths. I've never thought about sarcasm being dead :confused: everyone uses it sometime.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 07:04 PM
of course others on here try or are sarcatic on these boards, but as i said, i was just using them as an example.

ThrashedThrasher
11-27-2004, 07:21 PM

You're generalizing goths. They're not all like that, my boyfriend sure as hell isn't like that. Hell, you can't even say he or any other people I know that are supposedly 'goths' really are goths. Drop the big picture and look into the details you'll find that not every "goth" is gloomy,depressed,suicidal,etc. It depends on the person. Another thing, you should retake your 6th grade Language Arts class, along with another year of 7th. It'll do you some good.

nitropenguin!
11-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Exactly what I was pointing out :)

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 07:24 PM
You're generalizing goths. They're not all like that, my boyfriend sure as hell isn't like that. Hell, you can't even say he or any other people I know that are supposedly 'goths' really are goths. Drop the big picture and look into the details you'll find that not every "goth" is gloomy,depressed,suicidal,etc. It depends on the person. Another thing, you should retake your 6th grade Language Arts class, along with another year of 7th. It'll do you some good.
1st of, u don't know my grade level which is as far as ur stage i can bet. 2nd off, i said i know 2 goths who aren't like that at all, and i said in general, maybe u should re-read what i say, and look to pay attention in what i say.

nitropenguin!
11-27-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm guessing you're in grade 8 since you're... 13, correct?

ThrashedThrasher
11-27-2004, 07:28 PM
1st of, u don't know my grade level which is as far as ur stage i can bet. 2nd off, i said i know 2 goths who aren't like that at all, and i said in general, maybe u should re-read what i say, and look to pay attention in what i say.

Ahem, excuse me I'm in 8th grade honors English. I'm way above your level dumbass. I don't have to re-read anything I'm simply telling you that you ARE generalizing goths. You're making yourself sound stupid so just shut up. Look what you said " I know 2 goths who aren't like that at all, and I said in general." YOU JUST SAID THAT YOU WERE CLASSIFYING THEM AS A GENERAL GROUP! At least when I pop-off with some remark it makes sence.

nitropenguin!
11-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Thrasher, you don't seem like an 8th grader... unless 8th graders are pretty intelligent in your location.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 07:42 PM
actually im not an 8th grader, what in hell gave you that idea? im a 7th grader, and btw, my level is a 3rd year of high school almost close to Senior, but im put on the Junior level instead. and i was given the chance to take the SAT's real early, which was last year (6th grade) but i didn't want to take it, that's lame to put me on the roll to take a damn test that i have not yet taken a look on becuz i know i wouldn't be able to pass that shit. AND THOSE 2 GOTHS ARE PUT AWAY FROM THE ACTUAL GROUP! the majority that i know are very hostile and snobby, but apart from them, there are few here who are cool, is what i meant and still do.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 07:44 PM
and how can i shut up? IM TYPING RESPONSES WITHOUT EVEN SAYING ANYTHING ALOUD! all from the brain that got me to where i am and will take me down the road of LaneTech, one of the best High Schools there will ever be in this forsaken city of murderers

JoY
11-27-2004, 07:45 PM
what a pointless discussion.

nitropenguin!
11-27-2004, 07:59 PM
You know, JoY, you've taken part in some pointless discussions in the past.

Rag Doll
11-27-2004, 08:02 PM
actually im not an 8th grader, what in hell gave you that idea? im a 7th grader, and btw, my level is a 3rd year of high school almost close to Senior, but im put on the Junior level instead. and i was given the chance to take the SAT's real early, which was last year (6th grade) but i didn't want to take it, that's lame to put me on the roll to take a damn test that i have not yet taken a look on becuz i know i wouldn't be able to pass that shit. AND THOSE 2 GOTHS ARE PUT AWAY FROM THE ACTUAL GROUP! the majority that i know are very hostile and snobby, but apart from them, there are few here who are cool, is what i meant and still do.

Taking the SATs early isn't that amazing. I did it and so did about 20% of the kids I went to high school with.

And I "passed" it. It's really not that difficult.

Anyways. Chill out guys. Geez.

nitropenguin!
11-27-2004, 08:06 PM
I'd probably fail the SATs if I took 'em now... still trying to teach myself how to be calm and avoid getting nervous during exams.

Though I'm lucky I'll never have to take it since I'm in Canada :)

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 08:09 PM
taking the SATs i know isn't great for shit, i just thought i'd add it since most ppl don't know me, and which im pretty sure they don't believe i was given that chance to nehow. but it's true and if they don't believe it, then they're slow, y would sumbody lie just for sum lame come-back and yes i know i was talking about my statement, so what? i talk shit, even about myself, nobody's perfect.

Tired_Of_You
11-27-2004, 08:10 PM
I've understood that SATs are like some kind of exams ( well, I hope, cause I must look stupid, then)... but what is it about exactly? And why you have to do that in the USA?

nitropenguin!
11-27-2004, 08:11 PM
It's a bigass exam you have to take in your last year of highschool... that's all I know.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 08:13 PM
I've understood that SATs is like an exam ( well, I hope, cause I must look stupid, then)... but what is it about exactly? And why you have to take that in the USA?
u have to take that test in order to get in2 college, sumtimes u have to take a differ test becuz it depends on what u want to study for, if u're qualified to enter college, and what college u want to attend. and yes, the SATs is like an exam, i think they said it would be about 3 hours long or sumthing, no bathroom breaks, no nothing, u have to finish the test within those 3 hours. and they don't tell u how much time u have left either which sux cuz i don't like to look up and check the time, i like it when they tell us cuz i won't waste time trying to either finish my answrs or recheck them.

Rag Doll
11-27-2004, 08:13 PM
it's a very long test taken on a weekend (usually) with sections on language & math (and now i believe there's also a writing section). it's supposed to show colleges how wonderful/terrible you are. a lot of colleges require your score for admissions purposes, but the score is really a load of crap. the test is so biased and everything else. plus not every school really does the same stuff, yet the test is the same nationwide.

and no, i'm not complaining because i did bad. i did alright, though i prolly could have done better.

i think they're actually thinking of doing away with it or something.

Rag Doll
11-27-2004, 08:14 PM
u have to take that test in order to get in2 college, sumtimes u have to take a differ test becuz it depends on what u want to study for, if u're qualified to enter college, and what college u want to attend. and yes, the SATs is like an exam, i think they said it would be about 3 hours long or sumthing, no bathroom breaks, no nothing, u have to finish the test within those 3 hours. and they don't tell u how much time u have left either which sux cuz i don't like to look up and check the time, i like it when they tell us cuz i won't waste time trrying to either finish my answrs or recheck them.

they do tell you when you're running out of time. they usually write it on the board or something.

you've never even taken them. pfft.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 08:17 PM
they do tell you when you're running out of time. they usually write it on the board or something.

you've never even taken them. pfft.
they don't for us. and they've explained to me what was going to happen in them thank you not much.

Tired_Of_You
11-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the answers =)
I'm happy I live in Canada so I won't have to do that this year, hehe.
But anyway at the end of the year I'll have to do really big exams in maths, French, English etc and they usually last more than 2 hours.

Rag Doll
11-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Actually, nation-wide test givers are supposed to follow the same exact procedures. So either you're lying or someone isn't doing something correctly (could be northern New Jersey for all I know).

Rag Doll
11-27-2004, 08:19 PM
But anyway at the end of the year I'll have to do really big exams in maths, French, English etc and they usually last more than 2 hours.

no problem =)

i took a few long exams in high school for college credit, but that was it (minus the SATs).

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Actually, nation-wide test givers are supposed to follow the same exact procedures. So either you're lying or someone isn't doing something correctly (could be northern New Jersey for all I know).
lol, well who cares? they're all about the same neway. the lady who pulled me outta class told me what was going to happen and stuff and she said they won't say nething of how much time u have left, u need to check for urself supposedly becuz they don't wanna disturb the ppl who are still taking it.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 08:23 PM
netimez for just about ne ? given to me.

let this note:
if i ever sound like a bitch to ne1, just remember that's how i am. so don't think it's nething against u, i just speak with either horrible or really strong remarks.

Tired_Of_You
11-27-2004, 08:28 PM
netimez for just about ne ? given to me.

let this note:
if i ever sound like a bitch to ne1, just remember that's how i am. so don't think it's nething against u, i just speak with either horrible or really strong remarks.

I'm not sure if I understood your first sentece, but anyway I thanked you, Rag Doll and nitropenguin! for answering me.

Oh and I don't care if anyone is a bitch to me, damn this is only a bbs, I don't care. Most of the time it makes me smile when people get mad at me or say that I'm stupid or whatever.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure if I understood your first sentece, but anyway I thanked you, Rag Doll and nitropenguin! for answering me.

Oh and I don't care if anyone is a bitch to me, damn this is only a bbs, I don't care. Most of the time it makes me smile when people get mad at me or say that I'm stupid or whatever.
what my 1st sentence really said was "anytimez for any question given to me" i just put it in a shorter version.

Tired_Of_You
11-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Ah ok. I didn't understand the "?" at first.

babycraze{Angie}
11-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Ah ok. I didn't understand the "?" at first.
LOL! not really a lot of ppl i used to talk to in the Offspring Chatroom understood either, but they got it...eventually. ;)

SicN Twisted
11-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Sarcasm is still very much alive. Good sarcasm is still rare though, I only see it in film characters now. Sarcasm is easy with months of editing.

RXP
11-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Taking the SATs early isn't that amazing. I did it and so did about 20% of the kids I went to high school with.

And I "passed" it. It's really not that difficult.

Everyone mistakes acamedic success with intelligence. I know one girl. In fact most girls I know. But anyway this one girl is so fucking smart she passed an exam on 3 hours revision without going to lectures or classes or doing any work before hand. This is quite something. Anyway she's thick and shit about the world. Good at passing exams.

But most girls are like that. They are stupid. Like in my seminar class. All the girls are fuckign stupid who never speak and want all the questions written so they can answer them and not debate about it.

Vera
11-28-2004, 02:20 AM
What the fuck are you on about (for a change)?

Maybe they want to write out answers because they're shy or just better at phrasing their answers in writing than in speech. Some people are just not orally talented (yes, omg LOLZOR orally LMAO, yeah yeah yeah). People also have different styles of learning. Some people learn faster than others. Some learn better with visuals, some by reading, some by hearing, it all depends on the person.

And I don't wonder why they wouldn't want to debate with you because Jesus Christ, from what I've done of it I can say it just feels fucking pointless as you usually miss my points or just don't GET IT.

Besides, if we want to talk about "what intelligence is", we'll all be talking about different things anyway. There are different types of intelligence. If we're talking about being quick-witted, then we can talk more specifically.

Or then we can just agree that everybody is stupid and what we all do is just act smart the best that we can. Some suck at it, but some are rather good.

RXP
11-28-2004, 02:28 AM
You are an example of a female who isn't stupid. There's actually a lot on here. But in real life most of the girls I know are fucking stupid. Book smarts rather than other smarts, get me?

Vera
11-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Sometimes I feel like I am only booksmart. Most of my "brilliant" ideas are ripped off from someone else anyway. Basically every thought has been thought of before. That's why I like Philosophy.

RXP
11-28-2004, 02:37 AM
It's not about that. A lot of mine is book smarts too but it's applying it correctly not like some parrot. Get me?

Vera
11-28-2004, 02:57 AM
Well it's what school's about and while it doesn't necessarily encourage individual thinking, it acts as an impulse for it. You learn so you can shape your ideas about the world according to what you know.

And when you learn to question, you're almost there.

Izie
11-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Everyone mistakes acamedic success with intelligence. I know one girl. In fact most girls I know. But anyway this one girl is so fucking smart she passed an exam on 3 hours revision without going to lectures or classes or doing any work before hand. This is quite something. Anyway she's thick and shit about the world. Good at passing exams.

But most girls are like that. They are stupid. Like in my seminar class. All the girls are fuckign stupid who never speak and want all the questions written so they can answer them and not debate about it.

I agree, except in one point. I don't think that girls are that way any more than boys. I think it depends on the character of the person, and not so much on the sex. Or maybe you notice it more in girls.

Vera, all ideas have been ripped off someone else, and the "everything has already been thought of, the only problem is to think of it again" line is quite true.

The point is that you need to have your own oppinions and ideas, and not just blindly follow what you read/see/hear/are told.

So I guess the point is, unless you question, and draw your own conclusions, all the books you have ever read in this world will never make you be smart, period.

Little_Miss_1565
11-28-2004, 08:15 AM

RXP, this is a world I live in, and since you are a member of the privileged side of it you may not have noticed this, or maybe you have and don't care. Anyway.

The dynamics of a co-ed classroom are extremely different from that of a single-sex classroom. Get a whole classroom (or school, for that matter) of only girls, though, and you'll see some damn awesome class participation and sassy discussion.

The fact is that many girls feel shut down in class discussions because of the tack that boys take in class discussion--boys and girls have two very different ideas of what makes a good discussion. Co-ed classrooms, no matter if there is a male or female professor leading, tend to take the boys' model, which makes many female students feel they have no place there. Hence, they do not participate.

This is not a sweeping this-is-how-all-girls-feel-when-boys-are-around-eew-cooties-lesbian-seperatism! thing. Just a bit of gender theory.

/feminist mode

Vera
11-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Very true & an excellent point, 1565. In my senior high we sometimes end up with classes with very little or no boys at all and in those classes I see many girls who usually never speak in class open their mouths and share their opinions (surprisingly clever opinions, too!). Often a class like this has made me think more highly of the usually quiet girls who I've considered either painfully shy or just quite dumb.

RXP
11-28-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm the only guy in my class. The rest are stupid girls. Your feminist shit don't wash. There's like 11 girls and me. No more. 14 girls and me.

Vera
11-28-2004, 09:35 AM
I don't necessarily trust your often misogynistic perspective, even though your misogynism might be just a really bad joke.

Not Ozymandias
11-28-2004, 09:51 AM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=46467&postcount=83

I was right; sarcasm is still potent since even geniuses with IQs of 145 can't grasp it.

Little_Miss_1565
11-28-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm the only guy in my class. The rest are stupid girls. Your feminist shit don't wash. There's like 11 girls and me. No more. 14 girls and me.

Though there's the possibility that your sparkling personality and (by your own admission) know-it-all elitism might be enough to shut down 14 girls, I'm more than willing to allow that maybe you've just got yourself a room full of stupid-ass girls.

RXP
11-28-2004, 11:52 AM
I think they are all just fucking stupid.

Little_Miss_1565
11-28-2004, 12:04 PM
I certainly hope you just mean the girls in your classroom by "they all."

RXP
11-28-2004, 12:09 PM
At this point in my life I think everyone is stupid. Male and female. Make of that what you will. We're all stupid.

Little_Miss_1565
11-28-2004, 12:13 PM
I could see that.

Vera
11-28-2004, 12:40 PM
At this point in my life I think everyone is stupid. Male and female. Make of that what you will. We're all stupid.
Just two days ago on MSN, it was:

"I am hot
I am intelligent"

Why the sudden change?

ThrashedThrasher
11-28-2004, 02:16 PM

I didn't say you were a 7th grader you dipshit. Oooo! 3rd year of highschool. Obviously not dildo. You can't spell for shit and your grammar is even worse. Yeah, the majority that you do know are assholes but take the time to think are all goths that exist like that? I don't think so. If you are oh so very intelligent why aren't you in highschool already? Why haven't you moved up to the grade level your intelligence needs to be put in? It's because you're lying.

ThrashedThrasher
11-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Thrasher, you don't seem like an 8th grader... unless 8th graders are pretty intelligent in your location.

O_o If I don't seem like I'm in 8th grade....what do I seem like? Most 8th graders here are dumbasses, not for their intelligence but because they don't care about school and all that. Very few actually give a damn about their grades, I'm the only person out of the group of friends that I have that knows where I will be going to college and what I would like to get a degree in. No one seems to bother with it.

SLB
11-28-2004, 02:22 PM
I didn't say you were a 7th grader you dipshit. Oooo! 3rd year of highschool. Obviously not dildo. You can't spell for shit and your grammar is even worse. Yeah, the majority that you do know are assholes but take the time to think are all goths that exist like that? I don't think so. If you are oh so very intelligent why aren't you in highschool already? Why haven't you moved up to the grade level your intelligence needs to be put in? It's because you're lying.

whats ur problem? and what did that person do to u? ur the one sounding like a dipshit not that person, grow up and act ur fucking age

ThrashedThrasher
11-28-2004, 02:27 PM
whats ur problem? and what did that person do to u? ur the one sounding like a dipshit not that person, grow up and act ur fucking age

Were you involved in this arguement? No, I don't think so. She's a fucking idiot and I can say what I want, act the way I want to act whether you people fuckin' like it or not. I know I sound like a dipshit but guess what! That's me, that's the way I am.

Betty
11-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Wow... things just degraded a bit...

But yeah, 1565, I have a hard time with the co-ed vs all girls classroom thing... sure I haven't ever experienced it... but I sure don't feel held back by the boys in my classes... and I'm out there having my say all the time. And I am a fairly shy person too in social groups, but I speak up in class if it's appropriate. It seems wrong to use it as an excuse, unless there is a particularly nasty guy in the class or something. But that could go for girls too.

I love boys. I live with boys. I am friends with mostly only boys. I would probably be more intimidated by girls. They are way more cliquey.

It just seems like boys and girls should get used to being together and not being separated like that.

I think we've had this same discussion before, but I just have a hard time understanding some feminist viewpoints.

Like, for example, on our campus there was this fence built alongside a road since there's construction on the other side. So basically, you walk on the sidewalk, separated from the road with a long fence on one side and then can cross the road at the end of the fence where there is a crosswalk. Apparently, this fence infringes on women's and other "disenfranchised" groups safety. Not everybody's safety, but just theirs. ALso, they didn't explain why. It seems silly because there are fences everywhere. Also, the fence is in theory supposed to protect them from the demolition site. Any thoughts?

wheelchairman
11-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Were you involved in this arguement? No, I don't think so. She's a fucking idiot and I can say what I want, act the way I want to act whether you people fuckin' like it or not. I know I sound like a dipshit but guess what! That's me, that's the way I am.
Sounds like an argument from the Ricki Lake show. Nitropenguin is dead wrong.

ThrashedThrasher
11-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Sounds like an argument from the Ricki Lake show. Nitropenguin is dead wrong.

You know what, I don't like you, so fuck off.

Little_Miss_1565
11-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Wow... things just degraded a bit...

But yeah, 1565, I have a hard time with the co-ed vs all girls classroom thing... sure I haven't ever experienced it... but I sure don't feel held back by the boys in my classes... and I'm out there having my say all the time. And I am a fairly shy person too in social groups, but I speak up in class if it's appropriate. It seems wrong to use it as an excuse, unless there is a particularly nasty guy in the class or something. But that could go for girls too.

I love boys. I live with boys. I am friends with mostly only boys. I would probably be more intimidated by girls. They are way more cliquey.

It just seems like boys and girls should get used to being together and not being separated like that.

I think we've had this same discussion before, but I just have a hard time understanding some feminist viewpoints.

Like, for example, on our campus there was this fence built alongside a road since there's construction on the other side. So basically, you walk on the sidewalk, separated from the road with a long fence on one side and then can cross the road at the end of the fence where there is a crosswalk. Apparently, this fence infringes on women's and other "disenfranchised" groups safety. Not everybody's safety, but just theirs. ALso, they didn't explain why. It seems silly because there are fences everywhere. Also, the fence is in theory supposed to protect them from the demolition site. Any thoughts?

I'm glad you've never experienced that in classrooms. It's true that there are a lot of girls that never do. However, there is a portion of girldom at least as large if not bigger that does fall into this category. The trouble is that to remedy this, a lot of schools end up disenfranchising boys in the process. It's tough.

I go to a women's college. I thought it was going to kill me, because all my friends are also all guys. The friends I make outside the school still tend to be only guys. But the academic environment has been so wonderful that I am a strong proponent of single-sex education for both genders. It doesn't make a person lose the ability to interact with someone of the opposite sex--rather, I think by strengthening interactions with people of your same gender, it gets rid of a lot of the myriad insecurities that cause a lot of the frictions between the two.

As far as the fence goes...it sounds like the area you're talking about separates people on the sidewalk from view. Any secluded place like that can potentially become somewhere that people hang out waiting to pick "disenfranchised group" members off. That said, I think it's really counterproductive, not to mention insulting, to continually treat women and racial minorities as victims that need to be protected by a bigger institution. I say we recognize what's wrong, fix it, and be done with it, rather than tiptoeing around it as it seems they're doing at your school.

Betty
11-28-2004, 10:58 PM
It's just a chain link fence actually... that you could fairly easily jump. To me it just seems ridiculous that feminists would at all have an issue with it. Like, totally grasping at straws of what to try and complain about. Just because anybody could easily claim it was more dangerous to them. That means they could get to the point where they could say ANYTHING was more dangerous, which is probably to a certain degree true because they're females, and would have a higher chance of rape (I'm gonna assume that's true, although guys can get attacked too). Oh well, you're not the one who had issue with it anyway... just thought I'd share some feminist love.

I'm glad you agree that it's not the solution to single women and other minority groups out constantly. My personal way to combat anti-femininity is to not think I am any more vulnerable or less capable than a guy. Screw that, I'm going to walk home down the bush path at 2AM if I want to. (where there have been numerous assault reports) I'm not going to live my life in fear. The whole idea of being inferior does not help women... and sure you can go into that it's not their fault, it's society... but you can't always use that as an excuse, just an explanation.

And finally, I'm still a LITTLE sketch on the classroom segregation, but I think it would be an interesting opportunity, and will not deny that it might indeed be beneficial.

Little_Miss_1565
11-29-2004, 05:30 AM
To be fair, there may have been an incident of someone being subjected to racial or sexual violence at that fence, or the administrators at your school might just be oversensitive and there was no complaint from anyone in the student body.

But as for that bush path...please at least walk with a female buddy at 2 am? If there have been reported random assaults there...we musn't live in fear, but we mustn't go so far to that as to put ourselves in known danger.

Vera
11-29-2004, 05:48 AM
Bus path thing - I think there's a difference between living in fear and being sensible. There are places to avoid at certain hours if alone (and sometimes intoxicated).

Betty
11-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Well, when I come home from the library at 2AM, I don't have anybody with me, and sure don't want to take a cab... Or the long way around which is still on deserted streets and takes twice the amount of time.

It's not that dangerous though, there are streetlights, emergency poles, and for the most part is near housing... people know where I am too so would come looking did I not get home... but a lot of people are still scared of it.

If I was intoxicated though, I certainly wouldn't to be out wandering around in the middle of the night. That I don't do.

And about the fence, it's not the administration at all, it was brought up in a letter to the school paper by the women's support group or whatever. And I am PRETTY sure there were no incidents.

wheelchairman
11-29-2004, 01:04 PM
You know what, I don't like you, so fuck off.
Really... you had to prove me right didn't you? More Ricki Lake lines. Why don't you argue like an adult? Surely you can do that?

RXP
11-29-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't necessarily trust your often misogynistic perspective, even though your misogynism might be just a really bad joke.

You should know me by now. I actually think Wheelchair man knows me the best here. My mind changes all the time. Like you said 3 days ago I was so happy, loving myself, then yesterday I got so down cause of this girl who did what she does to me again. Now I'm happy again loving myself.

So my woman hating is a lot like that. I do really hate women sometimes, not all women just on the whole because they're bitches with double standards. But there's a lot of guys who are dicks.

babycraze{Angie}
12-01-2004, 04:10 PM
wow, dipshit, really LAME, and i wasn't talking to you about me being in 7th grade. and reason y they don't move me up is becuz they don't let u skip grades where i live nemore, we're not all in the same school district retard. i was neva talking about the ppl u know, im talking about the ppl I know. so i've got everything covered.