PDA

View Full Version : Body language?

the_GoDdEsS
10-16-2005, 07:08 AM
Are you bouncy when talking to somebody and constantly move around or do you sit still and stay calm?

Do you use gestures? Not at all? Or too many?

Do you make faces as you speak?

What's the typical sign that you're nervous/embarrassed/uncomfortable?

dalaksta
10-16-2005, 07:09 AM
i use gestures, i move sometimes, and when my right knee short of shakes a little

0r4ng3
10-16-2005, 07:10 AM
When I'm nervous, and sometimes when I'm not, my eyes shift from one spot to another quickly, as if I'm not sure whether to look directly at the person I'm talking to.

JoY
10-16-2005, 07:13 AM
I think you already know all these things about me, seeing you've actually met me. =P

omgz, I just realised; we MET. <3

either way; being nervous, I might use too many gestures. & yes, I do make faces. WEIRD ones, as you can see in MANY pictures. & yes, I do bounce. every time I say on here I'm bouncing, I'm actually
-bouncing-. to the point I fall of my chair. when I'm nervous, I talk too loud, use too many gestures, become obnoxious from where I'm sitting, drink too much, or drink too little (at the meet-up, drinking too much was a sign of comfort), am too quiet.... I'm normally in the middle of all these things. obnoxious, nor quiet. when I'm nervous, I become either one of the two.

Punky Dudess
10-16-2005, 07:14 AM
I can't keep my hands still when i talk about something cool/important. and it's my natural instinct to pace about if it's bad knews.

if i'm embarrased i keep my head low so that my hair obscures my face. if i'm nervous, i keep completely still and only tap my foot.

Kitten
10-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Usually I am pretty calm when talking to people, except when I have something that I need to explain, then I use a lot of hand gestures.
Normally people can pick up more from the way I say things as opposed to body gestures.

Tired_Of_You
10-16-2005, 08:54 AM
I don't use many gestures or I just don't realise I do.

I sometimes make faces when I speak as some people told me.

When I'm nervous I sort of shake my leg (?). When I'm really nervous, I talk too much, I walk all around the place if I can do it. (I'm actually trying to remember what I do when I'm nervous and you know, I won't walk all around the class if I'm nervous about an exam or something like that...haha). When I think about it, I must make people more nervous than me. However, I'm not nervous really often, it seems I'm able to control myself.

the_GoDdEsS
10-16-2005, 08:55 AM
I like talking to people when I have something in my hands. It's not disruptive and kind of it's a place where my anxiety and negative energy accumulates when giving a speech, presentation or whatever I need to hold either a pen or a paper. And use the other hand for gestures. It's somewhat easy to talk to people when you're smoking together. I like occupying my hands. I don't move around a lot. And when I'm nervous or uncomfy I touch or skratch (typo but I don't wanna correct that) my forehead or put my hair behind my ears nervously. Or play around with rings. I'm super cool with eye contact. I used to be more anxious about it years ago.

wheelchairman
10-16-2005, 09:19 AM
I use gestures a bit, but I wouldn't say too much. I'm not particularly bouncy, I'm far too energy-efficient ;).

I do make facial expressions though.

And I'm not really nervous. Nor do I show any signs of it. I am perfectly comfortable giving a presentation in front of a group of people I don't know on a subject I didn't study. I can't explain why. I used to be nervous a few years ago, but I guess once you've lived in a country where you speak the native language worse than everyone else, you kinda lose that fear.

-Wheelchairman

I play with my bracelets and necklace a lot when I'm nervous. Actually, I also that when I'm not nervous. Just when I'm talking in general I think. I don't know about gestures and facial expressions...not more than anyone else I think.

- Tizz

TheHulaChick
10-16-2005, 09:24 AM
I often feel a bit nervous when talking to people, so I do move around a lot or play with my hair, rearrange my bracelets etc.

I don't mind looking people in the eye when I talk and I smile lots when talking to people, I think I generally come off as pretty happy and hyper and I make people smile lots when they talk to me.

I think I do make a few silly faces when I talk to people, but I can't help it, it comes with the happy hyper thing that I do.

If I'm uncomfortable tho, I have a habit of looking up to my left, or down to my right as if I'm thinking, when I'm usually not, I'm often just trying to stall or find a quick escape.

Sunny
10-16-2005, 09:45 AM
depends who i'm talking to.

i use *some* gestures and facial expressions... more facial expressions than gestures probably. plus a bunch of weird little sounds like eep, beep, rah, grrr, weeoo, meh.. etc. i'm not very bouncy, but then again, it depends how well i know the person. if i don't, i'm very calm. if i do.... *bounce*

i play with my hair and my ring a lot. i can't help it. ;/

when i'm nervous i bite my lower lip.. that's pretty much the only sign, i think..

Vera
10-16-2005, 09:58 AM
I have a huge problem with doing nothing while speaking. If I'm talking to you, it's likely that I'm playing with something, fiddling something. If I'm talking on the phone, I like to walk around. Same if I'm talking to someone. I find it difficult to look at people in the eye when talking to them. It sort of crowds me.

Betty
10-16-2005, 10:11 AM
I don't know... I don't pay enough attention. You'd have to ask somebody who knows me...

However, the other day I caught this lyric in a song and I really enjoyed it.

How I don't know what I should do with my hands when I talk to you.
How you don't know where you should look, so you look at my hands.

Nina
10-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Like Vera, I walk around when I talk on the phone. However, if I know someone really well, I like to just sit/lay on my bed and talk.
But generally speaking, I make a lot of facial expressions, definitely too many. I've been told that I move my eyes a lot? But I keep the eye-contact, I just like to do that. I also move my hands, and my body (not that I am dancing or anything...) I just generally move while I speak. But I hightly doubt that it bothers people, thus it's not annoying or anything (thank god?). People tend to just laugh after they've spoken to me, I guess my expressions amuse them, I can't say I completely hate that, but I'm not too keen on it either.
For some strange reason, I never play with my hair while speaking to somebody. But I do that when I am bored and not speaking to anyone.
When I am nervous, I tend to giggle, unless it is absolutely inappropriate.

Edit; that sounds fucking gross...of course I dont MOVE my eyes. ew. haha.

killer_queen
10-16-2005, 10:16 AM
depends who i'm talking to.
Same here.
If I'm talking about something serious and if I really want to talk I just use my hands a little but that's all.
When I gossip I can't even sit, I get excited and use my hands more.
Sometimes, really, just sometimes, while talking to someone nice I play with my hair, lick my lips and rub my leg with the other one.
And, if I'm talking with someone I don't like and if I'm argueing with him/her I just have that "I know everything and you're an ignorant piece of shit and I don't care about what you say" smile (if there is something like that). Anyway, I try to do everything to make that person go crazy.

Rancid_Guyxxx
10-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Depending on who I'm talking to and what were talking about I'm usually pretty calm and don't move too much.

I don't really use gestures that much.

Faces as I speak? Not really.

When I'm nervous I will stagger around, eyes shifty, and scratching my head or playing with something. If it's that bad I would be shaking and sweating.

When I'm embarassed my face usually goes extremely red. Then when everybody points it out it goes even more red.

When I'm uncomfortable I usually bite my lower lip and try not to make eye contact.

HeadAroundU
10-16-2005, 10:41 AM
1.Are you bouncy when talking to somebody and constantly move around or do you sit still and stay calm?

2.Do you use gestures? Not at all? Or too many?

3.Do you make faces as you speak?

4.What's the typical sign that you're nervous/embarrassed/uncomfortable?
1.I'm not bouncy.Why should I be???I'm not moving around. ditto
2.yes, but not too many...I think
3.yes,much more than gestures!
4.Holding things, playing with them ,drumming with pen, eating, moving around,sitting motionless.......really depends on situation......

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Even in normal conversation, I use faaar too many gestures. I'm a very physical person - I use my body, and especially my hands, to try and convey what I'm saying. If I'm happy, it's exactly the same and I smile more.

It's very very hard for me to keep eye contact with anyone, I really really have to think about it to do it. Normally I focus on someone's mouth. If I'm nervous, I look down and to the left, usually. Talk to the invisible spot there. But even when I'm nervous I use gestures. That's why I suck on the phone, I use my hands rather than my words to convey meaning.

Kerr
10-16-2005, 11:27 AM
I use a fair amount of gestures - sometimes I will just answer straight, sometimes I move my hands around a lot. I tend not to keep good eye contact - I try to, but I tend not to, I jst glance into the eyes of the other person every now and then but that's about it, really.

Sometimes I don't pull any face at all, and I tend not to open my mouth enough so I mumble incoherent shit. At other times, my face pulling is very noticable, and I find I tend to talk clearly more and mumble less when I am using gestures, pulling more faces and openign my mouth more. I tend not to be in the mood to when bored or tired though. I am NOT a good person to talk to when tired :P

Linda
10-16-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm a very physical person - I use my body, and especially my hands, to try and convey what I'm saying.

How's your head feel? :D

Human
10-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Yeah, um, I use too many face and hand gestures. Sometimes it looks like I'm doing a dance. the way I look when I'm embarrassed, my face is cherry red and I look really hot like I'm about to faint.

the_GoDdEsS
10-16-2005, 02:31 PM
I can relate to the good mood thing very well. It really depends.

HornyPope
10-16-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm not bouncy or anything gay, but I like to make hand gestures in a midst of a conversation and occasionaly I would make facial gestures or move my eyebrows or soemthing, but that's rather rare.

Nina
10-16-2005, 11:29 PM
No, it's not :P

Paint_It_Black
10-17-2005, 01:38 AM
I use hand gestures and facial expressions to emphasize certain points, and I often do it fairly conciously. You can often tell if I'm nervous if you know what to look for, because I over-compensate. It's a trick I learned in highschool for giving presentations. If I'm nervous I'll seem very relaxed and confident, to the untrained eye. I got so good at this facade of confidence that public speaking doesn't bother me at all. I actually find speaking to large groups easier than speaking to an individual, quite often anyway. I'm only shy and nervous when speaking to someone I don't know very well but would like to impress. I get scared of making a bad impression which can easily be a self-fulfilling prophecy. For example, I'm terrible at speaking to attractive girls that I don't know well. I think I often come across as likeable but forgettable, because I'm so afraid of making a bad impression I end up making almost none at all.

Izie
10-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Are you bouncy when talking to somebody and constantly move around or do you sit still and stay calm?

Depends on who I'm talking to and what about. If I'm walking down the street with friends and we're talking, I'm likely to be extremely bouncy and move and giggle all the time.

Do you use gestures? Not at all? Or too many?

Quite a few, but not too many. I'm a trained speaker :p

Do you make faces as you speak?

Oh yes. A lot, too. But only if I'm talking to people I'm relatively close to, otherwise I have the pokerface :|

What's the typical sign that you're nervous/embarrassed/uncomfortable?

I fidget with things. Usually with my phone, because all of a sudden, there's something INCREDIBLY important to do with it :p

Overall, it just REALLY depends who I'm talking to and what about, and even more, in what situation. Something official and/or academic, and I'm all calm and composed and not overdoing anything. Put me in a room with people my age and an informal situation and I'm loud/bouncy/giggly/moving a LOT/making faces, etc.

its one fine day
10-17-2005, 09:48 AM
depends who i'm talking to and what the productive area of discussion is

memento
10-17-2005, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=TheUnholyNightbringer]
It's very very hard for me to keep eye contact with anyone, I really really have to think about it to do it. Normally I focus on someone's mouth. If I'm nervous, I look down and to the left, usually./QUOTE]

I focus on the mouth because some people can't talk so you can lip read them a little.

Rancid_Guyxxx
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm terrible at speaking to attractive girls that I don't know well. I think I often come across as likeable but forgettable, because I'm so afraid of making a bad impression I end up making almost none at all.
Same here. I think that is pretty common though.