PDA

View Full Version : empty spam emails

Nina
10-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Is there any reason why there are spam emails without a content? Is it a baaad idea to open those? I sometimes get spam emails from people whose first names I happen to know, and the emails arent big (since they are empty) so I think they are real and open them...and end up being lost and confused yet again over an email that has nothing written in it.
Does anyone have answers?

arak0r
10-18-2005, 12:17 AM
you prolly shouldnt ever open spam mail miss nina :P not like its gonna have anything good in it anyays right?

Nina
10-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Well I dont do it on purpose!
And since they are completely empty I wonder if it is bad for my PC's health...eep.

arak0r
10-18-2005, 12:39 AM
dunno. id be wary of it. as long as you have an antivirus program or something you should be fine though. just beware any hidden attachments :o

Duracell
10-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Thats so lame

Duracell
10-18-2005, 09:22 AM
no she/he doesn't

memento
10-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Nina if you use outlook express latest version or I'm sure Firefox's email client or access thru a webbased client you are generally safe because they block images unless you want them not to. So perhaps that is why they are empty because they link to one big image but the image cannot be shown due to security settings.

its one fine day
10-18-2005, 11:50 AM
on my old hotmail account a few years ago i got offered to have my penis enlarged

Nina
10-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Thats so lame

err?

memento, thanks! maybe that's it but i wouldnt really know..

and Nina is obviously a female name. You're all idiots but thats okay.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-18-2005, 12:18 PM
err?

memento, thanks! maybe that's it but i wouldnt really know..

and Nina is obviously a female name. You're all idiots but thats okay.

Of course it's not OK. That level of idiocy is simply not acceptable.

Nina
10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Surprisingly enough I got used to it. I just wonder why they need to invade EVERY.SINGLE.THREAD.

Linda
10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
I just wonder why they need to invade EVERY.SINGLE.THREAD.

Because they can?

Jebus
10-18-2005, 03:56 PM
This reminds me of that thread mota boy made listing a bunch of interesting facts. One of them was that if you reply to spam 100 times, they will stop sending you emails for some reason. After trying it a couple times, I could safely say it doesn't work.

nieh
10-18-2005, 05:01 PM
My guess (and it's just a guess) is that they're not really empty, the content is just blocked by whatever you use for e-mail. I have hotmail and it has a tendency to block every picture in any e-mail I receive, spam or otherwise. If an e-mail is written entirely in pictures (I used to have a lot spam like that back before it started blocking the crap for me), then it might just show up blank.

If you use a web-based e-mail address (i.e. hotmail, yahoo, g-mail) they will not open e-mail attachments unless you tell them to, so it's almost impossible to get a virus through them because of some stupid spam. If you're using even a slightly dated version of outlook, then you might be in trouble because if you open the e-mail, it may let the virus in even without you telling it to open the attachment. Everything else you should be fine with though. Except for possible spyware, but I'm not sure how that works through e-mails.